DLC, will Egosoft return to the dark days of Rebirth?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

DLC, do you want it,yes, no or maybe?

Yes, I would love DLC
53%
NO, I hate DLC
17%
Maybe? The middleground seems nice
30%

Total votes: 81

blotunga
xr

Post by blotunga » Wed, 6. Jun 18, 07:58

DLCs just make me wait longer for the "Complete" version of any game. I have nothing against them, except that I avoid most games until I'm fairly sure no more DLCs are coming.

sd_jasper
x4

Post by sd_jasper » Wed, 6. Jun 18, 15:01

blotunga wrote:DLCs just make me wait longer for the "Complete" version of any game. I have nothing against them, except that I avoid most games until I'm fairly sure no more DLCs are coming.
Did you wait for Albion Prelude before getting Terran Conflict?

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Wed, 6. Jun 18, 15:13

blotunga wrote:DLCs just make me wait longer for the "Complete" version of any game. I have nothing against them, except that I avoid most games until I'm fairly sure no more DLCs are coming.

It's what put me off buying XCom 2, I bought the First XCOM, then they released a complete edition with the DLC I missed, Operation Slingshot and the one with the Psyonic women Ava (Until they added that DLC with Enemy Within).

It's also left me more cautious of games, Prefer the Game, a £25-30 Expansion a year later and just keep those coming. The way it used to be.
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 6. Jun 18, 16:23

Warnoise wrote:As long as the devs don't go full paradox on us bombarding us with dozens of worthless DLC's then I am ok. Adding new race, new ships, new systems as DLC would be fine imo
I will be one of those that will "defend" the Paradox model and would full support Ego for the same move, adjusted to the X reality.

EU4 is from 2013 and still today I play BECAUSE they change stuff around and add new features. Along with any paid DLC is lots of free stuff in patches. I find it a pretty balanced aproach for long term polishing and evolving of big games. Obviously this model does not agree with many games and does not mean its the right move for all of them. But Long lived games that benefit from extended polish and tweaking, have this way a good avenue for funding by breaking it up over time.

That you can pick and choose which DLC to buy at what time is also not to be discarded. Pizza aint free ;-)

MFG

Ketraar

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Wed, 6. Jun 18, 17:05

Being able to pick and choose is good in theory, but makes it difficult to mod the game extensively when you don't know what DLCs the individual player may be using or not using. It's not too bad when there's a year or two between versions, but when you have new DLCs out every few months, it's like shooting at a moving target.

The major redesigns of the program (X to X2 to X3 to X4) involve engine and major graphics/animation changes. The minor revisions (X3 to X3:R to X3:TC to X3:AP) add moderate amounts of content and new plots. Anything less than that belongs in the "patch" category, not DLC, or else is non-essential to the game, such as music, graphical improvements like exhaust trails or higher resolution textures, or external utilities (station design calculator, etc.).

sd_jasper
x4

Post by sd_jasper » Wed, 6. Jun 18, 17:33

People use the term DLC for a lot of different things. Some DLC is no different from what use to be called "Expansions" or "add-on" in the past. Other is a lot closer to "micro-trans" type of small content. And there is a lot of space in-between these two.

So, when someone says, "No DLC"... they are basically saying no gimmicky micro-transactions... and also no Expansions. And that's fine. I like additional content being developed post-launch. (I also know a bit about how game development cycles work, and understand that it is often preferable to have just some staff work on the "Next Big Thing"... and need to find work for the remaining staff until NBT is ready for more work).

blotunga
xr

Post by blotunga » Thu, 7. Jun 18, 14:14

sd_jasper wrote:
Did you wait for Albion Prelude before getting Terran Conflict?
As a matter of fact I didn't. But that's just because Egosoft didn't used to have DLCs. And also I almost regret not waiting and install a mod to include the TC plot into AP. All those hours building the HUB are in TC, while in AP I have a different save with different things.
Ketraar wrote:
Warnoise wrote:As long as the devs don't go full paradox on us bombarding us with dozens of worthless DLC's then I am ok. Adding new race, new ships, new systems as DLC would be fine imo
I will be one of those that will "defend" the Paradox model and would full support Ego for the same move, adjusted to the X reality.

EU4 is from 2013 and still today I play BECAUSE they change stuff around and add new features. Along with any paid DLC is lots of free stuff in patches. I find it a pretty balanced aproach for long term polishing and evolving of big games. Obviously this model does not agree with many games and does not mean its the right move for all of them. But Long lived games that benefit from extended polish and tweaking, have this way a good avenue for funding by breaking it up over time.

That you can pick and choose which DLC to buy at what time is also not to be discarded. Pizza aint free ;-)

MFG

Ketraar
So you're ok with paying 300 euros for the complete version of your game? I have bought Crusader Kings 2 years ago, but haven't bought any DLC after they started the flood.

sd_jasper
x4

Post by sd_jasper » Thu, 7. Jun 18, 16:53

blotunga, the problem is that you can't know the future, so how can you ever buy any game? Postal 2 had a DLC pack come out 11 years after the game!

I think you just have to ask yourself if the base game is worth the price and if you can deal with either not buying the DLC or spending more to get post launch content.

To be honest, there are a lot of games that I don't buy the DLC for as I think they are overpriced for too little content. And I really don't like "season passes" (worse than pre-orders). When a game launches with a "season pass" option, I often find myself thinking that I'll just wait for the "Game of the Year Edition" to come out with the bundled DLC.

But there are plenty of games that I know will have DLC, but I still (1) trust the developer to create a "complete" game with just what ships at launch, and (2) find that game to be worth the asking price. Sometimes I get the post-launch DLC, sometimes I don't. But I'm not going to not buy a game that I want and will enjoy just because they will (or might) create DLC in the future.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Thu, 7. Jun 18, 19:39

blotunga wrote:So you're ok with paying 300 euros for the complete version of your game? I have bought Crusader Kings 2 years ago, but haven't bought any DLC after they started the flood.
I'm pretty sure I made an in-depth explanation of my point, condensing it to an arbitrary number is silly on your part and show little interest in a real discussion.

Also what constitutes a "complete" game? Who defines this? You, the internet, GoD? :roll:

I buy games that interest me, some I'm willing to pay full price, some I only get when on sale, and anything in between. In the Case of EU4 you can get the game with most DLC on sale often for around 20 bucks. Yes many of us that bought the DLC that came up have potentially paid more, but without that there would not be any games to buy with all that content. Or you would have 4-5 separate games. If we count that 5 years worth of FIFA or CoD its going to be 300 bucks for the base game too no?

Games cost money to make, or pizza as we know. A movie ticket costs from 7-15 € for a 2h hour experience, why is 10 for 20h+ content not similarly worth it? As jasper said, its up to people to define what is worth for them and what not, making blanket statements is so 2016.

MFG

Ketraar

wellmadman

Post by wellmadman » Sun, 10. Jun 18, 09:21

TO be fair I love playing as boron and I will probally wait until at least the boron DLC is release, by that point I will have seen if they hit the mark or missed it like a comet missed the earth millions of years ago.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sun, 10. Jun 18, 15:56

It's true, I tend to not purchase games I am interested in when I feel that the devs are just going to keep milking me for money for all the DLCs. As a prime example, Civ 5. I was greatly interested in it at the start, but I waited for years and years until purchasing it, because I wanted to get it only after they were done making all the DLCs, and it went on sale for the base game plus all DLCs for a reasonable price. Or Stellaris, a game that looks very interesting to me, but I will not get it right now until I sense they are all done with the DLC nonsense and offer a complete package with all the relevant DLC

A couple major DLC are fine, but when I see a page full of minor DLCs for a game, it is a real turnoff. I hate feeling like I am buying some bare-bones, neutered version of a game if I am just buying the base version without the DLC, and if the base game plus DLC is too expensive, then I either write the game off entirely, or wait for it to be a bargain bin price in a Steam sale.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Sun, 10. Jun 18, 16:15

Falcrack wrote: As a prime example, Civ 5. I was greatly interested in it at the start, but I waited for years and years until purchasing it, because I wanted to get it only after they were done making all the DLCs, and it went on sale for the base game plus all DLCs for a reasonable price. Or Stellaris, a game that looks very interesting to me, but I will not get it right now until I sense they are all done with the DLC nonsense and offer a complete package with all the relevant DLC
This only works for you as long as you are a minority. If this was something everyone else would do, you would not get "all the DLC" months later or expansions, or even new iterations of that game. This only works because a good amount of people buy games at full price and at release, lets not kid ourselves here, no money == no games.

MFG

Ketraar

blotunga
xr

Post by blotunga » Mon, 11. Jun 18, 09:46

Falcrack wrote:
It's true, I tend to not purchase games I am interested in when I feel that the devs are just going to keep milking me for money for all the DLCs. As a prime example, Civ 5. I was greatly interested in it at the start, but I waited for years and years until purchasing it, because I wanted to get it only after they were done making all the DLCs, and it went on sale for the base game plus all DLCs for a reasonable price. Or Stellaris, a game that looks very interesting to me, but I will not get it right now until I sense they are all done with the DLC nonsense and offer a complete package with all the relevant DLC

A couple major DLC are fine, but when I see a page full of minor DLCs for a game, it is a real turnoff. I hate feeling like I am buying some bare-bones, neutered version of a game if I am just buying the base version without the DLC, and if the base game plus DLC is too expensive, then I either write the game off entirely, or wait for it to be a bargain bin price in a Steam sale.
Civ 5 was the game that made me wait for the next in a series before buying a game. I bough Civ 5 Gold and then a couple of weeks later Brave new World and Civ 5 Complete comes out... Never again.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Tue, 12. Jun 18, 21:22

It will come down is how good the base game is. If it gets me hook, I'll throw all the money Egosoft want at them, be it in the form of DLC/Expack whatever, within reasonable limit of course, but that limit will be generous. Before someone draw up a comparison let's me say this does not reflect my general attitude toward all games. I generally stay away from bin and penny DLC, but this is one company that produce one game that I like, I don't mind paying a bit more and call it investment. Like the fruit, kinda have to nurture the tree, especially when there isn't that many of the same tree around.

Another way to look at it is if the original delivery is so good, you just want to give the developers a bonus. We always talk about how we don't get enough for our money, but have anyone ever thought if you get more for what you paid for? I did it with Warband, I never played anything else beside the Native's module and the mods for it, but I bought all the DLCs anyway despite not touching them. Because for the amount of enjoyment I got, I feel I didn't pay the developers enough money owning just the base game. ;)

But I will definitely NOT buying DLC/expack just to 'fix' the base game though. If what happened at the X:Rebirth release repeats itself here, then I will just adapt a more pragmatic approach of waiting until everything is bundled at a reduced price.

Return to “X4: Foundations”