EnglishGermanFrenchRussianItalianSpanish

Boarding attempt of the Aran in AP
View previous topic :: View next topic
Bill Huntington

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Thu, 26. Jul 18, 18:38    Post subject: Boarding attempt of the Aran in AP Reply with quote Print

It's been a while since I boarded the Aran. I decided I'd see if anything had changed in the latest version of AP. I found a few.

I used the Achi with eight Marines, more to see if that was enough than anything else. The marines were all 100 in fight training, 100 in Mechanical, 3 or 4 star in Engineering, two with 5 star in Hacking.

I found a distant Aran on try number ten. I ejected and used the repair laser until I got music. I launched marines and they got in with no losses. So far so good. But they had to find an air lock on Level Four. I reloaded a few times and got the same result. I figured out that the marines that were less than 100 in Engineering were damaging the big ship past critical levels. There were no internal defenses.

I didn't want to search the Great Unknown again. Ten tries might have been lucky. I'd try a few tweaks to see if I could still take the Aran. First I tried with seven marines, after temporarily ejecting a Marine with the lowest Engineering rating. No luck. The seven Marines got in but lost Marines at each level, until there were none. A few reloads showed that seven Marines were not enough.

I remembered a nice trick from my early days. I was in a Mamba and attacking a Albatross for some reason. The sector defenders were attacking me in return. But they couldn't score because I got behind a big screen somewhere on the big TL. The sector defenders fired directly at me but hit the TL screen instead. This isn't the trick exactly. What I did was get inside the open bay of the Aran and use the repair laser on the inside. One TC update changed things so the ship moved if you used the repair laser on it and it wasn't yours yet. If I was inside I'd go with it. I set the Aci to Follow Me so it would circle and hopefully avoid any Aran ramming attempt.

I used the repair laser inside the big bay of the Aran. I got the music so it did work. Five minutes more of the repair laser and the marines made it to Level Five. Fifteen minutes of the repair laser and I got it! In the course of the reloads I noticed that the Aran didn't move at all, even with the continuous use of the repair laser . I didn't need to be inside at all. I finished the last minutes next to Aci.

Any pilots have anything to add about the Aran?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Thu, 26. Jul 18, 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Hi Bill. "I set the Aci to Follow Me so it would circle and hopefully avoid any Aran ramming attempt. "

I wouldn't be that worried about a badly-damaged and untuned Aran with little acceleration and a top speed of a few m/s coupled with a rotational speed of a few degrees per minute. So long as you didn't park your ship in front of its bow, you should have been OK whatever happened. Very Happy

Musicker

PostPosted: Thu, 26. Jul 18, 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Nothing more to really add, just wanted to verify that I had pretty much the same experience every time I acquired an Aran in the past. As long as there were no enemies in the sector, I was always able to jump out, use the repair laser until it gained a couple percentage points of hull, then with a full load of fully trained marines (especially in Engineering and fighting) I was able to successfully capture the ship.

Congrats on the cap, and now you've got me thinking I need to go back to TC yet again.. Smile I've only got about 8000 hours logged on Steam, and 1700 or 1800 I believe in AP.. I just can't stay away for too long. I start getting withdrawl symptoms!

Cheers!

32GB (8GBx4) DDR4/2400MHz Quad Channel
EVGA FTW Edition NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 ACX
1TB Samsung 840 PRO Series SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD
Jimmy C

PostPosted: Sun, 29. Jul 18, 11:05    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

For capturing the Aran, I recommend an M6 that can equip the Tractor Beam. Use maxed marines and save on Pods via spacewalk boarding. It's not going anywhere anyway.

After capturing it and returning to regular space, use the Tractor Beam to haul it to some place you want to deal with it. Either the PHQ for RE or a shipyard for repair.