Player Character customization

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Kinscar
x4

Player Character customization

Post by Kinscar » Wed, 3. Jan 18, 13:48

I've lurked and lurked but I've yet to find any information on this, I'm sorry if it's been addressed but will there be any way to customize your character with different clothes/uniforms/EVA-suits etc? Maybe a way to cycle between the available character model heads that exists in the game?

I know your game start will determine WHAT you are but not WHO you are if that makes sense.

Is your look entirely determined by the start or will there be way to alter it slightly?

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Wed, 3. Jan 18, 16:27

Imo, a male/female switch would be enough. Maybe hair colour options.

But since this game's avatar won't actually represent you, unlike in multiplayer games, I see no point in having an advanced character customization option.

PabloRSA
x4

Post by PabloRSA » Wed, 3. Jan 18, 18:22

If it did, I would be ok with a set of 10-20 predefined heads, maybe all the nps heads in game.
Just make us wear gloves and we can choose teladi head and think we are teladi "without a tail", or split.

or better yet, just assign a skin id to player own body and load the nps skin from head to toe.

nemesis1982
x4

Post by nemesis1982 » Wed, 3. Jan 18, 18:37

I for one really hope they do not waste their time on something as trivial as what the avatar is wearing or what head he/she/it has. I prefer them making sure all the new mechanics are qorking properly. If there is anytime left there are many sustantial things to add before anything else, Borom\Split\Terrans for one.
Save game editor XR and CAT/DAT Extractor
Keep in mind that it's still a work in progress although it's taking shape nicely.

If anyone is interested in a new save game editor for X4 and would like to contribute to the creation of one let me know. I do not have sufficient time to create it alone, but if there are enough people who want it and want to contribute we might be able to set something up.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Wed, 3. Jan 18, 21:00

i think the X Rebirth Player Avatar is completely fine :D
Spoiler
Show
its a 1cm³ floating Cube :D you can see this when thoroughy looking for your shadow
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Thu, 4. Jan 18, 03:10

UniTrader wrote:i think the X Rebirth Player Avatar is completely fine :D
Spoiler
Show
its a 1cm³ floating Cube :D you can see this when thoroughy looking for your shadow
That always bothered me... no shadow, no feet or torso to see when you look down... yeah... I mean geez...

Rob Allen
x4

Re: Player Character customization

Post by Rob Allen » Thu, 28. Jan 21, 03:29

I figured out a way to change your character model to some degree. It involves editing your save file, but it is doable. For this you will need a robust xml editor that can handle large file sizes, or a hex editor.

1. Go to your saves folder (Usually in Documents\Egosoft\X4\<number>\save
2. Open the file corresponding to the save you want to edit using a zip program like 7zip. Make a backup first to be safe.
3. Extract the xml file to your desktop or wherever you want to work on it at
4. Open the extracted xml file using your xml editor or a hex editor
5. In the editor, search for component class="player" to put you in the right place.
You should see macro="character_player_discover_macro" or something similar. This is the macro that contains your character model.
6. Replace character_player_discover_macro with the macro you want to use, making sure to keep the "s intact. I'll attach a list below.
7. Save the file
8. Remember step 2? Open that file again (if you closed it), and replace the xml file with the new one you just edited. Close the file when done.
9. Load the save in game and see if it worked.

Here is a list of player character model macros, datamined from the game files:
Spoiler
Show
character_player_tutorial_macro (Male Human)
character_player_trade_macro (Teladi)
character_player_fight_macro (Paranid)
character_player_discover_macro (Female Human)
character_player_scientist_macro (Female Human)
character_player_pirate_macro (Split)
character_player_scenario_combat_argon_macro (Male Human)
character_player_scenario_advanced_argon_macro (Male Human)
character_player_custom_f_afr_macro (Female Human)
character_player_custom_f_asi_macro (Female Human)
character_player_custom_m_afr_macr (Male Human)
character_player_custom_m_asi_macro (Male Human)
I think this is all of the player models. There are many more character model macros, but trying to use these seems to break the save, so it's not recommended to do so. The ones I listed here have all been tested and work. I have added basic notes in parenthesis to each one to give you an idea of what they look like. If anyone finds more, post them here.

Bozz11
x4

Post by Bozz11 » Thu, 28. Jan 21, 08:24

this could be cool and add more stuff into the game (changing clothes etc... ) add more immersion but only if the game allowed you to play in 3rd person while using your legs if it remains 1st person there is really no point in customizing your avatar other than chosing the gender which would be nice, I don't want to play as a woman ((because I'm a man :) no sexism or anything I just wanna play the explorer start as me :lol:

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Thu, 28. Jan 21, 08:38

Bozz11 wrote:
Thu, 28. Jan 21, 08:24
this could be cool and add more stuff into the game (changing clothes etc... ) add more immersion but only if the game allowed you to play in 3rd person while using your legs if it remains 1st person there is really no point in customizing your avatar other than chosing the gender which would be nice, I don't want to play as a woman ((because I'm a man :) no sexism or anything I just wanna play the explorer start as me :lol:
There are a few cut-scenes where you see your own character. I would love to have a better looking character for those.

Bozz11
x4

Post by Bozz11 » Thu, 28. Jan 21, 08:40

Roeleveld wrote:
Thu, 28. Jan 21, 08:38
Bozz11 wrote:
Thu, 28. Jan 21, 08:24
There are a few cut-scenes where you see your own character. I would love to have a better looking character for those.
true !! that shit killed me the first time, I thought I was playing a man and saw 2 woman talking I was like "wtf I'm a woman" :mrgreen: broke my immersion, had to rename my character :)

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Thu, 28. Jan 21, 10:10

Bozz11 wrote:
Thu, 28. Jan 21, 08:40

true !! that shit killed me the first time, I thought I was playing a man and saw 2 woman talking I was like "wtf I'm a woman" :mrgreen: broke my immersion, had to rename my character :)
Not to mention your NPC's referring you as "Maam"!!!
Of course this does not change the poor image we get for Argon characters and I suppose it will be continued in the Terrans too...

Provoid
x4

Post by Provoid » Mon, 1. Feb 21, 12:45

Yes! Please let us choose gender or add new gamestarts for both genders.

Fulgrymm
x4

Post by Fulgrymm » Mon, 1. Feb 21, 13:41

Oh good lordy, next you'll all be wanting RPG mechanics for your character. JK I agree that some degree of customization would be nice.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Mon, 1. Feb 21, 13:43

Provoid wrote:
Mon, 1. Feb 21, 12:45
This will happen when (and if) the Custom gamestart will be implemented. That said, the ludicrous (at best) design of the Argon (and I suppose also Terran) characters does not change by this...

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Mon, 1. Feb 21, 13:45

Fulgrymm wrote:
Mon, 1. Feb 21, 13:41
Oh good lordy, next you'll all be wanting RPG mechanics for your character. JK I agree that some degree of customization would be nice.
Nahhh... just bearable Argon characters will do at the moment...

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Mon, 1. Feb 21, 15:47

dtpsprt wrote:
Mon, 1. Feb 21, 13:45
Fulgrymm wrote:
Mon, 1. Feb 21, 13:41
Nahhh... just bearable Argon characters will do at the moment...
Yes please, anything is better than extra's from a zombie movie :lol:

I do like that some of the NPCs are actually using the benches found on docking platforms instead of just standing everywhere.

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Mon, 1. Feb 21, 16:23

read somewhere here there is a hidden start, that lets you choose all kinds of things, race, gender, faction relationships, research done and HQ etc....

a mod unlocks it, so ego is making it, just not done yet
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

Jeraal
x4

Post by Jeraal » Mon, 1. Feb 21, 16:27

I always hire Split females with specific hair styles as crew for the ships I'll be in. They look better than the humans.
Brute force and ignorance solves all problems, just not very efficiently.

If brute force isn't working, then you aren't using enough.

Provoid
x4

Post by Provoid » Tue, 2. Feb 21, 01:07

dtpsprt wrote:
Mon, 1. Feb 21, 13:43
Provoid wrote:
This will happen when (and if) the Custom gamestart will be implemented. That said, the ludicrous (at best) design of the Argon (and I suppose also Terran) characters does not change by this...
I personally do not care how the characters look like. A cube would do it for me 😀 . But finding out, after several (hundreds) hours of gameplay, that I play a female character, is somewhat disappointing. Right now, the only way to know the character gender, would be by trial and error.

Teladi CEO

Post by Teladi CEO » Tue, 2. Feb 21, 01:18

Provoid wrote:
Tue, 2. Feb 21, 01:07
dtpsprt wrote:
Mon, 1. Feb 21, 13:43
Provoid wrote:
I personally do not care how the characters look like. A cube would do it for me 😀 . But finding out, after several (hundreds) hours of gameplay, that I play a female character, is somewhat disappointing. Right now, the only way to know the character gender, would be by trial and error.
When you click a character to start a voice should start talking, unless someone skips it it makes it fairly clear who the gender is. The only start that isn’t clear is the Teladi start, but Teladi are all female besides for those born on their homeworld.
We don’t know what paradise is like, but probably it’s blue magenta, flecked with pink. But even if it’s green and red-checked we should make the most of it. -Boron saying

Return to “X4: Foundations”