Random News not worthy of own thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 6. Jan 18, 23:44

The Q wrote:....What you mentioned with regards to the websites only doing "something" and blaming the rest on their users then, is the actual reason for the NetzDG. Basically, our justice minister wanted to do something against hate speech on the web, and asked social media platforms to do "something". They, however, didn't do enough, and so he had the bright ( :roll: ) idea to bring the NetzDG on its way.
^--- This! ^---- This, this, THIS!

That exact sequence of events is why most large business entities, no matter what sector they're in, try to engage in "self-regulation." They know something needs to be done about something and they fear the "heavy hand of government" will act if they do not.

The social media in question didn't act well enough to satisfy the needs and desires of those being served.

OR, perhaps, a politician wanted to demonstrate their worth to their constituents, so they took up a "righteous cause" and made a complete mess out of it... :)

Tracker001
x3tc

Post by Tracker001 » Sun, 7. Jan 18, 03:04

The Q wrote: stuff and missed the point entirely . We will see how long it takes for other EU members follow suit .

Net Nutrality {I do understand what can of worms that NN opened up by not putting ISPs under the Utility Esental Service act.} is an issue for the U.S. } I see no where that NN will effect internatinal traffic speeds
Imho the problem here is not the ambiguity of the law itself though. Instead it's the process of deciding what is offendable hate speech and what isn't. The usual process in a society with free speech is: Someone says something. If someone else feels offended by that they can file a charge. Then executive forces (police) and legislative force (courts) take action with both parties, offender and person who filed the charges, having the chance to state their case.

Code: Select all

Now, however, the NetzDG requires from the operator to decide what content falls under free speech and what is hate speech. A decision, for which the courts can take weeks or months, is now supposed to be made by non-professionals in seconds maybe a minute. Which simply doesn't work.
So right now how it works out, is that more content is simply blocked although it does not qualifiy as hate speech or either of the other crimes mentioned in this law. But even if it would work out as planned, this law obviously just applies to companies with a German office / server location. No one is stopping people from using hate speech on other similar websites outside of Germany.
So right now how it works out, is that more content is simply blocked although it does not qualifiy as hate speech or either of the other crimes mentioned in this law. But even if it would work out as planned, this law obviously just applies to companies with a German office / server location.
Like Merkal craking down on media reporting on situations like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM2XVK1a3dU

How does reporting Who , What , When and Where correlate to being classified as hate speech ?

Where places like Sweden and other EU members have followed suit .

Steve Hughs

Skism
x3tc

Post by Skism » Sun, 7. Jan 18, 03:43

felter wrote:So I stumbled onto this video, Putin Style. Now it left me wondering, what the hell do they close the city down whenever he wants to go some place, as there are no other vehicles or people apart from military in the video. Then I got to the end of it where he is walking into the room with all the other people eagerly awaiting him, as he walks in he tries to give it a swagger trying to probably make himself look tough, but to me he looks so effeminate as he swings his hips to and fro. :twisted:
Er he does not look effeminate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... X6ebzLQdy4

This is effeminacy or effeminate behavior.

(actually its a parody but still)

You have to hand it to Putin - The man has style.

He even shakes the man of his subordinates.
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest."

-Thomas Paine-

The Q
Pancake Award Winner 2017

Post by The Q » Sun, 7. Jan 18, 12:10

@Tracker
I'm afraid but your train of thought is as clear as your quotation of my post.

None of the links you provided has again anything to do with NetzDG or with Net Neutrality. Being offended and being threatened are two totally different things. And again threatening people is and always has been a crime in Germany. Reading this Wikipedia article, it appears to be the same in the USA. As for the Who/What/When/Where question, these are exactly the questions you have to answer when filing a charge for whatever crime.
Morkonan, Emperor of the Unaffiliated Territories of the Principality of OFF-TOPIC, wrote:I have come to answer your questions! The answers are "Yes" and "Probably" as well as "No" and "Maybe", but I'm not sure in which order they should be given.
xkcd: Duty calls

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 8. Jan 18, 18:44

Oprah Winfrey actively thinking about running for U.S. President

Does Canada have beaches?

With sand on them?

Without polar bears?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 8. Jan 18, 22:16

She can't do a worse job than the current incumbent, surely?

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 8. Jan 18, 23:13

Just what we need, another celebrity with absolutely zero government service experience thinking they can run the country. :roll:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Mon, 8. Jan 18, 23:20

TBF I think its a case of peopel projecting than her being actually up for it. Still its ironic that people instead of learning from past mistakes, decided to double down on it. Maybe THIS time it will be good. :roll:

Do you know the definition of insanity (strong language)

MFG

Ketraar

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 9. Jan 18, 08:31

pjknibbs wrote:She can't do a worse job than the current incumbent, surely?
Uh... Wasn't that the reason people gave for electing the current incumbent?

Isn't that always the reason? :)

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Tue, 9. Jan 18, 12:13

No, she can't do a worse job than the incumbent. However, I suspect that this is setting the bar incredibly low . . .
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 9. Jan 18, 21:13

Usenko wrote:No, she can't do a worse job than the incumbent. However, I suspect that this is setting the bar incredibly low . . .
Th-th-there's a "bar?"

This just in: Kodak moves into the blockchain realm.

This is a bigger deal than one might think. No, I don't think Kodak is going to be issuing Kodakoins.

What they are going to do, however, is to apply blockchain technology to help manage image rights.

You create a funny post and decide you're going to embed an image. You rush out and find a funny picture using Google's image search and embed the link and post your funny junk. The forum software dutifully loads up that image, everyone laughs, and you make Internetz History.

It's free, you're not making any money from it, nobody is paying Egosoft to visit the forums to gander at pics and the picture was just sitting there, in the net, so you used it. That's fine, really.

BUT, then there's the people who make money from other people's work without paying them for that work. They grab a pic off the net and slap it on their website, not thinking that the photographer or creator created that product for sale and consumption, not for free use.

Image searchers have recently incorporated search standards which specifically differentiate between free and commercial pictures. But, they suck. They're unreliable and, to be honest, you never know if the person who is selling the picture actually has the rights to do so.

I use a lot of "textures" in my little 3D hobby. If I make something for someone else, I pay very close attention to usage rights. Strict attention. Why? Those creators deserve to get paid if they wanted to get paid for their work. I do create my own textures and materials, but there are times when I need something quickly. Thank you internetz...

This technology could be used to help manage usage rights for any picture. Or, perhaps, any digital product... Anyone think of that? (I just did... Maybe Kodak did, too?)

Images for sale commonly have watermarks or are presented in a preview version that isn't suitable for professional use. They can also use embedded "watermark" tech, like a digital signature. They can have meta-information and all sorts of crap "inside" them. In fact, digital standards allow for a wide variety of invisible information to be included in digital pictures. The sky is literally only limited by how big you want that image file to be. (Though, there can be "out of range" errors for certain functions. You won't be embedding an entire game in a standard jpg without problems.)

But NONE of it helps to manage usage rights if the person looking at it doesn't care. And, it can all be changed with the appropriate software.

But this... This could be the beginning of the "face of tomorrow" when it comes down to commercial images. Seriously, it's A Big Deal ™ and it has a company with a well-respected name taking up its cause.

Smart people have seen the advantages of this and the stock has shot up 40%. Granted, it probably had some headroom to begin with, but now? Forty-percent is forty-percent and you can spend that. If they handle this smartly, which I think they just might, you could end up seeing Kodak Digital Rights Management symbols on every professional, commercial, digital image.

PS - For the curious, this is a perfect example of how innovation and technology can be used to create new products, even those that lie outside of the original intent of the technology.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Wed, 10. Jan 18, 13:42

It looks like certain roller coasters can be used to pass kidney stones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Thund ... ney_stones

In the October 2016 Journal of the American Osteopathic Association, a paper entitled "Validation of a Functional Pyelocalyceal Renal Model for the Evaluation of Renal Calculi Passage While Riding a Roller Coaster" was published.[3] The paper's author, Dr. Wartinger, found that patients of his had passed kidney stones after riding Big Thunder Mountain Railroad at Walt Disney World on vacation, including one who passed three stones on three separate occasions. The doctor then tested this result, with the permission of Disney, with a 3D model of a kidney by riding the ride over 20 times. The study found nearly 70% of the time, the kidney stone was passed, with results varying depending on which row they were in.[3][4] The study also found that the Space Mountain and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith failed to cause this result.[5]

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 10. Jan 18, 18:43

burger1 wrote:It looks like certain roller coasters can be used to pass kidney stones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Thund ... ney_stones ...
I remember reading about this. It's pretty darn cool, considering that some people can have a really hard time with these things. I keep forgetting to tell a friend of mine that has had some issues, from time to time. Thanks for the reminder!

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Thu, 11. Jan 18, 16:53

The new Us ambassador to the Netherlands claimed in 2015 that there are No-Go zones in the Netherlands where Islamists burn dutch politicians alive. When asked about it by the dutch media he refused to answer.....only problem was that the dutch media didn't stop asking. What followed was odd and somewhat funny.

https://twitter.com/RGjournalist/status ... 6325002240 (you may need to turn on the sound, bottom right corner of the video player.)
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Tracker001
x3tc

Post by Tracker001 » Sat, 13. Jan 18, 04:52

What happens when you get an atheist and a christian together to discuss the teachers of Jesus Christ, where they agree and where they disagree? Stefan Molyneux and Dr Duke Pesta discuss why Christianity promotes free will, compulsion in matters of virtue, the politicization of modern religion, why atheism trends towards collectivism and much much more!

Stefan Molyneux : Stefan Molyneux (born 1966) is an Irish-Canadian political activist, amateur philosopher and and YouTube personality. Since 2005, he is the host of Freedomain Radio, a bastardization of FDR's initials podcast where he discusses philosophy, libertarianism, anarcho-capitalism, atheism, science and relationships.

Dr. Duke Pesta : received his M.A. in Renaissance literature from John Carroll University and his Ph.D. in Shakespeare and Renaissance literature from Purdue University. He is a professor of English at the University of Wisconsin, Oshkosh and the Academic Director of Freedom Education Project.
What Jesus Christ Said | Duke Pesta and Stefan Molyneux <>Conversation

Interesting Hour and a quarter .

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 13. Jan 18, 20:06

The people of Hawaii in the United States just got warned of an "Incoming Ballistic Missile Threat" through the State's Civil Defense system and its social media, cellphone, network. Every cellphone in Hawaii received the text warning, advising them to immediately seek shelter and that "This is not a test."

It was a false alarm, a mistake in the system during a test. Or, something like that. Events still unfolding.

Edit:Update

It appears it was a false alarm generated during a shift change. According to statements, there is a procedure that takes place at shift change involving instructions on how to activate the system for the arriving shift. Instead of being a test, it was actually "live." It took over half-an-hour for official statements to be made informing the public it was a false alarm. There are around 1.5 million people living in Hawaii and the message was transmitted to all cell-phones capable of receiving a text message...

This will significantly impact public opinion regarding North Korea and its nuclear program, no doubt about it. What that opinion will be as to what course should be taken is anyone's guess, though.

Update: pic

[ external image ]

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 13. Jan 18, 23:01

... or to put it another way - the unannounced test of the warning system was very successful.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 14. Jan 18, 06:22

Morkonan wrote: This will significantly impact public opinion regarding North Korea and its nuclear program, no doubt about it. What that opinion will be as to what course should be taken is anyone's guess, though.
Er, why would it do that when it was a false alarm? Was it North Korean interference that caused the false alarm in the first place?

Grim Lock
x4

Post by Grim Lock » Sun, 14. Jan 18, 11:50

Not news but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAb8KIhgVAI

For your enjoyment, i found it hilarious!
Megatron: "You don't scare me, you mechanical throwbacks!"
GrimLock: "Good Megatron, we love stupid enemies"

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Sun, 14. Jan 18, 18:00

pjknibbs wrote:
Morkonan wrote:This will significantly impact public opinion regarding North Korea and its nuclear program, no doubt about it. What that opinion will be as to what course should be taken is anyone's guess, though.
Er, why would it do that when it was a false alarm? Was it North Korean interference that caused the false alarm in the first place?
I'm not so sure about that. Folks have just had the crud scared out of them. Rational thought may well have just taken a holiday. :(

Return to “Off Topic English”