Using the teleporter for respawn

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Post Reply
csaba
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri, 26. Aug 05, 22:39

Using the teleporter for respawn

Post by csaba » Sat, 23. Dec 17, 19:40

Can there be an option to use the teleporter to respawn at the HQ?

I often forget to save for hours then a sudden death sets me back quite a lot. Having a respawn system would be really convenient in this case. You would still be able to reload if you are unhappy with your ship's loss but now you have an option to continue the game not restricted to save files.

It would help with cases where for example you're blown up in a scout for odd reasons in far away parts of the Galaxy and you can take the loss easily. You could also take riskier actions like more aggressive combat, risky station hacks and alike without the need to constantly save scum which in turn would add to the experience of the game.

The range where the teleporter "saves" you should probably be restricted to the range of the HQ so you don't break your own rules.

Rekalty
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu, 18. Feb 10, 15:57

Post by Rekalty » Sun, 24. Dec 17, 08:17

First thing that came to mind when I heard about the ditching of Jump Drives and using Teleportation (of the player) instead, was the TV Series Dark Matter, where they had devices that wouldn't actually teleport you, but put your conscience into a clone body at the destination of your choice, so you can go do what you want there and then return the body to the device, and then unlink from the device and regain conscienceness at your home base.

I liked that idea a lot better than simply "teleporting" you across the galaxy, and if you were to die while in a clone body you would simply wake up back at your base, could be used for a non-hardcore game mode or somesuch.

If they actually let us mod the game, and I'm able to, I would certainly want to give it a go at trying to make something as close to this as possible, would much prefer it over teleportation. I mean, if you're able to teleport a person, then it would pretty much just be a matter of scaling it up to be able to teleport entire ships. With a cloning machine, you aren't going anywhere, and it's not like ships have a conscience you can link with another ship to make it think it's the other ship...

csaba
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri, 26. Aug 05, 22:39

Post by csaba » Sun, 24. Dec 17, 10:03

Rekalty wrote:First thing that came to mind when I heard about the ditching of Jump Drives and using Teleportation (of the player) instead, was the TV Series Dark Matter, where they had devices that wouldn't actually teleport you, but put your conscience into a clone body at the destination of your choice, so you can go do what you want there and then return the body to the device, and then unlink from the device and regain conscienceness at your home base.
Similar to EVE online. I'm meh about this. I'd just love an option to continue without loading old saves.
Rekalty wrote: I liked that idea a lot better than simply "teleporting" you across the galaxy, and if you were to die while in a clone body you would simply wake up back at your base, could be used for a non-hardcore game mode or somesuch.
None of the games in the series had hardcore before afaik so this shouldn't change the difficulty. Some people played HC with their own set of rules only saving and reloading at the start and end of their gameplay sessions.

Rekalty wrote: If they actually let us mod the game, and I'm able to, I would certainly want to give it a go at trying to make something as close to this as possible, would much prefer it over teleportation. I mean, if you're able to teleport a person, then it would pretty much just be a matter of scaling it up to be able to teleport entire ships. With a cloning machine, you aren't going anywhere, and it's not like ships have a conscience you can link with another ship to make it think it's the other ship...
If you are able to teleport you might as well remote control a cyborg that can be easily remanufactured instead of growing whole human bodies. Or just remote control the ship but then you don't have the ability to walk around.

Seanchaidh
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun, 10. Sep 17, 04:20

Post by Seanchaidh » Wed, 27. Dec 17, 03:18

The funny thing about this idea is that unless you're playing Suicidal Squid, respawning in this manner would still usually be worse than loading a save because you'd lose the ship you were flying.

User avatar
Morkonan
Posts: 1690
Joined: Sun, 25. Sep 11, 04:33

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 27. Dec 17, 17:39

I don't think a "spawn at home" death-penalty feature works very well for an X game. For an "action" game where changes are recorded and not lost upon death, it might work just fine. For "level" progression games, it's part of the design - lose and you have to start the level over again.

Save mechanics, at least in X3TC, are actually part of the game. (Insurance vs docking)

I don't like "clone" ideas. It reduces roleplaying drama. Why worry about death if you're immortal?

User avatar
Sandalpocalypse
Posts: 4121
Joined: Tue, 2. Dec 03, 23:28

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Wed, 27. Dec 17, 17:48

Dead is Dead gives you a game session where you can only ever win. Dead-is-Death Penalty gives you a game session where you can actually experience setbacks, which is more compelling imo.

Assets are the main thing that matters in X and losing them hurts. Being 'personally immortal' doesnt help with that. And its not like you ever LOSE x games. You just reload and continue. Save/load basically means you have 100% effective plot armor so wheres the drama there?

It doesnt have to be clones after all. 'Escape Teleporter' is an obvious application of the technology. Pay a million CR to get one implanted. Maybe buy one for your best NPCs if you like. Lore problems depend on if teleporter tech is common in X4 or if its purely a player item.
Irrational factors are clearly at work.

csaba
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri, 26. Aug 05, 22:39

Post by csaba » Wed, 27. Dec 17, 18:36

Morkonan wrote:Save mechanics, at least in X3TC, are actually part of the game. (Insurance vs docking)
you're immortal?
Insurance is dirt cheap after a few missions and constantly saving means your only penalized if you forget to save which is stupid. XR had an autosave feature which was nice but freaking annoying in a middle of a fight.
Sandalpocalypse wrote:Assets are the main thing that matters in X and losing them hurts. Being 'personally immortal' doesnt help with that. And its not like you ever LOSE x games. You just reload and continue. Save/load basically means you have 100% effective plot armor so wheres the drama there?
Exactly.

Late game in a fleet battle if you want to take part you might hop into a fighter. A wrong move can instazap you to the load screen. You wouldn't mind losing a fighter at that stage if in return you don't have to reload a 2 hour old save. So in essence you lose more in assets while also saving precious game time.

Sandalpocalypse wrote:Pay a million CR to get one implanted.
Only if it is one time otherwise people wouldn't bother and just reload.

Post Reply

Return to “X4: Foundations”