Of death and loading screens

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Ezarkal
x4

Of death and loading screens

Post by Ezarkal » Tue, 8. May 18, 19:33

Here is an interesting idea from another user that popped up in the XR modding forum recently. It's about something that nagged me quite a lot, and I thought I would transfer it here as a suggestion for the next game:

Whenever we die, we get the “game over” screen for a few seconds. Then the game will directly load the main menu, where you can reload your last save. (or start a new game or rage-quit, whatever is your favorite method of coping with virtual death…)

The problem is, since the main menu usually have a “generic game” running as background, your computer will spend time to load this, then will spend time to re-load your game. This is not much of an issue on newer computers, or on unmodded games. But for older and/or less performant builds, the loading times can get quite long.

So instead of having to load the game twice, could we simply get the main menu’s options on the “game over” screen?
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Tonsilgon
x4

Post by Tonsilgon » Wed, 9. May 18, 13:25

This is a very good point. Why would I want to go to the main menu, when I die?
70% of the time I want to load the last savegame.
29% of the time I want to load an older savegame.
1% I want to quit the game, maybe even the computer and do something else.

sd_jasper
x4

Post by sd_jasper » Wed, 9. May 18, 14:16

+1

Waiting for the Game Over and then reloading after dying can be quite rage inducing! I'd much rather just get the options to reload or quit on the game over screen.

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Wed, 9. May 18, 15:36

Yeah, I agree. At this point I have muscle memory to hit ESC when I know I'm gonna die.

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Wed, 9. May 18, 17:23

This is a really good idea.

ajime
x4

Post by ajime » Thu, 10. May 18, 04:34

makes sense.

Hankyke
x4

Post by Hankyke » Thu, 10. May 18, 21:58

Or there is an option to choose "When game over, load last savegame automatically" in game settings.

Would save some time aswell :D
Laptop: MSI GE62-6QD . Intel Core i7-6700HQ, 16 Gb DDR4 memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 2 GB GDDR5, 128 Gb SSD

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Fri, 11. May 18, 00:32

Or... If some players like the idea of dead is dead gameplay the Devs could make it a option that if you play as DiD then when the game over screen shows then all ur saves get deleted automatically as well er ur dead so there's no going back mwhahaaa. :twisted:

If you want a extreme version maybe game can uninstall itself too lol since u died you can't play anymore, bet people will play really...... Carefully then lol.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Fri, 11. May 18, 03:47

Perhaps the 'enforced timout' is a deliberate psychological method to enforce you to get up & walk around a bit, make a coffee.. something to avoid/alleviate ragequit & make you calm down & maybe think about how you could have done things differently? :)
Skeeter wrote:Or... If some players like the idea of dead is dead gameplay the Devs could make it a option that if you play as DiD then when the game over screen shows then all ur saves get deleted automatically as well er ur dead so there's no going back mwhahaaa. :twisted:
Or simply add a suitable text line: "All your saves are belong to us.. Deleting.."
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Fri, 11. May 18, 03:53

Skeeter wrote:Or... If some players like the idea of dead is dead gameplay the Devs could make it a option that if you play as DiD then when the game over screen shows then all ur saves get deleted automatically as well er ur dead so there's no going back mwhahaaa. :twisted:

If you want a extreme version maybe game can uninstall itself too lol since u died you can't play anymore, bet people will play really...... Carefully then lol.
"Difficulty level - One Chance Only: Should you die, you save file will be deleted, the game will uninstall, your cd key will become unusable and your whole computer will be set aflame." :twisted:

All joking aside, considering the fact that anyone can play "dead is dead" as a home-made rule, I don't see why they would add it to the game.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 14. May 18, 22:08

Ezarkal wrote:....
All joking aside, considering the fact that anyone can play "dead is dead" as a home-made rule, I don't see why they would add it to the game.
This is a contentious issue and is covered in another thread. Let's not let it boil over into this unrelated topic. Thanks. :)
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Return to “X4: Foundations”