Will a CAG buy a jumpdrive

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Codejnki
x4

Will a CAG buy a jumpdrive

Post by Codejnki » Tue, 15. May 18, 03:16

I have a couple of CAG pilots who are either 4th or 5th level. I realized that I never outfitted them with a jumpdrive.

Will the pilots take the initiative and purchase one on their own or do I need to hunt them down and give them one?

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Tue, 15. May 18, 04:16

I don't know if they will, but I'd never let them. Wandering off task looking for stuff is the surest way for a CAG to get slaughtered.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Tue, 15. May 18, 05:23

Timsup2nothin wrote:I don't know if they will, but I'd never let them. Wandering off task looking for stuff is the surest way for a CAG to get slaughtered.
Hi,

this is a strange opinion. CAGs will cover the same sectors with or without jumpdrive. Only without one they need to cross through all of the sectors in between.

So: No they don't buy one. And yes: I DO outfit ALL CAGs with jumpdrive from the begin. In fact I always buy all new freighters with an installed jumpdrive and outfit used ships with one immediately.

cu
Rainer

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Tue, 15. May 18, 08:22

RainerPrem wrote:
Timsup2nothin wrote:I don't know if they will, but I'd never let them. Wandering off task looking for stuff is the surest way for a CAG to get slaughtered.
Hi,

this is a strange opinion. CAGs will cover the same sectors with or without jumpdrive. Only without one they need to cross through all of the sectors in between.

So: No they don't buy one. And yes: I DO outfit ALL CAGs with jumpdrive from the begin. In fact I always buy all new freighters with an installed jumpdrive and outfit used ships with one immediately.

cu
Rainer
I think you misunderstood. I don't know if a CAG will go buy a jump drive on their own, because I always supply them with their jump drive. I know that I NEVER give them fight command software, because if they traipse away on their own in search of drones, or mosquitoes, they often get themselves killed in the process. Anything my CAG/CLS pilots get, they get from me.

Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Tue, 15. May 18, 13:02

They will buy a jump drive automatically. But they don't go looking for it, it'll be automatically delivered but it's a higher cost because of it. (It's listed specifically in the instruction manual that comes with the bonus pack.)
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Tue, 15. May 18, 15:35

Triaxx2 wrote:They will buy a jump drive automatically. But they don't go looking for it, it'll be automatically delivered but it's a higher cost because of it. (It's listed specifically in the instruction manual that comes with the bonus pack.)
What you describe is how it works for the Mk3 trader, which can use the jumpdrive from level 8 onwards, and will order one at level 12. Mk3 and CAG are different scripts from different authors though.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 15. May 18, 15:59

Triaxx2 wrote:... (It's listed specifically in the instruction manual that comes with the bonus pack.)
:? I did just iterate every occurrence of (sub)word "jump" in X3AP Bonuspack Readme and saw no such claim.

The Trade Mk3 (aka UT) does auto-order Jumpdrive and that was listed in (X2/X3R?) Bonuspack Readme, when the UT script was still in the Bonuspack and not in base game as in X3AP.

CAG and CLS do (according to manual) go to buy Fighter Drones, Engine and Rudder Tunings / Mosquitos, if Fight Mk1 / Mk2 are installed. Drones and Mosquitos are consumables, unlike software/JD.

They neither fetch nor order Jumpdrive. Furthermore, their default is to not jump to trade destination even if they have level and JD. Pilots of all levels do carry 40 ECell (4 jumps?) if the ship has JD, presumably for emergency jump. (CAG and CLS1 refuel at homebase. CLS2 expects you to set refuelling waypoints.)

Yes, you have to explicitly get the jump drives.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Tue, 15. May 18, 19:26

Since it's often desirable to have a CAG operate in a relatively confined area, I normally only give them a JD if they're allowed to stray more than 2 sectors from the factory. In most cases, it's simply not needed, and most of the saved transit times on such short jumps will be offset by the detours to restock E-cells.

Mk.3 traders, on the other hand, WILL buy the JD on their own after some point, so it may be better if you supply it in advance, before they take it upon their own inititative and pay extra to have it delivered.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Tue, 15. May 18, 21:07

This makes me wonder something about Mk3s, which I haven't used in a long time and don't want to use just so I can find out for myself.

1) If I am on hostile terms with everyone that has jump drives to sell will my Mk3 pilot still be able to order one and get it delivered?

2) If I transfer a jump drive out from under my Mk3 pilot will he order another one?

I'm sure you can see where this is going...

Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Wed, 16. May 18, 05:56

jlehtone wrote: ... Furthermore, their default is to not jump to trade destination even if they have level and JD. Pilots of all levels do carry 40 ECell (4 jumps?) if the ship has JD, presumably for emergency jump. (CAG and CLS1 refuel at homebase. CLS2 expects you to set refuelling waypoints.)

Yes, you have to explicitly get the jump drives.
Correct, you explicitly need to activate jump drive usage. The default fuel reserve is 10% of the total storage. The typical Mercury/Mistral load is 400 eCells. But you can change this if your freighters have different work area sizes.

cu
Rainer

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Wed, 16. May 18, 12:49

Yup, definitely had it confused with Trade Mk3. Had forgotten that one was even part of the bonus pack. :P
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Wed, 16. May 18, 13:28

Honved wrote:... detours to restock E-cells.
This can only happen if the home factory doesn't have any e-Cells in stock at all. Even if this factory does not produce them, all CAGs refuel when docking.

cu
Rainer

zazie
x4

Post by zazie » Mon, 11. Jun 18, 15:09

Timsup2nothin wrote:1) If I am on hostile terms with everyone that has jump drives to sell will my Mk3 pilot still be able to order one and get it delivered?

2) If I transfer a jump drive out from under my Mk3 pilot will he order another one?
Speaking about X3TC and earlier, don't know about AP:
Yes and yes.

The combination of both methods was - almost - the only way of getting JDs when playing "pirate" games. The only other method - capping ships and hoping the JD would be part of the equipment - is not really an alternative as the probability is veeeery low

[on a side note: I am positively sure that somebody will 'jump in' telling us that he earned a lot of JDs from capping. Which tells us: The Random Generator is not everybody's darling ...]

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Mon, 11. Jun 18, 20:38

zazie wrote:
Timsup2nothin wrote:1) If I am on hostile terms with everyone that has jump drives to sell will my Mk3 pilot still be able to order one and get it delivered?

Speaking about X3TC and earlier, don't know about AP:
Yes and yes.

The combination of both methods was - almost - the only way of getting JDs when playing "pirate" games. The only other method - capping ships and hoping the JD would be part of the equipment - is not really an alternative as the probability is veeeery low

[on a side note: I am positively sure that somebody will 'jump in' telling us that he earned a lot of JDs from capping. Which tells us: The Random Generator is not everybody's darling ...]
Thanks...and, yeah, that's exactly where I was going.

Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

zazie
x4

Post by zazie » Thu, 14. Jun 18, 09:50

Oh, a bit of additional information (haven't thought of that in my previous post):
In X3R and X3TC, a MK3-pilot will keep its "get away from enemies as soon as possible"-features even in situations when he has 'lost' the JD.

This is a priceless feature in the early days of a pirate game: you are struggling for every single credit and your first Mk3-ship has got his first jumpdrive. Of course you take it over to your playership. The freighter is now for a couple of time (first for earning the 500k cr. for another JD and second for the time of delivery) without a JD. He obviously can't jump to profitable trades. But if he is attacked he will jump away!

So - in a pirate game - don't forget to equip your [first] Mk3-Freighter with maximum shields allowing him to charge the JD when under attack and getting away with limited damage.

EDIT: Not everything is wrong in this post, but the core statement is false: It is wrong that freighters would jump without JD. See explanation (and excuse) in my post from june 18.
Last edited by zazie on Mon, 18. Jun 18, 12:14, edited 1 time in total.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 17. Jun 18, 15:56

:? They jump without drive? :o

Every ship has event handlers, like "taking damage", "got killed". Routines that are called on such events. For example, the standard TS "taking damage" routine does, among other things, launch Drones to protect the ship.

When Mk3 script starts on a ship, it replaces the "taking damage" routine with a version that does jump. If that routine does not check for presence of JD, and engine in itself does not require JD for a "jump", then yes, jump they do.

At least X3R Mk3 version did not restore the standard routine when the Mk3 command was stopped. You could start Mk3 on a ship to "update" the event handler, and then transfer the ship to different duty, like station trader, and retain the "jump to evade" behaviour.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

zazie
x4

Post by zazie » Mon, 18. Jun 18, 12:12

Thanks for those precise questions. They urged me to search in the Archives. and I have to correct my post from june 14.

Quotation from my own thread, post 5 (Original in German)
"Interessanter Nebeneffekt eines Schiffswechsels: Schiffe, in denen einmal ein Sektoren- oder Universumshändler gewirkt hat, behalten den Fluchtreflex, sofern Sprungantrieb und Energiezellen an Bord sind. Das kann man sich zu nutze machen, um beispielsweise Stationsversorger oder "Verkaufe Waren zum besten Preis"-Schiffe in gefährlichen Gegenden zu schützen."
Rough translation: 'side-effect of changing pilots between ships: a ship that has been Mk3-Trader will retain his "jump to evade" behavior as long as there is a JD and E-Cells on the new ship. You can use that feature to 'protect' CAG or "Sell for best price"-freighters in dangerous sectors'.

=> my statement that MK3-traders jump without JD simply is wrong. Sorry for that 'hick-up' im my memory.
But even if the effect is much lesser important than I thought you can use this feature by preparing a freighter designated to operate in 'dangerous sectors'. Start it as Mk3-Trader and change pilot - but keep JD and EC on the ship.

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Fri, 22. Jun 18, 03:35

Unsure if this behaviour is AP-specific, but in vanilla TC CAG/CLS pilots will /not/ buy jumpdrives even if JD capability is specifically enabled (& useable by pilot rank)

UT pilots will automatically buy & use JD at (IIRC) rank 12 (at a 10% premium), but they are /not/ transferable to CAG/CLS rankings: they'll start back at rank 0 if you do (I'm not going into the tricks here)

NOTE: only UT pilots will auto-equip JD (once ranked). This can happen anywhere, even in an otherwise impenetrable system. If you de-rank them (by setting them to ST or LT duties) they will continue to lvl to their max of 20)

This may be a convenient way to gain JDs early/mid game, albeit at a price premium, but for the most part I prefer to courier JDs in as necessary
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”