What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Thu, 4. Jan 18, 21:45

X files season 11. It seems as though the mythology episodes are going to be bad again this year. Hopefully the monster of the week episodes will be good. There are 10 episodes in this season.

You can watch it on:

Canada CTV

https://www.ctv.ca/The-X-Files

US

https://www.fox.com/the-x-files/

NZ/Au

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 4. Jan 18, 22:25

It looks like there is definitely going to be a sequel to Netflix's "Bright." It got panned by critics, but I've yet to hear anyone who's seen it give a bad personal review. Giz- N'flix officially making a sequel. This reminds me a lot of the made-for-tv movie series that used to be popular back when I was a kid.

I haven't yet watched the first, though... However, Ayer is supposed to be writing the next one. "Suicide Squad" sucked... It was a movie-vacuum-of-power-suck. It was like inserting twenty bucks into a jet engine of pure suck. The suck was strong with that one. The only thing that didn't suck was some of what Margot Robbie did with, arguably, the best character of the lot. (Nailed the smile, did really well with some of the lines, was definitely proficient in wearing short-shorts) Everything else sucked. And sucked. Did I mention it sucked, too?

Right now, the only series I'm watching is the cable news channels reviewing the latest juicy tidbits reported to be in a "tell-all" insider book on Trump's White House, "Fire and Fury" by Michael Wolff. I swear, this stuff is more entertaining than anything I've seen on television since the O.J. Trial.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Fri, 5. Jan 18, 00:52

Morkonan wrote:It looks like there is definitely going to be a sequel to Netflix's "Bright." It got panned by critics, but I've yet to hear anyone who's seen it give a bad personal review. Giz- N'flix officially making a sequel. This reminds me a lot of the made-for-tv movie series that used to be popular back when I was a kid.
Just watched it, really quite enjoyed it.
Sure it's hardly a masterpiece, has some pretty lazy plotting with more than a few holes. Good idea a little poorly executed but enjoyable none the less.

Just read a few of the (negative) critical reviews and their chief criticisms seem to be:
1) Will Smith isn't type cast enough.
2) Nothing is properly explained.

1) is just silly and as for 2) Jeez really. Whats wrong with not explaining everything. Have some fun, do a bit of your own speculation around the ideas presented. Perhaps try and grow an imagination. :roll:
I think this is the fault of the rise of the series, perhaps people have gotten too used to 10-15 hrs of world building. But then I spend much of my time reading sci-fi short stories in which your often thrown right in at the deep end and it can take 2/3 of the story to even grasp what the hell is going on. I think if these reviewers ever read something like this their heads might explode.
Last edited by Bishop149 on Fri, 5. Jan 18, 09:13, edited 1 time in total.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Fri, 5. Jan 18, 08:39

It looks the the next 14 episodes of The Orville might be in 2019.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/the-orvi ... der-larger

The show is now expected to return in early 2019

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 5. Jan 18, 19:05

Bishop149 wrote:...1) is just silly and as for 2) Jeez really. Whats wrong with not explaining everything. Have some fun, do a bit of your own speculation around the ideas presented. Perhaps try and grow an imagination. :roll:
I think this is the fault of the rise of the series, perhaps people have gotten too used to 10-15 hrs of world building. ...
You might like this. It's just been released by Netflix, a little bit of background on the world of Bright: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRRoAZcwQMY

I will wait to see it until after I've seen the movie.
But then I spend much of my time reading sci-fi short stories in which your often thrown right in at the deep end and it can take 2/3 of the story to even grasp what the hell is going on. I think if these reviewers ever read something like this their heads might explode.
WTF?

Aaand, it's available in audiobook form... ROFLMAO! LOLOLOLOL Oh lordy, I gotta hear what they think /^^^\&- "sounds like."

Listened to the audio version, starts at 3:13 or so in the blogcast. Lolz... insert description of onomatopoeia here -> (R2D2 having a.. private moment.)

Read what I could. I could tell it was written by a philosopher. This is exactly what my old philosophy teacher would have written, if he could write... I do remember him using chalk and a chalkboard, at the same time, but I don't remember him ever "writing words." Lines, circles, scrawls - Yes. Actual "words?" Not that I can recall.

He also wore socks with his sandals. Nice guy, though.

Anyway, am going to try to watch "Bright" this weekend, not sure if I'll be successful. I don't really feel like subscribing to Netflix just to watch it, but I might just have to go ahead and do that.
burger1 wrote:It looks the the next 14 episodes of The Orville might be in 2019.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/the-orvi ... der-larger

The show is now expected to return in early 2019
WTF? 2019?

And, this:
...Executive producer and star, Seth MacFarlane, told reporters that The Orville season 2 would be at least 14 episodes. "I’d rather do fewer episodes and have them be better content-wise than do 22 and have them be filler," MacFarlane is quoted as saying by TVGuide.com...
Translation: "Lolz, they actually bought it? We didn't expect to actually have to write anything else, since we had no idea where the show was really going to go if it got renewed. Since we're just sort of taking this as it goes, we don't have any material prepared. But, I think we can crap out 14 episodes without actually having to try too hard. But, that'll take a year and we'll probably still be filming episodes during the 2019 season, 'cause I have other projects I want to get started on."

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Mon, 8. Jan 18, 00:41

It now looks like The Orville will release season 2 in 2018.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheOrville/com ... ight_from/

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Mon, 8. Jan 18, 12:03

Morkonan wrote:You might like this. It's just been released by Netflix, a little bit of background on the world of Bright: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRRoAZcwQMY

[snip]

WTF?

Aaand, it's available in audiobook form... ROFLMAO! LOLOLOLOL Oh lordy, I gotta hear what they think /^^^\&- "sounds like."

Listened to the audio version, starts at 3:13 or so in the blogcast. Lolz... insert description of onomatopoeia here -> (R2D2 having a.. private moment.).
Thanks I'll give the Bright thing a look.

I actually first came across "Little /^^^\&-" in audio form via the incredibly excellent: Clarkesworld podcast, which I could not recommend more highly. It's free but well worth a Patreon donation. Yeah the musical notes and various sound effects used for the odd names was an interesting take.
Brief aside into "What are you listening to" territory over. . . . :roll:

I just started "Dark" on Netflix, suffice to say that if you liked Stranger Things you'll like Dark.
There's more than a little overlap, it's all a bit bleaker though.
It's native language is German but in my case Netflix decided to automatically dub it into English, which looked and sounded horrible. It took me a while playing with the settings to get it to display German audio with English subtitles.
Don't let the subtitles put you off, I'm finding it more than absorbing enough to compensate for them.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 8. Jan 18, 19:24

Bishop149 wrote:...I just started "Dark" on Netflix, suffice to say that if you liked Stranger Things you'll like Dark....
I haven't seen "Stranger Things." <looks around, anxiously> I don't watch much "entertainment" television. I do, on occasion, but nothing regularly. (Except for "Game of Thrones" and a few shows I end up watching with friends when visiting.)

So, did I miss out on the whole "Stranger Things" movement? I assume it's still running?
...It's native language is German but in my case Netflix decided to automatically dub it into English, which looked and sounded horrible. It took me a while playing with the settings to get it to display German audio with English subtitles...
I had to search to find the German language version of "Das Boot." I was overjoyed when I finally found the director's cut, which has a bunch of added scenes in it. And, it was in the original German with English subtitles! YAY!

A friend of mine wondered why the heck I'd prefer it in German, since I don't really speak it. Uh, because that's the language it was originally in and I want to hear it, its inflections, its emphasis, want to hear the "spoken question" and recognize it from the inflections or, at least, learn what those sound like? I wanted to hear the actors, themselves, not some crappy dub or, worse, another actor. (I can understand a small amount of German. Not enough to be able to order a cup of coffee, but enough to avoid getting run over in the middle of the street...)

I hate "dubs," especially when they're bad. If the movie is good enough for me to watch out-of-market, then I want the whole treatment, with subtitles of course.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Tue, 9. Jan 18, 12:15

Stargate Continuum and Ark of Truth free to watch on CTV (Canada region locked). Need to turn off ad blockers or you won't see the other movies on the page just Stargate Continuum.

https://www.ctv.ca/Movies/Video/Stargat ... vid1290566

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Tue, 9. Jan 18, 19:14

Morkonan wrote:
Bishop149 wrote:...I just started "Dark" on Netflix, suffice to say that if you liked Stranger Things you'll like Dark....
I haven't seen "Stranger Things." <looks around, anxiously> I don't watch much "entertainment" television. I do, on occasion, but nothing regularly. (Except for "Game of Thrones" and a few shows I end up watching with friends when visiting.)

So, did I miss out on the whole "Stranger Things" movement? I assume it's still running?
You kind of "missed" it. Season 1 was good but it got quiet really fast after season 2.
Seriously, though, who cares if you missed the "movement" - doesn't keep ypou from enjoying a good series :P

I am watching Dirk Gently - Season 2 right now. It aired on Netflix in Germany a week ago. And so far I am enjoying it as much as season 1 :D

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Thu, 18. Jan 18, 19:20

Watching an odd, but awesome, Canadian comedy show "Letterkenny".

Brilliant.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Thu, 18. Jan 18, 21:01

My son recommended a single season 8x20 mins series called "The End of the f***ing World. Really weird but well worth watching.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Kapakio
x4

Post by Kapakio » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 11:58

Bishop149 wrote: I just started "Dark" on Netflix, suffice to say that if you liked Stranger Things you'll like Dark.
There's more than a little overlap, it's all a bit bleaker though.
It's native language is German but in my case Netflix decided to automatically dub it into English, which looked and sounded horrible. It took me a while playing with the settings to get it to display German audio with English subtitles.
Don't let the subtitles put you off, I'm finding it more than absorbing enough to compensate for them.
I just finished first season of "Dark". It is really good. It is pretty much the style and atmosphere of "Stranger Things" but replacing the multi-dimensional travelling by time travelling.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Thu, 1. Feb 18, 17:17

Just started watching Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and, after the second episode, I find it pretty cool ;-)

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Thu, 1. Feb 18, 21:48

Blade Runner The Final Cut version is free to watch on Crackle US region.

Stargate Origins February 1, 2018 trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Itqq9hz ... e=youtu.be

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Thu, 1. Feb 18, 22:00

burger1 wrote:Stargate Origins February 1, 2018 trailer.

Ah another childhood memory going down the drain... Because doing ORIGINAL stuff is hard I guess. :shock:

MFG

Ketraar

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Fri, 2. Feb 18, 16:26

Ketraar wrote:
burger1 wrote:Stargate Origins February 1, 2018 trailer.

Ah another childhood memory going down the drain... Because doing ORIGINAL stuff is hard I guess. :shock:

MFG

Ketraar
Finally, the age old question of what element people have missed in the Stargate franchise has been answered: Nazis! (Actually, there even is a SG1 episode (4.02) featuring a race with Nazi-like ideals from a different world.)

I can't help myself but feel that the trailer somehow looks like an Indiana Jones parody. Or maybe like the TV adaption of a movie, which probably isn't this far from reality, considering that Stargate Origins is only a mini web-series consisting of ten 10-minute long episodes. I'm not sure, who had the idea of making an Origins story, but taking into account that in the Stargate feature film, the SG1 episodes 1.11 and 2.21, and in Stargate: Continuum we learn already about the pre-SG1 history of the Stargate on Earth, I don't feel there's much left to tell. Especially, as in 1.11 Catherine Langford is in shock when she finds out that scientists in 1945 managed to activate the Stargate once.

Of course, seeing that the last Stargate release (Stargate: Universe) was some years ago, it's understandable that MGM first wants to test the waters. Still with all the open ends and little storylines alongside the plot of the different series, I feel there would have been better alternatives.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Fri, 2. Feb 18, 16:43

X2-Illuminatus wrote: I can't help myself but feel that the trailer somehow looks like an Indiana Jones parody.
This is how I felt. However I think there are some Goa'uld bosses shown in the trailer. The time line might also get changed to keep in line with the older series I think. So time travel maybe?

apogee
x3tc

Post by apogee » Fri, 2. Feb 18, 20:33

going to watch altered carbon tonight on netflix, lets see if it's any good?

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Fri, 2. Feb 18, 21:06

apogee wrote:going to watch altered carbon tonight on netflix, lets see if it's any good?
Lots of nudity.

"One of the reviews stated that the main character's butt is an unofficial character in it's own."

Return to “Off Topic English”