"Three dead in Germany as van ploughs into crowd in Muenster"

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

fiksal
x4

"Three dead in Germany as van ploughs into crowd in Muenster"

Post by fiksal » Sat, 7. Apr 18, 19:35

well, damn
this just keeps on happening

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43683687

everyone here is alright?

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Sat, 7. Apr 18, 20:02

But this time it seems that it wasn't a foreign religious wacko but a local wacko.
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

Skism
x3tc

Post by Skism » Sat, 7. Apr 18, 20:14

Was it a Neo Nazi or a Muslim terrorist?

It will be one or the other methinks that would do this the scumbags.

This is yet another tragedy.
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest."

-Thomas Paine-

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sat, 7. Apr 18, 20:22

Skism wrote:Was it a Neo Nazi or a Muslim terrorist?

It will be one or the other methinks that would do this the scumbags.

This is yet another tragedy.
I suppose that's the trend / trendy thing.
Cpt.Jericho wrote:But this time it seems that it wasn't a foreign religious wacko but a local wacko.
Not sure if that's better, but I guess.

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Sat, 7. Apr 18, 20:34

fiksal wrote:
Cpt.Jericho wrote:But this time it seems that it wasn't a foreign religious wacko but a local wacko.
Not sure if that's better, but I guess.
Better insofar that the right wing can't say: "That's what you get when you open your borders to foreigners."

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 7. Apr 18, 21:15

It has also been a local wacko in the other cases, hasn't it? Certainly Khalid Masood, who mowed down pedestrians on Westminster Bridge last year, was born and bred in Britain.

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Sat, 7. Apr 18, 21:24

While that is true the name "Jens R.", as German media call him, however points into the direction than not only he was born and bred in Germany but also his father and grandfather.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Sat, 7. Apr 18, 22:59

Münster is my hometown. I grew up here and I am currently in the city (also was here during the time of the attack). I am safe and people I know also weren't injured. The police did an outstanding job keeping us informed. Currently my thoughts are with the victims and I wish them a fast recovery.

EDIT: Maybe a bit about the mood in the city. People are of course sad and shooked by the attack, but there is no big fear of further attacks, the situations as far as it can be is calm. For tomorrow there are different events planned. For example a mass for those who died.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Sun, 8. Apr 18, 13:58

Update:

I have been following this all very closely as you can imagne.

What we know so far:

- Two people died, six are critically injured

- The attacker suffered from mental health issues and was a German without migration background

- There was no bomb in the car, only fireworks

- The AK-47 found in his home was real but changed so it could not fire

What we don't know so far:

- The motive: there are theories but the police has not made a decisive statement so discussing them is rather meaningless

- The number of lightly injured people

- How he obtained the gun he used to shoot himself
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sun, 8. Apr 18, 20:29

Thanks for update, clakclak

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 8. Apr 18, 20:44

Is there any discussion on whether or not this incident is directly related to the attack that took place one year ago on the same date? [url=https://www.cnn.com/2017/04/28/world/sw ... index.html]1[url]

There was also a report that people were seen exiting the van after the crash. Was that confirmed?

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Sun, 8. Apr 18, 23:03

Morkonan wrote:Is there any discussion on whether or not this incident is directly related to the attack that took place one year ago on the same date? [url=https://www.cnn.com/2017/04/28/world/sw ... index.html]1[url]
Unlikely. The attack in Sweden was an islamist terrorist attack and according to police nothing connects this guy to Islam.

It is more likely he chose the day because it was the first warm and sunny day on a weekend this year, meaning a lot of people would sit infront of pubs and restaurants like the Kiepenkerl.

They found a manuscript. As of now everything is pointing towards a murder-suicide without political motive.
Morkonan wrote:There was also a report that people were seen exiting the van after the crash. Was that confirmed?
Confirmed to be a false report. Police say he acted alone.

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Tue, 10. Apr 18, 01:04

Well, as I said, a local wacko.

Return to “Off Topic English”