Random News not worthy of own thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Mon, 26. Feb 18, 16:10

In the states West Virginia teachers are on strike also. They have a union. Didn't do any good. From sad experience some unions are only in existance to collect dues, put an entry on you're CV and collective bargaining is needed, cave at first opportunity. Hang in there sir. Teachers everywhere are overworked and underpaid.
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 26. Feb 18, 16:15

Bishop149 wrote:...Don't get me wrong, I'm still thinking about it. . . . . Unions are important things but the price tag is more that a little off-putting and might be why the Union is generally not well supported. In my lab of 40-50 people there are a total of 2 members. . . . . only one of whom is striking.
Would being a member of the Union give you the opportunity to take advantage of some collective bargaining deal for your pension that you wouldn't otherwise have access to? I agree that the cost seems prohibitive, especially long-term.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Mon, 26. Feb 18, 16:55

I've been to colleges that striked. The next year attendance dropped very low and a lot of the teachers got laid off. No one really benefited from it.

I also belonged to a couple unions over the years and 30 pounds (~53.12 cad dollars) is cheap.

Tracker001
x3tc

Post by Tracker001 » Mon, 26. Feb 18, 17:06

Morkonan wrote:
Watched some of it, but he rambles around more than I do... :)

He's a bit self-important. "Static" isn't quality discourse. If a "fringe"
Oh ya he came across that way to me also , but many people come across that way also but not so much as to be smug imop. Including you Mork (No dispariging Intended just my opinion) but I still read your postings because most are an interesting angle on subject "X" . Though sometimes long winded :P

You only watch a portain ? That's to bad you only got part of the information .
He does make the point about the so called "Main Stream Media" push back towards the On line independent news sources , as On-line is acctualy cutting into the Mains position of being the only source of information and causeing the every day Tom Dick and Mary to look at more outlets and directly Question in thier face the Big Guys .

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Mon, 26. Feb 18, 17:12

RegisterMe wrote:RIP Emma Chambers ./sob :(
- lovely person, great actress..
- she'll be missed by millions..
- so sad.. :(
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 26. Feb 18, 18:17

Tracker001 wrote:
Morkonan wrote:
Watched some of it, but he rambles around more than I do... :)

He's a bit self-important. "Static" isn't quality discourse. If a "fringe"
Oh ya he came across that way to me also , but many people come across that way also but not so much as to be smug imop. Including you Mork (No dispariging Intended just my opinion) but I still read your postings because most are an interesting angle on subject "X" . Though sometimes long winded :P
LOL! Of course I do! It's just my style of writing, which is generally forceful and argumentative. No "argumentative" in trying to provoke an "argument," but in that it seeks to present a point and to aggressively support it. Why? If something knocks down a strong argument, then it's better... and shows that I need to adopt a different opinion! An unchallenged opinion is worth nothing. So, if I present a strong case and it gets shot down, then I adopt the winning case. :) (I'm really pretty unassuming IRL and one of those "nice guys" you always hear about, but rarely see anywhere. :) )
.. He does make the point about the so called "Main Stream Media" push back towards the On line independent news sources , as On-line is acctualy cutting into the Mains position of being the only source of information and causeing the every day Tom Dick and Mary to look at more outlets and directly Question in thier face the Big Guys .
I saw that bit. (I skipped about, listening to key points, moving to another bit, listening for new arguments, moving on if there weren't any, trying to skip past the "I am part of those free-thinking edgy people that THE MAN feels threatened by" junk.)

Everyone wants as much revenue from their target audience as possible, including "The Man." When that revenue isn't threatened, most of those looking for it won't care. For those attempting political influence, they want as broad of a market as possible. In fact, they're going to treat their target audience exactly like someone who was only interested in gaining some revenue, sales, or pagehits from them. IOW - They will cater to that audience and seek to attract the widest possible audience.

If someone is looking to gain an audience for their "edgy" commentary, then they need to choose the appropriate platform. If their host doesn't like their content, they should expect to no longer be hosted by that host.

Big Media doesn't care what popular, edgy, neckbeards have to say unless it effects their earnings. And, if the confrontational neckbeards want to get in a war with Big Media, they had better pick the battleground. (ie: One that supports their sort of content.)

I'm often surprised that some "personalities" feel they have some sort of exclusive privilege to say and do as they wish on media and social sites that they, themselves, do not own. It doesn't matter if they're saying things that are agreeable, like "save the puppies" or things that are controversial, like "stomp on kittens" - If it's someone else's house, they don't have a right to yell in it.

All in all, people make a bit much out of social-media personalities. Most of the time, they're saying stupid crap and the only insight they have is how to gain pagehits, which their hosts love, since it increases their ad revenue...

"Valuable" personalities aren't censored or banned. Logan Paul is still jabbering away inane crap, like he's "somebody", even though he purposefully filmed a corpse and did quite a few other things of questionable morality. He didn't get banned for "being edgy" because he makes $$$ by dancing in front of crowds of mouthbreathers who love his quircky antics. Fifty-years from now, nobody will be quoting a darn thing he ever said about anything. :)

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Tue, 27. Feb 18, 19:08

@Bishop149

Depends, if you want to go on strike for your pensions rights, then join the Union, as legal support for £30 a month is a steal, handy if your employer gets funny about it. On the other hand, because only 2 people is in the Union, the leverage is way down, so the company is calling the shots.

Way to go is to get more people into joining the Union. Strength in numbers.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 28. Feb 18, 15:55

The hierarchy of conspiracy theorists...

https://imgur.com/gallery/iKxSd

(Long ago, I used to run around the 'net, jumping into various conspiracy theory circles, debunking (where warranted) and having delightful arguments with certain notables and proponents. Why? I dunno, was bored I guess. BUT THIS has stuff I've never heard of! ZOMGZ! I gotta look some of these things up! TO TEH BAT CAVE!)

felter
xr

Post by felter » Tue, 6. Mar 18, 19:34

Never know where to post these type of things, so I'm just going to throw it in here even though it is not news.

Anyway it's not when Harry met Sally but more, when Patrick Stewart met Sting.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 6. Mar 18, 20:20

felter wrote:Never know where to post these type of things, so I'm just going to throw it in here even though it is not news.

Anyway it's not when Harry met Sally but more, when Patrick Stewart met Sting.
That was awesome! LOL Thanks!

Tracker001
x3tc

Post by Tracker001 » Thu, 8. Mar 18, 22:57

Cern Project Puma
...Antimatter vanishes instantly when it meets matter. But researchers have developed ways to trap it and increase its lifespan in order to use it to study matter. A new project called PUMA (antiProton Unstable Matter Annihilation) aims to trap a record one billion antiprotons at CERN’s GBAR experiment at the ELENA facility and keep them for several weeks.
..Such a long storage time would allow the trapped antiprotons to be loaded into a van and transported to the neighbouring ISOLDE ion-beam facility located a few hundred metres away. At ISOLDE, the antiprotons would then be collided with radioactive ions so that exotic nuclear phenomena could be studied.

https://home.cern/about/updates/2018/03 ... nsportable
If the area where the LHC is located suddenly goes poof ,we'll know why . :D

PS: I wonder if computer operating systems have an auto reset for time dialation like they have for Day-Light savings ? :)

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sat, 10. Mar 18, 05:23

Hey, with all the negitivity in the world why would anyone want anti-protons? Makes me wonder if they'll set there in their magnetic bottle holding up little picket signs; Annihilate Protons Now! :D
MIND THE GAP

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Sun, 11. Mar 18, 02:55

You don't like Aunty's Proton?

Well maybe it does have too many miles on the clock. She drives everywhere in that thing :P

Interesting article. A billion of them is both a very big number and a very small number at the same time. It's big in the sense that those things are notoriously hard to collect, but it's small when you consider how many atoms you would expect to find in a bad of sugar.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sun, 11. Mar 18, 03:01

Ouch! :rofl: Okay...thanks I needed that. No I'd say your dear Aunty's Proton is safe from annihilation for the moment...(usually measured in picoseconds).
MIND THE GAP

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 12. Mar 18, 19:54

brucewarren wrote:You don't like Aunty's Proton?

Image...
Whoever decided "baby-puke" green should be a "color".... Well, they should be fired.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Mon, 12. Mar 18, 22:19

Actually it's better than that floresant green Volkswagon came up with in the early 2000's. That would make a baby puke. Almost as bad as that "institutional green" the US government uses. Might as well roll out a car with nothing but zinc chromate primer. There's only one green that looked good on wheels, that's Jaguar Green.

A waste of protons on Proton? Aunty's probably color blind.
MIND THE GAP

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Mon, 12. Mar 18, 22:57

Sadly "Aunty" and her Proton only existed for the purposes of that awful pun.

While I grant you that Jaguars look good in green they I would argue that 60163 "Tornado" wears dark green rather better.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Mon, 12. Mar 18, 23:07

No, I'll admit that some wear green well. Where the fad of those light green shades came from isn't worth the effort to phathom. I hope this "Trump phenommenon" is as short lived as the phenom of rolling caution signs. Hopefully as shortlived as the duration of your average anti-proton. :lol:
MIND THE GAP

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 13. Mar 18, 19:49

Hank001 wrote:...A waste of protons on Proton? Aunty's probably color blind.
A friend of mine is color-blind. Not terribly so. (Can't remember the specific version.)

But, he had the most awful colored car at one time, when he was in college. He was very proud of it. We all vowed to not tell him it was baby-$%@ green... We complimented him on his car and held our tongues about its color. Pretty amazing behavior for young college students, when one thinks about it.

Ah, government green...

"What color are we going to paint these cinder blocks!"

"Cinder blocks? Why not just put up some real walls or something, maybe-"

"I know, we've got half-a-can of OD green, a pint of yellow and five gallons left of white! Problem solved and under budget!"

"But..."

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Tue, 13. Mar 18, 20:01

:rofl: Oh yes! You nailed it! Only one color in nature matches that Govt Green. That's the mold that grew on those Govt urinal disinfectant cakes. We called that color "P..s Cookey Green". Don't ask me what breed of fungi seemed to thrive on those napthaline hockey pucks, but we wondered if the Govt wasn't growing and harvesting it to make that God Awful color green paint!
MIND THE GAP

Return to “Off Topic English”