EnglishGermanFrenchRussianItalianSpanish

X4 and Linux
View previous topic :: View next topic
segmentationfault

PostPosted: Sat, 23. Dec 17, 14:43    Post subject: X4 and Linux Reply with quote Print

Is there any indications yet how likely it is that we would get X4 for Linux? Are the possible porting issues on 3rd party middleware side or something Linux has to do better first (like Vulkan drivers)?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Sat, 23. Dec 17, 14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

The Q&A sticky thread at the top of the forum wrote:
Will there be a Linux version?
This is not decided yet. But as all previous games had a linux version and part of the technology we're using (e.g. Vulkan rendering engine) is designed to work on Linux too, there's a good chance for one.

ezra-r

PostPosted: Fri, 29. Dec 17, 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

just to let you know I wish for this one too Smile

X Rebirth for Linux in the end works gloriously.

Unbekanntes Feindschiff

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Sun, 31. Dec 17, 06:43    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I'd guess EGOSOFT is aware that many of their core fanbase play their titles on Linux. The question was also raised at X-CON quite often. However, while being dedicated to the games, we simply aren't what makes EGOSOFT money and as passionate as EGOSOFT is about developing the X games, at the end of the day they want to make money out of it. In addition most X fans who game on Linux would buy the game anyway and grudgingly install Windows on a seperate partition, so EGOSOFT propably isn't gaining too much extra money by releasing a Linux version, just making people happy

Speculation: I guess they try on keeping things as platform-independent as possible during development, then will quite shortly before release assess the amount of work it costs them to port that to Linux. If it's a few changes, they'll do them and release it on release day, if it's quite some work, there'll propably be a Linux version at a later date and if it's an enormous amount of work (not very likely, but possible), they'll just not do a Linux version

PostPosted: Mon, 15. Jan 18, 04:49    Post subject: yay linux Reply with quote Print

Please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please release a Linux version of this game!

I don't have windows, I haven't for literally decades.. I joined this forum over 10 years ago, I have played the crap out of the X series as it has been released for Linux and pine away for games like Elite and Star citizen, but i have no hope for them and no faith that they'll ever come to linux..

I've been following the nuggets released about X4 though, since it's started, and X4 is shaping up so well! I can scarcely contain myself it is so good!!

Since X4 stands a real excellent chance of coming out for Linux, I implore you PLEASE let this be a thing!

thank you in advance,
a dedicated pilot.

Recycle or die.
steve_v

PostPosted: Thu, 25. Jan 18, 11:40    Post subject: Re: yay linux Reply with quote Print

fooka wrote:
I don't have windows, I haven't for literally decades...

Ditto.

I'll gladly buy anything X, so long as it runs on GNU/Linux. I even bought Rebirth, though I can't stand to actually play it.
But I'm not going to install Windows, and I'm sure as hell not going to pay for it. Not even for X4.

Egosoft, please release a Linux port so that I can buy your game.

kurush

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Sat, 27. Jan 18, 02:08    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

ezra-r wrote:
just to let you know I wish for this one too Smile

X Rebirth for Linux in the end works gloriously.

It certainly does. Linux version was the only reason I actually bought it. I was fully aware that the gameplay is not really comparable to the previous titles I liked, but a linux version convinced me at the end.
I just hope that a linux version would not be the ONLY reason I am buying it as it was the case with a handful of people with Rebirth apparently Smile

ttheobald

PostPosted: Sun, 28. Jan 18, 01:01    Post subject: Linux use... Reply with quote Print

...the OS just isn't popular enough to justify working with a completely separate codebase, testing routine, deployment plan, installation set, etc.

I say this as the former product manager for Kylix (Delphi for linux). There's just not enough money to justify the extra work for the extra OS at launch date. When you're working on a budget, you target the biggest platform you can - and that's Windows.

That said, Linux users have an out - pick up VMware's free Hypervisor and run a Windows image on that. There is some overhead, so your screamer PC might not get it's total hardware allocation that you'd want, but it's a solution to be live on launch day. Alternatively, set up a dual-boot. You can get an OEM license for Windows 10 for under twenty bucks on amazon (download and register, no CD), so the extra OS won't cost you an arm and a leg.

Hope this helps -

T

fooka

PostPosted: Mon, 29. Jan 18, 05:53    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

it doesn't really help.. but fear not, all the previous X games back to 2 have come out for linux, so it must be worth it on some level, eh?

^_^

Recycle or die.
RainerPrem

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Mon, 29. Jan 18, 06:24    Post subject: Re: Linux use... Reply with quote Print

ttheobald wrote:
...the OS just isn't popular enough to justify working with a completely separate codebase, testing routine, deployment plan, installation set, etc.

I say this as the former product manager for Kylix (Delphi for linux). There's just not enough money to justify the extra work for the extra OS at launch date. When you're working on a budget, you target the biggest platform you can - and that's Windows.

That said, Linux users have an out - pick up VMware's free Hypervisor and run a Windows image on that. There is some overhead, so your screamer PC might not get it's total hardware allocation that you'd want, but it's a solution to be live on launch day. Alternatively, set up a dual-boot. You can get an OEM license for Windows 10 for under twenty bucks on amazon (download and register, no CD), so the extra OS won't cost you an arm and a leg.

Hope this helps -

T

Hi,

A big lot has changed in the Windows/Linux world since the early 2000s. There are a lot of libraries supporting both OSs. And Egosoft has already enough experience from publishing XR on Linux.

cu
Rainer

ezra-r

PostPosted: Thu, 22. Feb 18, 16:02    Post subject: Re: Linux use... Reply with quote Print

RainerPrem wrote:
ttheobald wrote:

Hope this helps -

T

Hi,

A big lot has changed in the Windows/Linux world since the early 2000s. There are a lot of libraries supporting both OSs. And Egosoft has already enough experience from publishing XR on Linux.

cu
Rainer

and let's not forget X3:R and x3:TC and X3:AP all under linux and working wonderfully.

Besides they seem to be using vulkan for X4 so we can certainly keep our hopes up. Not at release date for the big platform? ok...

---btw, although I appreciate the feedback and I don't appreciate anyone suggesting me to install Vmware + windows or similar. Must be a geek thing.

nekoexmachina

PostPosted: Thu, 8. Mar 18, 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I *really* hope for a linux version. Would buy nonetheless, but using wine or windows to run my next favorite game would be a pita.

Quote:

I say this as the former product manager for Kylix[

I'm sorry to break this, but Kylix, unfortunatelly, always was just a *bad* product.