Jumpdrives got me into X3, highways just dropped me off XR, and we're legion

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

LittleBird

Post by LittleBird » Mon, 21. May 18, 17:53

Graaf wrote:
Honved wrote:Unfortunately, it's not quite that simple.

Effective mission design either has to assume that you have a jump drive, or that you don't. Either it's designed for it, and not having one makes the mission impossible, or else it's designed without one in mind, and having one makes the task trivial.
Actually it is. Just like X2 & X3 where you cannot complete a mission when they asked for a certain ship-class, which you are currently not flying. Or you "fail" the mission when you do use the Jumpdrive, and you're payout is severely limited (X2's Tour of a Lifetime).
It is not.
Mission requirements work one way only.
Easy doing if the mission requires a jump drive. Then you can balance it accordingly.
But it makes no sense if a mission forbids the use of a jump drive. X2's Tour of a Lifetime is an exception.
Transport wares and persons, hunt the pirate, defend a station... but you will be sorry if you use a jump drive? That does not work.
Ich bin für die Einführung von Ironie- und Sarkasmustags.
Alle Klarheiten beseitigt!

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Tue, 22. May 18, 23:03

LittleBird wrote:
Graaf wrote:

Effective mission design either has to assume that you have a jump drive, or that you don't. Either it's designed for it, and not having one makes the mission impossible, or else it's designed without one in mind, and having one makes the task trivial.
Actually it is. Just like X2 & X3 where you cannot complete a mission when they asked for a certain ship-class, which you are currently not flying. Or you "fail" the mission when you do use the Jumpdrive, and you're payout is severely limited (X2's Tour of a Lifetime).
It is not.
Easy doing if the mission requires a jump drive. Then you can balance it accordingly.
But it makes no sense if a mission forbids the use of a jump drive. X2's Tour of a Lifetime is an exception.
Transport wares and persons, hunt the pirate, defend a station... but you will be sorry if you use a jump drive? That does not work.
I thought the new engine was capable of more then the old one?

We can have complicated missions on the old one but not the new?
We can have Litcube's Bounce on the old one, but we can only turn off collision on the new one?

It's starting to look like the only improvement of the new engine is the ability to own more than 2 billion in your bank account.

Very disappointing.

The Q
Pancake Award Winner 2017

Post by The Q » Wed, 23. May 18, 12:42

Graaf wrote:
LittleBird wrote:
Graaf wrote:

It is not.
I thought the new engine was capable of more then the old one?

We can have complicated missions on the old one but not the new?
We can have Litcube's Bounce on the old one, but we can only turn off collision on the new one?

It's starting to look like the only improvement of the new engine is the ability to own more than 2 billion in your bank account.

Very disappointing.
No one said anything about engine limitations or capabilites. The discussion was about mission design and the whole topic is about gameplay design.

Bounce has nothing to do with either of those, and you can turn off collisions in both engines. (This is exactly what Bounce does btw, turning of collisions.) Having more than 2 billion in your bank account is already possible in X3, too.

It’s like you constantly make up stuff to be mad about, throwing in key words that have nothing to do with the discussion whatsoever.
Morkonan, Emperor of the Unaffiliated Territories of the Principality of OFF-TOPIC, wrote:I have come to answer your questions! The answers are "Yes" and "Probably" as well as "No" and "Maybe", but I'm not sure in which order they should be given.
xkcd: Duty calls

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Wed, 23. May 18, 22:10

The Q wrote:No one said anything about engine limitations or capabilites. The discussion was about mission design and the whole topic is about gameplay design.
The topic is the Jumpdrive, or lack thereof.
Mission design was only brought up half way down the previous page, for no apparent reason then to state that missions can't be properly designed when the jumpdrive exist. Which is bullocks.
And I only brought up engine limitation because either de engine is limited or, like you people make it sound, the Devs don't know how to code, because every proposal/option/idea is countered with impossibility. And I doubt you cannot convert the old missions and stuff into the new engine.

As for gameplay design: From what I have seen thus far, this is nothing more then Rebirth 2 with some expected improvements. Version 5.0 if you will.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Wed, 23. May 18, 23:20

What new engine do you speak of?

It uses rebirths engine the only new thing along with updates to rebirths core engine is the api which is the renderer which changed from directx to vulkan, which doesnt affect the code from rebirths jumpdrive to x4s jumpdrive code which either is still there just unused presumably.

I dont think egosofts new engine which im presuming is in progress wont be finished till their next game or the game after that.

Could be wrong of course.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Thu, 24. May 18, 01:29

The engine is not limited in this regard anyway. XR's MD (which missions are written in) has events to detect when a ship has completed a jump, and commands that tell you whether or not a given ship has a jumpdrive, whether that jumpdrive is charging, etc.

The point is, as LittleBird said, failing the mission just because you used a jumpdrive would be really dumb - barring edge cases like sightseeing missions.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Thu, 24. May 18, 02:05

Graaf wrote: We can have complicated missions on the old one but not the new?
Litcube wrote a great mod, but I am no fan of Bounce, where ships magically change direction 90 degrees when they get too close to other ships. It does not look that great to see Bounce in action.

sd_jasper
x4

Post by sd_jasper » Thu, 24. May 18, 15:51

This discussion is going round and round and not getting anywhere. And I really think most of the complaining is pointless. The game isn't going to have jumpdrive, it will have teleportation. Someone might mod jumpdrive back in, but anyone using it will be destroying the whole strategic design of the game (not just missions, but the whole gameplay design).

As I've said, I'm super excited about the the strategic design of no jumpdrive and teleportation. I think it is going to be really fun, and require a lot more forethought and risk/reward analysis.

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Thu, 24. May 18, 18:50

sd_jasper wrote:...the whole strategic design of the game...
There is no strategic design. That is just wishful thinking due to the removal of the jumpdrive.

sd_jasper
x4

Post by sd_jasper » Thu, 24. May 18, 19:08

Graaf wrote:
sd_jasper wrote:...the whole strategic design of the game...
There is no strategic design. That is just wishful thinking due to the removal of the jumpdrive.
:roll:

If you can't see the obvious strategy of needing to spread your fleet out, or limit the area they can cover vs. having them be able to instantly be anywhere in the galaxy, then there is nothing I can tell you.

Clearly you have already made up your mind to not like this game, and nothing is going to convince you otherwise. Sorry, but there will be no jump drive. If that is a deal breaker... well deal broke. Why not go find a game you actually like and spend your time and energy discussing that, instead of trying to poo-poo on this one?

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Thu, 24. May 18, 20:58

sd_jasper wrote:Why not go find a game you actually like and spend your time and energy discussing that, instead of trying to poo-poo on this one?
Well, I like X3. And I would like to see a real successor, which would be named X4, but all thats being discussed is more of this Rebirth nonsense.

Fleabum
x4

Post by Fleabum » Thu, 24. May 18, 22:53

Graaf wrote:Well, I like X3. And I would like to see a real successor, which would be named X4, but all thats being discussed is more of this Rebirth nonsense.
Hate to agree, but it feels more like Rebirth2 than X4. Time will tell.
sd_jasper wrote:Why not go find a game you actually like and spend your time and energy discussing that, instead of trying to poo-poo on this one?
That's the problem right there, this thread was started by someone who liked X3, and didn't like Rebirth. This new game is meant to be X4, not Rebirth2. So we are right to be concerned when it appears its more like Rebirth than X3 and voice these concerns.

Some people don't look at life with rose tinted goggles and accept the status quo. Feel free to bury your head in the sand to possible issues and if you don't want to discuss them, fine, but let other concerned customers discuss it if they wish.

Regards
Flea

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Fri, 25. May 18, 00:18

sd_jasper wrote:This discussion is going round and round and not getting anywhere. And I really think most of the complaining is pointless. The game isn't going to have jumpdrive, it will have teleportation. Someone might mod jumpdrive back in, but anyone using it will be destroying the whole strategic design of the game (not just missions, but the whole gameplay design).

As I've said, I'm super excited about the the strategic design of no jumpdrive and teleportation. I think it is going to be really fun, and require a lot more forethought and risk/reward analysis.

If anything, making Jumpdrive technology a late game Technology you have to research like teleportation as well as technology to counter jumpdrives, an FTL inhibitor to stop foes from entering or escaping a strategic point could be something that could be talked about for an expansion pack to X4.

But yeah, let's see how X4: Foundations pans out before we start pulling out the daggers or the Wishlists that aren't coming in X4.
We are going round in circles here.

Personally i'm psyched about this, I want to see how it plays out.
Real Distance, real sense of Scale in the universe, not just a change of wallpaper with a tank of energy cells. Doesn't matter how many Sectors an X3 Expansion adds, it's stale and boring.
Fleabum wrote:
Graaf wrote:Well, I like X3. And I would like to see a real successor, which would be named X4, but all thats being discussed is more of this Rebirth nonsense.
Hate to agree, but it feels more like Rebirth2 than X4. Time will tell.
That's the problem right there, this thread was started by someone who liked X3, and didn't like Rebirth. This new game is meant to be X4, not Rebirth2. So we are right to be concerned when it appears its more like Rebirth than X3 and voice these concerns.

Some people don't look at life with rose tinted goggles and accept the status quo. Feel free to bury your head in the sand to possible issues and if you don't want to discuss them, fine, but let other concerned customers discuss it if they wish.

Regards
Flea

Many of us like the direction Egosoft is going, that doesn't make us Status Quo, sadly some people can't handle change.
If X4 was just going to be more of X3 with more Sectors, Ships Etc. I wont buy it, i'd stick with X3 (same thing with new graphics).

The problem is there are hard-liners in this forum who will never allow the X Franchise to spread it's wings and reinvent itself.

That's not Status Quo, Status Quo is sticking with the same which X3 Fanboys sadly want this game to remain and it will stagnate the franchise.
Creative Assembly taught me what happens when you cut content and slowly reintroduce it and expect us to be grateful.
If they simply added new content on top of what they already had and improved on the weaknesses all their games had I'd personally of kept buying their content instead of losing interest in their latest products since Shogun 2.
I don't want Egosoft to follow their model, I welcome their bold approach.
Who knows?.. Maybe Egosoft will add them back in like they did with the Experimental Jumpdrive in Rebirth?
Maybe they will find a way to reintroduce them if they can prove that readding them doesn't break the new mechanics and give Players/Ai a cheat that stifles Gameplay?

Experimenting with no Jumpdrives and having tactical choke-points?
The Pros are more appealing than the Cons that are being pointed out IMHO.
The way X3 dealt with Scale is not acceptable, the Universe is supposed to be epic in Scale, Jumpdrives rob you of that; they always have, just fill up your energy cells and jump where you like on the map; this has to end, new ideas are needed and I lay in hope that taking out Jumpdrives solves this long standing bug bear i've had with X Games?
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Fri, 25. May 18, 07:19

spankahontis wrote:Creative Assembly taught me what happens when you cut content and slowly reintroduce it and expect us to be grateful. ..... I don't want Egosoft to follow their model, I welcome their bold approach.
But isn't this exactly what Egosoft is doing now too? You're about to buy a new game for the ability to pilot more ships and have the Paranids return. And in the future we get the Boron DLC.
Honestly, I don't see the difference.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Fri, 25. May 18, 12:56

Graaf the ghost of X-games past.

Do you turn up on other game forums and tell people how rubbish a game is even though you don't own a copy. Just like you did for Rebirth?

Graaf the ghost of X-games future.

The year is 2025......

..... I'm not going to buy X6 its just more of that X5 rubbish. Its just X5 version 2 by another name.
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Fri, 25. May 18, 13:26

X6 in 2025?.. No way. That's the year when first mentions of possible X5 would only start appearing.

Fleabum
x4

Post by Fleabum » Fri, 25. May 18, 13:26

spankahontis wrote:Creative Assembly taught me what happens when you cut content and slowly reintroduce it and expect us to be grateful.
This is exactly what they have done. Seems you're forgetting X4 is the next iteration after X3, not the next iteration of Rebirth. So when you compare X3 to X4, they have removed a lot of fundamental game features of X3 and added features tested in Rebirth, and expect us to be grateful.

I can see the point of view of people who liked Rebirth, they want Rebirth2, Rebirth was too limiting, not enough ships, not enough weapons. They now want Rebirth with new ships, weapons, stations, better economy and many of the (selected) features from X3 (they liked). Well it looks like thats what X4 will be, so they should be happy.
spankahontis wrote:That's not Status Quo, Status Quo is sticking with the same which X3 Fanboys sadly want this game to remain and it will stagnate the franchise.
Accepting the Status Quo is also what people do when they don't speak out when they don't like something, and that's exactly what this thread is all about. The fact is that you are accepting the Status Quo by not letting players exercise their right to show they are unhappy with certain major game changes that were in X3 but removed from X4.

And you calling people X3 fanboys is a bit of a disservice. They are the avid and loyal customers that are still playing a game long after its expiry date. Not many games have so many hours spent on them after so long, Egosoft should be proud what X3 has accomplished. Will as many people still be playing Rebirth after 13 years of release? No, because at this moment in time, more people still play X3 than Rebirth.

Totally agree with you on franchise though, a franchise should be protected and nurtured and that's why Rebirth was a good way to go, a totally separate game in the same universe, this is what a franchise does.

Regards
Flea

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Fri, 25. May 18, 13:34

X3 didn't "accomplish". It refined and perfected. Heck, the simple fact that there were 3 of X3 tells a story. Egosoft are like overly critical artists, repainting the canvas until desired result is achieved. Who knows, perhaps there will be 7 X4?

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Fri, 25. May 18, 18:30

ZaphodBeeblebrox wrote:Graaf the ghost of X-games past.

Do you turn up on other game forums and tell people how rubbish a game is even though you don't own a copy. Just like you did for Rebirth?
I did for the only other game I was interested in in 2013. You may have heard of it. It was called Sim City.

2013 was a sad year for games.

RIP Maxis.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Fri, 25. May 18, 19:58

Graaf wrote:
spankahontis wrote:Creative Assembly taught me what happens when you cut content and slowly reintroduce it and expect us to be grateful. ..... I don't want Egosoft to follow their model, I welcome their bold approach.
But isn't this exactly what Egosoft is doing now too? You're about to buy a new game for the ability to pilot more ships and have the Paranids return. And in the future we get the Boron DLC.
Honestly, I don't see the difference.
The difference from Creative Assembly is they were caught repackaging Content that was already in the Game on release date, they sold it back as DLC to make Pre-Order Sales, they still did this with Warhammer with the Chaos Faction Dlc, selling new unique Faction playthroughs as dlc.

And Shogun 2 (Which they were honest about that time) That they were cutting sizeable content from the game to try and streamline it, it worked for Feudal Japan, I enjoyed it then came the DLC Gravy Train which was a taste of things to come with Rome 2.
Previous CA Games were full of features and Rome 2 was stripped bare of features that made it great; the new features they did add, naming Armies, New intelligent Ai (Boy did that go down in flames) They took features out and what they put in was a crap horrible substitute for what TW Fans lost.
Where as Proper Traits and Ancillaries (Like in Rome 1 and Med II: Kingdoms), Building Tech Trees, Unique Units, Unique Factions, Animated Assassination Events etc. were taken out and it caused outrage.
I'm keeping my Eye on Thrones of Britannia, but I fear it's just the same old clone with a ridiculous amount of DLC, plus the unit cards and animations look ugly.

Funny you should mention Maxis and Sim City, I too loved that franchise and I share your loss for such a legendary title.
But that's what happens when you sell your soul to Electronic Arts, they eviscerate a games company, relocate their staff and sell off Assets, they're the Bain Capital Ltd. of Games companies and SEGA are probably going to do the same with CA when something similar comes along and they start issuing stricter targets and forcing market research down their throats to "add this and that feature cause Market Research says this is popular with fans" Just not CA Fans.
Luckily Deep Silver/Koch Media don't seem to crack the whip.

Egosoft aren't dumbing down or boneing their Game to a Husk, for what they've cut out, they've added new features to compensate, not 100% effective but you can see that Egosoft care where as CA simply don't listen to Feedback or we would have that Creative Assembly title we were promised back since Shogun 2.
The difference is in terms of what's being reintroduced to X Games and what's being added as new content.. There is full NPC Models now (Which X3 doesn't have), it's going to take a while to make enough to not be bogged with clones, sadly Rebirth failed in this regard, I wont lie; but I can see clear as day what they're doing and it's not reselling as it was never part of previous X Games in the first place.
To add further there is Ships with hundreds of Attachable Objects and all the coding, pathfinding needed to make them work (Which X3 doesn't have) That takes time to implement, again not an old feature being reintroduced.

Then there is the Stations with Hundreds of attachable Objects that you can walk inside of (Which X3 doesn't have) This is time consuming so can understand why we don't see Split, Boron, Paranid Style Modules, the number of Human/Terran Modules in Rebirth ALONE is staggering; when they reintroduce these and can walk around (Or maybe even swin inside) a Boron Facility and walk around a Paranid Facility then we will see how full of content X4 is to Rebirth and far beyond X3 and what it's Engine could accomplish.

Anyway you want to see it, Egosoft are making a ton of new models that will greatly outnumber what's seen in X3 and X4 will be no different.
Sure we can debate that features from X3 were taken out, sure there was, most we're reintroduced , those that didn't, probably not enough time? Or perhaps they didn't go well with the new Engine and were intentionally left out.

Many see a feature that isn't part of X Games anymore and the first reaction is "The Games dumbing down" This was made apparent when people were comparing Oblivion to Skyrim, Oblivion to Morrowind etc.
See the greater picture, the greater Context.

X4 is reinventing itself while keeping a sizeable number of features from previous X Games in. Losing Jumpdrives (For now?) doesn't bother me.
I'm interested to see how tactical chokepoints are going to work in X4, i'll make my views known if I don't like them or not after a few hundred hours of gameplay.
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

Return to “X4: Foundations”