Random News not worthy of own thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Tracker001
x3tc

Post by Tracker001 » Thu, 8. Mar 18, 23:57

Cern Project Puma
...Antimatter vanishes instantly when it meets matter. But researchers have developed ways to trap it and increase its lifespan in order to use it to study matter. A new project called PUMA (antiProton Unstable Matter Annihilation) aims to trap a record one billion antiprotons at CERN’s GBAR experiment at the ELENA facility and keep them for several weeks.
..Such a long storage time would allow the trapped antiprotons to be loaded into a van and transported to the neighbouring ISOLDE ion-beam facility located a few hundred metres away. At ISOLDE, the antiprotons would then be collided with radioactive ions so that exotic nuclear phenomena could be studied.

https://home.cern/about/updates/2018/03 ... nsportable
If the area where the LHC is located suddenly goes poof ,we'll know why . :D

PS: I wonder if computer operating systems have an auto reset for time dialation like they have for Day-Light savings ? :)
Book TV
https://www.coursera.org/#
I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.
David Herbert Lawrence

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sat, 10. Mar 18, 06:23

Hey, with all the negitivity in the world why would anyone want anti-protons? Makes me wonder if they'll set there in their magnetic bottle holding up little picket signs; Annihilate Protons Now! :D
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Sun, 11. Mar 18, 03:55

You don't like Aunty's Proton?

Well maybe it does have too many miles on the clock. She drives everywhere in that thing :P

Interesting article. A billion of them is both a very big number and a very small number at the same time. It's big in the sense that those things are notoriously hard to collect, but it's small when you consider how many atoms you would expect to find in a bad of sugar.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sun, 11. Mar 18, 04:01

Ouch! :rofl: Okay...thanks I needed that. No I'd say your dear Aunty's Proton is safe from annihilation for the moment...(usually measured in picoseconds).
MIND THE GAP

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 12. Mar 18, 20:54

brucewarren wrote:You don't like Aunty's Proton?

Image...
Whoever decided "baby-puke" green should be a "color".... Well, they should be fired.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Mon, 12. Mar 18, 23:19

Actually it's better than that floresant green Volkswagon came up with in the early 2000's. That would make a baby puke. Almost as bad as that "institutional green" the US government uses. Might as well roll out a car with nothing but zinc chromate primer. There's only one green that looked good on wheels, that's Jaguar Green.

A waste of protons on Proton? Aunty's probably color blind.
MIND THE GAP

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Mon, 12. Mar 18, 23:57

Sadly "Aunty" and her Proton only existed for the purposes of that awful pun.

While I grant you that Jaguars look good in green they I would argue that 60163 "Tornado" wears dark green rather better.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Tue, 13. Mar 18, 00:07

No, I'll admit that some wear green well. Where the fad of those light green shades came from isn't worth the effort to phathom. I hope this "Trump phenommenon" is as short lived as the phenom of rolling caution signs. Hopefully as shortlived as the duration of your average anti-proton. :lol:
MIND THE GAP

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 13. Mar 18, 20:49

Hank001 wrote:...A waste of protons on Proton? Aunty's probably color blind.
A friend of mine is color-blind. Not terribly so. (Can't remember the specific version.)

But, he had the most awful colored car at one time, when he was in college. He was very proud of it. We all vowed to not tell him it was baby-$%@ green... We complimented him on his car and held our tongues about its color. Pretty amazing behavior for young college students, when one thinks about it.

Ah, government green...

"What color are we going to paint these cinder blocks!"

"Cinder blocks? Why not just put up some real walls or something, maybe-"

"I know, we've got half-a-can of OD green, a pint of yellow and five gallons left of white! Problem solved and under budget!"

"But..."

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Tue, 13. Mar 18, 21:01

:rofl: Oh yes! You nailed it! Only one color in nature matches that Govt Green. That's the mold that grew on those Govt urinal disinfectant cakes. We called that color "P..s Cookey Green". Don't ask me what breed of fungi seemed to thrive on those napthaline hockey pucks, but we wondered if the Govt wasn't growing and harvesting it to make that God Awful color green paint!
MIND THE GAP

Rug
x4

Post by Rug » Wed, 14. Mar 18, 12:04

Morkonan wrote:A friend of mine is color-blind.
I like this webpage... http://www.colourblindawareness.org/col ... rience-it/

For me, images 1 and 2 are the same, 3 very very slightly different, and 4 completely different. I'm told there is as big a difference between 1 and 2 as there is between 3 and 4. Wow! Doesn't that hurt your eyes or something ? :D

Rug
No fate, but the narratives we impose on life's random chaos to distract ourselves from our existential plight.

(XKCD)

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 14. Mar 18, 13:49

Cool!

There's like 15 different types of "color blindness" or something like that, right? I'll have to ask my friend which one his is, but I'm not sure he remembers. (I think I asked him once when planning on getting him a pair of EnChroma glasses for a Christmas present. But, I was really unsure if that was a good idea or not, considering how personal that experience might be for him. It would have been something I should ask him about before doing it.)

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Wed, 14. Mar 18, 17:54

Then there is the other side of that spectrum. Those who are able more colors than normal. However it results from a familial tie to the color blindness gene which has been linked to familial macular degeneration. Something akin to the occular version of the saying "a candle that burns twice as bright burns twice as fast." The test was using the same charts with the dots that checks for color blindness. However on these charts the difference in dots to produce the number hidden within were very close shades of the same color. Strange as it sounds, most who score high on this type of color differentiation tests are myopic. Like myself and how I became an lay expert on the phenomemon. Which comes down to the unfortunate phrase in this case of "know thyself."
MIND THE GAP

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Thu, 15. Mar 18, 18:19

It looks like we can add more weird stuff to the list of things that happen to living organisms in space.

https://www.livescience.com/62000-scott ... study.html

Quote from a different even more spamy website

Scott's telomeres — or the ends of chromosomes that shorten as people get older — got a lot longer in space. This finding was known in 2017, but investigators confirmed it and also discovered that most of the telomeres got shorter again within two days of Scott's landing.

About 7 percent of Scott's genes may have longer-term changes in expression after spaceflight, in areas such as DNA repair, the immune system, how bones are formed, hypoxia (an oxygen deficiency in the tissues) and hypercapnia (excessive carbon dioxide in the bloodstream). The other 93 percent of his genes quickly returned to normal.

Scott had no significant cognitive performance decline in space after one year, compared with Mark or with typical astronauts who fly a six-month mission. Investigators did, however, see pronounced decreases in Scott's cognitive speed and accuracy after he landed. This might have happened because of "re-exposure and adjustment to Earth’s gravity, and the busy schedule that enveloped Scott after his mission," NASA officials said.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 21. Mar 18, 05:32

If anyone is in any doubts that the Russian election was rigged, I shook my head and giggled at this all at the same time. Especially the balloons. Why bother going through it, they should just do what China did and make him president for life.
I'm not saying he is a Russian asset, I'm saying he sat on his asset when he was supposed to be confronting Putin.
#AlertTheDaycareStaff #denturedonald

Return to “Off Topic English”