first person NPC interaction/conversation

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

donzi
x4

first person NPC interaction/conversation

Post by donzi » Tue, 19. Jun 18, 11:01

It sure would be nice if the player 'head' didn't follow every movement the NPC made. Although I have not been able to determine if there will be smalltalk as we know it in XR, but having the smalltalk graphic moving around because the NPC is flapping their arms doesn't help the reputation of smalltalk imo. ;)

Similarly, some of the head yanks are kind of annoying. Perhaps they can yank and then release somehow -- particularly when they are apt to trigger while the player is flying.

..how many people would give undivided attention to the passenger by looking at them while driving down the highway?

At best, look over for a sec in acknowledgement, then listen/reply while attention is back where it needs to be.

Fleabum
x4

Re: first person NPC interaction/conversation

Post by Fleabum » Tue, 19. Jun 18, 12:14

donzi wrote:..how many people would give undivided attention to the passenger by looking at them while driving down the highway?
Actually more than you would believe. I see people day after day on the motorway spending more time looking at the passenger while talking to them than concentrating on the road ahead....

Regards
Flea

donzi
x4

Post by donzi » Tue, 19. Jun 18, 14:06

I expected that to be pointed out.. Also thought about people texting and stuff.

I'm not sure how to phrase to OP to distinguish between those that should perhaps pay more for insurance than those who shouldn't.

spankahontis
x4

Re: first person NPC interaction/conversation

Post by spankahontis » Tue, 19. Jun 18, 20:03

donzi wrote:It sure would be nice if the player 'head' didn't follow every movement the NPC made. Although I have not been able to determine if there will be smalltalk as we know it in XR, but having the smalltalk graphic moving around because the NPC is flapping their arms doesn't help the reputation of smalltalk imo. ;)

Similarly, some of the head yanks are kind of annoying. Perhaps they can yank and then release somehow -- particularly when they are apt to trigger while the player is flying.

..how many people would give undivided attention to the passenger by looking at them while driving down the highway?

At best, look over for a sec in acknowledgement, then listen/reply while attention is back where it needs to be.

Don't understand what you're saying?

You mean when you start a conversation their Heads turn towards you and never do anything else until you break the conversation?

In which case, I agree with you, they should look at you then after a while they should go back to their idle animation, or a mix of the 2, flipping back and fourth every several seconds?
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

donzi
x4

Post by donzi » Tue, 19. Jun 18, 22:11

There are/were two different things I was addressing with current XR methods. In both cases I am talking about vanilla XR. Maybe the following will better explain what I meant in the first post.

A) the player head/eye following NPC movement

This can be seen on all NPC conversations basically. It's more pronounced with standing NPC, usually. Easiest way to see it is do smalltalk with an NPC and explore as much dialogues as possible. There will most likely be several places you can observe the player eyes/head moving around in sync with any NPC gestures or fully body movement.

B) the head yanks

This can be seen anytime you initiate convo with an NPC and you are not facing them. The most severe ones IMO are plot instances where the game initiates a convo to the player via yisha. If player uses an owned cap ship to get a ride -- if player remains withing a certain distance of the captain after giving a 'take me to' order, at the conclusion of the trip player head is yanked to face the captain as they state 'we have arrived' -- ironically the captain may not even be facing the player which is rude. ;)

update: that last example isn't accurate. I am not certain of the exact circumstances where the captain will yank the player view to them. I tried a 'take me to' and stayed close to the captain and on arrival they didn't demand my focus. It DOES happen though, fwiw.

Return to “X4: Foundations”