X4 : next release ?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Fleabum
x4

Post by Fleabum » Fri, 25. May 18, 19:28

Thanks for the reply @CBJ.

Regards
Flea

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Fri, 25. May 18, 20:24

Ketraar wrote:
Tamina wrote:- Also CBJ and Lino are constantly spooking this forum answering questions
Exactly, and frankly this has to stop. Its hard enough as it is, there is no need to go about spooking people willy nilly. #nospooking

MFG

Ketraar

Feels like a crack addict wanting their next fix.
And for those out there, there are many more (Games) drugs out there to get your high from.
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

ajime
x4

Post by ajime » Mon, 28. May 18, 04:55

spankahontis wrote:
Ketraar wrote:
Tamina wrote:- Also CBJ and Lino are constantly spooking this forum answering questions
Exactly, and frankly this has to stop. Its hard enough as it is, there is no need to go about spooking people willy nilly. #nospooking

MFG

Ketraar

Feels like a crack addict wanting their next fix.
And for those out there, there are many more (Games) drugs out there to get your high from.
but holding a pitchfork is much more emotionally fulfilling. It's exhilarating to fulfill the power of the dark side within. :P

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Mon, 28. May 18, 10:49

Plus the satisfaction of honing a fine point to pitchfork in preparation ,,, Ahhhh the anticipation... :twisted:

Nosscar
x4

Post by Nosscar » Mon, 28. May 18, 10:54

I spent a full afternoon yesterday reading the stickies, rewatching the streams too, and realised just how much info there is compared to what was given at this stage for XR.

Keep up the good work, i am eager for this game too, but let's get it right, so take the time you need.
[ external image ]
Asus Tuf A17 Ryzen 7 - 4800h, GTX 1660ti, 16mb ram, ssd drive. win 11.

Scarecrow
x4

Post by Scarecrow » Mon, 28. May 18, 19:52

At 70 yo I'm hoping it gets released in time for me to play it :wink:

Hopefully you still have plenty of time to get it right, I'm not planning a Celestis trip any time soon.

Karvat
x4

Post by Karvat » Mon, 28. May 18, 21:46

Please take all the time you need, but give us the best space experience ever seen, I'm sure you will succeed

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Tue, 29. May 18, 15:36

Scarecrow wrote:At 70 yo I'm hoping it gets released in time for me to play it :wink:

Hopefully you still have plenty of time to get it right, I'm not planning a Celestis trip any time soon.
If you are waiting around for Star Citizen, I would be concerned, but I think this title is more likely to be released in a reasonable time frame. :)

LittleBird

Post by LittleBird » Tue, 29. May 18, 15:55

CBJ wrote:
nemesis1982 wrote:Expectation management is very important...
Yes, it is. And that's exactly why we haven't given a more precise date, or plastered it all over the place too much. We are all too familiar with what happens when we give anything more precise. Regardless of how many caveats we give about it being an estimate or aim, it's still "pitchforks at dawn" the moment that estimate turns out not to be 100% accurate!
Just do it the right way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9SVhg6ZENw :wink:
Ich bin für die Einführung von Ironie- und Sarkasmustags.
Alle Klarheiten beseitigt!

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Wed, 30. May 18, 17:32

The biggest problem with pre-release information is that it takes time and effort to present, which could otherwise have been spent on developing the game. When you're big enough to be able to afford job titles like a full-time spokesperson, even if they're covering several games by that developer, it's a nice luxury, but when it's more of a hand-to-mouth company, you simply can't afford the extra paycheck.

I work in a small electronics company, where there are only 3 of us designing, building, and shipping specialized industrial and medical video products. We don't have the resources to dedicate someone full time to "trivial" details like sales, accounting, or inventory control, much less "expectation management". Egosoft may be larger, but they're still limited as to how much can be done, so interfacing with the players is pretty far back on the list of "things to do".

Miniding
x4

Post by Miniding » Wed, 30. May 18, 18:22

Falcrack wrote:
Scarecrow wrote:At 70 yo I'm hoping it gets released in time for me to play it :wink:

If you are waiting around for Star Citizen, I would be concerned, but I think this title is more likely to be released in a reasonable time frame. :)
:lol: :lol: :lol: Totally agree!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Miniding
X3 Reunion - X3 Terran Conflict - X3 Albion Prelude - X Rebirth - X4 CE...

nemesis1982
x4

Post by nemesis1982 » Thu, 7. Jun 18, 13:34

@Falcrack: At my current 35 years of age I'm already worried of not seeing SC going live ;)
Save game editor XR and CAT/DAT Extractor
Keep in mind that it's still a work in progress although it's taking shape nicely.

If anyone is interested in a new save game editor for X4 and would like to contribute to the creation of one let me know. I do not have sufficient time to create it alone, but if there are enough people who want it and want to contribute we might be able to set something up.

nemesis1982
x4

Post by nemesis1982 » Thu, 7. Jun 18, 14:15

@CBJ: I would like to be very clear that I meant no offense and I do understand what you're saying.

I would like to add though that a lack of communication is not expectation management. However I do understand it's not much fun being on that end of the pitch forks.

Also much of the communication could be read as being aggressive. For instance the following implies that you're offended by the statement and could be construed as a very emotional and offensive response:
"Really? We've done everything we are able to to change that this time around. I'm sorry if there isn't a non-stop flow of information, but we have given lots of information about the game already, and we will do so again when we have something new to tell people about."

Saying something in the lines of:
"I'm sorry you feel this way. We've been working hard to change the way we communicate. It's been difficult providing a consistent stream of information however we do feel we're getting better. We feel that we've already given a lot of information and cannot give much more at the moment without impacting the experience. As soon as we feel we have new information to share we will do so."
Save game editor XR and CAT/DAT Extractor
Keep in mind that it's still a work in progress although it's taking shape nicely.

If anyone is interested in a new save game editor for X4 and would like to contribute to the creation of one let me know. I do not have sufficient time to create it alone, but if there are enough people who want it and want to contribute we might be able to set something up.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 7. Jun 18, 17:48

No offence taken. Regarding lack of communication, the point is that that isn't the case this time around. We have already communicated quite a bit, and we'll continue to communicate when we are ready to do so. Constant "updates" with no new information won't add anything to that process, but they will impact on development.

Regarding the wording of responses, I'm well aware of the difference between a a "corporate" tone and a more personal one. In informal discussions such as this one, I think the other participants appreciate that developers who choose to take part in them do of their own accord and as individuals. Occasionally that can mean that a little impatience shows through, but a gentle reminder that the developers are (mostly) human is not always a bad thing.

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Thu, 7. Jun 18, 18:08

CBJ, "mostly" human? Are you guys secretly hoarding an actual Betty AI or something? 8)

ajime
x4

Post by ajime » Fri, 8. Jun 18, 04:27

nemesis1982 wrote:@CBJ: I would like to be very clear that I meant no offense and I do understand what you're saying.

I would like to add though that a lack of communication is not expectation management. However I do understand it's not much fun being on that end of the pitch forks.

Also much of the communication could be read as being aggressive. For instance the following implies that you're offended by the statement and could be construed as a very emotional and offensive response:
"Really? We've done everything we are able to to change that this time around. I'm sorry if there isn't a non-stop flow of information, but we have given lots of information about the game already, and we will do so again when we have something new to tell people about."

Saying something in the lines of:
"I'm sorry you feel this way. We've been working hard to change the way we communicate. It's been difficult providing a consistent stream of information however we do feel we're getting better. We feel that we've already given a lot of information and cannot give much more at the moment without impacting the experience. As soon as we feel we have new information to share we will do so."
I am sick and tired of seeing political correctness especially in most other games and then storm brews up years later.
honesty is the best policy in my opinion and you can't BS around your customer's. I would rather see a passionate human working on what they love doing than what would be construed as 'a robot'.
If you are waiting around for Star Citizen, I would be concerned, but I think this title is more likely to be released in a reasonable time frame.
Off topic: it's only yesterday i found out that Chris Roberts was let go from Freelancer. So I'm pretty sure ES's decision making isn't as terrible as his. :wink:

Cabrelbeuk
x4

Post by Cabrelbeuk » Fri, 8. Jun 18, 09:34

Since we are in casual discussion, I was wondering if you (Egosoft) have ever considered to do a fully open development system like Amplitude Studio (endless games, last one being endless space 2) ?

Idea being every design/mechanics choices is detailed and given publically and the community do vote, give ideas of improvment and for the part who have access to alphas give feedback (I guess the last part is similar to DevNet, so already have. Difference being almost everything is public).

It worked for them, and Sega accepted to edit them despite having this unusual organization..

They did got a few months of early-access on Steam with limited access to the contents but was in the last stage of development. Ideas is not crowfunding or years of Early access.
AMD R7 2700X 3.7GHz - GTX 1070 Ti 8Go Asus cerberus - 16Go RAM 3200MHz - Asus Prime X470-Pro - LG 32" 4K 60Hz - SSD Samsung Evo850 512 GB - HDD Toshiba 2 To 7200 Tr/min - Onkyo HTS-7800 Dolby Atmos 5.1.2

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 8. Jun 18, 13:58

The simple answer to that is "no". There are a number of reasons why I don't think it would work for us, but in the context of this thread the most relevant one is probably the overhead that it would add to the process.

Experiumix
x4

I agree with CBJ

Post by Experiumix » Fri, 22. Jun 18, 18:03

CBJ wrote:No offence taken. Regarding lack of communication, the point is that that isn't the case this time around. We have already communicated quite a bit, and we'll continue to communicate when we are ready to do so. Constant "updates" with no new information won't add anything to that process, but they will impact on development.

Regarding the wording of responses, I'm well aware of the difference between a a "corporate" tone and a more personal one. In informal discussions such as this one, I think the other participants appreciate that developers who choose to take part in them do of their own accord and as individuals. Occasionally that can mean that a little impatience shows through, but a gentle reminder that the developers are (mostly) human is not always a bad thing.
Hear me guys, I am working in the italian branch of a big German/International software house compared to EGOSOFT (around the world we're about 1200 people) and when our product was still in development it took more that 3 years to have the first release ready with about 190 men years of total development. So let them do their job as quietly as possible and we will get a superb new game. They are a really great programmers and they want to realise the best game they are able to do ! :)

Kittens David

Post by Kittens David » Wed, 11. Jul 18, 15:37

Have read sticked up thread but none really answer my simple question or are simply dating from 2017... so with all my apologize first :

Do you still aim for a release in 2018 or the sum of work to complete the game is still too much than we can more see a release in 2019 ?

thank you.

Return to “X4: Foundations”