Just started. Even docked at station, always get Save Failed message - Resolved.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

jviar
x3tc

Just started. Even docked at station, always get Save Failed message - Resolved.

Post by jviar » Fri, 3. Nov 17, 03:38

Just started playing X3TC, and I simply cannot save a game. I dock up with a station, but still no luck.

I've been looking over some of the suggestions to resolve this, but so far have not found anything relevant.

There was no x99.sav file, or any other file inside the save folder.

I'm running Windows 10

Can anyone help me? I"d like to pay this game, but if I cannot save, there's not much point.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 3. Nov 17, 09:23

Please provide the information requested at the top of the forum, specifically your [url=http://www.egosoft.com/support/faq/faq_answer_en.php?answer=610&version=8][b]DX[/b][b]D[/b]iag[/url] report and whether or not your game is modified.

As general suggestions, check that you have plenty of disk space on the drive your Documents folder is stored on, and maybe try temporarily disabling your anti-virus software to see if that's preventing access to the savegame folder. If you're running the game from Steam then you can also try a File Verification from the Steam client to make sure nothing is missing.

Khaakbuster
x3tc

Post by Khaakbuster » Fri, 3. Nov 17, 09:56

Savegames are stored in "C:\Users\<your user name>\Documents\Egosoft\X3TC\save". Try to create a new text file in that folder to make sure that permissions are set correctly. If that doesn't work the game will also not be able to create a new file there. In that case you'd have to check permissions and correct them.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 3. Nov 17, 12:36

... In particular, make sure that each of the folders on the directory path that Khaakbuster mentioned is NOT set to 'read only'. That read only flag is sometimes set when you copy and paste or move folders. You should not have done any of that in this case as that is where the save folder is first created and must be kept, but the folder flag setting is still worth a check.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

jviar
x3tc

Post by jviar » Sat, 4. Nov 17, 00:24

CBJ wrote:Please provide the information requested at the top of the forum, specifically your DXDiag report and whether or not your game is modified.

As general suggestions, check that you have plenty of disk space on the drive your Documents folder is stored on, and maybe try temporarily disabling your anti-virus software to see if that's preventing access to the savegame folder. If you're running the game from Steam then you can also try a File Verification from the Steam client to make sure nothing is missing.
I'm at work right now, but will get the dxdiag info up at first opportunity.

I can say for certain that I have tons of space on the drive holding the My Documents folder. I am running from Steam and will try your suggestion. Thanks.

jviar
x3tc

Post by jviar » Sat, 4. Nov 17, 00:28

Alan Phipps wrote:... In particular, make sure that each of the folders on the directory path that Khaakbuster mentioned is NOT set to 'read only'. That read only flag is sometimes set when you copy and paste or move folders. You should not have done any of that in this case as that is where the save folder is first created and must be kept, but the folder flag setting is still worth a check.
I think you have it. I did no copying and pasting, but the folder for saves is flagged as "Read only." Strangely, when I try to remove that flag, it seems as though it doing so, but when I check it again, it's still flagged in that manner. I"m thinking on trying to figure that one out tonight. I'm on as an administrator on my comp.

Khaakbuster
x3tc

Post by Khaakbuster » Sat, 4. Nov 17, 00:50

Actually the folders below "C:\Users\<your user name>" should inherit the permissions from "C:\Users\<your user name>". So if you check for example permissions for "C:\Users\<your user name>\Documents\Egosoft\X3TC" it should state that SYSTEM, Administrators and your user account have full access to that folder and this set of permissions was inherited from "C:\Users\<your user name>". If it doesn't show that anymore you can reestablish inheriting of permissions.

jviar
x3tc

Post by jviar » Sat, 4. Nov 17, 02:02

Thanks guys. With what you folks told me, I was able to find the answer. It was permissions, and it was a "read only" flag. I had to set the correct folder permissions in order to get rid of the "read only."

My game is now saving properly.

You guys rock.

Lexus666
x3tc

Post by Lexus666 » Sun, 10. Dec 17, 07:02

Well mine is not resolved. Done everything that I have read from these posts and the steam forums with no luck. This seems to be nothing about permissions as the games appears to create the right folders but there is nothing saved. This is also true for profiles. I can go to create or copy one, it creates the folder but again no folder contents.
Is this a windows 10, 64 bit or am I missing something?

Edit: Thanks to Steam's free weekend I can report that not one version of X3 will save. Also, EgoSoft obviously know EXACTLY why the game will not save but why not be specific so I can know what to bloody do? :evil:

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 10. Dec 17, 13:39

@ Lexus666: Well obviously you do have an overlooked issue with writing to those 'Your Document' folder areas whether from permissions, AV or protective app interventions, or some other issue local to yourself. No, it is not an inherent Win10 x64 or gamecode issue else all of us with Win10 would all be having it with X games!

As we know nothing about your system, set up, your apps, nor what you have already tried then we cannot really help you very much - so no, neither we nor Egosoft know exactly what causes your issue.

Lexus666
x3tc

Post by Lexus666 » Mon, 11. Dec 17, 21:16

It may be 'obvious' and there is little information as to why it could be a problem. Maybe if the game would actually give a clue as to why it can't save a game even though the game can 'obviously' create folders to install the game. Nice to know that you straight to blaming my computer or me when no other programs from AutoCAD to the multitude of games work 100% without having to resort to changing rights, permissions or folder sharing as documented in other users having the same problem.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 11. Dec 17, 22:37

Well the blindingly obvious bit is that I (and many, many others) don't have your issue yet have the vanilla games and Win10 x64. Also I didn't have to change any system settings, permissions, etc to play; the advice you see in that area is aimed at people whose systems, options or set ups have been changed either by themselves or by their other apps. :wink:

As I said above, if you don't want to tell us anything about your system etc, then we really cannot help you. :gruebel:

My best guess in the absence of any information would be that one of your protection apps is interfering with saves etc to Your Documents. (Windows Defender and BitDefender are known to do this depending upon how the user sets them up.)

Another thing I can possibly guess as a possibility is if you are not logging in with the same account and administrative rights details as the owner of the Documents folder.

aznvtboi

Post by aznvtboi » Thu, 14. Dec 17, 03:54

Check your firewall. Bitdefender was blocking the x3 app. After unblocking, i was able to save with no issues.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”