Spaceflies Post #392348

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

rrfarmer
x4

Spaceflies Post #392348

Post by rrfarmer » Thu, 14. Jun 18, 17:10

GUYS

So, maybe I'm going at this all wrong. I've been sitting in Savage Spur for about 2 hours with low seta, also looking around with video enhancement goggles, ready and waiting with my Ion Disruptor. Changing positions around the asteroids every so often.

Also on the other side of the universe, at Strong Arms HQ, I have a trader ready and waiting to buy any spaceflies that come up for sale.....

Guys, what am I doing wrong???

This is for the plot mission, literally stuck on it.... also would like that steam achievement cause I'm an achievement whore. :P

DrSuperEvil
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by DrSuperEvil » Thu, 14. Jun 18, 19:46

Space flies like being near asteroids. There are guaranteed spawns of them in the UFJD sector. You can also raid NPC hunters for them.

rrfarmer
x4

Post by rrfarmer » Thu, 14. Jun 18, 20:55

I saw those mentioned elsewhere, but also saw someone say that didn't work either....

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 14. Jun 18, 20:56

The harder you actively look for them (and the faster you are going), the less likely you are to find them. :D

In my opinion, park stationary next to some cluster of asteroids and just wait. Alternatively engage in some fighting and then hang around in the aftermath amongst all the debris and bailed ships. (I think they like the taste of the expended weapons energy.)
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Thu, 14. Jun 18, 22:06

You know, in about 8 years of playing X3 on and off I've never ever seen a spacefly. I've heard them a few times, but never saw one. Until I started another playthrough of TC recently. Using mostly slower ships and often just sitting about thinking and giving orders, something I rarely did out of dock previously (which supports Alan's observation. If you're always on the move and fast the most you'd hear is them whizzing by and a splat). But now I'm encountering them quite often, I even started thinking they were after me!

Just a few locations where I definitely remember running into them:
Spoiler
Show
- as mentioned, UFJD sectors, often directly on arrival
- Black Hole Sun, NE part of sector: that one I remember specifically because it was the first time I saw a swarm from a distance through goggles
- Nathan's Voyage
- Hatikvah's Faith
- Kingdom End

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Post by Bill Huntington » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 03:05

They come and they're gone so quickly. They're definitely hard to hit. And you need 10 for the plot.

I grab them early in the game when I know it's coming. After that I check Pirate Bases when I just come into a sector. If I have no luck I destroy a base where I know that base spawns again in the same place. Then you have to wait a game day or so for it respawn. Strong Arms HQ is one. And you need good rep with the race, so non-attributable missiles help with that. Edit: Bad rep means the station comes back red, which you can't access. Good rep and the station is blue.

Good luck.
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

rrfarmer
x4

Post by rrfarmer » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 05:40

Spoiler
Show
I GOT ONE! It was in the UFJJ sector. Just had to sit where I jumped in for a few minutes and I HEARD IT!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1412062260

RainerPrem
x4

Re: Spaceflies Post #392348

Post by RainerPrem » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 06:13

rrfarmer wrote:GUYS

So, maybe I'm going at this all wrong. I've been sitting in Savage Spur for about 2 hours with low seta, also looking around with video enhancement goggles, ready and waiting with my Ion Disruptor. Changing positions around the asteroids every so often.

Also on the other side of the universe, at Strong Arms HQ, I have a trader ready and waiting to buy any spaceflies that come up for sale.....

Guys, what am I doing wrong???

This is for the plot mission, literally stuck on it.... also would like that steam achievement cause I'm an achievement whore. :P
Just for future retrials:
Spoiler
Show
If you select the Yaki (Beryll) as your friends for this plot they fill one of your freighters with all the three goods you need in that phase.

cu
Rainer

DrSuperEvil
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by DrSuperEvil » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 14:36

I always side with Beryll because of the IBL and PBG forges. The Adv Chokaro plans are also useful.

I also see alot of spaceflies in Olmakleslat's Treaty.

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 14:56

Congrats!

rrfarmer
x4

Post by rrfarmer » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 16:15

@RauberOrem WHAT!?!

Yeah, I forget why I sided with Strong Arms..... One of those games where I come back 6 months later. :)

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 16:24

I've seen spaceflies before in my 1000++ hours of playing time, but I can probably number the occasions on the fingers of one hand. Capturing 10 for the plot seems like a lot, unless you're given hints or otherwise made aware of when and where they're more likely to appear. That's something that practically requires outside knowledge of the game (a forum topic, guide, or wiki).

That shouldn't be necessary in a well-written mission.

rrfarmer
x4

Post by rrfarmer » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 17:03

UPDATE

So.... I try not to get mad at games, lol. Spawned into unknown sector, DOZENS OF SPACEFLIES! Got enough for the mission, Xenon start shooting me..... Hit UFJJ as fast as I can, manage to jump out, load back into normal space and BOOM. Game over. WOW.....

Got the Fly Swatter achievement tho. :)

rrfarmer
x4

Post by rrfarmer » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 17:05

Also, since I'm not looking, nor can capture an Aran..... I've seen about 5 today. lololol

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Fri, 15. Jun 18, 21:38

He that seeketh findeth. Sometimes findeth even if not seeketh. ;)

Honved, EgoSoft just couldn't help but plug a tribute to fans into their missions. I mean, you're right, it does require knowledge, either long-standing from previous games, or acquired from someone that already possesses it. It's just one mission among many. 10 flies pale before TC Hub plot anyway (especially before patches).

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”