EnglishGermanFrenchRussianItalianSpanish
Log inRegister
 
Release Style of the game.
Post new topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic
Author Message
Kane Hart



MEDAL

Joined: 04 Nov 2005
Posts: 385 on topic
Location: Manitouwadge, Ontario, Canada
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Wed, 28. Mar 18, 19:13    Post subject: Release Style of the game. Reply with quote Print

I think we had talked about this last year in the summer time. I wanted to bring it up again with out nercoing the old posts.



Has there been any hit or comments of the style of release X4 will have? I'm hoping Egosoft will adopt the early access system and I don't mean release the game sooner for our benefit to get our hands on it but for reputation of the company. Egosoft known for some the best games on the market and most of us are use to less Polished release of a game and then months and years of content and updates added. But it seems the time of this type of release is just not acceptable anymore besides the miss understanding of Rebirth vs past X games it seem that the bugs, issues, content, etc had a big play with reviews, etc.

So I guess this post is talking about the release style of the game and do you think Egosoft will adopt the EA system and do you think it's acceptable for them to adopt such a system?


It does seem that Egosoft is pulling out a few new cards for X4 in terms of how they are quite secretive in the past. For example I can vision future version being on a Steam Test Branch Build and rather having a long beta test besides internal and small group of testers that they decide to do a Early Access for it.

Anyways I thought be fun to have a conversation Smile

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT



Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Posts: 35812 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Wed, 28. Mar 18, 19:52    Post subject: Re: Release Style of the game. Reply with quote Print

Kane Hart wrote:
Has there been any hit or comments of the style of release X4 will have?

The FAQ thread at the top of the forum wrote:
Will there be Early Access?
This is not decided yet.


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BigBANGtheory





Joined: 23 Oct 2005
Posts: 2335 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Wed, 28. Mar 18, 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Fundamentally it is a commercial decision and I don't think ES will discuss it until they have made a final decision.

My gut feel is they won't do EA unless they feel they have to.

The Steam page also doesn't mention EA but of course is subject to change.

Should ES do an EA launch? well that is another matter entirely but I sense not the purpose of the the thread. What is really encouraging though is ES themselves appear in control and that I think is a good thing for everyone.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vandragorax





Joined: 13 Feb 2004
Posts: 812 on topic
Location: Argon Prime
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Thu, 29. Mar 18, 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

IMO "Early access" is becoming a bit of a joke tag, stuck onto games that get stuck in infinite development for years and years, and then when the developer finally "releases" it, half the stuff that people expected to be in it is missing still anyway Very Happy

I think the tag has been used too much by small devs who either don't have a long-term plan for what they are doing, or are too inexperienced to actually complete their project with any degree of quality. Early Access was actually first used as a kind of 'kickstarter' to back indie games but of course larger companies cottoned onto it "for profitttssss" Wink


Egosoft's track record suggests they will go for a "closed beta" approach, inviting some community members into a closed beta test a few months before the game's release, to help find and iron out the major critical issues (and as many minor ones as time allows). They will then work hard to release several patches in the first few months of release to continue chasing down issues until most things are sorted.

But that's just speculation until we know for sure Smile


_________________
Formerly known as "BlackDemon".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kane Hart



MEDAL

Joined: 04 Nov 2005
Posts: 385 on topic
Location: Manitouwadge, Ontario, Canada
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Thu, 29. Mar 18, 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Vandragorax wrote:
IMO "Early access" is becoming a bit of a joke tag, stuck onto games that get stuck in infinite development for years and years, and then when the developer finally "releases" it, half the stuff that people expected to be in it is missing still anyway Very Happy

I think the tag has been used too much by small devs who either don't have a long-term plan for what they are doing, or are too inexperienced to actually complete their project with any degree of quality. Early Access was actually first used as a kind of 'kickstarter' to back indie games but of course larger companies cottoned onto it "for profitttssss" Wink


Egosoft's track record suggests they will go for a "closed beta" approach, inviting some community members into a closed beta test a few months before the game's release, to help find and iron out the major critical issues (and as many minor ones as time allows). They will then work hard to release several patches in the first few months of release to continue chasing down issues until most things are sorted.

But that's just speculation until we know for sure Smile


Egosoft Track Record is releasing EA Games with out a EA Tag. This is a fact and something I don't mind. I guess my question is will this change in the future for X4 Smile

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ajime





Joined: 15 May 2017
Posts: 124 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Fri, 30. Mar 18, 04:36    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Kane Hart wrote:
Vandragorax wrote:
IMO "Early access" is becoming a bit of a joke tag, stuck onto games that get stuck in infinite development for years and years, and then when the developer finally "releases" it, half the stuff that people expected to be in it is missing still anyway Very Happy

I think the tag has been used too much by small devs who either don't have a long-term plan for what they are doing, or are too inexperienced to actually complete their project with any degree of quality. Early Access was actually first used as a kind of 'kickstarter' to back indie games but of course larger companies cottoned onto it "for profitttssss" Wink


Egosoft's track record suggests they will go for a "closed beta" approach, inviting some community members into a closed beta test a few months before the game's release, to help find and iron out the major critical issues (and as many minor ones as time allows). They will then work hard to release several patches in the first few months of release to continue chasing down issues until most things are sorted.

But that's just speculation until we know for sure Smile


Egosoft Track Record is releasing EA Games with out a EA Tag. This is a fact and something I don't mind. I guess my question is will this change in the future for X4 Smile
The recent stream mentioned they publish on their own this time around. This could be a subtle hint of difference in terms of timeline progression. Wink

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kane Hart



MEDAL

Joined: 04 Nov 2005
Posts: 385 on topic
Location: Manitouwadge, Ontario, Canada
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Fri, 30. Mar 18, 14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

ajime wrote:
The recent stream mentioned they publish on their own this time around. This could be a subtle hint of difference in terms of timeline progression. Wink


Oh that can change things a lot. Really puts things up in the air but good for them. I bet you self publishing will save them a lot these days.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
nightphreak





Joined: 29 Jan 2018



PostPosted: Sat, 31. Mar 18, 07:10    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Honestly i'd rather wait a bit longer than have another NMS fiasco. EA is nice on occasion but too many games have died that way. Though a projected release date would be nice as steam shows it should be releasing this year sometime.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kane Hart



MEDAL

Joined: 04 Nov 2005
Posts: 385 on topic
Location: Manitouwadge, Ontario, Canada
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Fri, 20. Apr 18, 18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

nightphreak wrote:
Honestly i'd rather wait a bit longer than have another NMS fiasco. EA is nice on occasion but too many games have died that way. Though a projected release date would be nice as steam shows it should be releasing this year sometime.


Not to sound insulting but this was quite a sad response without any kind of critical thinking involved.

NMS had massive core game features announced that did not exist at release
NMS had tons of missing features overall missing
NMS had even missing gameplay missing from release.
NMS was considered a Finished released game with updates in the future but not a EA game at all.
NMS devs would go many months without a whisper to at least tell people the development is going... Rather they hid and hid away making people assume it was dead...

It's pretty much impossible to be another NMS the only other game I remember being a NMS game was CubeWorld lol

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

Joined: 16 Apr 2004
Posts: 17679 on topic
Location: Stonehenge, UK
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Fri, 20. Apr 18, 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

@ Kane Hart: "Not to sound insulting ... " Actually you do. I'll close this thread (already-answered by a dev anyway) before an argument develops.

I don't think I see anything 'sad' about nightphreak describing their experience with NMS as a fiasco and then not wanting to experience anything similar with X4.

I do see that there are major differences between the games and their developers and that the EA experience of one game cannot really be expected to affect the EA experience of another, but nightfreak is quite entitled to express a personal opinion about their own experiences and hopes without being labelled as lacking 'critical thinking'!

Let's drop this line of personal comment now please. If you are unhappy with anything I have said then please PM me.


_________________
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
Control Panel
Login Data
The time now is Thu, 21. Jun 18, 17:44

All times are GMT + 2 Hours

[ Disclaimer / Impressum ] | [ Privacy Policy / Datenschutz ]

Board Security

Copyright © EGOSOFT 1989-2018
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Template created by Avatar & BurnIt!
Debug: page generation = 0.09231 seconds, sql queries = 24