Oh the Argonity!

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Imgran

Oh the Argonity!

Post by Imgran » Fri, 20. Jul 18, 04:14

I was building a solar power plant in Argon Prime because I need the factories there, and despite power plants in the next sector over, the factories there seem chronically undersupplied with E-Cells.

I wanted to put it high and out of the space lanes, for my own convenience if for no other reason, so I selected a spot on the vertical and horizontal grid, high above the 0 plane and out of the way.

I saw a couple ships in the general area but thought nothing of it. The autopilot should steer them clear after the station was built... right?

Right?

I wish I caught a screenshot of this, because the scene is actually kind of amazing. As the SPP XL spawns into being, there's one of the Argon capital ships right there, stuck in the middle of it. Before the building cutscene is over, it's been reduced to a debris-ridden fireball, as of course happens to any ship that clips into a station.

At the time though, I thought it was one of the 2 Colossi that like to hang around in Argon Prime, since all Argon ships are just different sizes of oblong blocky silverness so that it's hard to tell them apart unless they're sitting next to other Argon ships.

And then I noticed that compared to the SPP, that ship had been rather large.

No.

No way.

That is NOT POSSIBLE.

I brought up the sector map.

Argon One was gone. I had just blown up the flagship of the Federation in a freak accident.

Ay yai yai.

I mean I'm sure there will be another one, heck it's probably under construction, I've done a lot of work to build up the Argon economy, so there's no doubt they can afford it.

But I mean... what do you call it? How do you follow up on Argon One? Argon Two? Argon One-A? Argon One: The Return? I dunno. All I know is if I don't make the history books for any other reason, that one will get me there.
OTAS -- it's like 42, the answer to life, the universe, and everything

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Fri, 20. Jul 18, 06:34

Argon One-Oh-Sh**?

Hint: I always build SPPs high (10km) above the gates. I build always two, so I can put the complex center close to the gate without disturbing traffic...

cu
Rainer

DrSuperEvil
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by DrSuperEvil » Fri, 20. Jul 18, 12:57

I build 40km above the gates so it is out of scanner range if a hostile patrol moves through.

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Fri, 20. Jul 18, 12:58

Argon Another One

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Fri, 20. Jul 18, 13:29

Krypton One and the hole Federation gets renamed.
Argon Newone...
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 20. Jul 18, 13:49

Ah! Gone! Won?

Or, in your best TV football scores announcer voice: "Argon: One, Your SPP Alpha: Five."

The thing I find really odd is that the game actually allowed you to drop the station with a bloody great ship in the way. You normally get that random station position icon blink dance around the sector map when there is going to be a build collision.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Imgran

Post by Imgran » Fri, 20. Jul 18, 15:35

I thought that was odd too. I think the game is supposed to teleport ships (yours and NPC) out of the way of any station construction.

Working theory: The size of an XL SPP, combined with the size of Argon One, threw the algorithm off

Hemmingfish

Post by Hemmingfish » Fri, 20. Jul 18, 16:58

Imgran wrote:I thought that was odd too. I think the game is supposed to teleport ships (yours and NPC) out of the way of any station construction.

Working theory: The size of an XL SPP, combined with the size of Argon One, threw the algorithm off
It's never done that. Station Bombing - constructing cheap stations on top of enemy capital ships - has been a strategy for 100,000 years.
I'm impressed the Argon One didn't have plot armour. I always assumed it did.

Imgran

Post by Imgran » Fri, 20. Jul 18, 19:03

Never heard of this before. Then again, I've never gotten this deep into a game before, I'm usually a bit of a "love it and leave it" player, but x3 has had me hooked

Imgran

Post by Imgran » Fri, 20. Jul 18, 21:57

RainerPrem wrote:Argon One-Oh-Sh**?

Hint: I always build SPPs high (10km) above the gates. I build always two, so I can put the complex center close to the gate without disturbing traffic...

cu
Rainer
I had the station at least 15km above the plane of the gates. That just happened to be ex-fracking-zactly where Argon One was hanging out, for no discernable reason.

JJRSC
x4

Post by JJRSC » Sat, 21. Jul 18, 23:53

Banzai One?

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Sun, 22. Jul 18, 05:44

Reconstruction One
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Tue, 24. Jul 18, 15:11

Time for "Argon One II". Kind of reminds me of "Nulli Secundus II": the British airship which replaced "Nulli Secundus" (Latin for "Second to None").

Not surprised that station-bombing was able to kill it, but it will be interesting to see if it respawns.

DrSuperEvil
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by DrSuperEvil » Tue, 24. Jul 18, 15:52

Argon One Is a job (5001) so it respawns and the respawn time is 1h.

Many player use that as an M1 for boarding alternative to the Yaki Shuri and the Duke's Odysseus.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 24. Jul 18, 16:12

This Ain't One Builder's Beacon

In hindsight, Adv. Sat. video feed is your&their best friend.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Imgran

Post by Imgran » Tue, 24. Jul 18, 17:01

I'm kind of partial to "Argon Another One."

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”