Man am I happy to see this!

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

leecarter
x3tc

Man am I happy to see this!

Post by leecarter » Sat, 10. Mar 18, 04:13

Old timer here hopelessly addicted to X3 so many years ago. I check by once in a blue moon to see if there will ever be an X4, hoping against hope it seemed. And yes, I tried Rebirth - nuff said about that.

I'll do some lurking now and catch up on what X4 is going to bring, but I'm excited to see X4 finally happening!

Godspeed Egosoft!

Harag
x4

Post by Harag » Sat, 10. Mar 18, 11:20

Agree, can't wait for X4, looking forward to it - I've played them all from the initial one and even X-R (which I actually liked) In X3 I missed the station landing though from X2. :(

Here's to X4!

Karvat
x4

Post by Karvat » Sat, 10. Mar 18, 12:05

Right, finally, it was a long wait until his announcement, I can't wait

Browser_ice
x4

Post by Browser_ice » Sat, 10. Mar 18, 16:58

I always wished for a space game where I could do everything and everything with the choice of being any race on good or bad side while fully contributing to the race I belong to. Some game where I would virtually have a full life in it and do evertying in it as I would do in life.

I have not found such a game, only games that offer a glimps of it.
Steam X-Superbox, XR, playing X4
WIndows-10
Intel I7-3770
16Gb Memory
Nvgidia GTX-1060

Malakie
x4

Post by Malakie » Fri, 16. Mar 18, 22:11

Browser_ice wrote:I always wished for a space game where I could do everything and everything with the choice of being any race on good or bad side while fully contributing to the race I belong to. Some game where I would virtually have a full life in it and do evertying in it as I would do in life.

The X series games is definitely what you want then for single player. I have followed Egosoft from the very first days way back when and the first title, X-Beyond.

I have replayed each game fully more than once too.. Right now I have an active universe that has been and is still running that is around 5 1/2 years old. I.E. same universe, still running and playing. I even added a lot of mods to it including over 400 additional ships.

X series will always be at the top of my must have, will always play games list. Space and exploration are something I enjoy and am able to lose myself after a hard day in real life.

I am looking forward to X4 to continue the saga. While I only know as much as everyone else does about X4, my hope is that the design allows me to start a new long running universe.. one that can live and grow just as my X3 Terran Conflict 5+ year running universe is doing.
Take it light.....

Malakie

----------------------------------------------------

Karvat
x4

Post by Karvat » Fri, 16. Mar 18, 22:20

There should be tons of companies working on incredible projects like this, instead of doing the usual limitative games that are everywhere, egosoft is the best, always said

Malakie
x4

Post by Malakie » Fri, 16. Mar 18, 23:38

Karvat wrote:There should be tons of companies working on incredible projects like this, instead of doing the usual limitative games that are everywhere, egosoft is the best, always said
Agree.. the good news is Egosoft and one other company, though, ARE bringing us true space simulations, the kind people like us want to see.
Take it light.....

Malakie

Rei Ayanami
x4

Post by Rei Ayanami » Sun, 18. Mar 18, 12:54

Browser_ice wrote:I always wished for a space game where I could do everything and everything with the choice of being any race on good or bad side while fully contributing to the race I belong to. Some game where I would virtually have a full life in it and do evertying in it as I would do in life.

Because such a game where you can do everything is virtually impossible to make. That'd require coding and modeling a full simulator for every imaginable job that you can have, every single possible spot in the universe you could be, every single action you could do. It would require coding highly advanced artificial intelligence and life simulators so you can date someone ingame, marry them, have children, have them have a full simulated life. What if you want to become a chemist ingame? Now you have to simulate that, including the simulation of atomic particles of every object in the game. What if you want to play a video game in the video game? Now you have, since you want to do everything, to code every video game imaginable as a sub game, including the very game you're playing as a sub game. You get the idea how impossible that is.

Games by necessity (computational power, disk space, development time) have to me limited.

Karvat
x4

Post by Karvat » Sun, 18. Mar 18, 13:13

There are companies that produce video games where the only thing you can do is aim and shoot, and they are full of resources to do better, then there is the egosoft that with 20 developers offers incredible potentials compared to the other

Malakie
x4

Post by Malakie » Sun, 18. Mar 18, 22:29

Rei Ayanami wrote:

Because such a game where you can do everything is virtually impossible to make. That'd require coding and modeling a full simulator for every imaginable job that you can have, every single possible spot in the universe you could be, every single action you could do. It would require coding highly advanced artificial intelligence and life simulators so you can date someone ingame, marry them, have children, have them have a full simulated life. What if you want to become a chemist ingame? Now you have to simulate that, including the simulation of atomic particles of every object in the game. What if you want to play a video game in the video game? Now you have, since you want to do everything, to code every video game imaginable as a sub game, including the very game you're playing as a sub game. You get the idea how impossible that is.

Games by necessity (computational power, disk space, development time) have to me limited.
I am an avid Egosoft and X series follower from the very first version way back... And will remain so as long as the X series lives...

That being said however, there IS another game that compliments the X series and delivers pretty much everything you could ever imagine.. the only issue is it is multiplayer online.

If you are like me, you prefer single player games.. which is why the X series is so important for those like me. However, this other title turns out to be something I never thought I would ever see in my lifetime.. Multiply any of the X series games by 100 in terms of capability and you would be talking about this other game I am referring to.. Star Citizen.

Again, don't get me wrong. Both the X series and Star Citizen are two completely different games. Where Egosoft is able to drill down and give us the smaller details and where they are able to put their own personal touches on the X series, they just do not have the resources to create a game as huge, as detailed and at the fidelity that Star Citizen is doing.

For example, trying to add in full on procedural planets dynamically created (with FULL multiple biomes), full on dynamic real life economic based life engine, full on independent physicalized grid locations (i.e. You can fly, walk in, walk around, your ships, EVA in space, on moons and planets, in your own planetary star bases you build yourself, and pretty much anything else you can think of, including actual multi-crew independent action), would be near impossible for ANY company to do for a single player game.. let alone a company doing it for an online living breathing universe.

To accomplish what they are doing to Star Citizen takes 4 office world wide, over 400 coders, artists, musicians, animators and more, has raised about $180 MILLION in crowd sourced funding and is in its 5th year of development w/ one open sector containing over 80 ship variants you can own and fly, 4 moons you can land on and do whatever, multiple star bases and planetary bases and much more. Star Citizen still has more development to go as it is a huge ambitious project...

BUT when you take a look at the X series next to Star Citizen, you cannot help but be totally impressed with Egosoft. There is no way you cannot be.. What Egosoft has done with the X series is so far above anyone else in the single player realm when it comes to space simulation, there is no way anyone could ever catch up.

I personally cannot wait for x4 myself. And I will play it right along side and at the same time as Star Citizen.. I do that now in fact with X3 Terran Conflict and Albion Prelude. And for those times I am offline and do not have access to Star Citizen, X3 allows me to keep playing myself without any problems.. which is a huge plus.

Egosoft has created the Premiere Space Simulation for single players and offline fun, bar none... Star Citizen has taken over the multiplayer side as well as created something a small firm just could not possibly do unless it too had the resources I mentioned above that Star Citizen has.

I personally don't play that many computer games.... And once X4 comes out and once Star Citizen is in full release, I probably will not play another game outside of those two.

Anyhow, there IS another company creating a space simulation game that is on par with the X series of games by Egosoft.. I kinda wish the two companies would do a cross promotion event! Buy X4, get a starter package for Star Citizen.. Buy a Starter Package for Star Citizen, get X4.. the two games compliment each other filling gaps that by themselves they cannot fill... AND THAT is the most exciting part of this for me.
Take it light.....

Malakie

Ironbuket
x4

Post by Ironbuket » Fri, 23. Mar 18, 12:11

Malakie wrote:
Rei Ayanami wrote:

Because such a game where you can do everything is virtually impossible to make.
That being said however, there IS another game that compliments the X series and delivers pretty much everything you could ever imagine..
I dont wish to start a SC bashing argument, but I agree with Ayanami.

Malakie is right to mention SC's existence, but it is trying to do something impossible and the project has long been out of control. SC's development team is half the size of the one for GTA5 with a comparable budget, which doesnt help it towards being completed

The reason Elite, X4 and maybe even X5 will be released before SC is because they set a firm scope and work within that, where as SC's scope is constantly expanding. Ironically, if SC fans stopped throwing money at it and it had a smaller budget it might get finished sooner

Malakie
x4

Post by Malakie » Fri, 23. Mar 18, 17:09

Ironbuket wrote:
Malakie wrote:
Rei Ayanami wrote:

Because such a game where you can do everything is virtually impossible to make.
That being said however, there IS another game that compliments the X series and delivers pretty much everything you could ever imagine..
I dont wish to start a SC bashing argument, but I agree with Ayanami.

Malakie is right to mention SC's existence, but it is trying to do something impossible and the project has long been out of control. SC's development team is half the size of the one for GTA5 with a comparable budget, which doesnt help it towards being completed

The reason Elite, X4 and maybe even X5 will be released before SC is because they set a firm scope and work within that, where as SC's scope is constantly expanding. Ironically, if SC fans stopped throwing money at it and it had a smaller budget it might get finished sooner

You don't wish to start SC bashing but you do so anyway? Really?

"but it is trying to do something impossible and the project has long been out of control"

Apparently when it comes to Star Citizen, you have no idea what you are talking about so why not just refrain then from even commenting?

I mentioned SC in context to the thread and as an answer to a comment, not to open a debate about it. If you don't have any facts, don't make statements not true.

Anyhow, let's move on and get back to the subject of X4 overall. Not going to debate the subject with anyone that apparently is biased for some unknown reason.
Take it light.....

Malakie

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Fri, 23. Mar 18, 21:17

Same here, just pop on now and again, so happy that X4 is in the pipe line. Not going to say anything about rebirth as I haven't got anything good to say about it. But here's hoping X4 is going to be more like TC with better graphics.

GT182
x4

Post by GT182 » Sat, 7. Apr 18, 03:38

I haven't been one here in a long while either. I too loved X3-TC You could even use the plug-in and mods to make it even better. And best of all you didn't have to use Steam.

I've only played X Rebirth on occasion. Yeah it's ok, but not as ok as TC was. DO Not release X-4 until it's actually finished. That has been Egosoft's biggest mistake in the past. Please don't make the same mistakes again.

DavidGW
x4

Post by DavidGW » Sat, 7. Apr 18, 06:03

GT182 wrote:I haven't been one here in a long while either. I too loved X3-TC You could even use the plug-in and mods to make it even better. And best of all you didn't have to use Steam.

I've only played X Rebirth on occasion. Yeah it's ok, but not as ok as TC was. DO Not release X-4 until it's actually finished. That has been Egosoft's biggest mistake in the past. Please don't make the same mistakes again.
Apparently they are planning to publish X4 themselves, so hopefully they won't be under massive pressure to release before it's ready, bugs and all.

nemesis1982
x4

Post by nemesis1982 » Sat, 7. Apr 18, 20:15

Malakie wrote:
You don't wish to start SC bashing but you do so anyway? Really?

"but it is trying to do something impossible and the project has long been out of control"
Calm down mate. I've backed SC and have to say that I think Ironbucket's assessment is spot on.

SC does not have focus and they're trying to do to many things at once. In my opinion they're also wasting tons of precious funds/resources on all the side content they're producing. That all takes effort and thus cash.

Don't get me wrong I hope SC will be successful. I do think that if they keep going this way it'll end badly.

I see a few scenarios:
- Funds will dry up, eventually people will stop putting paying ridiculous amounts of money for virtual items
- They'll realize what we wanted to do is not possible yet. Probably somewhere after the third game engine switch occurs
- They decide, enough is enough. We'll focus on getting 2 star systems out and the game systems they have at the time (which can never come close to what people expect) and it'll be released by 2020 with half the features, half the ships and 10% of the real estate they promised

Now I hope it's last option for one.
Save game editor XR and CAT/DAT Extractor
Keep in mind that it's still a work in progress although it's taking shape nicely.

If anyone is interested in a new save game editor for X4 and would like to contribute to the creation of one let me know. I do not have sufficient time to create it alone, but if there are enough people who want it and want to contribute we might be able to set something up.

Fleabum
x4

Post by Fleabum » Sat, 7. Apr 18, 21:28

I am a pre-alpha backer for SC and I am disappointed with what has been achieved thus far. I am even more disappointed that they are milking the customer base for what in essence is a technology demo with new purchasable ships, lasers, paint, and whatever carp they can come up with.

I was also a pre-alpha backer for Elite, but at least that's a fully playable game and they are now adding updates and additions to the released game. SC should take a leaf out of Elites book.

Thumbs up to Egosoft they don't charge us €1.99 to unlock each ship, laser or paint job. :)

Regards
Flea

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Sat, 7. Apr 18, 21:37

money-raising schemes aside, its worth noting that star citizen was supposed to come out a year after Rebirth, and at this rate X4 will be out first...
Irrational factors are clearly at work.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sun, 8. Apr 18, 01:10

DavidGW wrote:
GT182 wrote:I haven't been one here in a long while either. I too loved X3-TC You could even use the plug-in and mods to make it even better. And best of all you didn't have to use Steam.

Apparently they are planning to publish X4 themselves, so hopefully they won't be under massive pressure to release before it's ready, bugs and all.
They will have the pressure of making the payroll for their employees, publisher or not.

DavidGW
x4

Post by DavidGW » Sun, 8. Apr 18, 03:32

Falcrack wrote:They will have the pressure of making the payroll for their employees, publisher or not.
Maybe, we don't know how ES's fund reserves are going. Nor do we know how close they are to being ready to release. If their funds are bigger than the approximate time to release, then there is no issue. If not, then they can consider alternatives, like even just putting it up for pre-order, with a semi-nebulous release date.

And then there's a bunch more dodgy but surprisingly common ways of getting cash, that I hope they don't have to resort to. eg, pre-order micro-transactions of unique ships, like in SC. Either way, they should be able to keep going on their own for quite a while if they need to, much easier than if they had a publisher. There will come a time where they have to burn through community sentiment to do that, but hey, they survived XR's release...

Return to “X4: Foundations”