Steam/GOG etc - Free Stuff (or very, very cheap)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Skism

Post by Skism » Sat, 7. Apr 18, 00:41

aHHHH I already have it...Oh well
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest."

-Thomas Paine-

pjknibbs

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 7. Apr 18, 07:16

Morkonan wrote: I grabbed it. I am unsure I'll be able to really play it well, since all that stuff about "royalty" and the like doesn't come naturally to me, as a 'Murican, unused to knee-bending behaviors... :D
But you'll be OK with murdering distant (and not so distant) relatives in order to advance your own position, right? :D

Tamina

Post by Tamina » Sat, 7. Apr 18, 10:27

It should be mentioned it is a Paradox game. >.<

Code: Select all

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 
This is Tamina. Copy Tamina to your signature to help her achieve world domination.

Morkonan

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 7. Apr 18, 13:34

pjknibbs wrote:
Morkonan wrote: I grabbed it. I am unsure I'll be able to really play it well, since all that stuff about "royalty" and the like doesn't come naturally to me, as a 'Murican, unused to knee-bending behaviors... :D
But you'll be OK with murdering distant (and not so distant) relatives in order to advance your own position, right? :D
Maybe... I'm not really too fond of "evil." I'll have to see if I can rationalize murder some other way.

"Preemptive politics."
"We shall send Uncle Harry to Heaven early because I'm fond of him."
"This baby is probably a bodysnatching heretic-alien demon and should be exterminated for The Greater Good."
"Grandma has the rickets and the diabeetus so should be put down..."

Or, maybe..

"It's Dungeon and Dragons day, without the dragons... or the keys."

There's probably not much room in CKII for a "Benevolent King Seeking to Build a Shining City on a Hill" is there? :)

I'm also a bit hung up on the whole "You will marry your First-Cousin, who is thirty-years older than you, and you will like it or I'll send you to a nunnery" sort of thing. But, the Kingdom has its needs...

Skism

Post by Skism » Sat, 7. Apr 18, 15:17

Tamina wrote:It should be mentioned it is a Paradox game. >.<
Do you not like Paradox then? The only real issue with them imo is their dlc - I calculated how much it would cost me for EU4 - £215!! or £250 for the whole lot - no discounts or bundles.

Stellaris is alot cheaper if you wanted that instead - bit more my price range!
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest."

-Thomas Paine-

Chips

Post by Chips » Sat, 7. Apr 18, 16:00

If you aren't that bothered about being up to date with the latest, then wait until the Summer Sale, or Xmas Sale, when you can usually get their entire catalogue cheap. Many of those bundles tend to include *some* of the expansions for each title, but never the most recent 1-2.

Should point out - DLC are cheap cosmetics (wrt Paradox), expansions are bigger game updates / releases. They've done about 9 for EU4? Which is probably £140 of the total! But (from memory) you may not need all expansions, you can pick and choose which. They're fairly clear about the requirements (just base game, or previous expansion x).

felter

Post by felter » Sat, 7. Apr 18, 17:12

Chips wrote: EU4?
I think he meant EU€ as to get the € you use the right alt key while pressing 4, he just missed pressing the right alt and got the plain 4 instead.
I'm not saying he is a Russian asset, I'm saying he sat on his asset when he was supposed to be confronting Putin.
#AlertTheDaycareStaff #denturedonald

Tamina

Post by Tamina » Sat, 7. Apr 18, 17:42

Skism wrote:
Tamina wrote:It should be mentioned it is a Paradox game. >.<
Do you not like Paradox then? The only real issue with them imo is their dlc - I calculated how much it would cost me for EU4 - £215!! or £250 for the whole lot - no discounts or bundles.

Stellaris is alot cheaper if you wanted that instead - bit more my price range!
Paradox = Expensive Spreadsheet Calculator.

It is for free, so there is not much to blame but the name "Crusader Kings" got me excited. ^^

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 
This is Tamina. Copy Tamina to your signature to help her achieve world domination.

Chips

Post by Chips » Sat, 7. Apr 18, 18:33

felter wrote:
Chips wrote: EU4?
I think he meant EU€ as to get the € you use the right alt key while pressing 4, he just missed pressing the right alt and got the plain 4 instead.
EU is Europa Universalis :P It's a Game made by Paradox Interactive. 4 was the 4th in the series.

As for their games being spreadsheets - maybe. As is CIV series, Total War series (without the battlefield play bit) etc. If it's enjoyable, doesn't matter :P I play a variety of games, so get my twitch based (as in reactions) from things like Guild wars 2, non tile based strategy from World of Warships and Mount and Blade - but I do own a fair number of spreadsheet games (Football Manager, for example) :D

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 7. Apr 18, 18:50

Er chaps, that's a nice discussion but this thread is intended for timely notifications of free/cheap games. Only saying ...
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Tamina

Post by Tamina » Sat, 7. Apr 18, 23:19

Alan Phipps wrote:Er chaps, that's a nice discussion but this thread is intended for timely notifications of free/cheap games. Only saying ...
To be fair, this conversation was merged by a moderator into this topic :P *cough*

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

OmegaKnight

Post by OmegaKnight » Tue, 10. Apr 18, 04:51

CK2 is a great game. For Free you should have picked it up
Morkonan wrote:Maybe... I'm not really too fond of "evil." I'll have to see if I can rationalize murder some other way.
Your not going to do too well in CK2 with that attitude.

CK2 works like this:
Marriage is basically a Eugenics program so you get better kids (Strong, Genius);
Wife not giving you heirs then Cheat or Murder her and remarry;
Or if your Sister has good stats, incest;
Sons (you always need a backup) get the training to make them good leaders;
Useless son, send off to be educated in a foreign court, that just happens to be experiencing plague;
Daughters get sent off to that scheming uncle that hates you so the grow up Ambitious, Deceitful, Envious, Greedy, Craven and/or Cruel.
Then marry her off to a neighbour so she destabilises his kingdom, which you then invade;
Chain murder children to inherit claims. It doesn't matter how many heirs he makes, you'll kill them all.

TL:DR CK2 and morality, forget it, they don't mix :D

burger1

Post by burger1 » Tue, 17. Apr 18, 19:27

Peggle is Origins new free on the house game.

OmegaKnight

Post by OmegaKnight » Fri, 20. Apr 18, 03:02

Satellite Reign is Free for a day or so on the Humble Bundle Store

OmegaKnight

Post by OmegaKnight » Sat, 21. Apr 18, 01:28

You can get The Witcher: Enhanced Edition for free on GOG.

If you have a GOG account, and have Gwent in your library (a free game on GOG),
you can subscribe to a newsletter and get:
A card pack for Gwent and The Witcher: Enhanced Edition for free.

Return to “Off Topic English”