Please make all types of ship and weapon can be able to reverse-engineer by player HQ

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

zergline117s
x4

Please make all types of ship and weapon can be able to reverse-engineer by player HQ

Post by zergline117s » Thu, 17. May 18, 03:27

Please make all type of ship and weapon in the game can be able to reverse-engineer by player HQ. Then player can mass produce it, build a Xenon ship fleet or Khaak ship fleet. The mission-chain reward unique ship, like Split Acinonyx Prototype in X3AP

The game need a late game purpose. Once player own money, resource, mass fleet, then what? Can I clean out a system, claim the sovereignty? Even build my own empire,like in Mount & Blade.
This is one of ideas.

Thank you EGOSOFT bring us this wonderful game. :wink:

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Thu, 17. May 18, 08:49

Please don't, I'd rather enemy ships weren't buildable it would ruin balance and I'd rather keep enemy ships separate to keep them special and unique.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Karvat
x4

Post by Karvat » Thu, 17. May 18, 10:48

I do not want to pilot a Khaak or Xenon ship, I always want to see them as opposing ships

Fleabum
x4

Post by Fleabum » Thu, 17. May 18, 10:50

Karvat wrote:I do not want to pilot a Khaak or Xenon ship, I always want to see them as opposing ships
Then don't pilot them, but personally I love to pilot all the ships in the SANDBOX game. ;)

Regards
Flea

Karvat
x4

Post by Karvat » Thu, 17. May 18, 15:20

I can understand your point of view, being a sandbox game it is easy that someone wants to feel able to control everything.
But in this particular case this feature would remove immersiveness to the game, and I'll explain why: imagine that you are attacking a Xenon ship, and know that it is a crazy machine, without a pilot on board then, it makes no sense that this ship will give up after a couple of shots, he has nothing to lose anyway, it's just a crazy machine that does not know what it's doing. So the fact that it surrenders in my opinion would reduce immersiveness and make their behavior stupid.

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Thu, 17. May 18, 15:29

Karvat wrote:I can understand your point of view, being a sandbox game it is easy that someone wants to feel able to control everything.
But in this particular case this feature would remove immersiveness to the game, and I'll explain why: imagine that you are attacking a Xenon ship, and know that it is a crazy machine, without a pilot on board then, it makes no sense that this ship will give up after a couple of shots, he has nothing to lose anyway, it's just a crazy machine that does not know what it's doing. So the fact that it surrenders in my opinion would reduce immersiveness and make their behavior stupid.
Have you played X3?

sd_jasper
x4

Post by sd_jasper » Thu, 17. May 18, 15:30

Karvat wrote:I can understand your point of view, being a sandbox game it is easy that someone wants to feel able to control everything.
I think this also brings up the question of Life Support. The Xenon don't need any form of lifesupport in their ships, and IIRC the Kha'ak are also have very different needs. Being able to use their ships would require being able to tear out a good portion of them and installing life-support systems for the standard races.

And before you suggest that the lifesupport needs of Teladi, Split, Paranid, and Argon are a bit different, they have been trading with each other for a long time. It makes sense that they would make their ships able to accommodate each of the races of the Commonwealth.

Karvat
x4

Post by Karvat » Thu, 17. May 18, 15:36

Indeed, I feel that the best thing is that the only ships that can be piloted are those of the commonwealth (all) and those piloted (not automatic or belonging to alien races so different and hostile as the Khaak).
Although unfortunately in the absence of Split and Boron it will be very sad, I still prefer that Xenon ships will not be flyable

Karvat
x4

Post by Karvat » Thu, 17. May 18, 15:39

adeine wrote:
Have you played X3?
I did, and really disliked the possibility to pilot them, as I did not like the fact of finding unique ships abandoned in space

The only way I can accept to fly a hostile ship is if this race has a complete economy like all the others, is able to trade, interact and guarantees the same gameplay possibilities that you would have with the others (obviously excluded those that look like crazy machines)
Last edited by Karvat on Thu, 17. May 18, 15:56, edited 1 time in total.

sd_jasper
x4

Post by sd_jasper » Thu, 17. May 18, 15:56

Karvat wrote:Indeed, I feel that the best thing is that the only ships that can be piloted are those of the commonwealth (all) and those piloted (not automatic or belonging to alien races so different and hostile as the Khaak).
Although unfortunately in the absence of Split and Boron it will be very sad, I still prefer that Xenon ships will not be flyable
Is it confirmed there are no Split? I know there hasn't been any shown yet, but had only heard it said that the Boron would not be in the game (at launch).

Karvat
x4

Post by Karvat » Thu, 17. May 18, 16:01

Unfortunately, from what I have understood there will be NPC split, but no ship or station
For the Borons there will not be anything, you can not even imagine how sad I am for this. Two more races, especially so much loved by the community would have added a level of immersiveness and incredible variety to this game

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 17. May 18, 21:26

I don't think it's a matter of controlling everything. For me, one of the best challenges I had in X3 Reunion was playing the Kha'ak start. That required, you guessed it, the ability to fly Kha'ak ships. It IS a sandbox game, so the player should be able to play as whatever race they want, IMO.
Umm, it's a "crazy machine". Its systems can be overloaded and forced to shut down. In other words, 'surrender'. :wink:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Fleabum
x4

Post by Fleabum » Thu, 17. May 18, 21:59

Having ships in a sandbox game you can't fly is bad. I agree with Nanook, playing the game as the Xenon or Kha'ak offers interesting dimensions and different play styles.

If you think that either capturing or flying Xenon and/or Kha'ak will break your immersion, then don't. If you happen to disable the computer core or power supply to a Xenon ship and don't want to capture it, then destroy it. You have that choice.

As soon as you force your gameplay style on others you force them not to be able to fly ships they want to fly, in essence you force others to play by your chosen playstyle, and that's pretty selfish. Those players would have no choice.

Regards
Flea

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Thu, 17. May 18, 22:34

They've already confirmed that player-owned stations can incorporate ship building facilities. That's good enough for me, so personally less interested in X3 style reverse engineering. I'm fine with building the standard range of ships. Unless it's a really simple thing to add (i.e .could be done in a matter of minutes), would much prefer they spent the time it would take to implement reverse engineering to work on other aspects of the game.

PowerPC603
xr

Post by PowerPC603 » Fri, 18. May 18, 23:48

Argon, Split, Teladi, Boron and Paranid ships can be captured after their pilot bails out.
It has nobody flying it anymore and you can claim it as your own.
With Xenon ships, you should be able to capture those as well, but since they have no pilot, they can't bail out but you could damage the computer which crashes. So to speak, it lost it's pilot too.

If they have no cockpit as we are used to, you can't fly it but you can still use a tractor beam to tow it to your shipyard.

And since it's still a ship with engines, weapons and other parts like any other ship, you can also dismantle it like any other ship and get the blueprints from them.

It would be immersion breaking if you can dismantle 99% of all ships but not a few select types.
Would those special ships be undestructible or what, which prevents them from being reversed engineered?
That would be silly.
If you can dismantle a Ford, Porsche, Volvo, ... (basically any car), what would prevent you from dismantling a Ferrari? Nothing.

Same for Xenon ships. Why allow reverse engineering almost any ship in the game except Xenon/Khaak? It just doesn't make any sense.

And some players would love to be able to fly those ships.
If some players don't want to reverse engineer those ships, then don't do it, but still allow the players who want those ships to be able to fly them and build them.
GamePC: 64bit Quad-core i5-3450 @ 3.1GHz, 12GB RAM, nVidia GeForce RTX2070 8GB, 22" LG Full-HD LED-monitor, Windows 7 Home 64bit

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Sat, 19. May 18, 01:01

PowerPC603 wrote: Same for Xenon ships. Why allow reverse engineering almost any ship in the game except Xenon/Khaak? It just doesn't make any sense.
RE'ing Xenon ships isn't a problem for me: they're (ultimately) human-designed & use the same materials according to lore

Khaak ships, however.. I'm in two minds over. They're a completely different species, owe nothing to X-verse tech & may well be made from & operated by completely different materials (eg chitin/ceramic vs steel/titanium; organic nerve fibres rather than metallic/optical cables for internal data transmission). RE'ing such a ship would be v hard but doable; reconstructing it for <race> use may be impossible
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Mon, 21. May 18, 06:48

Fleabum wrote:Having ships in a sandbox game you can't fly is bad. I agree with Nanook, playing the game as the Xenon or Kha'ak offers interesting dimensions and different play styles.

If you think that either capturing or flying Xenon and/or Kha'ak will break your immersion, then don't. If you happen to disable the computer core or power supply to a Xenon ship and don't want to capture it, then destroy it. You have that choice.

As soon as you force your gameplay style on others you force them not to be able to fly ships they want to fly, in essence you force others to play by your chosen playstyle, and that's pretty selfish. Those players would have no choice.

Regards
Flea

Personally i'd prefer that you can play AS the Xenon or the Kha'ak like you would choose the Teladi Profiteer or the Terran Fleet Pilot starts.

People can get their want for flying those vehicles that way.
Nanook is right, Xenon Ships could break down and be salvaged that way.

But last I remembered, Xenon ships don't have cockpits? They're essentially Artificially Intelligent Drones and CPU Ships?
You'd need to Gerry-rig a cockpit to them which is not what reverse-engineering is about?
The Old CPU ships had Control areas as Terran Conflict, Marines get on board a rogue CPU Ship during the Story Plot? But Xenon have evolved since then?
Snafu_X3 wrote:
PowerPC603 wrote: Same for Xenon ships. Why allow reverse engineering almost any ship in the game except Xenon/Khaak? It just doesn't make any sense.
RE'ing Xenon ships isn't a problem for me: they're (ultimately) human-designed & use the same materials according to lore

Khaak ships, however.. I'm in two minds over. They're a completely different species, owe nothing to X-verse tech & may well be made from & operated by completely different materials (eg chitin/ceramic vs steel/titanium; organic nerve fibres rather than metallic/optical cables for internal data transmission). RE'ing such a ship would be v hard but doable; reconstructing it for <race> use may be impossible

Could essentially be like the US Military trying to Reverse Engineer a crashed UFO.
Kha'ak Tech could be completely alien to the Commonwealth? Maybe Terran's could make Head or Tails of it but perhaps that's the point of the Kha'ak, they're supposed to be a Mystery. Heck, we don't even know what they essentially look like apart from mentions of insect-like creatures that are a Hive intelligence.

Perhaps keep them that way? Like the Chigs from Space: Above and Beyond, not knowing what they looked like through the series until the End was what made them so cool.
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

Matterom
x4

Post by Matterom » Mon, 21. May 18, 19:36

sd_jasper wrote: I think this also brings up the question of Life Support. The Xenon don't need any form of lifesupport in their ships, and IIRC the Kha'ak are also have very different needs. Being able to use their ships would require being able to tear out a good portion of them and installing life-support systems for the standard races.
In Lore it does mention that the Xenon Fighters have life support systems for Humanoid Life including a pilot seat and interface. and in XR you are able to land in a Xenon Station and it had (dead) people in it. Even after a few hundred years, some habits are hard to break.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 21. May 18, 21:29

Matterom wrote:...Even after a few hundred years, some

Code: Select all

hard to [rewrite].[/quote]

Fixed it for you.  :lol:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 30. May 18, 22:17

I'd like to see a system that allowed the player to reverse engineer a captured ship, but then allowed them to use the knowledge gained to build an entirely new, previously not-in-game, class of ship.

Xenon ship is captured.
Player spends time and resources to reverse engineer it.
Player discovers Xenon propulsion tech and weapons, is able to construct "XenonKiller Fighter Mk1" which hasn't been in the game up to that point.
Further research will allow the construction of more significant ships.

And...

Capturing ships from many different species might allow the player to construct "Really-specialized-and-uber-cool-ship-that-isn't-overpowered-yet-is-still-desirable" classes of ships.

IOW - Make aquiring new tech a meaningful, dynamic, and special goal for the player, but one that is not overpowered compared to the forces the player would like be able to muster at that stage of the game.

Return to “X4: Foundations”