Handy X2 keyboard layout diagram!

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Do you think this diagram is useful for playing X2?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 7

LifeMatrix
x2

Handy X2 keyboard layout diagram!

Post by LifeMatrix » Wed, 25. Jul 07, 07:20

I'm still a bit new to playing X2 and I haven't completely memorized all the keyboard commands yet. Some of them I picked up pretty quick (partly from having played XBTF), but others seem so obscure and rarely used. Some of the shortcuts seem a bit counterintuitive, too. I still find myself issuing quite a few of my commands via the Main menu and the Ship menu.

I remember when I first looked through the X2 Manual and documentation I was a bit disappointed that there was no keyboard layout or illustrated diagram of the game controls. Sure, there is a nearly complete listing of keyboard commands, but it's just not the same. I found it much easier to get into a new game when they include a printed keyboard layout, such as with Master of Orion 3 and others. Besides, the various game patches have changed the keyboard shortcuts so that it's now a bit different from the manual.

For these reasons (and also because I want to modify a program to capture additional keyboard inputs for some X2 scripts), I drew up a keyboard layout for X2!

Granted, this looks rather amaturish since it was merely done with ink on paper, but I think it's legible and it gets the job done. And even though it was done by hand, it took me a few hours to figure out how to squeeze all this stuff onto one page! And after scanning it, I spend a good deal of time just cleaning it up to look presentable. I thought about using Corel PHOTO-PAINT to do a professional job of it, but I'm too lazy to do that right now. (And I'm chewing at the bit to actually get back to playing X2! ;) )

[ external image ]

Just click on the thumbnail image to get a full-sized version that you should be able to download and/or print out clearly. Oh, and here's a tip: I laminated my copy so that I can drink while playing - without worrying about smearing it! :D

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Wed, 25. Jul 07, 14:38

wow - cool! 8)

- this has just gotta be a "sticky", surely guys..??
Last edited by BugMeister on Wed, 25. Jul 07, 14:41, edited 1 time in total.
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Wed, 25. Jul 07, 14:40

Nice. I would do the same but then I cant read my own handwriting so that could be a problem :D
X2 Capture Guru - X3:TC Noob :D
X2 Capture Guide

mattstint
x4

Post by mattstint » Wed, 25. Jul 07, 14:57

My version of X2 in a card box with a lid came with both CDs in a sleeve and the keyboard layout was printed on that sleeve, made for easy referencing.

It doesn't matter much for X3 since the controls are pretty much identical but it would've been nicer to have a sexy box again :D
fud wrote:This place is a utopian oasis on the s**t sea that is the internet, and for that, I'm grateful. :)

soleseacher

Post by soleseacher » Wed, 25. Jul 07, 20:07

Well yes I suppose it would for someone starting out but for me I don't really need it I've been playing the game that long know I know every key backwards :wink:

poppycock
x2

Post by poppycock » Wed, 25. Jul 07, 20:10

O.K. a tiny bit of constructive criticism, I think it looks a bit cluttered so maybe if you could space it out a little it'd be perfect.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Thu, 26. Jul 07, 00:53

- it's art - you should exhibit it..!!

- looks much better than a sawn-off pickled shark any day..!! :)
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

ZippyTheWonderbat

Keyboard Layout

Post by ZippyTheWonderbat » Sat, 10. Oct 09, 16:15

Does anyone have a keyboard layout map they could post? The link to the one in the forums is broken. X2

Thanks.
What goes around comes around.

ZippyTheWonderbat

LifeMatrix
x2

Post by LifeMatrix » Tue, 16. Mar 10, 07:36

Hmm...
Well, it looks the file host for this turned into a pay site and deleted my stuff. And, worse, the PC I had been using at the time has since suffered a major hard drive crash. (Three different Maxtor drives and they've all practically died. And my friend's Maxtor USB drive died horribly. I'm never buying anything Maxtor again!)

I don't suppose anyone reading this has a copy?

There's still a chance I could find it on one of my drives or backups, but it seems unlikely.

Anyway, I suppose an X3 keyboard layout might be of some use:

[X3] Keyboard layouts by BugMeister (excel) (1/12/2006)

But this keyboard layout is for X3, not X2. Although, another player pointed out that the controls are very similar (i.e., almost identical). However, after printing it out, I find that I have to squint and look real closely to make out the labels. The keys are labeled with such fine print it's very hard for me to read... even with glasses.

BTW: There's also the X2 Hot Key Guide, which lists the keys.

Buck_Rogers
x3

Post by Buck_Rogers » Tue, 16. Mar 10, 12:27

I'm lucky! :D The cardboard sleve that my 2 X2 disc's are in, opens out to reveal the keyboard map. Very handy!
Buck Rogers

Vice Admiral of Shadows Haven Alliance (SHA) visit us at:
SHA Forum
Feel free to join my DID
Too often we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown. But only 4 to extend your arm and slap the bugger!

Jack_Schitt
x2

Post by Jack_Schitt » Sun, 14. Jan 18, 00:05

Does anyone have a copy of this they'd be kind enough to share? Apparently the one that was originally posted is no longer available. Or am I missing a download link somewhere? I don't see an image to click on.
ahjkfldahf

kohlrak

Post by kohlrak » Sun, 14. Jan 18, 12:19

Jack_Schitt wrote:Does anyone have a copy of this they'd be kind enough to share? Apparently the one that was originally posted is no longer available. Or am I missing a download link somewhere? I don't see an image to click on.
Top google search results happens to be this post. The way i've been doing it is looking with the H key to find out what i want to do that's listed there, then practice doing it a few times, and looking back if i forget. For the menues, I'm memorizing what menu keys get me to where i want. So, if i want to take down some Kha'ak, "c22", if i want to scan the sector "." and if i want to know where my ships are in the big picture, I "r," and i'll see where it's at and what surrounds it. Try to mix the combinations you know to figure it out. E is pretty useful when hunting, T is pretty useless, IMO, but i continue to have hope that some day it'll target what i want it to target, instead of picking teh same thing every time i hit T (usually, t's the gate behind the target). "U" is a universal follow, dock, go through target command key. Pretty useful if you can get T to do what you want. Usually i end up using a triplex scanner, hit "." then "page down" a few times, up arrow past the asteroids, hit T on the gate, hit escape a few times (leave menues), hit u (go through gate), and then hit j (waste time).

Jack_Schitt
x2

Post by Jack_Schitt » Sun, 14. Jan 18, 12:48

Thank you for replying! I have finger fumbled on some controls that made a noise or said command accepted that are not in the list in the Help menu. For example cntrl + J makes a funky noise, but what the heck is it doing? Another one I fumbled on was cntrl+7 which I think is a wingman command but I don't know what it tells them to do or if it's a wingman command for sure. Plus I remember there are also fighter drone keyboard shortcuts for commanding them that also aren't on the help menu list.

If no one has a copy of what was originally posted here, which I was hoping would have these controls listed, is there a complete control list somewhere like in a config file or something?
ahjkfldahf

kohlrak

Post by kohlrak » Sun, 14. Jan 18, 14:08

Jack_Schitt wrote:Thank you for replying! I have finger fumbled on some controls that made a noise or said command accepted that are not in the list in the Help menu. For example cntrl + J makes a funky noise, but what the heck is it doing? Another one I fumbled on was cntrl+7 which I think is a wingman command but I don't know what it tells them to do or if it's a wingman command for sure. Plus I remember there are also fighter drone keyboard shortcuts for commanding them that also aren't on the help menu list.

If no one has a copy of what was originally posted here, which I was hoping would have these controls listed, is there a complete control list somewhere like in a config file or something?
ctrl, alt and the like are not combineable. You probably have the ctrl key mapped or unmapped or something, and it's the same as the J key, which has the wirrdown noise of the SETA drive.

I haven't checked the manual, though, have you? i'm not in a good spot right now to check myself. However, try using the page-down key in the help menu. Shift-8 and shift-9 are what you're looking for. Learn to love that key. On my keyboard, they surround the up arrow keys. They are very useful for most of the menus.

Jack_Schitt
x2

Post by Jack_Schitt » Sun, 14. Jan 18, 14:53

Next time you're in the game press Ctrl + J and see. The sound reminds me of some kind of powering down sound. And you're right it is shift +7. I made a mistake when I typed it originally, apologies. Shift + 7 is some kind of command for something but it's not listed in the manual or in The Help menu.
ahjkfldahf

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sun, 14. Jan 18, 15:07

From our downloads section you can download the X2: The Threat manual, which has a list of keyboard commands. As for the availability of the download from this topic, if you look a few posts above yours, you will notice that the file was lost almost 8 years ago already.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”