Teladi Dissapointment

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Poacher886
x4

Teladi Dissapointment

Post by Poacher886 » Wed, 20. Dec 17, 16:10

So its with a great shame the latest stream shows they have fallen in line with every other Space sim since 1984 and 'consolised' the Teladi ships to look like symmetrical race cars for space.

In previous x3 the Teladi ships were the finest looking space ships to grace ANY space sim to date...their unique awkward a-symmetrical appearance was true to what you expect a ship to look like (they looked like real space ships), interesting and different, reminiscent of the Millennium falcon or tie fighters that somehow looked believable but most importantly unique with character.. Like an old slighlty bent house has chracter v a modern square box.

The Teladi destroyer in x3 with its main guns all on one side requiring it to turn to its side to fire a broad side was sublime.....so what do they do this time....

.....Yep they turn them all into symmetrical 'Racing car' sleek, sporty looking ships, like EVERY other ship in the game and indeed all other Space games....couldn't tell the difference between the Teladi bomber and the Argon.
Sorry for the rant, just a real shame to see this.

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Wed, 20. Dec 17, 17:15

I found it peculiar, that the bomber, peregrine (?), borrowed its look from the X3 falcon except more bulky, but the falcon itself looked like something completely different. As X3 fan (X3 = bestest ships) i felt betrayed and hurt in my feelings ... :heuldoch: :tuichdoch:

However not all is lost yet. Fighters looked quite different in X3 as well, compared to the capitals. And that applied to most races, but particularly Teladi and Argons.
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Wed, 20. Dec 17, 17:23

I thought that the Kestrel is quite reminiscent of x3 teladi fighters, it looks like the X3 Harrier a bit. The Falcon, while I like that design, it looks cool - im not sure how teladi it looks, dont think it looks utilitarian enough. The Peregrin I thought was a bit boring looking and the Osprey, really not sure about that one. I hope they add some big flat struts to the capitals like the x3 Teladi ships, they need more recognisable sillouettes imho. They added large curved engine shields to both the Osprey and Peregin, I reckon they could add a bit of geometry to those. I definately havent fallen in love with any of the designs yet like I did in X3, the first time I saw a Barracuda Vanguard, Thresher, Discoverer, Nova and Titan in X3 I just had to have them - hell even the buster looks cool in its ugly-boxiness.

joao
x4

Post by joao » Wed, 20. Dec 17, 17:46

Killjaeden wrote:... the falcon itself looked like something completely different. As X3 fan (X3 = bestest ships) i felt betrayed and hurt in my feelings ... :heuldoch: :tuichdoch: ...
I feel we're going back to the old games in terms of design, from what I've seen, both the falcon and the krestel look alot X2'ish with the wings.
Even the new "mushroom domes" on stations reminds me of X2.
Specs:
Asrock p67 fatality pro|Intel 2500k (4.2Gz)|MSI Gtx 960 OC|8Gb Corsair Vengeance|WD 1Tb HDD

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Wed, 20. Dec 17, 18:04

I'm disappointed what resulted in a 3d model of a actual teladi, far from how they originally looked on the screen monitor from xbtf or x2, and how they nerfed their voices.

I want the teladi from when u first contact them in xbtf, that was cool, xrebirth totally made them crap.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Wed, 20. Dec 17, 18:13

I liked the Teladi Capitals in XR a lot. :(
They were very unique, beautiful and interesting as well with their "front heavy design" in contrary to the usual ellipse shape.

Kind of sad I am the only one thinking so :(

https://www.egosoft.com:8444/confluence ... rodeur.jpg

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Wed, 20. Dec 17, 19:31

joao wrote:I feel we're going back to the old games in terms of design, from what I've seen, both the falcon and the krestel look alot X2'ish with the wings.
Even the new "mushroom domes" on stations reminds me of X2.
Yes - this is also my impression. The new designs look much simpler in terms of complexity and slightly comical: The average length seems to have been reduced significantly, ships are more boxy and stubby. Plus the components have grown in size relative to overall ship size, like weapons and the hangars on corvettes are simply ginormous compared to X3's ship elements. Combined with the first images we got to see with some of the early "all the colors" scheme, is what triggered the comparison to Lego of many people.
Axeface wrote:I thought that the Kestrel is quite reminiscent of x3 teladi fighters, it looks like the X3 Harrier a bit.
The essence it caught, but it looks too polished/ clean and lacks the patched together, weathered nature.
[ external image ]
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

patient zero
x3tc

Post by patient zero » Wed, 20. Dec 17, 21:11

"I agree."

The thing I liked best about Teladi ships in x3 is they looked like the design and construction were done by the lowest bidder in keeping with their reputation.
This is only a virtual reality.

Rice
x3tc

Post by Rice » Wed, 20. Dec 17, 21:38

Tamina wrote:

the Cutoff Amarr Titan https://image.eveonline.com/Render/11567_512.png
will never be forgotten it has captured a place deep in my heart :wink:
and left a hole which never can be stuffed again ! :lol:
[ external image ][ external image ][ external image ]
Eine der hoffnungsreichsten Lebenslagen ist die, wenn es uns so schlecht geht, dass es uns nicht mehr schlechter gehen kann. [Felix Krull]

Sirrobert
x3ap

Re: Teladi Dissapointment

Post by Sirrobert » Wed, 20. Dec 17, 22:38

Poacher886 wrote:In previous x3 the Teladi ships were the finest looking space ships to grace ANY space sim to date
Ha, **** no. Teladi ships are ugly as shit. But that is their entire charm.
9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm crazy. The 10th is singing the music from Tetris

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Wed, 20. Dec 17, 22:48

What do you mean? The Phoenix and the Condor in X3 were dubbed floating junkyards by the player base.

http://x3tc.net/x3_img_ship/32d5894d7f147sc.jpg

I personally was a Raptor fan but the Split wont even be in the game as a major faction and I'm not complaining.

{Images posted directly to the forums should not be greater than 640x480 or 100kb, oversize image now linked - Terre}

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Thu, 21. Dec 17, 00:13

csaba wrote:but the Split wont even be in the game as a major faction and I'm not complaining.
But you should! (Unless you mean that cynical and mean you rather not see the beautiful X3 ships re-envisioned with X4 art style :oops: )
[ external image ]

Poacher886
x4

Post by Poacher886 » Thu, 21. Dec 17, 18:45

This is EXACTLY what im talking about...

Now thats a Teladi ship, it looks like a ship, slightly 'awkward' but bags and bags of character and individualism, as someone just mentioned "floating junkyard" and "there ugly, but thats their charm" !!!!

This is precisely the point im making...its also true that the weapons etc are over sized on x4 and dont give the impression of insignificance v a capital ship size.

I dont mind the sleek symmetrical 'race car' SR-71 Blackbird look for one race, but for all ships to look a variant of this is just plain boring, unrealistic, un-imaginative, and in line with typical console space games of a racing kind.

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Thu, 21. Dec 17, 19:45

The race styles change pretty much every game. There's always some race you liked better in the last one.

I don't recall seeing any of their capitals except a freighter in the X4 streams, and iirc it looked pretty damn good. Probalby should wait till you actually see their lineup in full and in context before passing judgement imo :wink: It's not like they are going to change it at this point anyway.
Irrational factors are clearly at work.

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Thu, 21. Dec 17, 19:56

Poacher886 wrote:This is EXACTLY what im talking about...

Now thats a Teladi ship, it looks like a ship, slightly 'awkward' but bags and bags of character and individualism, as someone just mentioned "floating junkyard" and "there ugly, but thats their charm" !!!!

This is precisely the point im making...its also true that the weapons etc are over sized on x4 and dont give the impression of insignificance v a capital ship size.

I dont mind the sleek symmetrical 'race car' SR-71 Blackbird look for one race, but for all ships to look a variant of this is just plain boring, unrealistic, un-imaginative, and in line with typical console space games of a racing kind.

I personally dislike the new discoverer with it's forward pointing wings. It's symmetrical but weird to me, so I think it is too early to come to conclusions yet.

The Phoenix was one of my favorites in X3. It had the right amount of weirdness in it. But look at the X3 Falcon it was simple, boring and symmetrical, it pretty much looked like the new Kestrel just with added fins. We seen 3(?) ships from the Teladi sofar so I wouldn't sell them as the barebones symetrical race yet.

Thrake
x3ap

Post by Thrake » Fri, 22. Dec 17, 00:13

Sssssso many profitsss lossst for sssslick design ssssake! :cry:

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Fri, 22. Dec 17, 23:12

Tamina wrote:I liked the Teladi Capitals in XR a lot. :(
They were very unique, beautiful and interesting as well with their "front heavy design" in contrary to the usual ellipse shape.

Personally, I don't think about it, what's awesome to someone is crap to another.. Egosoft aren't going to please everybody no matter how hard they try when it comes to ship design, it's impossible.

There were ships I thought sucked in AP, mostly Teladi ones and Paranid and there were ships I thought were sleek, sexy with awesome weapons like the Vidar and the Moljinar of the Terrans, plus their Destroyers like the Valhalla and the Odin looked badass.

I have the exact same love/hate views for certain ships in Rebirth.
It's about personal preference in the end, beauty is in the Eye of the beholder.
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Fri, 22. Dec 17, 23:46

I might add that these are probably not all the end designs.

Look at the Colossus in the second stream. After something like the Arawn even Egosoft would be disappointed in themselves to release something so plain like that. The whole model lacks details, and the textures are probably placeholders.

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Sat, 23. Dec 17, 05:28

IMO, if you want to keep with the "put together from the lowest cost parts" design, Teladi ships should look more like stations, with engines at one of the ends. Compare the screenshots of the ships you guys have posted with screenshots of the stations in X3, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

So, since the stations have changed, the ships should change too, borrowing the aesthetic.

Otherwise, hardest to do would be Boron ships, because for some reason their ships are sea creatures, and higher resolution fish shape is still basic fish shape. Every other race models their ships after structures rather than creatures, perhaps the Boron would have been better off with coral reefs or underwater polyps (animated to sway with movement changes) for ships and stations.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Sat, 23. Dec 17, 11:00

I like the X3 Teladi styling too though I think I would have phrased it a little more politely.

Here I'll fix it for you.... "Dear Egosoft could we please have some more asymmetric ship designs in the future for variety and uniqueness."

Return to “X4: Foundations”