Building A Fleet in X4

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Building A Fleet in X4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Mon, 12. Feb 18, 12:03

What I need to know is, how easy is it going to be, to build a fleet in X4?

If this game is going to require more strategic thinking to build a large empire, then I am assuming I will need more than one fleet.

From what I recall, I found the creation of a fleet in X3, to be a long drawn out tedious process. If a carrier was involved and I needed a lot of fighters then it became mind numbingly boring.

So will I be able to place an order at a shipyard to build a fleet?

Something along the lines of:

I want 2 XL destroyers using template XXX.
A carrier built using template YYYY populated with
10 fighters in wing 1, using template ZZZ,
10 fighters in wing 2 using template AAA,
10 fighters in wing 3 using template BBB,
10 fighters in wing 4 using template CCC,
10 Medium bombers using template DDD.
4 L destroyers using template EEE.
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Karvat
x4

Post by Karvat » Mon, 12. Feb 18, 14:50

This is really necessary to avoid the long / tedious / boring configuration procedure of every single ship, we hope it works this way

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 12. Feb 18, 16:55

It has been confirmed that shipyard production/ordering will have ship templates configure/save/load where you can equipment and then use that templates for multiple purchases.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Tue, 13. Feb 18, 07:13

How about getting the crew for such a fleet, how is that going to happen?
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Tue, 13. Feb 18, 19:55

What would be nice is a Twitch stream section centred around Fleet mechanics and strategic gameplay. What we have seen of X4 so far is imho really encouraging and positive, I can also understand why people are nervous about the detail behind the high level statements. Most of the questions seem to come down to "sounds great but will it suck cos xyz hasn't been taken care of."

Crew for fleets and ships in production or captured is I think a good example.

Personally I like the idea of having to do most things manually at least once, but then have some in game function be it software upgrade or some NPC that you invest in to do it for you. Then you as the player during the course of your game decide what is or is not important to you i.e. where to spend your time and resources and in which order.

A ship recruitment officer or function sounds nice and is probably most welcome as you grow in the game, but given to the player too early could rob them of gameplay and the ability to out perform some automated function. I still hold out hope for some Early Access period for UX testing on topics such as these as its going to be very hard for ES to get it right from the start.

thrangar
x4

Post by thrangar » Tue, 13. Feb 18, 20:43

BigBANGtheory wrote:What would be nice is a Twitch stream section centred around Fleet mechanics and strategic gameplay. What we have seen of X4 so far is imho really encouraging and positive, I can also understand why people are nervous about the detail behind the high level statements. Most of the questions seem to come down to "sounds great but will it suck cos xyz hasn't been taken care of."

Crew for fleets and ships in production or captured is I think a good example.

Personally I like the idea of having to do most things manually at least once, but then have some in game function be it software upgrade or some NPC that you invest in to do it for you. Then you as the player during the course of your game decide what is or is not important to you i.e. where to spend your time and resources and in which order.

A ship recruitment officer or function sounds nice and is probably most welcome as you grow in the game, but given to the player too early could rob them of gameplay and the ability to out perform some automated function. I still hold out hope for some Early Access period for UX testing on topics such as these as its going to be very hard for ES to get it right from the start.
+1...I like this Idea

PowerPC603
xr

Post by PowerPC603 » Sun, 18. Feb 18, 13:07

ZaphodBeeblebrox wrote:How about getting the crew for such a fleet, how is that going to happen?
They could add some options where you declare how much money you want to spend on each type of officer, or to set a minimum level for your required officers if money is no issue.
So when you buy a new ship, your settings are taken into account to automatically hire a new officer for that new ship based on the current market.
If no officer is available with your conditions (max price and/or minimum level), a fresh officer with the lowest level could be hired, which would gain experience as all the other officers can. But since this was a fresh one with the lowest level and experience, it will simply take longer to get him to maximum efficiency.
GamePC: 64bit Quad-core i5-3450 @ 3.1GHz, 12GB RAM, nVidia GeForce RTX2070 8GB, 22" LG Full-HD LED-monitor, Windows 7 Home 64bit

Return to “X4: Foundations”