EnglishGermanFrenchRussianItalianSpanish
Log inRegister
 
Give it another try
Post new topic Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Author Message
RainerPrem



MEDALMEDALMEDAL

Joined: 18 Jan 2006
Posts: 1402 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Thu, 4. Jan 18, 06:08    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Hi,

started a new game (HoL, difficult level). It runs rather smoothly. Bought some M freighters first an took each and every station building mission I could get. Now I'm about to write a program to display all those missions ordered by sector and type of station.

In the meantime I'm building one station, having assigned all the small freighters to the station and have a small fleet of Rahanases and a Titurel(courtesy Atlas pirates) for trading.

I spent a whole of six game hours opening lockboxes in Nirin Treaty and got a total of 70+ Millions from it. Boring, but profitable.

At the moment it looks as if the warehouses in HoL and Cold Star offer more unique missions than other stations - or they can be found more easily.

Still no single authentic spacefly egg. Sad

cu
Rainer

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RainerPrem



MEDALMEDALMEDAL

Joined: 18 Jan 2006
Posts: 1402 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Mon, 22. Jan 18, 06:54    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Hi,

three game days in I want to finish the "Diplomacy" Mission series in Cold Star. The first mission of the second part is an escort mission from Philae to longest reign.

The first attempt failed disastrously. Immediately after the start no less than ten fighters showed up, and while I killed five of them the other five killed the freighter.

When I tried it for the second time I had my newly boarded Olmekron close by, but it wasn't needed, since the freighter kept close to the station until all fighters were killed by the station. But when we reached Longest reign, another ten fighters showed up, there wasn't a station close by, and my mighty Olmekron was still lingering in Philae.

So is there a trick apart from putting another destroyer close to the spawn point of those second bunch of fighters? Will that even work?

cu
Rainer

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Requiemfang





Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 2744 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Mon, 22. Jan 18, 08:27    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Swarm missiles I've used in missions where there are A lot of enemy fighters. If you play unmodded Astro's will work pretty well. Depending on how many enemies there are I've used up my whole supply before Laughing

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RainerPrem



MEDALMEDALMEDAL

Joined: 18 Jan 2006
Posts: 1402 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Mon, 22. Jan 18, 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Requiemfang wrote:
Swarm missiles I've used in missions where there are A lot of enemy fighters. If you play unmodded Astro's will work pretty well. Depending on how many enemies there are I've used up my whole supply before Laughing


Hi,

But they only have a range of 5km or so. That means I need to fly dab into the middle of that swarm of fighters, hitting r as fast as possible?

cu
Rainer

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Requiemfang





Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 2744 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Mon, 22. Jan 18, 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

pretty much, I've done it before, once you run out of missiles as I have before during those situations I just finish up the survivors with the other ship weapons.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RainerPrem



MEDALMEDALMEDAL

Joined: 18 Jan 2006
Posts: 1402 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Tue, 23. Jan 18, 08:22    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Requiemfang wrote:
pretty much, I've done it before, once you run out of missiles as I have before during those situations I just finish up the survivors with the other ship weapons.


I must be doing something wrong. While I killed five or six of them with missiles (I always carry ~80 Astrobees) two of the fighters flew straight to the freighter and killed it within seconds.

cu
Rainer

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RAVEN.myst





Joined: 20 Jun 2011
Posts: 2572 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Tue, 23. Jan 18, 13:02    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I can only also suggest launching a few fighter URVs, to hopefully distract a couple more of the enemies. I personally don't like the escort missions for precisely the same reason that you're struggling here - ridiculously bad odds, and your ward has no self-preservation instinct or training.

There is one workaround that I've found effective, but it's pretty cheaty in my opinion:
Spoiler

I've found that it often works to be nowhere near the action - in this situation (OoZ), the protege seems more willing to use his/her booster, and tends to survive longer in general. I haven't tested this in 4.30, though, so I don't know whether the behaviours are still the same.
Spoiler



_________________
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)



Joined: 15 May 2003
Posts: 25953 on topic
Location: In the X-Universe spanning two millenia
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Tue, 23. Jan 18, 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I don't think Egosoft has ever figured out how to balance escort missions. In past games, once your fight rank got up there a bit, you'd get M7's, M8's, and even larger ships going after the poor TS you're trying to save. Those missions are simply impossible. Let's hope they do a better job of it in the next game.


_________________
Having an Acronym Attack? See the Ego FAQ. Also now for Terran Conflict and Albion Prelude.
NOT an Egosoft employee.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Requiemfang





Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 2744 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Tue, 23. Jan 18, 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Nanook wrote:
I don't think Egosoft has ever figured out how to balance escort missions. In past games, once your fight rank got up there a bit, you'd get M7's, M8's, and even larger ships going after the poor TS you're trying to save. Those missions are simply impossible. Let's hope they do a better job of it in the next game.


It's too bad the missions are limited to M sized freighters and don't encompass the use of L sized. Sure the L sized ships have some teeth on them but compared to some of the things the MD throws at you and the poor freighter at leas the L ships will last longer unless the MD throws a freaking destroyer at you.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RainerPrem



MEDALMEDALMEDAL

Joined: 18 Jan 2006
Posts: 1402 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Wed, 24. Jan 18, 07:02    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

RAVEN.myst wrote:
I can only also suggest launching a few fighter URVs, to hopefully distract a couple more of the enemies. I personally don't like the escort missions for precisely the same reason that you're struggling here - ridiculously bad odds, and your ward has no self-preservation instinct or training.

There is one workaround that I've found effective, but it's pretty cheaty in my opinion:
Spoiler

I've found that it often works to be nowhere near the action - in this situation (OoZ), the protege seems more willing to use his/her booster, and tends to survive longer in general. I haven't tested this in 4.30, though, so I don't know whether the behaviours are still the same.
Spoiler


Regarding your spoiler: AFAIK M-Freighters don't have boosters. But I'll try your trick.

cu
Rainer

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Requiemfang





Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 2744 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Wed, 24. Jan 18, 08:58    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

RainerPrem wrote:
RAVEN.myst wrote:
I can only also suggest launching a few fighter URVs, to hopefully distract a couple more of the enemies. I personally don't like the escort missions for precisely the same reason that you're struggling here - ridiculously bad odds, and your ward has no self-preservation instinct or training.

There is one workaround that I've found effective, but it's pretty cheaty in my opinion:
Spoiler

I've found that it often works to be nowhere near the action - in this situation (OoZ), the protege seems more willing to use his/her booster, and tends to survive longer in general. I haven't tested this in 4.30, though, so I don't know whether the behaviours are still the same.
Spoiler


Regarding your spoiler: AFAIK M-Freighters don't have boosters. But I'll try your trick.

cu
Rainer


Odd cause I see freighters use boosters all the time when I fire at them. All ships in XR have boosters the AI just sometimes doesn't use them on specific ships. In the case of boosters on M-class freighters I think it's a mission specific thing.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RainerPrem



MEDALMEDALMEDAL

Joined: 18 Jan 2006
Posts: 1402 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Wed, 24. Jan 18, 11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Nanook wrote:
I don't think Egosoft has ever figured out how to balance escort missions. In past games, once your fight rank got up there a bit, you'd get M7's, M8's, and even larger ships going after the poor TS you're trying to save. Those missions are simply impossible. Let's hope they do a better job of it in the next game.


Hi,

Are there any escort missions in X3* ? I can't remember.

In XR it should be possible to order my squad to "follow me closely". After they cross the whole universe to come to me wherever I am, they stay at that point until I enter another (named) zone. Correct? Or is there another possibility?

cu
Rainer

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ezarkal





Joined: 22 Apr 2015

Location: Somewhere in my head

PostPosted: Wed, 24. Jan 18, 15:57    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

The only ways I found to do these missions are
-Take the missions in major NPC strongholds, where the local forces will help take down the pirates
-Figure out where the transport is heading and place significant amounts of your own forces along the way before you get there (the ship you escort stops moving if you're too far away. Use that to get your forces in place)
OR
-To play at a difficulty level where railgunning everything before it gets in range is an option. Weapon mods that increase range and cooling rate are very helpful for that.

That being said, ever since they upgrade the freighter's speed, these missions are way easier than they used to be. At least you now have a chance the freighter will get in range of a friendly station before the attackers reach him.


_________________
"I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...
I'm saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem solve itself out."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Requiemfang





Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 2744 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Wed, 24. Jan 18, 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

RainerPrem wrote:
Nanook wrote:
I don't think Egosoft has ever figured out how to balance escort missions. In past games, once your fight rank got up there a bit, you'd get M7's, M8's, and even larger ships going after the poor TS you're trying to save. Those missions are simply impossible. Let's hope they do a better job of it in the next game.


Hi,

Are there any escort missions in X3* ? I can't remember.

In XR it should be possible to order my squad to "follow me closely". After they cross the whole universe to come to me wherever I am, they stay at that point until I enter another (named) zone. Correct? Or is there another possibility?

cu
Rainer


yeah there were TS escort missions in X3 and once your fight rank was WAY up there it was a complete circus with what was sent against you while doing those missions.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RainerPrem



MEDALMEDALMEDAL

Joined: 18 Jan 2006
Posts: 1402 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Sat, 27. Jan 18, 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Hi,

new question: There is a Steam achievement called "We Only Slowed Them (Hard). Help take out key Xenon facilities on Hard difficulty."

What do I have to do to achieve that?

cu
Rainer

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
Control Panel
Login Data
The time now is Wed, 18. Jul 18, 03:03

All times are GMT + 2 Hours

[ Disclaimer / Impressum ] | [ Privacy Policy / Datenschutz ]

Board Security

Copyright © EGOSOFT 1989-2018
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Template created by Avatar & BurnIt!
Debug: page generation = 0.17944 seconds, sql queries = 29