The Witcher 3... So... Cyberpunk 2077

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Jericho
x2

The Witcher 3... So... Cyberpunk 2077

Post by Jericho » Mon, 20. Nov 17, 11:18

Possibly controversial... I appear to be the only person that doesn't really like The Witcher 3...

There, I've said it.

I loved the first game. It had an odd start where I was thrown into the middle of the story as if I'm supposed to know all these people, and know what has happened to Geralt etc. True, there were too many missions in that bloody swamp... But it was a wonderful game (I liked the timed combat clicks, felt more skillful then just mashing left-mouse like we have now).

I thought that The Witcher 2 was unremarkable and forgettable.

Witcher 3 looks wonderful... Sort of... I find the faces to be too pink (not my monitor I don't think). At 60FPS, Geralt's hair has a life of its own, and he constantly looks like his at a photoshoot with a giant fan blowing in his face as his hair flaps around. In doors. All the time. Along with any flaps of loose clothing.

The voice acting is a mixed bag... The primary stuff obviously had direction. The background stuff and smaller missions clearly didn't have much direction and so the wrong inflections on words (which always annoys me when a response or sentence doesn't make sense because of their inflection/pronunciation)

But the whole stupid map covered in icons, an 'event' every 7 feet that has no impact on the fours others within spitting distance...

And the Witcher-Sense mode (Or Batman Detective Mode) makes me feel queasy as the perspective changes and I get stuck on furniture.

Also, Geralt's thoughts and talking to himself has turned him into a parody of himself. Sometimes feels like I'm playing Max Payne 2 with the over-the-top self reflection.

Part of the problem is 'me'... I don't like leaving things uncompleted... And there are so many things to do because you are supposed to pick and choose... Well I can't pick and choose... I try to do it all...

The one thing the game does well is that it doesn't feel like other modern open-world games. With other games it always feels like "OK, I'm in this spot, lets speak to all the people over there and get these 20 quests done, then I can move onto the next area." Carpet bombing.

Whereas Witcher 3, it always feels like I'm going somewhere for a specific reason.

So I just don't know what to think about Cyberpunk2077 as CDProjektRed are starting to release the odd statement. It's going to be bigger than Witcher 3!!!!!! Really? Does it need to be? No one is looking at Witcher 3 and thinking "No room to swing a cat..."
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Mon, 20. Nov 17, 13:00

It's strange but for me it was quite the reverse: I did not like the first Witcher because of the combat control. So I gave the hard copy to my son who loved the game.

After many years my son gave The Witcher 3 (including all DLCs) to me a s a Christmas present. At first I was reluctant to even download it but eventually I gave in and had a go.

It was the right decision: The Witcher 3 was so different not only the graphics (really nice) but also the combat control. I never felt that it's only mashing lmb in particular with all the other special attacks.

Concerning the quests/missions: Yes, I do agree here. Moving like 50 meters and get 10 new quests none of which are in the same area. But I'm like you Jericho, I had to try to do them all :-)

In fact, with my very first toon I managed to do them all, visited all the little islands, checked out all icons even in the middle of nowhere to picked up some pirate loot and shot some angry fish with a crossbow.

So yes, I've spent many hours in W3 and out of curiosity I've downloaded the original Witcher (improved version) and W2 just to get the complete story line (and still, I did not like the first two).

Looking forward to Cyberpunk ... if it going to be released ever :p

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 20. Nov 17, 13:25

I liked the quest layout of W3, but then, I'm not one who really feels you have to 100% a game--I found it fairly easy to ignore all those little question marks, just doing the ones that I naturally passed near while travelling. For that reason I would sometimes, rather than fast travelling, just go on horseback to my destination with the idea of investigating anything I went near. One thing I really can't stand (either in real life or in games) is wandering around with no clear idea of where I'm going or what I plan to do when I get there, so just exploring for exploring's sake is not something I do.

What I didn't like about it, and which I hope isn't the case in Cyberpunk 2077, is that there was really only one way to play the game, e.g. hitting opponents with sharp bits of metal. Crossbow and magic skills didn't do enough damage to make them primary weapons. Now, obviously their hands were tied a bit because they were interpreting a character who canonically uses swords, so I'm hoping they include a decent and varied character progression system in 2077 that *does* allow me to choose to be a ranged character if I want.

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Mon, 20. Nov 17, 14:03

pjknibbs wrote: so I'm hoping they include a decent and varied character progression system in 2077 that *does* allow me to choose to be a ranged character if I want.
I'm hoping for a some kind of hacking god that uses guns...
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Mon, 20. Nov 17, 16:57

Jericho wrote:
pjknibbs wrote: so I'm hoping they include a decent and varied character progression system in 2077 that *does* allow me to choose to be a ranged character if I want.
https://pre00.deviantart.net/087f/th/pr ... aohh2e.jpg

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Mon, 20. Nov 17, 17:00

Antilogic wrote:
Jericho wrote:
https://pre00.deviantart.net/087f/th/pr ... aohh2e.jpg
It's deviant-art, so I won't look at it on this work computer, thanks ;) I'll wait until I get home.

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Mon, 20. Nov 17, 17:03

SFW, direct link.

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/heroes/sombra/ char page I was referring to if you want another though. Less cool though.

Incubi
xr

Post by Incubi » Mon, 20. Nov 17, 22:48

If Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be open world with factions and the ability to choose the type of character you play, the world will need to be huge. I suppose it depends on how linear the story is. I am hoping for a more open and huge world where I can live out my Cyberpunk fantasies this side of affording a plane ticket to Tokyo.

That said, I am getting concerned about it becoming vaporware.

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Tue, 21. Nov 17, 10:42

Incubi wrote:
That said, I am getting concerned about it becoming vaporware.
They are a relatively small company with few other products, it's Cyberpunk or closure. They're just taking their time. I vaguely recall hearing that the only reason they released that trailer all those years ago was because of some trademark thing where they had to use it or potential lose it... A bit like the recent Fantastic Four film (Make a film or lose the rights...) I think they regretted releasing information so soon as they had no game at that stage, still working on Witcher...

Don't worry, they'll be bought by EA soon enough, and you can loot-crate your finger-mods...

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 21. Nov 17, 12:14

Jericho wrote: They are a relatively small company with few other products, it's Cyberpunk or closure.
They're really not that small--they have around 700 employees according to Wikipedia, and don't forget they also own and run GOG.com, which I believe has been a reasonably successful business.

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Tue, 21. Nov 17, 15:25

pjknibbs wrote:
Jericho wrote: They are a relatively small company with few other products, it's Cyberpunk or closure.
They're really not that small--they have around 700 employees according to Wikipedia, and don't forget they also own and run GOG.com, which I believe has been a reasonably successful business.
I thought that there were different colors, and CD Projekt Red were the Witcher/Cyberpunk team, while other colors do other stuff? Also, I had no idea that they'd grown to 700! I guess I thought they'd hired 2 people since their Witcher 1 days :o

I also forgot to mention: I don't really like Geralt in Witcher 3... He's become very preachy and judgemental...

(Also, never google Geralt's voice actor... You'll never be able to take Geralt seriously after you see his picture... Kind of like the time Mark Meer had his picture taken in NZ armor for Mass Effect cosplay and you think "Yeah, you're not Shepard. Jennifer Hale can pull that off... You can't."

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 21. Nov 17, 15:55

CD Projekt was originally a game distributor and publisher--they decided to create CD Projekt Red as an in-house game development studio in order to produce the first Witcher game. However, it's all a lot more tightly knit than EA's studios, so I don't see them jettisoning the software development side anytime soon.

kohlrak

Post by kohlrak » Thu, 4. Jan 18, 04:32

pjknibbs wrote:I liked the quest layout of W3, but then, I'm not one who really feels you have to 100% a game--I found it fairly easy to ignore all those little question marks, just doing the ones that I naturally passed near while travelling. For that reason I would sometimes, rather than fast travelling, just go on horseback to my destination with the idea of investigating anything I went near. One thing I really can't stand (either in real life or in games) is wandering around with no clear idea of where I'm going or what I plan to do when I get there, so just exploring for exploring's sake is not something I do.

What I didn't like about it, and which I hope isn't the case in Cyberpunk 2077, is that there was really only one way to play the game, e.g. hitting opponents with sharp bits of metal. Crossbow and magic skills didn't do enough damage to make them primary weapons. Now, obviously their hands were tied a bit because they were interpreting a character who canonically uses swords, so I'm hoping they include a decent and varied character progression system in 2077 that *does* allow me to choose to be a ranged character if I want.
I was disappointed, too, but then i remembered that it's a narrative story in a semi-sandbox world, and the character I play as is not my avatar. I'm willing to complain about it in other games, but remember, the focus on sword play is important to the story. It is based on a book, after all. Now, to be fair, I wouldn't mind a custom galaxy mode where you get to play as a witch or something, but we need to remember that Geralt is a Witcher, meaning he has magic for the sake of having a backup plan to battle witches long enough to get in close and switch to the sword.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 4. Jan 18, 09:31

Um, yes, I did acknowledge that their hands were tied because of us having to play Geralt of Rivia? I merely hope that we don't have similar restrictions in Cyberpunk 2077, which is their own IP so their hands aren't tied anymore.

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Thu, 4. Jan 18, 09:40

pjknibbs wrote:Um, yes, I did acknowledge that their hands were tied because of us having to play Geralt of Rivia? I merely hope that we don't have similar restrictions in Cyberpunk 2077, which is their own IP so their hands aren't tied anymore.
It isn't their IP though. It's based on Cyberpunk 2020 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk_2020 Regardless, there is likely no main protagonist... Unless CDPR decide there will be.

greypanther
x3ap

Re: The Witcher 3... So... Cyberpunk 2077

Post by greypanther » Thu, 4. Jan 18, 21:29

Jericho wrote:Possibly controversial... I appear to be the only person that doesn't really like The Witcher 3...
No not the only, though I have never bothered with it having decided Witcher 2 was rubbish, so will avoid. I hope Cyberpunk is better, but will wait a long while and think about buying for a long while. :roll:
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

pjknibbs
x4

Re: The Witcher 3... So... Cyberpunk 2077

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 4. Jan 18, 22:38

greypanther wrote: No not the only, though I have never bothered with it having decided Witcher 2 was rubbish
Deciding Witcher 3 is rubbish because you didn't like Witcher 2 is like deciding to not play Skyrim because you didn't like Daggerfall; the two games are so utterly different that you simply can't reliably make that judgement. Unless you decided Witcher 2 was rubbish because you didn't like the main character, of course, since he's about the only thing carried over between the games!

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Fri, 5. Jan 18, 12:24

In fact no I did not like the main character at all, maybe I was too quick to judge, nor did I like the whole feel of the game for want of a better description. I also did not like the combat system.

I did look at 3 on You Tube and it seemed to be more of the same, so I avoided it.

In what way does 3 improve on 2?
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 5. Jan 18, 12:52

Well, the combat system is definitely not the same--the one in 3 is less "twitchy" and more RPG-like. (I found I had to use a controller for 2 because the fights were so frenetic, whereas mouse and keyboard was fine for 3). The game itself is a giant open world instead of the rather linear and restricted 2. Oh, and you definitely don't get any stupidly terrible fights like the one against the hydra-headed thing from 2.

One other thing which is done much better: tutorials! 2 dropped you pretty much in the deep end, with your very first fight being a major castle siege including a dragon. 3 eases you in much more gently, with an entire tutorial area to explore and quest in before moving on to the game's main zones.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Wed, 10. Jan 18, 21:43

I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Return to “Off Topic English”