Trump

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Thu, 17. May 18, 23:24

BugMeister wrote:the 25th could be invoked..
there's one heck of a lot of evidence for Drumpf's idiocy..
Depends who you talk to. Lot's of people voted for Trump and many/most of them are quite happy with Trump's performance. Whether Trump is mentally unstable, is not so clear from a clinical view.

There are something like 80% of white evangelical Christians who remain in favor of Trump. How is it, that such people who are so prone to shouting superior morality, love a guy like Trump? Idiocy? Perhaps evangelical Christians should not be able to vote, because they are bound to elect unfit leaders? What's next. People who wear their hats backwards are obviously suspect. They shouldn't be able to vote either.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Thu, 17. May 18, 23:51

- can we say that Farage, Drumpf et al are tarred with the same brush
- Cambridge Analytica's involvement with voter manipulation threw up the racist paradigm..
- and thus a campaign was formed..

- the Replicant's stand silent..
- the Russian's use of internet propaganda continues..
- it is (and was..) a threat to the EU as well as the US..

- oligarchy is the real enemy..
- democracy is under attack every day..
Last edited by BugMeister on Thu, 17. May 18, 23:54, edited 1 time in total.
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Thu, 17. May 18, 23:54

BugMeister wrote:democracy is under attack every day..
Doesn't something have to exist, before it can be attacked?

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Thu, 17. May 18, 23:55

- life is a work in progress.. :lol:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 18. May 18, 02:43

Reading through this thread and see what people are posting ... I have been convinced many times the biggest reason why people can't sit down and talk and see the other side is because of: cynicism

Cynicism, cynicism, cynicism everywhere, it's almost like a cool thing to do that will somehow elate one's opinion to greater height and would magically inject the often absented critical thought. I think these days most of us (those who call ourselves adults) behave like kids, I remember kids love to use the words such as cynical, or senile on themselves because they think it makes them mature while the actual adults normally would not like to be associated with such words.

It would be great if we human can be more simple, honest to ourselves, and less prone to being hyperbolic and dramatic. :wink:

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Fri, 18. May 18, 11:41

nothing wrong with a bit of healthy cynicism now and then..
as long as you see it for what it is, eh? :lol:

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Fri, 18. May 18, 12:09

The news this morning was full of a potential Chinese capitulation on trade, giving way to the tune of $200 billion.
Bloody hell, methinks, maybe I had Trump all wrong? Have his ridiculous bully tactics yielded a spectacular result!? Maybe there something in this after all!?

Nope. . . . just more lies* from the Trump team. China say they have offered no such thing.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/18/china-d ... istry.html

Edit: *Ok some sources say the reports of the Chinese agreement came from within the Trump Administration, whilst others just say "rumours", so perhaps "lies" was over harsh.

@Mightysword
On this topic I think cynicism is entirely valid, in fact it is perhaps the only sensible approach. Throughout his entire life Mr Trump has barely done a single damn thing that wasn't plainly and openly motivated by his desire for personal aggrandisement and enrichment. There is no reason whatsoever to assume his ascending to the office of President would change this lifelong pattern of behaviour.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Fri, 18. May 18, 14:20

do you think Drumpf has visions of the Pyongyang Tower..
- ha, ha!! :lol:

PS:
- Zephyr Teachout..!!
- wow..!! :roll:

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 18. May 18, 17:48

Mightysword wrote:...It would be great if we human can be more simple, honest to ourselves, and less prone to being hyperbolic and dramatic. :wink:
I agree.

However, in the far distant past, one of my ancestors watched his optimistic friend get eaten by a lion.

Cynicism was born. :)

So, now, when we see lions, we get a bit cynical about our survival chances. And, now, when we see ethically bankrupt people "in charge" we get a bit cynical about their intentions and reliability.

In considering most things with a long view towards ultimate results, I tend to be optimistic. In the short term, however, I'm usually a bit of a cynic. Most of the errors, corrective actions, delays and problems appear pretty quickly. And, if that doesn't just completely destroy whatever goal or result one is considering, as long as one keeps plugging away at it, it's likely achievable. Or, so I like to think...

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sat, 19. May 18, 02:27

BugMeister wrote:nothing wrong with a bit of healthy cynicism now and then..
Morkonan wrote: So, now, when we see lions, we get a bit cynical ...
:rofl: a bit :rofl:

Oi, this thread (and pretty much everywhere else) is literally overflowing with cynicism, and you know it. :headbang:

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Sat, 19. May 18, 02:55

Is there lots of cynicism? I'm sure there is some, but it's not cynical to:

* Call a person out on flagrant untruth.

* Point out a person's lack of consistency in public statements.

* Describe the many and varied ways a person's actions have caused damage to the office they hold and the country they have sworn to 'make great again'.

* Assume that someone who has a pattern of dishonest behaviour will continue to behave in that way.
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sat, 19. May 18, 03:51

Usenko wrote:Is there lots of cynicism? I'm sure there is some, but it's not cynical to:
As it turns out I may not be using the right word, I went and look up its definition and its original meaning doesn't seem to be broad enough to encompass my usage, or maybe I'm using it right because the modern usage of the world is applicable. The original meaning seems to limit itself to just personal gain or greed, my intention is meant to be broader than that, and it means just to assume the worst in each others or of ... anything really. And no, even within this thread, it's not really always about Trump.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 19. May 18, 04:32

Mightysword wrote:
Usenko wrote:Is there lots of cynicism? I'm sure there is some, but it's not cynical to:
As it turns out I may not be using the right word, I went and look up its definition and its original meaning doesn't seem to be broad enough to encompass my usage, or maybe I'm using it right because the modern usage of the world is applicable. The original meaning seems to limit itself to just personal gain or greed, my intention is meant to be broader than that, and it means just to assume the worst in each others or of ... anything really. And no, even within this thread, it's not really always about Trump.
I think your use was appropriate. After all, it was fully understood by others, right? "Definitions" aren't about what is written in a dictionary, they're about what the common culture understands words to mean.

Yes, perhaps we have a dim view of our future. Or, perhaps, we are a bit cynical when it comes down to the possibility for something positive to happen. But, we have a just cause to be so cynical - We don't see an optimistic path forward, given what our desires may be.

For me, I want an ethical, moral, leader that I can trust and that will tell me the truth. I see none of that in Trump and I'm a fiscal conservative who should be rallying to his side after the reduction in corporate tax rates!

But, I can't. The man is "bad." He says bad things. He does bad things. He seems to support bad things. The sorts of things he speaks out in favor of are exactly the sorts of things that I generally consider "bad." And, he simply doesn't talk about specifics very often and, when he does, he lies...

So, yeah, I'm a cynic when it comes down to the possibility that "good things will happen." I think the damage that Trump will do will take decades to repair, if ever. And... our Congress doesn't seem to give a damn and too many voters don't pay any real attention to anything, preferring to have their thoughts crammed into their own heads by someone else... :/

But, if I find something optimistic, I will promise to post on it, point it out, and give credit where credit is due!

I don't expect making a bunch of posts on that subject, though... :)

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 19. May 18, 05:30

I'm with Ambrose Bierce on this one: "A cynic is a blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be". :wink:

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Sat, 19. May 18, 09:22

"Here come ole flat-top, he come groovin' up slowly.."

- language can be challenging, Tom Wolf was a shining star when it came to defining the "feeling" engendered by words - a master..
- it's always provoked discussion, and will continue to do so
Marshall McLuhan used to take issue with it's "misuse"..
- and it's interesting that Wolf's last publication should challenge the blank assumptions of Darwinism, and put the case for language..

- to pursue this wild paranoia, like blade-runner, we search for the replicants among us

- meanwhile, the illusion that "money is power" has come home to roost..

- in a world of oligarchs awash with monkey-money, it's hard not to be cynical..
- no wonder it has gone beyond comedy..

- even if you are NOT partisan, you have to ask yourself
- at what point does lobbying become bribery?

- at what point do we stop laughing, and sit up and take notice?
- It appears there is a growing number of people who are simply perplexed
- by what passes as "politics" or what constitutes "political power"

- as always, one trusts that people will hold together, and continue to press the case for probity in government..

*Bug exits to The Frog Chorus by Lord Paul MCartnish GCE and bar*

- etc, etc.. :lol:

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Sun, 20. May 18, 05:36

BugMeister wrote:"Here come ole flat-top, he come groovin' up slowly.."

- language can be challenging, Tom Wolf was a shining star when it came to defining the "feeling" engendered by words - a master..
- it's always provoked discussion, and will continue to do so
Marshall McLuhan used to take issue with it's "misuse"..
- and it's interesting that Wolf's last publication should challenge the blank assumptions of Darwinism, and put the case for language..

*Bug exits to The Frog Chorus by Lord Paul MCartnish GCE and bar*

- etc, etc.. :lol:
Great, nicely done, plenty of references, but lacking focus and a clear message. More importantly, what you are talking about?
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 20. May 18, 05:52

Santi wrote:...More importantly, what you are talking about?
^--- This.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Sun, 20. May 18, 15:04

"Napoleon in rags, and the language that he use..
Go to him now, he calls you - you can't refuse..
When you got nothing, you got nothing to lose.."

- the Trump administration is a farce..
- even the language they use is farcical..

- there are literally hundreds of examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nhoGIvOKJU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHv0RExQsPQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ0AnL-L6u4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pzODB1eL7s

- got it? :wink:

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 22. May 18, 07:36

Pence say's DPRK/KJU will end up like Libya

Uh... Do these people live in a different world? In the world I live in, Libya was full of possible opportunists, from tribal leaders to exiled generals aching for their place in history. With the flames of what could only be described as "rebellion" echoing in neighboring countries, it was ripe for a revolt of its own, one that may have been put down if not for outside intervention, I'll add.

NONE of these things exist in DPRK. It's possible there could be some general that has escaped the dictator's noose, but a population that would be willing to rise against what amounts to their divine dynasty?

Does he expect that we will somehow just fly over there with air support and the UK, urged, practically compelled, by our French allies, to assist some phantom force in a hostile overthrow of the regime?

And, all while South Korea claps? It's hard to clap while they're digging graves of possibly tens of thousands, if not more, people killed in the region of Seoul, within practically a hand-grenade-toss from what may be the most massed artillery seen since Waterloo...

Holy crap these people are stupid and say stupid things. It's maddening. It serves no purpose other than to risk innocent people's lives for the sake of a darn headline.

Do they want a war? Is that it? Must they have "their war?"

Something happened when Pompeo made an uprecendented, practially revolutionary isit to DPRK. Something. Is that why this insane rhetoric continues? Do they have some "leverage" that nobody is speaking about? They must, because no sane person would seek to inflame this delicate situation any further and jeopardize an opportunity for, at the very least, a possible beginning for a peaceful discussion.

I have no doubt that it's very likely KJU has no intentions at all of giving up his iron-fisted rule of DRPK nor do I doubt his continued sabre-rattling against his neighbor. But, we need to take advantage of whatever we can that may possibly lead to true peace, even if we have to wade through a mountain of distasteful crap to get there and spare some lives in the process.
Bugmeister wrote:- got it?
Maybe...

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Tue, 22. May 18, 23:36

- strange scenes from inside the gold-mine..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UeLFyNmbN4

- this ridiculous plotting and scheming is unprecedented for many of us.. it's playing out like some horrible morality
play in which anything honest and truthful is mercilessly slaughtered in the name of loyalty to the glorious leader..
- it plays out at the epic scale of Lord Of The Rings, written during the lead-up to and during the second world war, btw..
Essentially, the saga demands that we accept the existence of good and evil in a world of turmoil and upheaval..
it points us to those individuals who hold power and shows us how their followers are rallied to the cause..
it warns us of corrupt leaders who's morality has been mangled by greed and lust for control
it also shows us the true meaning of fellowship and courage in the face of grave danger..
oh, and did I mention that it was written by an Oxford professor of language
against the backdrop of war in Europe - as a fairy tale for his son, who was fighting the enemy..??

- words, words, all is words..
yet how wonderful those words can be.. :roll:

Return to “Off Topic English”