X4 : next release ?
View previous topic :: View next topic
Miniding

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Wed, 30. May 18, 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Falcrack wrote:
Scarecrow wrote:
At 70 yo I'm hoping it gets released in time for me to play it Wink

Hopefully you still have plenty of time to get it right, I'm not planning a Celestis trip any time soon.

If you are waiting around for Star Citizen, I would be concerned, but I think this title is more likely to be released in a reasonable time frame. Smile

Laughing Laughing Laughing Totally agree!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

nemesis1982

PostPosted: Thu, 7. Jun 18, 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

@Falcrack: At my current 35 years of age I'm already worried of not seeing SC going live Wink

nemesis1982

PostPosted: Thu, 7. Jun 18, 14:15    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

@CBJ: I would like to be very clear that I meant no offense and I do understand what you're saying.

I would like to add though that a lack of communication is not expectation management. However I do understand it's not much fun being on that end of the pitch forks.

Also much of the communication could be read as being aggressive. For instance the following implies that you're offended by the statement and could be construed as a very emotional and offensive response:
"Really? We've done everything we are able to to change that this time around. I'm sorry if there isn't a non-stop flow of information, but we have given lots of information about the game already, and we will do so again when we have something new to tell people about."

Saying something in the lines of:
"I'm sorry you feel this way. We've been working hard to change the way we communicate. It's been difficult providing a consistent stream of information however we do feel we're getting better. We feel that we've already given a lot of information and cannot give much more at the moment without impacting the experience. As soon as we feel we have new information to share we will do so."

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT

PostPosted: Thu, 7. Jun 18, 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

No offence taken. Regarding lack of communication, the point is that that isn't the case this time around. We have already communicated quite a bit, and we'll continue to communicate when we are ready to do so. Constant "updates" with no new information won't add anything to that process, but they will impact on development.

Regarding the wording of responses, I'm well aware of the difference between a a "corporate" tone and a more personal one. In informal discussions such as this one, I think the other participants appreciate that developers who choose to take part in them do of their own accord and as individuals. Occasionally that can mean that a little impatience shows through, but a gentle reminder that the developers are (mostly) human is not always a bad thing.

radcapricorn

PostPosted: Thu, 7. Jun 18, 18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

CBJ, "mostly" human? Are you guys secretly hoarding an actual Betty AI or something? Cool

ajime

PostPosted: Fri, 8. Jun 18, 04:27    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

nemesis1982 wrote:
@CBJ: I would like to be very clear that I meant no offense and I do understand what you're saying.

I would like to add though that a lack of communication is not expectation management. However I do understand it's not much fun being on that end of the pitch forks.

Also much of the communication could be read as being aggressive. For instance the following implies that you're offended by the statement and could be construed as a very emotional and offensive response:
"Really? We've done everything we are able to to change that this time around. I'm sorry if there isn't a non-stop flow of information, but we have given lots of information about the game already, and we will do so again when we have something new to tell people about."

Saying something in the lines of:
"I'm sorry you feel this way. We've been working hard to change the way we communicate. It's been difficult providing a consistent stream of information however we do feel we're getting better. We feel that we've already given a lot of information and cannot give much more at the moment without impacting the experience. As soon as we feel we have new information to share we will do so."
I am sick and tired of seeing political correctness especially in most other games and then storm brews up years later.
honesty is the best policy in my opinion and you can't BS around your customer's. I would rather see a passionate human working on what they love doing than what would be construed as 'a robot'.

Quote:
If you are waiting around for Star Citizen, I would be concerned, but I think this title is more likely to be released in a reasonable time frame.
Off topic: it's only yesterday i found out that Chris Roberts was let go from Freelancer. So I'm pretty sure ES's decision making isn't as terrible as his. Wink

Cabrelbeuk

PostPosted: Fri, 8. Jun 18, 09:34    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Since we are in casual discussion, I was wondering if you (Egosoft) have ever considered to do a fully open development system like Amplitude Studio (endless games, last one being endless space 2) ?

Idea being every design/mechanics choices is detailed and given publically and the community do vote, give ideas of improvment and for the part who have access to alphas give feedback (I guess the last part is similar to DevNet, so already have. Difference being almost everything is public).

It worked for them, and Sega accepted to edit them despite having this unusual organization..

They did got a few months of early-access on Steam with limited access to the contents but was in the last stage of development. Ideas is not crowfunding or years of Early access.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT

PostPosted: Fri, 8. Jun 18, 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

The simple answer to that is "no". There are a number of reasons why I don't think it would work for us, but in the context of this thread the most relevant one is probably the overhead that it would add to the process.

Experiumix

PostPosted: Fri, 22. Jun 18, 18:03    Post subject: I agree with CBJ Reply with quote Print

CBJ wrote:
No offence taken. Regarding lack of communication, the point is that that isn't the case this time around. We have already communicated quite a bit, and we'll continue to communicate when we are ready to do so. Constant "updates" with no new information won't add anything to that process, but they will impact on development.

Regarding the wording of responses, I'm well aware of the difference between a a "corporate" tone and a more personal one. In informal discussions such as this one, I think the other participants appreciate that developers who choose to take part in them do of their own accord and as individuals. Occasionally that can mean that a little impatience shows through, but a gentle reminder that the developers are (mostly) human is not always a bad thing.

Hear me guys, I am working in the italian branch of a big German/International software house compared to EGOSOFT (around the world we're about 1200 people) and when our product was still in development it took more that 3 years to have the first release ready with about 190 men years of total development. So let them do their job as quietly as possible and we will get a superb new game. They are a really great programmers and they want to realise the best game they are able to do ! Smile

Kittens David

PostPosted: Wed, 11. Jul 18, 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Have read sticked up thread but none really answer my simple question or are simply dating from 2017... so with all my apologize first :

Do you still aim for a release in 2018 or the sum of work to complete the game is still too much than we can more see a release in 2019 ?

thank you.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT

PostPosted: Wed, 11. Jul 18, 15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

We are still aiming for 2018.

Tamina

PostPosted: Wed, 11. Jul 18, 16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

You all are probably working really hard right now.
And day by day video card prices are falling... Very Happy

l、゙ ~ヽ   /
 じしf_, )ノ
This is Tamina. Copy Tamina to your signature to help her achieve world domination.
Kittens David

PostPosted: Wed, 11. Jul 18, 16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

CBJ wrote:
We are still aiming for 2018.

THANK YOU !!

koyuka

PostPosted: Wed, 11. Jul 18, 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Bad, but I'm glad Germany went out, need my X4 asap! Laughing Very Happy Razz

Honved

PostPosted: Wed, 11. Jul 18, 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

radcapricorn wrote:
CBJ, "mostly" human? Are you guys secretly hoarding an actual Betty AI or something? Cool

I can relate to it. As I told my one co-worker, "I may be super-human, but I'm not perfect".