Android and iOS app?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

WildDoktor
x3ap

Android and iOS app?

Post by WildDoktor » Thu, 18. Jan 18, 00:40

Wondering if there will be an app that I can monitor my X4 game from? You know, leave the game running at home, go to work, at lunchtime pull up the app on my phone and check progress, give orders, etc.

This would be awesome!

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Thu, 18. Jan 18, 01:31

They would need to implement an online system for that but their resources are still busy with http://www.online-universe.net from 2000. :D

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

WildDoktor
x3ap

Post by WildDoktor » Thu, 18. Jan 18, 03:38

Nah; they just need to make the connector info available so some smart person can build an app. Open up a port an your home router, and you're in!

If only!! 😎

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Thu, 18. Jan 18, 09:41

I don't want such an app, you can't access all features you will focus on a game while at places you should focus other things eg. your work, you get just another security issue, and I would have to buy a smartphone a these things aren't robust enough for my taste.

I rather want a usefull SETA implementation.
Last edited by ubuntufreakdragon on Thu, 18. Jan 18, 09:42, edited 1 time in total.
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Thu, 18. Jan 18, 09:41

Tamina wrote:They would need to implement an online system for that but their resources are still busy with http://www.online-universe.net from 2000. :D
Can't wait for X-Online to come out. I'm way too hyped for that for the past 17 years.

WildDoktor
x3ap

Post by WildDoktor » Thu, 18. Jan 18, 18:29

repatomonor wrote:
Tamina wrote:They would need to implement an online system for that but their resources are still busy with http://www.online-universe.net from 2000. :D
Can't wait for X-Online to come out. I'm way too hyped for that for the past 17 years.
Oh man; I just looked at that link...wow, wouldn't *that* have been fun!

Vandragorax
x4

Post by Vandragorax » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 17:22

Haha, well a few years later, EVE came out so I guess anyone looking for that went there and found out how utterly horrible a persistent universe full of "humans" really is. Ganking and scamming abound in an online simulation that doesn't uphold the same laws as the real world... it's just asking for trouble :P

WildDoktor
x3ap

Post by WildDoktor » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 17:57

BlackDemon wrote:Haha, well a few years later, EVE came out so I guess anyone looking for that went there and found out how utterly horrible a persistent universe full of "humans" really is. Ganking and scamming abound in an online simulation that doesn't uphold the same laws as the real world... it's just asking for trouble :P
Yeah; I just did some research on EVE and wow...I'm kinda' glad I was to much into flight simming to get involved in that, and at the same time it might have been fun to be in at the beginning! A completely different world, for sure.

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 18:25

WildDoktor wrote:
BlackDemon wrote:Haha, well a few years later, EVE came out so I guess anyone looking for that went there and found out how utterly horrible a persistent universe full of "humans" really is. Ganking and scamming abound in an online simulation that doesn't uphold the same laws as the real world... it's just asking for trouble :P
Yeah; I just did some research on EVE and wow...I'm kinda' glad I was to much into flight simming to get involved in that, and at the same time it might have been fun to be in at the beginning! A completely different world, for sure.
I played EVE, you can dodge 99% of ganks in nullsec even alone without a faction. Although it's not fun to continuously adjust your course, it certainly adds stress to your life which I also like to avoid so dropped the sub after 6 months.

WildDoktor
x3ap

Post by WildDoktor » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 18:30

Back to the OP...but first, let me digress!

I started watching "Magellan" yesterday. I found it on Amazon Prime videos because I had 45 minutes to kill, so I started watching it...I'm not done yet, so no spoilers please! :-) I've no opinion yet of the movie, except to say: their depiction of using touch-screen devices is, to me, spot-on. (I've been an IT guy for 28 years, so this is just my opinion!) Large, logically grouped menu boxes that bring up context-sensitive sub menus, large "alert" boxes that pop up over the top of all the other items, etc. Very brilliantly done, and they did it so well that it isn't even a focal point of the movie; I just notice that kind of thing. :-)

Now bringing it back around to the topic:

An android / ios app for X4 would be such a treat; imagine having your 10" touch-screen tablet laying on your desk / propped up in it's holder / strapped to your leg (like a real pilot/astronaut), and being able to navigate X4 menus simply by poking large, easy to read "buttons"!

Combine that with multi-monitor capability, and wow...imagine the home cockpit you could build!

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 19:39

Just to give my 2 cents. I wouldn't want one at launch maybe after the first expansion.

X games at release aren't really hardware friendly because testing is done with a few select people and optimization really starts after player feedback and crash reports start to flow in. So I want to be able to kill the program if my CPU is about to get fried or my RAM/pagefile overloads with memory leak.

Even after that, I'm an engineer with responsibilities now so I can't really get caught playing on my phone. :roll:

WildDoktor
x3ap

Post by WildDoktor » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 20:24

Agreed; not at launch...just concentrate on the basic game for launch and upgrade from there.

But using a tablet as an added control input in-game at some point down the road, even if just for mundane stuff like menus / comms, would be pretty sweet!

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Sat, 20. Jan 18, 11:55

Mentioned it before, but what they really should do is implement an outward facing API for X4.

Egosoft making an app would unnecessarily dilute their development time, and I don't think it should be baked into the game or designed around being played this way to begin with.

However, this is something that could be a great community mod. If there's an easy way to send commands to a running instance of X4 and retrieve information about its game state, I'm sure we would see this feature and more in no time.

Alith-Ahnar
Xtreme
Xtreme
x4

Post by Alith-Ahnar » Sat, 20. Jan 18, 19:07

Before a external App i rather see a second screen feature option, like with X².

Options to map the map or menus and such to additional screens.

Loved X² for the extra camera screens.
X2: You better go play with asteroids!/You losssssee profitsssss!
X4: Chelt are better pilot then you!/Machine behave badly Split switch off.

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Sat, 20. Jan 18, 20:24

SplitBoy wrote:Before a external App i rather see a second screen feature option, like with X².

Options to map the map or menus and such to additional screens.

Loved X² for the extra camera screens.
Well I'd love the new map on an extra window. However if I recall correctly they already said something along the lines of "not likely".

ExtraTitanian
xr

Post by ExtraTitanian » Sat, 3. Feb 18, 05:42

If I remember right, after launching X3AP from the plugin manager, it didn't close once and I got a prompt in game asking to make sure (the plugin manager specifically) closed. Mayhaps there is a way? Today, I was just wishing I had a way of tracking trade amounts without having to Alt-Tab between game and a spreadsheet program. Having the ability to output information like financials or cargo content out of the game somehow would be awesome.

LittleBird

Post by LittleBird » Sat, 24. Mar 18, 22:30

I really don't care.
Hey! Even that is an opinion.

But I have no smart phone.
So if there is no extra content for smart phone user I really don't care.
Ich bin für die Einführung von Ironie- und Sarkasmustags.
Alle Klarheiten beseitigt!

Miniding
x4

Post by Miniding » Sun, 25. Mar 18, 10:33

Vandragorax wrote:Haha, well a few years later, EVE came out so I guess anyone looking for that went there and found out how utterly horrible a persistent universe full of "humans" really is. Ganking and scamming abound in an online simulation that doesn't uphold the same laws as the real world... it's just asking for trouble :P
Totally agree!

I did some tries to Star Citizen and it's the same...
Universe seem too small for humans :lol:

Edit :

For the subject f OP :

At some point, a kind of telemetry should be interesting like budget, ships stats, universe map.......
In project cars 2, it's possible to have shared memory access the datas you want to monitor. It's only for monitoring but should be enough for me. The app's would do monitoring only.
But for that, Ego needs to develop a shared memory with mapping of datas to be used by outside apps and I don't think it's in their papers for X4...
Miniding
X3 Reunion - X3 Terran Conflict - X3 Albion Prelude - X Rebirth - X4 CE...

sakuramboo
x4

Post by sakuramboo » Mon, 30. Apr 18, 20:37

I have wanted an Android app for X since X3:R. But, not in the manner you described. I was wanting a companion app. Something like the computer in X-R but on my tablet. Something so I can lookup stuff from the encyclopedia, look up maps, set navigation paths, monitor the ship status, build status of factories, monitor stocks, etc. all from the tablet without having to use the in-game menus.

Miniding
x4

Post by Miniding » Wed, 2. May 18, 21:57

sakuramboo wrote:I have wanted an Android app for X since X3:R. But, not in the manner you described. I was wanting a companion app. Something like the computer in X-R but on my tablet. Something so I can lookup stuff from the encyclopedia, look up maps, set navigation paths, monitor the ship status, build status of factories, monitor stocks, etc. all from the tablet without having to use the in-game menus.
I understand how that would be cool and helpfull... but as I said, even a simple shared memory to monitor doesn't seem to be in their minds...

Or may be a surprise???

If any Ego's Dev wants to tell us if Something of near that kind has been evoqued or even thougt?
Miniding
X3 Reunion - X3 Terran Conflict - X3 Albion Prelude - X Rebirth - X4 CE...

Return to “X4: Foundations”