Are you going to pre-order?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Are you going to pre-order X4: Foundations?

Yes
43%
No
38%
I'm not sure yet
20%

Total votes: 452

Armankessilon
x4

Post by Armankessilon » Sat, 16. Dec 17, 11:15

Still have faith in Egosoft. I will pre-order

Merak
x3ap

Post by Merak » Sat, 16. Dec 17, 16:00

i am not sure this depends if i need to get a new pc or not :)

Jeraal
x4

Post by Jeraal » Sat, 16. Dec 17, 16:06

I am not sure yet. I was planning to get XR on pre-order, but the more info they released leading up to it, the more I lost interest in the game. Bought it on a sale way after release and just could not get into it. So, I'll wait to see what info they release, consider price, etc. If I was asked to lock it down to yes or no, I would most likely say no just because of Rebirth.
Brute force and ignorance solves all problems, just not very efficiently.

If brute force isn't working, then you aren't using enough.

Greenhorn
x3ap

Post by Greenhorn » Sat, 16. Dec 17, 18:49

Hi all ,after this third twitter video dec 13th, not much was said about new content.Hmmm im still not sure ,im confused ,maybe when they do a 4th video about npc in ships, benard mentiond, and (workforce ) is that like a living commodity ?, stuff not mentioned before. Then ill be convinced.bye all. :) .
Last edited by Greenhorn on Tue, 19. Dec 17, 19:57, edited 1 time in total.
Running latest Steam X3: Albion Prelude .v 3.1 + bonus pack.favorite single music :Coldplay - Something just like this.Muse - Supermassive blackhole.Audiomachine - Sol Invictus,Cinematic.And finally, Florent Zunino - Foundation - Titles.

iforgotmysocks
x4

Post by iforgotmysocks » Sat, 16. Dec 17, 20:13

vkerinav wrote:As a philosophical question, what's the difference between per-ordering, and ordering the instant it becomes available?
There is nothing philosophical about it.
Some companies are very tight on money and the sooner they get some, the better. But the most noticable difference for the player might be that u get to downlaod the content hours or days before it's playable, which allows people with a bad internet connection to play the game aswell when it launches, instead of -n days later, when they finish the download.

Senar
x4

Post by Senar » Mon, 18. Dec 17, 07:28

Split say - "Yes".
After preordering X-Rebirth i got what i expected, more or less (aside from long list of bugs, which had mostly squashed). I spent well over 20 thousands hours total in X-games since X-Tension, and no X3 reskin or total conversion mod can draw my attention to classic X for more than a day.
It's like your old ex, who you may like to some extent and share a handful of good memories, but your relationship is over, and passion is gone. Under a shiny face there are very familiar personality.
X-Rebirth was not so brilliant, but it was something new at least, something that encourage me to learn new game mechanics, adapt new tactics, exploit new tricks.

Riccardoman
x4

Post by Riccardoman » Tue, 19. Dec 17, 16:40

I will buy both X4 and XR because egosoft has always listened to their community and I admire their long term support for their games

Berhg
x4

Post by Berhg » Tue, 19. Dec 17, 23:55

I will pre-order. Egosoft consistently make games that I don't like when first released, that get better over time, and that then give me some of my personal best gaming experiences with mods. This was true for me for the X3s and XRebirth. I fully expect it to happen again with X4. They deserve my money. Without their initial work the X games I love to play would not exist.
Save the bunnies! RTFM

[ external image ]

TemporalAnomaly
x4

Post by TemporalAnomaly » Wed, 20. Dec 17, 01:40

Yes I will pre-order (not from any other developer though)

What they are attempting here is quite amazing, to take the best from the old series and Rebirth and then try to take on board the player base feedback/desired features....all within a framework of balance and style that fits their creative vision...think about that for a minute.

As stated "we've never had a working game so early in development before", as well as using the videos to make sure we all know what they are developing and what we will get. I expect X4 to be a great game!

All games in this series have been amazing value for me, 1000's of hours of enjoyable game play (un-playable on release aside) at a reasonable price. I still remember Albion Prelude release and the whining that went on in these forums "they just want our $$$!" it cost $10!!! and to many it is still the pinnacle of the series!

So why pre-order?
To support a company that does it's utmost to deliver (eventually) games that are great fun and have unrivalled support and longevity

salawinder
xr

Post by salawinder » Wed, 20. Dec 17, 15:31

I'm probably going to be the odd one out here - I had never pre-ordered a game before Rebirth, and was very disappointed. Even after all the updates it's pretty obvious that the team have been focusing on X4 rather than polishing Rebirth. I don't blame them as Rebirth was never going to make them a lot of money given the launch state.

But I will happily pre-order X4.

Put simply, I am going to buy it anyway (I have every X game they have made), and I have faith it will be in a respectable state at launch (because they can't afford for it not to be) - plus I know they will support it with fixes and enhancements for years to come, so buying at the pre-order price is saving me money.

Did I get my money's worth from Rebirth? No.
Do I think I will get my money's worth from X4? Absolutely!

clivos
x3

X4 - Do Not Pre-order - Wait At Least A Year Before You Buy

Post by clivos » Fri, 7. Sep 18, 05:01

X:Rebirth was a disaster for egosoft!

ALL of egosoft's previous X games had launched FULL of bugs and took months to put "almost" right via patches. Take off those rose-tinted glasses and remember that egosoft have NEVER had a successful launch of any X-related game.

Now, X:Rebirth, took egosoft to a position that I believe they shouldn't have recovered from. The launch was the worst in my gaming life of 30+ years, mainly because I pre-ordered, believing the hype and paying full price.

At first, things weren't too bad to be honest, but it soon became apparent that the game was maybe in an alpha state at best. Trying to progress in the story was a no-no for example. I really tried to love the game, I put in over 100 hours, hoping that the early patches would put the game right. Eventually, however, frustrated, I quit.

Months later, I discover that the Teladi DLC was available as "compensation" to people who had pre-ordered and those who bought the game after launch, for no cost. However, that compensation was time-limited, and I missed it. To this day, I do not have the Teladi DLC, because I will not pay another dime/cent/penny to egosoft for it. That was the "last straw" for me.

I will NEVER again purchase an egosoft product!

Best wishes to those of you that do :)

I just wanted to vent about my experience, over the years, with this company.

DavidGW
x4

Post by DavidGW » Fri, 7. Sep 18, 06:23

I pre-ordered X Rebirth, and played it from the first moments of its release.

I enjoyed it, and it got better with time.

I will be pre-ordering X4 because I'm more than happy to support a small development studio that makes great, and unique games.

They apparently don't have a publisher this time yelling at them to kick X4 out the door ASAP, so the assumption that it will be an alpha when released is flawed.

Even if it is, I'm happy to support them through pre-ordering, then attempt to support them further by giving suggestions on how to improve the game, IF it needs it.

Feel free to not buy anymore ES games, that's your right as a consumer. Personally, I would rather risk having a buggy game on release that ends up being great, rather than not ever get the game at all because ES goes bust.

Général Grievous
x4

Post by Général Grievous » Fri, 7. Sep 18, 07:06

DavidGW wrote:I pre-ordered X Rebirth, and played it from the first moments of its release.

I enjoyed it, and it got better with time.

I will be pre-ordering X4 because I'm more than happy to support a small development studio that makes great, and unique games.

They apparently don't have a publisher this time yelling at them to kick X4 out the door ASAP, so the assumption that it will be an alpha when released is flawed.

Even if it is, I'm happy to support them through pre-ordering, then attempt to support them further by giving suggestions on how to improve the game, IF it needs it.

Feel free to not buy anymore ES games, that's your right as a consumer. Personally, I would rather risk having a buggy game on release that ends up being great, rather than not ever get the game at all because ES goes bust.
+1! :wink:
Il vaut mieux mobiliser son intelligence sur des conneries plutot que de mobiliser sa connerie sur des choses intelligentes...

Hector0x
x3tc

Post by Hector0x » Fri, 7. Sep 18, 07:38

Before XR i rarely preordered any games.
XR is the reason i haven't preordered a single game since.
But i would preorder XR again.

Does this even make sense?

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Fri, 7. Sep 18, 07:57

Hector0x wrote:Before XR i rarely preordered any games.
XR is the reason i haven't preordered a single game since.
But i would preorder XR again.

Does this even make sense?
Yes. If you look at it in a mirror. :)

DarkstalkerI
x3

Post by DarkstalkerI » Fri, 7. Sep 18, 07:58

Egosoft deserved a second chance. I'll wait a few days after release and watch some YT Videos. If its not a total desaster, i will buy it.

If everybody would wait a year to buy it, Egosoft will close the doors and not even try to fix anything. They make a very niche game for a small audience.
AMD 64 3500+
GF 6600 GT
Kingston 1024 MB DDR 400 Dual
Asus A8N5X
Alles Hoch on on Argon Prime: 44 Frames

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 7. Sep 18, 08:07

I never pre-order (what is the point in these days?).

However if you do not buy X4 for a year it will be a flop, so this is stupid idea.

I will for sure do not buy it on release day or first week, but then if reviewes and YT let's plays will be favorable then I'll buy it.

Yes there will be lots of bug as always, but for complex sandbox game this is normal - X-Rebirth was a huge letdow, but this is only one in Egosoft history (I enjoyed X2 and X3 from release date), so they deserve second chance.

Karvat
x4

Post by Karvat » Fri, 7. Sep 18, 13:03

I'm too fan of egosoft to stand posts like this, their games are incredible, I spent countless hours in previous games; it's true that XR was a bit less, but I still appreciated most of the changes.
And as seen so far between videos, images, comments, it is really unacceptable to think that the launch of x4 will be a disaster, it will not, and if you think so I suggest you look better at the streams that they have done, because regardless of how many bugs and failures there may be, this game looks wonderful

Also I have always considered XR as a transition point between X3 and X4 and always given less weight to the former, comparing these two games then has absolutely no sense, because they are clearly different

So if I can, I will pre-order X4 and I will try to support in any case a company that over the years has proven to deserve more than many other more famous, dedicating hours of work even after the launch of its games

Solflame
x4

Post by Solflame » Fri, 7. Sep 18, 15:23

I preordered XR and had a ton of issues with it. Only in the last month have I actually been able to play it and have fun.

That being said... Egosoft fixed it. They worked hard on it. And when I buy X4, I'm not buying in expecting a perfect product off the shelf. Like you said, Egosoft products have been full of bugs on launch in the past.

They've never abandoned a game, AFAIK. They've iterated and made it better. Even if on launch day I open X4 and the game is completely borked and isn't fixed for another 5 years, I know they'll eventually fix it, and I like supporting this company. They aren't perfect, but they try their hardest.

Slashman
x4

Post by Slashman » Fri, 7. Sep 18, 15:42

Solflame wrote:I preordered XR and had a ton of issues with it. Only in the last month have I actually been able to play it and have fun.

That being said... Egosoft fixed it. They worked hard on it. And when I buy X4, I'm not buying in expecting a perfect product off the shelf. Like you said, Egosoft products have been full of bugs on launch in the past.

They've never abandoned a game, AFAIK. They've iterated and made it better. Even if on launch day I open X4 and the game is completely borked and isn't fixed for another 5 years, I know they'll eventually fix it, and I like supporting this company. They aren't perfect, but they try their hardest.
That's a really bad precedent to set. I get why you are loyal and all, but even though I will likely buy this on launch week that is just wrong. To reward a developer for fixing a product that they broke or worse, never worked.

If it takes you five years to get the game you paid for, then wait five years. I didn't buy Rebirth and I'm not sad about that. But I will buy X4, not preorder, but if it doesn't work I'm going to refund it until it is better.

They've been at this for more than twenty years. We have to hold them to a higher standard than when they started...
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Return to “X4: Foundations”