X:BTF Unable to launch game (GOG version) (Newb to series) - Resolved by reinstall

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

ChozoSR388
xr

X:BTF Unable to launch game (GOG version) (Newb to series) - Resolved by reinstall

Post by ChozoSR388 » Tue, 24. Jul 18, 18:57

So, first off, I'd like to say hi, as I'm new to both the X series and to the forums.

The issue that I'm having with X: Beyond The Frontier is that when I try to start the game with settings off, it gives me this error message:

Code: Select all

Error opening video.
Check your display settings!
Further information can be found in the manual or
readme.txt

Another error I've been getting is this:

Code: Select all

Your machine is low on virtual memory. Please free
about 100MB space on your harddrive and start X again!
The machine I'm trying to run the game on is:

Make/Model: Lenovo IdeaPad 110-15IBR

CPU: intel Celeron (dual-core) @ 1.6GHz (2.48GHz max)

RAM: 4GB of DDR3L (SODIMM) RAM (soldered :cry: )

Storage: 500GB 5400 RPM 2.5" HDD (345GB free)

Graphics: intel HD Graphics 400 chipset 128MB (2132MB total available with shared system memory)

This is pretty much my retro gaming rig, though it plays stuff up until around 2004/2005 without much trouble, which is what confuses me about this.

In short, any insight into the issue would be most appreciated
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." --Dr. Seuss

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Tue, 24. Jul 18, 19:18

tried to remove the tag "start with last settings"?
Your graphics is quite limited.
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

ChozoSR388
xr

Post by ChozoSR388 » Tue, 24. Jul 18, 19:57

If you mean unchecked the top box on the start dialog, yes. It said to uncheck it when testing with a 3D accelerator for the first time. It's not that limited; it plays X2 no problem, not to mention, as I said, stuff newer than X1/X2 (~2004-2005) I just can't get X1 to start, so I'm looking for some help in getting it to start. As I said, I'm new to the games, and have no idea what makes them tick.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." --Dr. Seuss

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 24. Jul 18, 22:54

Hi. I have moved your thread to the correct forum for XBtF Tech Support issues.

Could you please post a DxDiag so that we can have a look at your system and drivers.

I'm not too familiar with GOG so are you confident that your game is fully installed and updated to the latest version (v2.2)?

I hope we can help you to get into the game.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

ChozoSR388
xr

Post by ChozoSR388 » Tue, 24. Jul 18, 23:43

Yeah, sure thing. Sorry for putting it in the wrong section. Here's the DxDiag dump: DxDiag.txt I had actually dumped this a coouple days ago, as I was trying to get some assistance with another game from GOG. This is on PasteBin. And as to the question about GOG, Yeah, reasonably confident. It does denote the currently installed version as '2.2'.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 25. Jul 18, 12:47

Thanks. The DxDiag tells me a few things:

1. Both your Intel graphics driver and your Realtek sound driver are versions from 2016. Update to latest versions from their respective driver update sites to get drivers optimised for latest Win10 builds.

2. Your onboard graphics has hardly any dedicated VRAM and so has to use system RAM as shared graphics memory. You only have 4GB of that and so you will be heavily dependent on pagefile/swapfile use of hard drive space as virtual memory for many applications. You currently have your pagefile limited to 6 GB and have already committed the majority of that. Try increasing the size allocation of your pagefile to 8 GB or more and see if that helps. (At least it may make the relevant error message go away.)

3. Your Windows Error Reports include a few RADAR_PRE_LEAK_WOW64 errors for various applications and that generally is associated with temporary RAM availability to meet demand issues. That tends to support memory availability as being a general issue for you.

4. You have some other Lenovo system start up repair error reports but I expect that you are aware of those.

One piece of advice with your system; minimise or stop unnecessary background applications and services while gaming as these can place added demands on your memory and system resources.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

ChozoSR388
xr

Post by ChozoSR388 » Wed, 25. Jul 18, 18:15

Alright. Well, as to the RAM, it looks like, (according to the specs on the Lenovo website, as well as having taken off the back casing, that 4GB is all this litttle retro beast is ever gonna see, as the RAM that is installed is soldered to the motherboard, and there's no SODIMM slot on the board. I'll deal with the pagefile stuff, see if that fixes the issue, but I was actually unaware of the startup issues or the driver age; I just did a refresh not too long ago, but I'll see if the updated drivers are available on the Lenovo site, or from the chipset manufacturers. Did it mention what the startup issues are? I'm afraid I've never gotten around to learning what the stuff in the DXDiag reports means. It's all Greek to me, for the most part.

Edit: X:BTF is now working. Quite nicely, even. I had to re-install it, though.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 25. Jul 18, 22:24

Good to hear. I guess it was initially just a bad install from GOG after all. Updating drivers is usually a good move though.

ChozoSR388
xr

Post by ChozoSR388 » Thu, 26. Jul 18, 01:51

'Tis quite true. Thank you for the help :) Oh, by the way, how does one register or find the registration codes for their game(s)? I didn't notice any registration code in my GOG install folder for that.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 26. Jul 18, 10:04

There are no registration codes for the earlier games in the series on GoG.

ChozoSR388
xr

Post by ChozoSR388 » Thu, 26. Jul 18, 15:04

Alrighty, then that explains a lot hahaha. Wasn't sure about that, so thanks!

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”