EnglishGermanFrenchRussianItalianSpanish

Boron DLC
View previous topic :: View next topic
Blake00

PostPosted: Mon, 1. Jan 18, 08:56    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

nemesis1982 wrote:
@Blake: Or they could say the Boron evolved to be able to breathe air. The Boron are also mostly scientists if I remember correctly so they could have bio-engineered themselves to be air breathing by now. Since it's far in the future of X3 they could make up many explanations.

Absolutely! The bioengineering route works too.

nemesis1982 wrote:

Or maybe in X4 we find a gate to the Boron sectors and find out they have all been made into barbecue by a few split who were left in their sectors. It would save egosoft the debate Razz

lmao great now I'm wondering how good a Boron BBQ tastes! We love a good seafood BBQ here in Australia haha!

Xeroxia wrote:
I feel like they are one, if not the defining race of the X-series.

Agreed! It's a real shame.

- Game Shrines: Age of Wonders, Babylon 5 Fan Games, Command & Conquer, Elder Scrolls Series, Dune Games, Final Fantasy, Freelancer, Heroes of Might & Magic, Imperium Galactica Series, Master of Magic, Quest for Glory Series, Starflight, & Star Trek Games
- Movie & TV Shrines: Lord Of The Rings & Hobbit, & Star Trek
- Emulation
Fedora01

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Mon, 1. Jan 18, 10:03    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

This is just something I've been mulling about (since I first saw this topic some... 20 days ago) while starting my second play through of TC, of how the Boron could be implemented on a technical/gameplay level so that they could be more than just "another race", so to speak.

Faction Relations: Unlike the other factions the Boron would be non-aggressive in their relations to other races, avoiding offensive wars and, preferably, only fighting defensive ones. Although there would always be high tensions between Boron and Split factions.

Stations: The Boron would sell station modules for exclusive use with Boron populations (I think it'd be cool to have a massive space-fish tank Very Happy ). They also sell 1 time purchase "conversion kits" that can be used on a station to make it compatible with Boron modules (although this probably wouldn't mix well with a Split station).

Ships: The small ships only come in 2 flavours: Boron only (these wouldn't show up in a buy list) or Humanoid refits. Capital ships (or any ship large enough) on the other hand would be able to simultaneously be able to house Humanoids and Boron. All stations would be encased in small bubble-like structures with tube openings at the bottom (or top) that are filled when in use by a Boron and are emptied out when not.

These ideas are far from complete but it's just my thoughts on the subject, oh, and here's a suit "idea" https://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/en.futurama/images/0/06/Reversescubasuit.png/revision/latest?cb=20090614193745

TheBaykon

PostPosted: Mon, 1. Jan 18, 23:17    Post subject: Boron Ideas Reply with quote Print

Hello,

I understand the decision for not having boron as this would need a lot of thinking/design etc.

Thought would give some ideas which may help with thinking how boron can be introduced in the future

The Boron always remind me of the mon calamari from star wars.

They use suits to walk around like normal humanoids and the ships themselves are not full of water most likely because it would have cost more for production to add it in.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-GmxeodZpZ5E/TdQIO5BJxKI/AAAAAAAAE2Q/M3hucMf9CHs/s1600/moncalamari.png

Another idea is it could be like the Xindi-Aquatic from star trek enterprise where some sections of the ships are air but the main ship holds water.

http://trekmovie.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/ent_s3_bd_xindi_aquatic.jpg

Of course i'm not saying these should be copied but give some ideas to how a water species could be introduced.

Interested in what other ideas people have?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Mon, 1. Jan 18, 23:47    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

@ TheBaykon: Oversized images replaced by links and topic moved into existing active discussion thread.

Axeface

PostPosted: Tue, 2. Jan 18, 03:00    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Or, as said a hundred times, they could just make them float and excuse the whole water thing with advanced suits... Its actaully EASIER to animate a floating Boron than a walking one, legs are hard to animate. The only difference is IF they are walking they can reuse the human RIGGING and that cuts the workload because you are reusing existing animations. If they are to introduce the Boron in a DLC it should be done properly and not use shortcuts like completely re-writing the established lore.

It REALLY isnt a big deal that they are aquatic. Us humans, in our ineptitude manage to go underwater by putting a tube in our mouths.... Boron as the most technologically advanced species in the commonwealth are surely able to overcome this limitation.

TheBaykon

PostPosted: Tue, 2. Jan 18, 03:48    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

@Alan Phipps Thanks for updating.

Blake00

PostPosted: Tue, 2. Jan 18, 04:05    Post subject: Re: Boron Ideas Reply with quote Print

TheBaykon wrote:
Hello,

I understand the decision for not having boron as this would need a lot of thinking/design etc.

Thought would give some ideas which may help with thinking how boron can be introduced in the future

The Boron always remind me of the mon calamari from star wars.

They use suits to walk around like normal humanoids and the ships themselves are not full of water most likely because it would have cost more for production to add it in.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-GmxeodZpZ5E/TdQIO5BJxKI/AAAAAAAAE2Q/M3hucMf9CHs/s1600/moncalamari.png

Another idea is it could be like the Xindi-Aquatic from star trek enterprise where some sections of the ships are air but the main ship holds water.

http://trekmovie.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/ent_s3_bd_xindi_aquatic.jpg

Of course i'm not saying these should be copied but give some ideas to how a water species could be introduced.

Interested in what other ideas people have?

Lets not even mention what happened with our favourite mon calamari in the latest film. #robbed lol!

But anyway I too thought of the xindi and how their ships had air sections. I'd forgotten about the mon calamari though. Good examples.

- Game Shrines: Age of Wonders, Babylon 5 Fan Games, Command & Conquer, Elder Scrolls Series, Dune Games, Final Fantasy, Freelancer, Heroes of Might & Magic, Imperium Galactica Series, Master of Magic, Quest for Glory Series, Starflight, & Star Trek Games
- Movie & TV Shrines: Lord Of The Rings & Hobbit, & Star Trek
- Emulation
Morkonan

PostPosted: Tue, 2. Jan 18, 23:13    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

immortalfrieza wrote:
...Honestly? All I care about is that the Boron ships are still around, even if the race itself isn't. The Boron ships are generally pretty useless but still, I like how they look.

I'll miss the Boron and their ships. The Octopus is a fine, fast, scout, if an expendable one.. The Thresher, though, that thing is a fun capital-killer, even if it handles like a cow. And, it's pretty. Smile

One of the things I most valued in X3TC were the unique ship designs for each race and not only the way they tended to differ in appearance, but their design differences as well. Those designs and capabilities largely reflected the cultures of the races, themselves. That was awesome! Ships had restrictions and the player had to pick the best ship for the desired job if they wanted... the best ship for the job. They couldn't just stick with on faction's ships if they wanted the best of everything. (Well, unless one was dedicated to the Terran Empire, PRAISE THE EMPEROR! Very Happy )

riky rice

PostPosted: Wed, 3. Jan 18, 01:20    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Morkonan wrote:
Ships had restrictions and the player had to pick the best ship for the desired job if they wanted... the best ship for the job. They couldn't just stick with on faction's ships if they wanted the best of everything. (Well, unless one was dedicated to the Terran Empire, PRAISE THE EMPEROR! Very Happy )

Maybe they could fix this problem by giving only one specific weapon/shield/engine made specifically for one ship class for each race (with not standardised design but a specific design that could aestetically fit only with the race that it belongs to), this upgrades could be used on ships from different races but there are downsizes, less power or durability for example, or it could drain energy/damage directly the ship! Twisted Evil

Sandalpocalypse

PostPosted: Wed, 3. Jan 18, 11:23    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

lets say you have resources to do 3 races at the quality you want

you have to have argon because humans

you want a war system, so you have to have either split or paranid as a nemesis for argon groups.

then for a third race, you can't really add borons. they would naturally ally with argon against either paranid or split.

teladi make more sense because they offer a peaceful border when war is on between the other two, though they can still be justified as engaging in war from time to time.

split could work, but they would make for a more violent 3-way-war universe than teladi would.

TL;DR For borons to work politically you probably want 5 races

unless you change borons into f***-you neutrals who're gonna let the galaxy burn

riky rice

PostPosted: Wed, 3. Jan 18, 12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I'm pretty sure ego has the resources to make at least 4 races
The 4th race being the xenon, also fully playable, because if you see the screenshots they have modular stations, a fully fledged economic cycle

BlackDemon

PostPosted: Wed, 3. Jan 18, 13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Personally I'm not bothered in the slightest that the Boron won't be in X4 at release. I understand the technical difficulties with the race implementation and commend Egosoft on their decision not to tackle that beast until at least after launch.

I do not agree with those saying that it won't be a "real" X game without the Boron. Egosoft could make X4 with only one race in it and it would still be a real X game, there is no way you can shoehorn the argument that unless every X game contains every single story element from every previous X game that it's not a real X game. Nonsense!

The Boron need a lot of conceptualising to fit into the game now that we have things like external camera view showing cockpit/pilot, walking around stations with other NPCs, and all that stuff. Better sort that out later once the rest of the game is made, since the Boron are the anomalies here that do not fit in like the rest do.

Marco Nero

PostPosted: Wed, 3. Jan 18, 13:43    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Will miss , as an appropiate playable Faction with stations and ships the Split and Terran too if i do not misunderstanded? Hope i understand wrong Smile