Music. (the continuation)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Tue, 12. Dec 17, 19:57

Little Willie John - I'm Shakin'
Dee Dee Sharp - Gravy
Timi Yuro - I Ain't Gonna Cry No More
Pat Boone - Speedy Gonzales :)
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 15. Dec 17, 03:33

OH boy is this good. So I was listening to the original song by Iron Butterfly form 1968. Watching the video and thinking how far television recordings have come since then, when I noticed a cover version by Sina. I've posted her stuff before, a young lass who plays drums, she really impresses me quite a bit. So I had to watch and as soon as I started watching it I knew I just had to post it here for the rest of you to enjoy. Note, it's also a long song at 17 minutes but it is good. So if you have a spare 17 minutes sit back turn up the volume, watch and enjoy, I had a smile on my face at the end.

Sina - In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida Love the name.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 15. Dec 17, 20:01

felter wrote:...
Sina - In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida Love the name.
This type of collaboration between people is what the internetz is for... People from far-flung locations, backgrounds, and cultures can come together, easily, and create something new.

So, what did I see and hear? I didn't really see or hear the music. I experienced some people coming together with enthusiasm and love for their craft to create something new and to share that with others.

Sure, it's not unusual these days, but we tend to take this ability for granted. Even now, most of us don't think that we're coming together on a forum to "create something new" with a group of like-minded individuals joined together by their common interest in a video game...

This thread on "music", the other threads, the entire content of this set of forums with all its different languages, all the new ideas, tutorials, walkthroughs, discussions, arguments, dumb crap posts and truly illuminating discussions involving people from all over the world... Something like this which is like any newly created thing with meaning, greater than the sum of its parts, wouldn't be possible without teh interwebz.

So, thanks, Interwebz. :)

zazie
x4

Post by zazie » Mon, 18. Dec 17, 16:37

@ felter: Thanks for that link.
I was a child when Iron Butterfly published In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida but the album was still in the record shops when I started listening to my 'own' music (stepping away from what radios played or what my parents had in their Vinyl-Collection). So there was that album on the shelf, strange pictures on it, my elder friends talked secretly about trips and being stoned - and I had no idea what the hell they talked about. But the sound - it was magic. A new world. Uncomparable.
I never owned this album though. I invested my pocket-money into Pink Floyds "Ummagumma".
I think that only VERY few people on this world can say that Ummagumma was their first own-bought record :)

Invitation to an eerie voice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSPKZ31idlg Give it a try for 50 seconds minimum
Since Heather Nova's first album no other female voice has knocked me out like this Swiss Singer and her Band Marylane.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Tue, 19. Dec 17, 02:26

zazie wrote:@ felter: Thanks for that link.
I was a child when Iron Butterfly published In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida but the album was still in the record shops when I started listening to my 'own' music (stepping away from what radios played or what my parents had in their Vinyl-Collection). So there was that album on the shelf, strange pictures on it, my elder friends talked secretly about trips and being stoned - and I had no idea what the hell they talked about. But the sound - it was magic. A new world. Uncomparable.
I never owned this album though. I invested my pocket-money into Pink Floyds "Ummagumma".
I think that only VERY few people on this world can say that Ummagumma was their first own-bought record :)

Invitation to an eerie voice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSPKZ31idlg Give it a try for 50 seconds minimum
Since Heather Nova's first album no other female voice has knocked me out like this Swiss Singer and her Band Marylane.
My first album that I ever bought, while I cant remember the name of it I can tell you it was an Elvis Presley Album. But the first music item I bought was actually a 7" single, it was this and it was a pink vinyl. :D

I would only be about 7 or 8 at the time, and I should still have the record somewhere.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 19. Dec 17, 16:07

felter wrote:....My first album that I ever bought, while I cant remember the name of it I can tell you it was an Elvis Presley Album. But the first music item I bought was actually a 7" single, it was this and it was a pink vinyl. :D

I would only be about 7 or 8 at the time, and I should still have the record somewhere.
The first record I ever had that was "mine", and I don't know if I picked it out or not, was a single 45 of The Beatles "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds." I can't remember what was on the B side. I listened to both sides, but Lucy is the one I remember the most.

I think the first full music album I ever bought, myself, with my own money was Rush's "Moving Pictures" on an 8-track. :) Though, now that I think of it, I may have bought the Star Wars soundtrack, first. Not sure.

The first "albums" I ever had were two readings of comic books (included). One was about Spider Man and the other was about the Hulk. Come to think of it, there was a Fantastic Four one, too. I had some other "records of books", mostly from Disney stuff.

It's worth noting there was a lot of music in my house. Record players, everywhere, and 8-tracks too. Radios were always on, somewhere, and I had my own, which I listened to constantly. I remember at 10 yrs old conspiring with friends to get our favorite singles played on the radio by swamping the "call-in" lines... In short - I listened to a lot more live radio broadcasts than recorded music back in those days.

Obligatory music track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RoA0QTZ-bM

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Tue, 19. Dec 17, 19:07

@felter, @zazie, @Morkonan

Really intersting to hear all your stories about your first album. I remember that the first one I bought was "13" by Die Ärzte. It was a long time after the album was actually released, but I had heard the song "Rebell" somewhere and wanted more like that, so I asked a friend of mine on what album that one was and he told me it was "13".
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

zazie
x4

Post by zazie » Wed, 20. Dec 17, 09:26

Morkonan wrote:"Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds." - B side
Now that's an allusion I must give in :):
imo one of the best B-Sides of all times: "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", performed by the Hooters {1987}, B-Side of "Johnny B"
This link is Audio only, the sound is way better than those video-versions of "Lucy ..." you may find on Youtube.
It's not uncommon on the comments there to state that the Hooter-version is even better than the original. I remember one of my work-mates of those days (both working for radio) who said about this version: "L-S-D. Pure LSD."

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 20. Dec 17, 18:57

zazie wrote:...It's not uncommon on the comments there to state that the Hooter-version is even better than the original. ...
It's a nice interpretation of the original, I think. But, it's not "better." The Beatles are... The Beatles. You can get different and interesting takes and covers, but they're still The Beatles... :)

When I was a kid, I had this single too: PPM - Puff the Magic Dragon. :) Strangely enough, it had a very strong influence on me as I was growing up.

I think, but am not sure, that music is like a "drug" to young minds. It'd be interesting to see what FMRI studies show, if there are any. I remember what I felt and the reaction my "brain" had to my first musical experiences. Weird... I wonder if others remember their own experiences and remember any lasting influences.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Sun, 24. Dec 17, 23:09

The Beatles were before my time. I might be old, but I'm not quite that old. :P

I grew up when just about everyone loved ABBA (but not everyone would admit it for some reason)

Fernando
the Visitors

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Mon, 25. Dec 17, 10:39

Bobby Helms - Jingle Bell Rock

Marlene Dietrich - Der Trommelmann

Frankie Avalon - Ginger Bread

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 25. Dec 17, 19:50

brucewarren wrote:The Beatles were before my time. I might be old, but I'm not quite that old. :P

I grew up when just about everyone loved ABBA (but not everyone would admit it for some reason)

Fernando
the Visitors
The Beatles were before my time, too. But, I still managed to have some of their singles as a kid.

And, Merry Christmas all!

Buckethead, for the folks across The Big Pond: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebzooSdAbGE

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 26. Dec 17, 11:38

I was not young any more when venturing into a music shop, but cannot remember sure what I bought. High likelyhood though that it was a collection of film music by Ennio Morricone.

This track was not among them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G02b5pfnJYk

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Tue, 26. Dec 17, 19:23

Michael Holliday - Starry Eyed

Sadly he took an overdose and died at the age of 38.
Last edited by Terre on Wed, 27. Dec 17, 09:40, edited 1 time in total.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Wed, 27. Dec 17, 02:34

Phantom of the Opera

Technology ... is a wonderful thing :)

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Sat, 30. Dec 17, 10:25

Arise, Sir Richard Starkey. :)

Sir Ringo Starr - It Don't Come Easy
Sir Ringo Starr - Back Off Boogaloo

silenced
x4

Post by silenced » Sun, 31. Dec 17, 11:59

Let me throw in something completely different to what's here usually:

Христина Соловій - Фортепиано

Enjoy.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

zazie
x4

Post by zazie » Tue, 2. Jan 18, 18:36

@silenced: Nice voice. But please tell the russian (I presume) audio-engineers to use less reverb, less artificial reverb, to be precise ;)
You like dramatic female voices? Etta Scollo - Partiro (on a side note: The whole album "blu" was produced without using reverb or echo)

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Thu, 4. Jan 18, 18:22

My Thing - Jeff Beck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYd9v6bsxGw

- oh yass..!! :lol:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Sat, 13. Jan 18, 00:09

Raymond Thomas (29 December 1941 – 4 January 2018)

Moody Blues - Go Now
Moody Blues - Legend of a mind

-

The last member of Motörhead, "Fast" Eddie Clarke has died aged 67.

Motörhead - Ace Of Spades

Return to “Off Topic English”