Boarding Pods

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Boarding Pods

Post by Bill Huntington » Fri, 26. Jan 18, 05:42

I'm amazed by the graphics of this game. Lately I've been boarding up close with the Acinonyx. In an early part of the game, I'm using the Ion Shard weapons to take the target shields down. Boas and Hypes are fast and maneuverable. I launch Boarding Pods at a target that's crossing my field of view. The BP turns and follows the target, even jinks a time or two. The BPs don't miss but get there eventually.

When I've launched from the Cobra it's usually at a safer distance. Then we don't see this. There's references to 'fuel left in the pod'.

I've seen pod that get shot by the target and dump their marines into space. I've seen them shatter on impact and kill them. But I've never seen them miss a target and go Dutchman, sailing past their target.

A consequence: We can fire them from any angle without worry. I usually didn't chance it before.

Anyone else see that?
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

lighters
x4

Post by lighters » Fri, 26. Jan 18, 09:17

I've definitely seen boarding pods miss the target, turn around and go for another pass, just like a missile would do. This can cause an unfortunate situation when some pods hit instantly, while others take a while to hit, and marines start fighting on deck 1 with just half the force.

This usually only happens with agile targets.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 26. Jan 18, 14:27

There is also an X3TC/AP RNG routine that says that there is a slight chance that a pod making a successful contact with the target will fail to latch on and spill its marines to space. Old thread here.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

fireanddream
xr

Post by fireanddream » Fri, 26. Jan 18, 15:11

Alan Phipps wrote:There is also an X3TC/AP RNG routine that says that there is a slight chance that a pod making a successful contact with the target will fail to latch on and spill its marines to space. Old thread here.
Some moderator (sorry can't remember his name) suggested that pods have 0.1% chance of dying upon contact. I also witnessed this when attempting to cap an atmospheric lifter. I thought it was a hit box problem.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 26. Jan 18, 18:07

Missiles have "rotation" property. Pods (and Wasps) have 48 RPM, Mosquitos 220 RPM and Hammer heavies 6 RPM. (X3AP; in X3TC Mosquitos are less agile, about 158 RPM.)

In other words, the pods should turn like Wasps. How often do you miss a boardable ship with Wasps?
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”