X3:AP Aiding the War Effort

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

NewtSoup
x4

X3:AP Aiding the War Effort

Post by NewtSoup » Tue, 24. Apr 18, 20:53

When I have missions such as "Aiding the \War Effort" or even "Defend X station", do wing man kills count or do I have to make each and every kill myself?

Are there any script to make wing man hits count towards missions and combat rank?
I am a rock in the wind, watch how I plummet!
Gamer Girl since 1981 Mistress of Heavy Landings since 1984 (BBC-B Elite)

Corei7 7700, 16GB Ram, MSI RX6700XT, Sidewinder FFB2, Kubuntu 22.04

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 24. Apr 18, 21:05

Kills by your assets should count.

They definitely do for Defend Station: I've told my M7C to flail small attackers and board the large ones. In the end there were no more red ships and the mission was a success. Same goes for Patrols, Assassinations, ...

Not certain about war. I kill Terrans for fun, without missions. 8)
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Tue, 24. Apr 18, 21:20

Thanks, that info gives me cause to try it and see.

My current game is shooty fighty. But my other saved game is one where the "player" never fires a shot. Would be nice if I can complete the main plot using shots fired only by assets.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 24. Apr 18, 21:29

I'm not sure about the plots. Which game requires capturing an L? Do you count missiles launched from personal ship as shots? (I have on occasion got blue Xenon with missiles.)

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Tue, 24. Apr 18, 21:41

jlehtone wrote:I'm not sure about the plots. Which game requires capturing an L? Do you count missiles launched from personal ship as shots? (I have on occasion got blue Xenon with missiles.)
The Argon based starts in AP at one point require to deliver an L (at the Berryll Research station in Albion Alpha IIRC)

cu
Rainer

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Tue, 24. Apr 18, 21:58

You're right. I'd forgotten about having to capture an L.

Well there goes that idea.

Is there anyway to use the script editor to mark the main plot as "completed" so I can just do the Hub and PHQ plots instead?

Sinxar
x4

Post by Sinxar » Tue, 24. Apr 18, 21:58

Yeah what RainerPrem said, in AP Argon plot.

Interesting dilemma though. Has anyone thought of hiding an abandoned L somewhere for people who don't want to fight? Imagine one hidden next to a Xenon shipyard. Would be difficult to get but not impossible.

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Tue, 24. Apr 18, 22:13

Sinxar wrote:Yeah what RainerPrem said, in AP Argon plot.

Interesting dilemma though. Has anyone thought of hiding an abandoned L somewhere for people who don't want to fight? Imagine one hidden next to a Xenon shipyard. Would be difficult to get but not impossible.
That just made me imagine the Galactica Jumping in next to a Cylon,, I mean Xenon Hub and a Raptor launching and taking control of an enemy ship while the Galactica takes the heat and provides cover fire.

I really need to watch this series again.

DrSuperEvil
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by DrSuperEvil » Tue, 24. Apr 18, 23:56

You only need to do aid the war effort for the commonwealth AP Main Plot. The progress is based on war points gained. You need a total of 3500 for the entire plot. The points gained are based on the max hull of the killing ship and the class of the ship killed. Solano/Scorpion Prototype is best since that can Thunderbolt Missile snipe targets from a safe distance. 3x M3 and 1x M6 kills is enough for all 3 aiding the war effort missions. Kills made by player owned ships that are not the player ship only get 1/20 of the points for a kill.

modernrocko
x3tc

Post by modernrocko » Wed, 25. Apr 18, 00:32

NewtSoup wrote:You're right. I'd forgotten about having to capture an L.

Is there anyway to use the script editor to mark the main plot as "completed" so I can just do the Hub and PHQ plots instead?
Are you roleplaying a character that has no fighting experience? Or to phrase the question another way: Is the "player" never firing a shot because they have no flight combat training and therefore would be useless in a fight?

If that's the reason, you could always let autopilot do the work for you. Your "player" has access to Fight Command software, perhaps capturing the L would be the one time the "player" decides they have no other choice except to put their life in the hands of the software. They get in the cockpit, navigate to a Xenon sector and hope for the best.

Just an idea. Trying to think outside the box of other ways of capturing an L.

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Wed, 25. Apr 18, 02:16

modernrocko wrote:

Are you roleplaying a character that has no fighting experience? Or to phrase the question another way: Is the "player" never firing a shot because they have no flight combat training and therefore would be useless in a fight?

If that's the reason, you could always let autopilot do the work for you. Your "player" has access to Fight Command software, perhaps capturing the L would be the one time the "player" decides they have no other choice except to put their life in the hands of the software. They get in the cockpit, navigate to a Xenon sector and hope for the best.

Just an idea. Trying to think outside the box of other ways of capturing an L.
Pretty much. I was thinking of a company director who sits in a station or at best goes in a ship to oversee complex construction but stays out of hostile situations.

It's a shame ships don't bail when not hit by direct player fire. The autopilot idea is interesting.. could be done from the bridge of a corvette. A cap ship could be an issue though.

I hadn't thought of it as "roleplay" that much but yes you could classify it as such.

ajime
x4

Post by ajime » Wed, 25. Apr 18, 04:03

NewtSoup wrote:
Sinxar wrote:Yeah what RainerPrem said, in AP Argon plot.

That just made me imagine the Galactica Jumping in next to a Cylon,, I mean Xenon Hub and a Raptor launching and taking control of an enemy ship while the Galactica takes the heat and provides cover fire.

I really need to watch this series again.
You should throw your own Arawn in XR into such situations and see the same kind of fireworks everyday. :D

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Re: X3:AP Aiding the War Effort

Post by RAVEN.myst » Wed, 25. Apr 18, 04:33

NewtSoup wrote:When I have missions such as "Aiding the \War Effort" or even "Defend X station", do wing man kills count or do I have to make each and every kill myself?
I didn't read all the responses yet, so if this is answered already, my apologies. Sadly, only personal kills count for the "Aid the War Effort" (which I find galling, as in X3TC one of the challenges I occasionally enjoy is completing the entire game, all plots included, while maintaining a "Harmless" combat rank - ie. "clean hands" :D and this is impossible in X3AP) I have read in a couple of places that "delegated kills" do count, but simply generate far fewer "war points" toward the mission, but I've tested this extensively, using drones and wingmen (a "managed" play style that I favour, too, as a matter of fact) to get literally hundreds of kills, and still no progress through that stage of the game.]

Station defense missions, however, register kills not matter how they are acquired - even if not even by player assets. This is, in fact, a fairly popular "exploit" (at least, I see it as such ^_^ ) - get such a mission, then either sit in-sector and wait for the attackers to splatter themselves across the station (as they inevitably do, given enough time, especially the M5s), or leave altogether and go about one's business, secure in the knowledge that sooner or later some local law enforcement will happen by and dispose of the miscreants.

Regards, and happy hunting!
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 25. Apr 18, 22:08

There is Script Editor (SE) and Mission Director (MD). MD handles plots and generic missions.

With MD you should be able to modify plot states.
With SE / third part scripts you could spawn an L for yourself.
For any details, please visit the X3TC/AP S&M Forum.

The game keeps statistics, like:
  • Shots fired
  • Missiles launched
  • Personal kills
  • Combat rank
Whether you care about/are disturbed by those numbers or not is up to you.

Note though, that doing nothing long enough could help to "restore" your pasifist combat rank. See https://www.egosoft.com:8444/confluence ... WIKI/Ranks

Ramming counts as a kill. It has less effect on race reputation than shooting, but a kill is a kill. I usually ram the "Kill trade convoy" ships. You cannot get rid of the kill tally.

Xenon fighters (usually M's) have bailed, when hit by my missiles. Low chance, but possible. You will probably get a large kill count before you manage to claim and bring home a trophy.

Towing Mines with Tractor Beam counts as firing a gun.

More than those numbers, one should think of what is in the true nature of CEO.
Someone, who really never goes near danger?
Someone, whose moving headquarters is so big and heavily armed that it (or its turret crews) will squash bypassers, while the CEO is busy in a meeting.
Someone, who dashes into the fray in light eggshell despite owning billions worth of hardware?

If I tell my bomber squadron to barrage their missiles loads at hostiles, am I "Harmless" even though my kill count won't change?
If the turrets of my ship kill someone, am I more responsible than when the turrets of my other ships kill?

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Thu, 26. Apr 18, 08:46

Hi,

when the need for an L arose the first time I didn't have one, but jumping into a large Xenon group in Blackhole sun with a Boreas left one in my wake. In further games I always was on the lookout for one prior to the request.

What you also can do is to outfit an M1 or one of the M2+ with hangars with the "Overtake" software (don't remember the name at the moment) and forage in the central Xenon sector. In case of an abandoned L showing up you fly close by, acquire the L, transfer the docking software, jump over and dock. You should be able to do it quickly enough for the L to survive while it's in your hand. Save and reload might be your friend here as well.

cu
Rainer

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Thu, 26. Apr 18, 09:00

Code: Select all

$s = create ship: type=L owner= Player addto=Beryl Research Station x=null y=null z=null
should be enough and quite safe to use, direct acces from SE to the MD Plot files is impossible and messing with the MD files is dangerous for saves(much more than messing with SE)
https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=286343
If you want to capture your L try a Patr mission, they have better escapepods for their harddisks :D
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”