Starting playing again, it's amazing. - Start Suggestions? (Now mods discussion).

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

marcelteaching

Starting playing again, it's amazing. - Start Suggestions? (Now mods discussion).

Post by marcelteaching » Sun, 8. Apr 18, 00:47

I'm going to fire this up after a long time - I am looking forward to the journey after a break of many years.

I was wondering if you had some suggestions on starting a new game - what mods in particular add to the enjoyment of the game / are must have's?

I'm not a particularly skilled player, but I recall enjoying a stockmarket mod that was kind of fun.

Oh - I have TP and AC - which one is the one I should be starting my new game with?

Also - How is the community here? Great to see it's still active.
True agony is installing x3 mod manager into the X3 install directory, uninstalling it when you discover you don't need it, and then unthinkingly selecting 'yes' to some question it asks you about deleting unknown files it found in its installation directory and then watching a painful 8GB steam download...

DrSuperEvil
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by DrSuperEvil » Sun, 8. Apr 18, 01:17

I like vanilla AP. You can go Terran Commander or Aldrin Adventurer for a bigger PHQ or Unholy Traitor (tough first half hour) for a Medusa Prototype. AP has the stockmarket as a default.

Alot of the community also uses steam or discord nowdays for chatting.

RainerPrem
x4

Re: About to start playing this game again. It is amazing. - Starting Suggestions?

Post by RainerPrem » Sun, 8. Apr 18, 07:07

marcelteaching wrote:I'm going to fire this up after a long time - I am looking forward to the journey after a break of many years.

I was wondering if you had some suggestions on starting a new game - what mods in particular add to the enjoyment of the game / are must have's?

I'm not a particularly skilled player, but I recall enjoying a stockmarket mod that was kind of fun.

Oh - I have TP and AC - which one is the one I should be starting my new game with?

The both games are chronologically connected. If you play AP first, you'll miss some of the exciting discoveries in TC. OTOH AP has the better user. OTOOH TC leads you through more tutorial missions.

You see it's not easy to decide. You might play TC for a couple of hundred hours to learn the ropes and then switch to AP.

cu
Rainer

Timsup2nothin

Re: About to start playing this game again. It is amazing. - Starting Suggestions?

Post by Timsup2nothin » Sun, 8. Apr 18, 09:08

RainerPrem wrote:You might play TC for a couple of hundred hours to learn the ropes and then switch to AP.

cu
Rainer
Or several years. That's a popular option.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

marcelteaching

Post by marcelteaching » Sun, 8. Apr 18, 09:12

I was going to do the "install plots from TC into AP" option?

https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=324236

Any quality of life mods that are great for AP?
True agony is installing x3 mod manager into the X3 install directory, uninstalling it when you discover you don't need it, and then unthinkingly selecting 'yes' to some question it asks you about deleting unknown files it found in its installation directory and then watching a painful 8GB steam download...

SirNukes
x4

Post by SirNukes » Sun, 8. Apr 18, 10:44

marcelteaching wrote:I was going to do the "install plots from TC into AP" option?
That's a handy way to marge games, though as a heads up there are some bugs. Mythrantar patched some of them; you can find a link to his patch late in that thread.

For QoL, different people have different tastes. My own short list would include:
1) Egosoft bonus pack, mainly for trade ship automation

2) Ship browser, which is more convenient than a wiki or the in game encyclopedia for comparing ship specs, and works well with other mods (maybe getting a little slow to load when adding a lot of new ships).

3) Some sort of gate ring modification that moves or removes the protruding pylons. The way they are set up in game, if you enter a system with a large capital ship waiting for permission to pass through a gate, it will be placed such that it crashes into a horizontal pylon and dies. A jumbo-size gate mod or ringless gate mod would work around this, though I prefer my own fixes available in my Customizer python tool (in sig) which keep the same size ring and only mess with the pylons.

4) Complex Cleaner for later in the game when you are placing a lot of factories. There is a bug in there with the vanilla game version, which HongoBLAST posted a fix for late in that thread.

5) Marine Repairs, mostly because it is just cool to have a use for staffing marines on a bunch of ships.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Sun, 8. Apr 18, 13:19

you can also adjust the starting scenario a bit...see the links below...hope they still work

hmmm my Xdownloads link seems dead.

anyone with a new link for that ?

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Sun, 8. Apr 18, 13:49

Start with Terrans, better campaign and better HQ at the end of it.
Where is it?

marcelteaching

Post by marcelteaching » Sun, 8. Apr 18, 22:13

Hmm,

Really appreciate you pointing out later bug fixes. Thank you.

I'm applying the patch from Mythrantar (https://tinyurl.com/y7baesyo) which was in his signature. Thanks for pointing that out - it would have been really disappointing to have the plot broken somewhere.

I'm slowly working through all the suggestions. [/b]

wathman00
x4

Post by wathman00 » Sun, 8. Apr 18, 22:37

I just came back to the game after about 5 years and it is still plenty fun. I recommend doing Tormented Teladi start to unlock Poisoned Paranid and then getting 25 mil in under 3 days to get an overtuned Hyperion. There is also an advanced Perseus included in the reward. The one I ended up with after a dozen reloads got up to 245 m/sec. I saw that the theoretical max is 250 but you could spend days re rolling the reward and not get it.

Just keep in mind that these start scenarios are not friendly for brand new players but are very doable if you are familiar with the game. The stock exchange in AP makes these starts pretty easy to do if you can survive the first hour.

DrSuperEvil
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by DrSuperEvil » Mon, 9. Apr 18, 01:04

Within the first 8 hours your income from manipulating the stock market can be enough to complete the tormented teladi mission every 30 seconds.

Salvage Banshee Missiles and Remote Guided Warheads in the warzone before upgrading to a Discoverer and keep salvaging missiles until 500k before beginning manipulation of EBCs in Grand Exchange.

Hemmingfish

Post by Hemmingfish » Mon, 9. Apr 18, 03:14

SirNukes wrote:3) Some sort of gate ring modification that moves or removes the protruding pylons. The way they are set up in game, if you enter a system with a large capital ship waiting for permission to pass through a gate, it will be placed such that it crashes into a horizontal pylon and dies. A jumbo-size gate mod or ringless gate mod would work around this, though I prefer my own fixes available in my Customizer python tool (in sig) which keep the same size ring and only mess with the pylons
I like Xchange Guild Portals, same portals as vanilla but slightly more than twice as big. It's really hard to go back because it also means you don't have to thread needles when piloting capital ships, and greatly removes the risk of getting destroyed by NPC capital ships warping through your face.

Another essential QoL mod is Bounce, which makes AI ships a lot less suicidal in combat.

Edit: fixed up some broken tags
Last edited by Hemmingfish on Mon, 9. Apr 18, 09:14, edited 1 time in total.

Sinxar
x4

Post by Sinxar » Mon, 9. Apr 18, 07:12

marcelteaching wrote:I'm going to fire this up after a long time - I am looking forward to the journey after a break of many years.

Personally I always play vanilla TC or AP. I love TC to death but the QoL changes in AP makes me play that more often than not. For mods well, *shameless plug* X3:TC/X3:AP Vanilla Visual Enhancement With Complex Capital Docking No modified tag btw. :)

As for the community, us vets are still here with a slow trickle of newbies.

marcelteaching

Post by marcelteaching » Tue, 10. Apr 18, 02:51

Thanks for that suggestion!

I'd love it if someone could reupload the mod here : https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=300329 (XChange Guild Portals 1.0a) reason being that there are only dead links. :(

Hemmingfish

Post by Hemmingfish » Wed, 11. Apr 18, 06:47

Oh yeah, I forgot to check that the links actually worked - I clicked through the first link but not the actual downloads and assumed it would work.

I've mirrored the rar version on my dropbox. Just download, extract and place the resulting "objects" folder into your base X3 Terran Conflict directory.

marcelteaching

Post by marcelteaching » Fri, 13. Apr 18, 07:03

Thanks for the mirror!

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”