What's up with pirates?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Thrake
x3ap

What's up with pirates?

Post by Thrake » Wed, 29. Nov 17, 11:28

I've been trying to buddy up with the local rascals with mitigated success. Lately they offered me a defend the station mission for a rehabilitation factory in a pirate sector. It spawned argon ships. After a bit of ramming spree, I found out that the pirate base that was next to the rehab station turned red. Why? Are pirates supposed to object to blowing up argons in their space? Or is it just un-piratey to protect defensless scums? Should only the strong survive? But then I did a very piratey act by ramming the weak... Or maybe the pirate station just had a spout of villainy :?

Since I'm at it, another thing that got me confused: does anyone gets angry at me for blowing up things in unknown sectors besides the pilot's family (provided they get to know what happened in an unknwon sector!)?

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Wed, 29. Nov 17, 12:11

Did you happen to hit a gate with a stray shot? That turns pirate bases red pretty much instantly, with a "You were warned - pirate ships will hunt you down like vermin" message.
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

Thrake
x3ap

Post by Thrake » Wed, 29. Nov 17, 15:08

I played without sound and while I should not have hitted it, it's likely that turrets shot it as we fought near the gate. Stupid turrets, it's the AI getting mad because of being shot by itself!

Thanks!

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Wed, 29. Nov 17, 16:17

No problem. I recently had the same issue twice in quick succession, at the same damn gate, while smacking Xenon in SPG. What made it twice as annoying is the fact that in this particular game, I'm quite actively dealing in weed and booze, so pirate bases have (or at least, at that point had) some significance for me... And yes, it was my turrets, too.
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

Thrake
x3ap

Post by Thrake » Mon, 11. Dec 17, 17:48

There's another thing bugging me with pirates. I'm friendly with pretty much every pirate station/base and I commonly do missions for them, but when I come to Malstrom/Mercenarie's rift and the surroundings, it's all red and filled with M6/M7/capitals all going after me. I can't even soft talk them into turning blue as they don't want to talk to me. There are a couple blue ships but it's fighters riff-raff, and two friendly pirate bases there, but I'm not sure if it's because I hacked it or not. Either way it's super hot trying to do missions there because I must not kill anybody to be in their good graces but even my Akurei has a hard time fleeing in comm range to get missions.

I'm not even sure that would fix it, I had another pirate system like that, with a hostile carrack and many missions after almost all ships were still hostile (I could only do it because the carrack was down to maybe 20% hull so not too hard to dodge :D). Then the boron military came in and cleaned the sector, even the station I built for the pirates :(

So, why are they all still hostile? In other sectors, there's only the occasional fighter patrol that I safely ignore as they can't lower my shields. That's with my cautiously staying away from missions that involve killing stuff as it commonly involves pirates.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Mon, 11. Dec 17, 18:05

There seem to be several pirate "sub-factions", based on location. The ones based in the area in question I also usually find to be the most intractable. Here are a couple of things to try, depending on which game you're playing:

X3TC: In this game, a freight scan seems to be the pirate equivalent of a friendly "howdy!" - if they are on the verge of being friendly, this will make it happen. The tricky parts are: you need to get close enough for the scan (4 clicks), and then you have to get clear for a bit, as they make up their minds in a little while (I can't say for sure, but should be less than 15-20 secs). Also, while it may happen (I forget now whether this applies) that befriending a leader will also apply to his/her followers, the rest of the time you may well have to do each one individually (of course, it gets progressively easier as you succeed, since you gradually decrease the number of hostiles you need to dodge during your overtures.) If this method fails, it means you're not close enough to civil terms with the pirate/s in question, and more schmoozing is still required.

X3AP: In this game, there is a faster and simpler method (I don't think the X3TC method applies anymore, either.) Drop a satellite in one of the sectors in question, jump out, and quickly look into that sector (the "quickly" is to do so before any nasties pop your sat) - any pirates that are on the fence about whether or not to like you, will now flip to neutral. If they don't, it means you still need to butter them up some more. One exception: the OWP in Mercenary's Rift appears to be immune to this method, and can be a persistent thorn in the side.

Now, it's up to you whether the above tricks are to be considered "exploits". Personally, I like the X3TC system and wish it had been carried over - it simulates a "secret handshake", so to speak, in my opinion.
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Mon, 11. Dec 17, 18:48

I find that the biggest boost to pirate rep isn't doing missions for pirate stations, it is doing missions for pirates that are out and about. For that particularly aggressive gang, check the trading stations in the connected group of Teladi sectors. Pirates are identifiable by their avatars (there's a rogue's gallery around here somewhere, but a simple rule of thumb that works in most cases is that they mostly wear bandoliers full of ammunition, and mostly no one else does) and they tend to want rapid deliveries of goods, sometimes food and often illegal goods.

Have stock ready, find a desperate pirate, make the delivery, and you get a big boost in rep. They also pay really good prices, though a lot of times they want smallish amounts that make the total profit insignificant.

Once I get them settled down I usually set up regular booze/weed delivery services to their stations. It seems to provide a steady drip of good fellowship that maintains my security.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

Thrake
x3ap

Post by Thrake » Mon, 11. Dec 17, 19:57

Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I never could get the orbital platforms to be friendly. It got cleaned in one sector by the AI, and I guess when I get friendly enough I can ram the one in mercenary's rift. It being tied to sub-factions would make sense, though I kept purposefully a non hacked pirate station in LooManckStrat's Legacy to check my local standing and even after many missions it is still red. But maybe I had them very angry, I have to say that I had my share of pirate assassination missions early on to get things going, maybe it tanked my rep with a sub-faction more than the others.

If it's not a dead hope, I'll keep trying, I just saw a pirate capital ship there that wasn't hostile for the first time, that made my day :)

Can the PHQ be destroyed? I kept it loaded in my TL, and was wondering where to set it up. I want to turn officially to piracy soon and I was wondering where to set it up. If it can't be destroyed, it won't matter much and I can try to setup a fleet to defend it, otherwise I guess I'll have to stick to Yaki core or deep in Gaian star.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 11. Dec 17, 21:22

Yes, the PHQ can be destroyed. The only stations that are invulnerable in the game are those associated with plot missions, and then only until it's no longer needed for that plot**.

**Sometimes the invulnerability flag gets stuck in the 'on' position and that station remains invulnerable for the whole game.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Thrake
x3ap

Post by Thrake » Fri, 15. Dec 17, 16:17

Do pirate heavens respawn?

Do you have good tricks to locate pirate stations?

Mine are to check their missions (passenger transport usually go to another pirate station so I always check the system where it leads). Of course the follow the smuggler mission also works but it's much longer and no guarantee I don't know the station so I pass these.

I also suspect there's stations around when I find a couple of pirate fighters in a system, though it's not perfect because they can cross one or two gates, they like having their stations sometimes even outside of zoomed-out map so super boring to find and some sectors do seem to be patrolled even when they are empty.

I thought lone freighters in empty systems (especially dead-end ones) meant pirate station too but had no success even with auto-mapping.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Fri, 15. Dec 17, 16:49

Thrake wrote:Do pirate heavens respawn?
Pirate Bases respawn quickly (might even be immediate, but I'm not sure) in some different, probably random location.
Pirate Anarchy Ports respawn eventually in the same location.
Thrake wrote: Do you have good tricks to locate pirate stations?
My most comprehensive way to locate Pirate Bases is to use a CLS2 ship with a Logistician (ie. maximum level) pilot, and to use Generate Waypoints for a ware carried by all Pirate Bases (I think slaves may work, if not, use space fuel, though you will also get those legit stations that handle it.) The waypoint list will now show you all locations for that ware for sectors that you have on your map, even if you haven't discovered those stations - so you can either go to those sectors and look around, or you can put that CLS2 ship to work in some way and it will *eventually* (if you've planned its activities well) map in all those bases.
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

Thrake
x3ap

Post by Thrake » Fri, 15. Dec 17, 16:58

RAVEN.myst wrote:
Thrake wrote:Do pirate heavens respawn?
Pirate Bases respawn quickly (might even be immediate, but I'm not sure) in some different, probably random location.
Pirate Anarchy Ports respawn eventually in the same location.
Thrake wrote: Do you have good tricks to locate pirate stations?
My most comprehensive way to locate Pirate Bases is to use a CLS2 ship with a Logistician (ie. maximum level) pilot, and to use Generate Waypoints for a ware carried by all Pirate Bases (I think slaves may work, if not, use space fuel, though you will also get those legit stations that handle it.) The waypoint list will now show you all locations for that ware for sectors that you have on your map, even if you haven't discovered those stations - so you can either go to those sectors and look around, or you can put that CLS2 ship to work in some way and it will *eventually* (if you've planned its activities well) map in all those bases.
Great thanks. You just saved me the trouble of feeling like I need defend an anarchy port :) It's just a few slaves and weed after all.

Well, I've got to say I felt there were OPed things in the bonus pack so I passed it. Maybe you'll get me onboard someday though, with all that CLS bragging :(

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Fri, 15. Dec 17, 20:04

Thrake wrote: Well, I've got to say I felt there were OPed things in the bonus pack so I passed it. Maybe you'll get me onboard someday though, with all that CLS bragging :(
I usually think that Egosoft has gone too far in keeping "overpowered" things out of the bonus pack, myself...and as most people will attest the idea of me playing without CLS is...ummmm...remote.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Fri, 15. Dec 17, 20:29

"Remote", Tim? Now there's an understatement if ever I saw one! :D

Personally, I think that the Bonus Pack contains essentials that were developed afterward/externally once the subtle emergent dynamics of the game... ermm... emerged... :S Also, once holes were identified. I do wish that the updated CAG and CLS scripts were made non-*** modified ***, as then I'd gladly use them (hell, Terran development would become considerably less traumatic! Then again, the divided territory does present unique challenges. I see Terran rather as beginner-friendly fight-wise, but advanced in terms of economic play.)

I also don't see myself playing without CLS (except, rarely, in a pure-Terran, fight-biased playthrough), and certainly not without CAG. Other must-have elements for me are the missile defense mosquito, the turrets on/off hotkey (X3AP only), dockware manager, and the turbo booster. (There's a few more that are subtle but also important, they slip my mind at the moment.)

A nice-to-have for me, lately, is SEWN (unless it's in the base game; X3AP only), and it's likely to become another highly used feature.

Hephaestus construction is a nice option that I almost never use, but like to have available when I'm really lazy or on the extremely rare occasions when I build a large complex that I find impractical to hand-craft.

Trade Command Software Mk.3 I don't use. Ever. At all. I think that's about the only Bonus Pack item I don't use. All in all, I consider the BP an essential toolbox.
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 15. Dec 17, 20:38

RAVEN.myst wrote:...
Trade Command Software Mk.3 I don't use. Ever. At all. I think that's about the only Bonus Pack item I don't use. All in all, I consider the BP an essential toolbox.
TCS Mk3 hasn't been part of the bonus pack since X2. It's part of the base game for Reunion, TC and AP. Just to clarify. :wink:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Fri, 15. Dec 17, 21:09

Nanook wrote:
RAVEN.myst wrote:...
TCS Mk3 hasn't been part of the bonus pack since X2. It's part of the base game for Reunion, TC and AP. Just to clarify. :wink:
Ah, thanks :) (BP is part of my game installation procedure - I haven't so much as seen the game not wearing it since... ever! Well, except once when I installed the BP to the wrong folder... What a noob! :S ) In that case, there seems to be not a single thing in the BP that I don't use :D
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

SirNukes
x4

Post by SirNukes » Sat, 16. Dec 17, 09:15

My general, semi-immersive pirate base finding method is to check the flight info on a bunch of npc traders and couriers. Sometimes they will announce a pirate base and sector on their flight plan. You can head to that sector to search for it, or set a ship to follow the trader and eventually uncover the base. If you have an asset in the Duke's HQ sector, pulling up their owned ship list is a quick way to find traders heading to pirate bases.

Joe McCracken
x3tc

Post by Joe McCracken » Mon, 1. Jan 18, 06:07

The scanning pirates thing still works in AP. I do it all the time.

It will not work on the ones that launch out of pirate bases that have space fuel or weed in the leader. They are just :evil: to everyone.
I'd like to shoot you in the butt with a EBC gun, hide in the asteroids and laugh at what I done, put a blood blister upon each bun, I'd like to shoot you in the butt with a EBC gun.
Some people are like slinkies, not worth a whole lot, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Mon, 1. Jan 18, 07:56

@Joe McCracken: Hey, thanks for that - good to know! :)
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”