Release date? Will sectors still be 200km x 200km or whatever?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Kraven Kor
x3ap

Release date? Will sectors still be 200km x 200km or whatever?

Post by Kraven Kor » Wed, 23. May 18, 21:11

That was my least favorite thing about the X-series games; the gates being some 200km or so apart thus making space generally 'feel small' (at least until you got to searching down hidden items / ships)

Any info on how big the sectors will be?

Any release date yet?
"The will to be stupid is a very powerful force." - Miles Vorkosigan

Karvat
x4

Post by Karvat » Wed, 23. May 18, 22:19

Can't we have infinite sectors? I want to play this game endlessly

Greenhorn
x3ap

Post by Greenhorn » Thu, 24. May 18, 00:25

Hmmm,The only thing that bothered me in x3 terran conflict albine prelude was the secters of ((terran space)) and ((albine secters )).as there is no ship type, fast or medium paste travelling except, the springblossom, and even that was slow travelling to a purpose in those secters..it got boring, and not worth to be in those sectores.Funny I go to all other secters in the entire game,its just my mind told me instinctly dont go to there and even the gate legnths even if theres a purpose.,.as for everything else, I like a lot of secters.i wonder if x4 you can see far ,in space ship window view, like station stuff ,then before your radar sectore scanner.range.oh well hopefully in august at gamecon /twitter will show.bye all.
Running latest Steam X3: Albion Prelude .v 3.1 + bonus pack.favorite single music :Coldplay - Something just like this.Muse - Supermassive blackhole.Audiomachine - Sol Invictus,Cinematic.And finally, Florent Zunino - Foundation - Titles.

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Thu, 24. May 18, 01:26

Karvat wrote:Can't we have infinite sectors? I want to play this game endlessly
X5: Desert Bus

StoneLegionYT
x4

Post by StoneLegionYT » Thu, 24. May 18, 03:08

adeine wrote:
Karvat wrote:Can't we have infinite sectors? I want to play this game endlessly
X5: Desert Bus
This part always annoyed me. Why not have like procedural generated content but no actual faction expansion or at least to a point. Maybe small random outpost sectors far and deep into space. It would add something a bit more interesting to the game. Maybe like even random 4-5 sectors with their own fully working economy to keep the lights on and food going.

Either way it can be done and it could be fun it just should not be the main focus / part the game it should be more the expended outside scope for people enjoy the endless exploration.

PS This game I think someone said tech wise they can't do procedural generation or it would not work out. BTW the game is actually procedural generated to a degree with station layouts, etc... So whoever says it can't be Dev or other wise is wrong because no one is saying 100% only procedural but rather procedural type content added.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Thu, 24. May 18, 07:40

No, the sectors size-wise will not be anything like X3.

The developers are in a lot of cases going for larger sectors.

They have introduced a new travel mode to help players get around.
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 24. May 18, 13:40

@ Kane Hart: From the FAQ Sticky (Dev answers):

Q. Can we fly from one sector to another one without using a gate since it's all seamless? Maybe not everywhere since some sectors may be several light years apart but others can be around the same planet?
A. No, that's not possible. There are no borders between zones within a sector. But it definitely is not possible to fly from a cluster to another cluster (from a system to another system; that's like the solar systems). The coordinate ranges of those are completely out of the league. With sectors I think it is practically impossible. It would take a long time, but it's not theoretically impossible. Anyway, I think the relevant part of the gameplay relevant section of that is that you can fly beyond the gates as far as you like, and the map adapts to that. So that it zooms out further and further. What you see as one system on your map can change and the sizes of systems and also the sizes of sectors can be dramatically different from sector to sector or from system to system. So just because it appears equal in size, when you zoom out and see multiple systems, it doesn't mean they are equal in size.

Q. Will the universe be a set universe like other X games or is it procedural / randomized?
A. The map itself is not random or procedural but some of the content within it may be.

Q. Will genetic missions be only activated from stations like in older titles or will there be some random missions ? like randomly finding and saving crew from burning ship or helping them fix it (for a price)...
A. Missions can appear elsewhere, but whether they will or not remains to be seen.

Q. Is there any logic behind the layout of the NPC-designed stations or is it completely random?
A. There is an underlying logic, but it is fairly flexible.

Q. Will there be random anomaly in space, like maybe wormholes or black holes?
A. Maybe. Wink
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Karvat
x4

Post by Karvat » Thu, 24. May 18, 16:17

Played X3TC for over a thousand hours, then I stopped when I memorized every single corner of the universe

spankahontis
x4

Re: Release date? Will sectors still be 200km x 200km or whatever?

Post by spankahontis » Fri, 25. May 18, 01:27

Kraven Kor wrote:That was my least favorite thing about the X-series games; the gates being some 200km or so apart thus making space generally 'feel small' (at least until you got to searching down hidden items / ships)

Any info on how big the sectors will be?

Any release date yet?
And you couldn't even explore that System/Sector.
Wallpaper, that's all it was to me. Just pretty looking Wallpaper, around 350+ Sheets of it.
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

Return to “X4: Foundations”