what type of system will i need to run X4?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Chrisalddin
xrvr

Post by Chrisalddin » Sun, 24. Jun 18, 07:54

follow up question.
i am looking at a Ryxen 5 2600. (not the 2600x)
but the Rexen 5 2400G also got my eye.
why did it get my eye? it's APU.
now i know i am going to need to get a new GFX card at some point.
but looking on GPU comparison site's the RX Vega 11 Graphics are said to be 100% better then the asus HD 7770 2gb i run at this time.
here is a Link to the webpage to see what i going on about
http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.ph ... %20Edition

question is. do i live with the bottle nick for about 6 to 9 weeks (9 is on the extreem end) and get the 2600 (price is about £160 and a nice allround CPU). or do i get the slow yet still good 2400G cpu (price of the 2400G is about £140)
i can not help but think the 2600's 6 core 12 threads would be better for X4. next to the 4 core 8 threads the 2400g has.
see the info for euch CPU Here.

anyone on here for a Point of View they would like to chip in.

Yaunm
xr

Post by Yaunm » Sat, 30. Jun 18, 03:52

There is not enough information about X4 to make any kind of decision.

-Realistically your current CPU will be enough to play X4
-An integrated GPU, even the newest one will not be able to play modern games with acceptable framerates
-Getting a 4/8 cpu now is.. questionable.

-> Get a 1050ti and if X4 turns out to be a multithreaded game, update to a ryzen 6/12 or 8/16, depending on how many threads the game actually uses.( my guess is 4, so you are already set).

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 1. Jul 18, 15:20

Just to confirm a couple of things.

1. On-board graphics are not recommended for X4, regardless of how "good" they are. In addition to the obvious performance issues, there is rarely good driver support for them at the best of times, but this is especially for true for Vulkan.
2. The basic threading model for X4 is pretty similar to that for XR. That model makes very heavy use of 2 threads, and good use of at least 2-4 more. It will gain some advantage from additional threads after that, but beyond about 8 threads the improvement will be pretty small.

Chrisalddin
xrvr

Post by Chrisalddin » Sun, 1. Jul 18, 18:42

CBJ wrote:Just to confirm a couple of things.

1. On-board graphics are not recommended for X4, regardless of how "good" they are. In addition to the obvious performance issues, there is rarely good driver support for them at the best of times, but this is especially for true for Vulkan.
2. The basic threading model for X4 is pretty similar to that for XR. That model makes very heavy use of 2 threads, and good use of at least 2-4 more. It will gain some advantage from additional threads after that, but beyond about 8 threads the improvement will be pretty small.
ok so i am guessing a Ryzen 2700X would be Overkill :P 8 core 16 threads

Spaceman Sublime
x4

Post by Spaceman Sublime » Mon, 2. Jul 18, 18:54

Yaunm wrote:There is not enough information about X4 to make any kind of decision.

-Realistically your current CPU will be enough to play X4
-An integrated GPU, even the newest one will not be able to play modern games with acceptable framerates
-Getting a 4/8 cpu now is.. questionable.

-> Get a 1050ti and if X4 turns out to be a multithreaded game, update to a ryzen 6/12 or 8/16, depending on how many threads the game actually uses.( my guess is 4, so you are already set).
So wait, Im running an Intel i7 7700k and a GTX 1070. I just built this computer and decided on the 7700k over the 8700k because of how much more expensive 8700k compatible parts are. But the 7700k is a 4 core 8 thread processor. According to this, was this a poor choice and I should have spent the extra ~$1,000 USD on the 6 core 12 thread 8700k?

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Mon, 2. Jul 18, 19:39

not at all - the 7700K with a GTX1070 is perfectly capable of handling the load..
you'd get some gain from using an SSD for your Steam library, but mostly on scene-changes or loading in game-saves..
64-bit memory management will expedite the game's architecture, too - I imagine
you really notice the difference when a prog is designed to optimise those features..
CorelDraw is a good example - 64-bit version is much more efficient in handling large data ops and transfers, particularly when offloading to GFX RAM for greater thru-put
Last edited by BugMeister on Mon, 2. Jul 18, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 2. Jul 18, 21:53

Spaceman Sublime wrote: So wait, Im running an Intel i7 7700k and a GTX 1070. I just built this computer and decided on the 7700k over the 8700k because of how much more expensive 8700k compatible parts are. But the 7700k is a 4 core 8 thread processor. According to this, was this a poor choice and I should have spent the extra ~$1,000 USD on the 6 core 12 thread 8700k?
If you read the comment 2 up from yours from CBJ--who is actually one of the developers of the game--he says it doesn't get much benefit beyond 6-8 threads.

Spaceman Sublime
x4

Post by Spaceman Sublime » Mon, 2. Jul 18, 22:10

While I do appreciate you pointing this out, my concern was more for general computing rather than for X4 specifically. I had to upgrade recently because my laptop had become a "shit top" and I wasn't about to pour a lot of money into a laptop again when I could just build a modular system (yay modules!).

Perhaps this wasn't the best place to express my concern, and for that I apologize.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 2. Jul 18, 22:30

Spaceman Sublime wrote:the 7700k is a 4 core 8 thread processor. According to this, was this a poor choice and I should have spent the extra ~$1,000 USD on the 6 core 12 thread 8700k?
What is that "extra $1000" made of?

Intel's "Recommended Customer Prices":

Code: Select all

7700K: $339 -- $350
8700K: $359 -- $370

I don't think that "general computing" will choke on mere 8 threads for some while still.

Spaceman Sublime
x4

Post by Spaceman Sublime » Mon, 2. Jul 18, 22:34

While the prices for the processors are similar, about a 60 dollar difference on most retail sites, the extra money comes from the parts such as the motherboard that are compatible with the 8800k, which at the time of my build, were still newish and pricey. This was about 8 months ago I believe. Also since this was my first ever computer build ever, I had to learn how to build a computer, and had to set a budget aside for things I did not have yet like a mouse/ keyboard/ monitor/ case/ speakers/ etc etc that I will not need to purchase for future builds.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 3. Jul 18, 08:30

"General computing" isn't going to benefit from huge numbers of threads. The sorts of workloads that *do* benefit from those are either heavy computing loads (e.g. video rendering and the like), or else when you're seriously into multitasking--e.g. running half a dozen processor intensive apps at the same time. Very few people are likely to fall into that category--you might do if you're streaming games on Twitch, because the game itself will use a chunk of CPU and having some spare for the streaming software is good.

Chrisalddin
xrvr

Post by Chrisalddin » Tue, 3. Jul 18, 11:04

and that is something i may wish to do with x4. strem it on Twitch.
that is IF. i can get in to the game XR i yet to fully get in to.
i miss the jump gates... it was a easy to understadn system of travel.
all i end up doing on the speed ways in XR is going round in lops. round and round.

Chrisalddin
xrvr

Post by Chrisalddin » Wed, 11. Jul 18, 21:25

well if anyone cears.
i doing a Ryzen 2600 build.
in a Asrock X470 Master SLI Motherboard,
with G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB DDR4-3000 Memory kit.
in a Fractal Design Define R6 Black with TG.

i will update my GFX card later on (about 10 week's) to a 1060 6gb.
i was after something i would be happy with.
and i think i will be happy!

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Wed, 11. Jul 18, 21:56

wow, looking good there.. :roll:

PS: what's the latest with X4..??
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Wed, 11. Jul 18, 22:35

Chrisalddin wrote:well if anyone cears.

I have similar plans :D
Though I am going to buy an older X360 motherboard for the R2600 because they are way cheaper and currently it looks like it is going to be an RX580 because they are cheaper right now as well, at least where I live.

However, this might change a lot until X4 comes out, so there is still time for the 1060 :D. Video prices are falling on a daily basis, not to say plummeting.

And hopefully Egosoft is able to optimize for the Ryzen architecture as well! :D CBJ! :D

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Chrisalddin
xrvr

Post by Chrisalddin » Wed, 11. Jul 18, 23:14

Tamina wrote:
Chrisalddin wrote:well if anyone cears.

I have similar plans :D
Though I am going to buy an older X360 motherboard for the R2600 because they are way cheaper and currently it looks like it is going to be an RX580 because they are cheaper right now as well, at least where I live.

However, this might change a lot until X4 comes out, so there is still time for the 1060 :D. Video prices are falling on a daily basis, not to say plummeting.

And hopefully Egosoft is able to optimize for the Ryzen architecture as well! :D CBJ! :D
i think you was trying to say AMD X370 chipset. as i dont think there is a X360.
ok one thing you need to know about is that If the bios on the board is not updated. (aka the board is 1st wave stock from last year.) you need a AMD CPU to update the bios so it can see and use the Ryzen 2000 CPU's there is a Label on the box for that.
look like this

if it dont have that. it will as i said need a bios update and for that only the Asus Hero X370 can do it without a Cpu install.
and the Asus hero X370 is NOT cheep!
if you order on line it will be Hit or miss if you get one with a updated Bios or not.

BTW my board cost £131

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Wed, 11. Jul 18, 23:59

@Chrisalddin
Thanks for the tip, much appreciated! :)
Hmmm, this sounds risky then. :( Especially because I am planning to buy online. Not even sure there are any stores selling single computer components.

Correction: I meant the B350 chipset but got confused a little with all those numbers. It is cheaper (80€/70£ vs 150€/131£) since there are no B450 chipsets, yet. And I was told X470 has only minor advantages to X370 for a higher price, so the same would probably go for B350->B450.

50£ are 50£. hmmm.
I am also going for cheaper other components, too, to reach an overall price of currently ~660£ and falling. So there is no "just" 50£ more.

Will think about it, thanks for the warning!

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Chrisalddin
xrvr

Post by Chrisalddin » Thu, 12. Jul 18, 00:11

Tamina wrote:@Chrisalddin
Thanks for the tip, much appreciated! :)
Hmmm, this sounds risky then. :( Especially because I am planning to buy online. Not even sure there are any stores selling single computer components.

Correction: I meant the B350 chipset but got confused a little with all those numbers. It is cheaper (80€/70£ vs 150€/131£) since there are no B450 chipsets, yet. And I was told X470 has only minor advantages to X370 for a higher price, so the same would probably go for B350->B450.

50£ are 50£. hmmm.
I am also going for cheaper other components, too, to reach an overall price of currently ~660£ and falling. So there is no "just" 50£ more.

Will think about it, thanks for the warning!
ok the B450 board are comming. and soon. i will be shocked if you can not buy then with in the next 6 weeks.
however if you think geting a X370 online with ready for ryzen 2000 is hard i think geting B350 with ryzen 2000 online is hader still.

you can try calling the online shop. try ebuyer or novatech. both look to be good for customer service. never needed it myself but give it a go.
you never know.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 12. Jul 18, 00:38

Chrisalddin wrote:i doing a Ryzen 2600 build.
Power? Storage?
How cool/quiet is the AMD stock cooler?

Chrisalddin
xrvr

Post by Chrisalddin » Thu, 12. Jul 18, 00:48

jlehtone wrote:
Chrisalddin wrote:i doing a Ryzen 2600 build.
Power? Storage?
How cool/quiet is the AMD stock cooler?
power? as in PSU going to use the Evga 650 GQ i got the other week
only just placed the order for the SSD and it over kill to the extreem a 970 Evo 250gb.
as for the cooler. stock for now. but i have plans to Buy a AIO 240 soon.
also i have no idea as right now it not Built yet. the motherboard and Ram should get to me within the next 9 to 20 hours.
also the Define R6 has sound dampening. so i could never give you a real sound level of the system. also also. i have a Air Fan in my HOT no Air Flow Room. so witht that on almost all the time i tend not to hear the old PC Fans and tham are not Quite!

Return to “Off Topic English”