Always Learning

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

NewtSoup
x4

Always Learning

Post by NewtSoup » Wed, 18. Apr 18, 22:43

I still love this game. Just started a new one.

I always love my automated traders. The way they work like clockwork soothes my anxiety and the fact that they sometimes need a little tinkering satisfies my need ot occasionally tinker.

I am currently back in love with CLS2 rather than Universe Traders because I can assign them to specific ware and specific territories.

I've always trained my CLS in the ship they're going to live in for the rest of their lives whcih has struck me as very inefficient. They level up entirely on flight time so what I actually want to do is keep them flying as long as possible rather than doing sporadic journeys to make a bigger profit each time.

New Plan

Disco, no tunings, no cargo extension jus CLS2 and Nav 1
Assign to pick up a single e-cell in antigone memoriail
Assign to drop off at one of 3 stations in meneleaus's frontier even at a loss of 1 credit
Maximised flying time! Training time should be as close to the 8 hours as possible now.

I may modify this to 40 e-cells at 1 credit profit just to break even on the courier / forwarding agent pay requirements.
I am a rock in the wind, watch how I plummet!
Gamer Girl since 1981 Mistress of Heavy Landings since 1984 (BBC-B Elite)

Corei7 7700, 16GB Ram, MSI RX6700XT, Sidewinder FFB2, Kubuntu 22.04

TheDeliveryMan
x4

Post by TheDeliveryMan » Thu, 19. Apr 18, 06:46

To maximize flight time, pick 4 stations reasonable far apart from each other and with a safe routes in between them, for examample: Three Worlds -> Cloubase SW -> Antigone Memorial -> Cloudbase SE. Then just use "Fly to station" waypoints.

DrSuperEvil
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by DrSuperEvil » Thu, 19. Apr 18, 21:55

I use CLS mainly for storage of wares onto ships docked at a station/larger ship.

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Fri, 20. Apr 18, 13:58

DrSuperEvil wrote:I use CLS mainly for storage of wares onto ships docked at a station/larger ship.
I like to maintain the NPC stations to make sure they don't get poofed. Particularly ones like weapons forges. I also use them for secondary resources to make NPC stations run faster. This also has the secondary effect of keeping my race relations always on the rise.

Incidentally - I can't remember if turning on the script editor disables the plots. Does it?

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Fri, 20. Apr 18, 14:10

No, just set's it as a cheating game. Nothing but glitches or start conditions affect the plot. IE the start in the Giant Rock sector marks the Terran Plot complete.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 20. Apr 18, 16:41

Triaxx2 wrote:... as a cheating game.
I disagree with that assessment. Enabling the script editor is not cheating. You can cheat with or without modifying the game.

A game that has script editor enabled has "modified" flag on. That flag merely indicates that the game might have been modified. In that state one cannot be sure that every technical problem with the game is due to vanilla features.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Fri, 20. Apr 18, 18:49

Well, one of my games is a micromanagement only game but I still want to do hub plot etc.

So I need to mark the main plot as completed somehow.

The pilot in this game has never fired a shot and never will. She has only 1 ship ( a personal kestrel, used only for placing stations. (If I could place stations without leaving another station I would do that )

So I'm going to be relying on a lot of OOS combat for this game most likely. The reason I can't complete the main AP plot is because it requires me to shoot stuff.

I'm hoping the "defend the station" part of the HQ plot can be done with a remote controlled task force in sector.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 20. Apr 18, 21:15

NewtSoup wrote:... I also use them for secondary resources to make NPC stations run faster....
Just an FYI, this doesn't make them run faster. The only purpose of secondary resources is as a resource sink for the economy. It gives a purpose to all those otherwise 'useless' wares, and lets the player make extra credits. :wink:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Fri, 20. Apr 18, 21:41

I recommend WVH(don't remember en shortcut) for supplying NPCs, it's from the same author as CLS.
Basically you get a Unitrader with a list of products to supply the producing factories.
I don't know an en mirror but the script has an en langfile.
https://www.xuniversum.info/index.php?o ... Itemid=199
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Fri, 20. Apr 18, 22:41

ubuntufreakdragon wrote:I recommend WVH(don't remember en shortcut)...
Economy and Supply Trader (EST). ;) Not part of the Bonus Package though, in case that's relevant to the OP.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Sat, 21. Apr 18, 03:52

X2-Illuminatus wrote:
ubuntufreakdragon wrote:I recommend WVH(don't remember en shortcut)...
Economy and Supply Trader (EST). ;) Not part of the Bonus Package though, in case that's relevant to the OP.
As activating the Script Editor was mentioned before I guessed NO.
Any SE doesn't disable Plots but chosing the custom gamestart does, as this start is meant for quickly testing mapfiles
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Sat, 21. Apr 18, 14:55

ubuntufreakdragon wrote:I recommend WVH(don't remember en shortcut) for supplying NPCs, it's from the same author as CLS.
Basically you get a Unitrader with a list of products to supply the producing factories.
I don't know an en mirror but the script has an en langfile.
https://www.xuniversum.info/index.php?o ... Itemid=199
Ahh, I always thought it would knock a bit off the cycle time. Heard it on these forums years ago. Never timed an NPC factory so had no reason to disbelieve it.

However, yes. Secondary runs are quite lucrative :)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 21. Apr 18, 16:39

I think it was broadly believed in the early game X-Tension that while player stations did not trade in secondary resources, they would not produce as quickly as an NPC factory that did have them available.

I don't know how factually true that was back then but this was not implemented in X games since (apart from the player stations not trading secondary resources bit - except with player SPPs needing crystals for balance reasons). No other station type (player or NPC) needs secondary resources.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Mon, 23. Apr 18, 11:30

I learned no too long ago from Cycrow on the steam forums that Secondary do give stations a bonus, albeit a small one. I too was convinced they were just there as a sink.

MFG

Ketraar

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Mon, 23. Apr 18, 15:07

Ketraar wrote:I learned no too long ago from Cycrow on the steam forums that Secondary do give stations a bonus, albeit a small one. I too was convinced they were just there as a sink.

MFG

Ketraar
Now I'm confused lol But doesn't matter because my ships deal in secondaries anyway. They go where the profitsss are.

Just bought a Chokaro and sold few tons of sunrise flowers to the Yaki, now they like me well enough that I can supply the PBG Forges and SFD's in Weavers. I'm fairly certain too that now I'm true blue with them I can start building my Bliss Place and SFD's in Yaki space without fear of reprisal.

I know they'd get blown up in.. well everywhere else except bliss places in Teladi space. I don't own my own sector yet.

Once hub plot is part way through I'll connect Yaki Space through somewhere more accessible / lucrative via the hub. I hear the Boron like a bottle or two of space fuel in their tanks.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Mon, 23. Apr 18, 15:59

NewtSoup wrote:
Ketraar wrote:I learned no too long ago from Cycrow on the steam forums that Secondary do give stations a bonus, albeit a small one. I too was convinced they were just there as a sink.

MFG

Ketraar
Now I'm confused lol But doesn't matter because my ships deal in secondaries anyway. They go where the profitsss are.
Unconfusing things:

- Only NPC stations have Secondary Resources
- Secondary Resources give these stations a small boost in production ( Cycrows statement here )

It wont affect your trading opportunities much, unless you rely on NPC station output, then it may be a good strategy to keep the secondary stocked up for greater output.

MFG

Ketraar

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Mon, 23. Apr 18, 17:50

Ketraar wrote:
NewtSoup wrote:

MFG

Ketraar
Unconfusing things:

- Only NPC stations have Secondary Resources
- Secondary Resources give these stations a small boost in production ( Cycrows statement here )

It wont affect your trading opportunities much, unless you rely on NPC station output, then it may be a good strategy to keep the secondary stocked up for greater output.

MFG

Ketraar
Certainly do. The way I run my trade networks is this:

Instead of big self sufficient complexes I only build complexes of a certain resource level. So Wheat, Sunrise Flowers, Argnu Beef, etc will get complexed together.

The output of these complexes is then sold purely to NPC stations for a good profit.

My next level up - cahoona bakeries, Nostrop refineries, BoFu factories etc then buy their resources only from NPC suppliers at as close to minimum price as I can get.

That way I make the best profits on my own stations at every stage of production. AND it means no NPC stations that might be useful get poofed out of existence for stagnating.

At the moment because I don't have any complexes up and runing I'm using CLS to supply energy and resources between npc stations but they will get turned into CAGs as needed.

I will turn the script editor on in time because sooner or later stations will get damaged and station repair services are few and far between. Instead I like to create a repair ship from a Boron Hyrda ( yeah I found a use for a hydra! ) and I script a load of repair lasers onto it's nose.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 24. Apr 18, 20:58

MFG

Ketraar
Well, that's counter to what the devs have said in the past and I'd like to see proof of it before I believe it. I personally have never seen a difference.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Hemmingfish

Post by Hemmingfish » Tue, 24. Apr 18, 22:09

NewtSoup wrote:I will turn the script editor on in time because sooner or later stations will get damaged and station repair services are few and far between. Instead I like to create a repair ship from a Boron Hyrda ( yeah I found a use for a hydra! ) and I script a load of repair lasers onto it's nose.
Get the Marine Repairs mod and save yourself the tedium. It's one of the mods that I consider essential, and a lot more balanced than resorting to cheating.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Tue, 24. Apr 18, 22:17

Nanook wrote:Well, that's counter to what the devs have said in the past and I'd like to see proof of it before I believe it. I personally have never seen a difference.
Well I did link to Cycrows post did I not? He IS a dev. :-P

MFG

Ketraar

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”