EnglishGermanFrenchRussianItalianSpanish

HI Will my pc play X4
View previous topic :: View next topic
Terran Jupiter

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Thu, 7. Dec 17, 18:22    Post subject: HI Will my pc play X4 Reply with quote Print

Hewlet-Packard

Windows 10

System type 64 bit x 64 based processor
Ram 8.00 GB
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU N3700 @ 1.60 GHz
Graphics Intel(R) HD Graphics

I alrady play XR, Elite and Dangerus sins of a solar empire, and suprem ruler on this system do you think that will be enouph?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT

PostPosted: Thu, 7. Dec 17, 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

As we've already said, it's too early to say what the system requirements will be; however, frankly I think yours may struggle.

Terran Jupiter

PostPosted: Thu, 7. Dec 17, 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

only issue I have in XR is gas clouds and asteroid fields tend to slow me down a bit. For example I like to set up in Molten Arcon I think its called and Lava Flow is the only zone that slows my frame rate down.

Will there not be options to help people who can not afford hundreds of pounds for new pc to maybe reduce the intensity of these things so that PC's like mine can run it iv followed the series since X2 but not going to shell out hundreds just to play 1 game.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT

PostPosted: Thu, 7. Dec 17, 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Unlike most games, X series games simulate the full game universe. This makes them quite CPU-intensive, and isn't something that can be turned down like you can with graphics options.

Spaceman Sublime

PostPosted: Thu, 7. Dec 17, 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I think what Terran Jupiter is asking for is something akin to a "particle density and/or detail" option/slider

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT

PostPosted: Thu, 7. Dec 17, 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Again, particle density and detail option sliders are purely graphical tweaks. They have little or no effect on CPU usage, which is mostly taken up with universe simulation. With many PCs, especially lower-end ones, being entirely CPU-bound in X series games, graphical tweaks won't make any difference.

Spaceman Sublime

PostPosted: Thu, 7. Dec 17, 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

in that case, if you dont want to spend money, the most you can do is set your processor to its max frequency (if locked) or a higher freequency (if unlocked), considering you cooling is good enough for that, close as many other processes as possible when playing, and set x4 to a higher resource priority

csaba

PostPosted: Thu, 7. Dec 17, 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Intel graphics cards tend to fall off quite hard as they age. The game simply might not recognize it if it comes out let say 2 years from now.

On the CPU side even if you can run the game in a relatively playable state on a lower end system, you're hardware will still have to run at its absolute maximum as long the game is on. While newer builds will have times where they can cool down or they run cooler to begin with.
The longer you play on an old system like yours the more likely you'll damage it. I burnt an older notebook while playing XR because it couldn't handle the strain anymore and lost it's dedicated video card in the process. It was like a heater during play sessions.

koyuka

PostPosted: Thu, 7. Dec 17, 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

This may have been covered previously, apologies if so. But how is X4 at using multiple cpu cores? Considering getting a Ryzen 1600 (6 core 12 threads) and just wondering if it is worth it or whether I should look for a Quad core intel with higher processor speed.

I think I read somewhere that X4 will use one cpu core for processing scripts etc, another for something else/sound? and so will only use 2-3 cores at the most. The rest will be useful for Windows and background tasks out of the game but other than this more than 4 cores wont have little benefit.

Is this correct? Thanks

Slashman

PostPosted: Thu, 7. Dec 17, 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Watch youtube streams of Lets Plays is likely your best bet.

I honestly don't get the attitude of not wanting to upgrade a PC "for just one game". Every other game you play will benefit from the upgrade. Your old system will eventually die anyway...then lack of available parts will force an even more harsh upgrade path in all likelihood.

I finally upgraded my rig that I had been running for almost 7 years a couple months ago. The stuff STILL runs, I just wanted to get onto a hardware base that I could find parts for. Sold my stuff to a friend who is gaming just fine. That old i5/Gigabyte board got me through so many hours of gaming it isn't even funny. Including 160+ hours of Witcher 3.

You do NOT have to upgrade often if you build a decent rig in the first place. Then you can still offload your old stuff for cash toward new stuff when the day finally comes. Build smart, not uber cheap.

csaba

modified
PostPosted: Thu, 7. Dec 17, 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

koyuka wrote:
This may have been covered previously, apologies if so. But how is X4 at using multiple cpu cores? Considering getting a Ryzen 1600 (6 core 12 threads) and just wondering if it is worth it or whether I should look for a Quad core intel with higher processor speed.

I think I read somewhere that X4 will use one cpu core for processing scripts etc, another for something else/sound? and so will only use 2-3 cores at the most. The rest will be useful for Windows and background tasks out of the game but other than this more than 4 cores wont have little benefit.

Is this correct? Thanks

I think it's probably too early to say how the game will be optimized. However I'd say a good Quad would be a better bet. 6 core processors ain't something everyone can buy at the moment and if you want to make you're game profitable you have to make it available to a relatively wide audience.

I'd say 4 cores is what the standard will be in 2-3 years so look in that direction and if you can wait with a purchase (because you specifically want it for this game) then wait until before release when you'll have better options since there is still a lot of time until sales start.

Last edited by csaba on Thu, 7. Dec 17, 22:13; edited 1 time in total
cutterjohn

PostPosted: Thu, 7. Dec 17, 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

CBJ wrote:
Unlike most games, X series games simulate the full game universe. This makes them quite CPU-intensive, and isn't something that can be turned down like you can with graphics options.
I'd like to say that you guys can PROBABLY at LEAST give a GENERAL guideline as to the lowest end, e.g. quad core and maybe whether or not hyperthreading is useful to X4's engine.

I'm going to guess that e.g. my system AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, 32GB, w10x64pro, 1070 FTW is PROBABLY at least MID? range although I expect by the time that this is released to be on a 1950X(or whatever replaces it w/Zen+ @ most likely 64+GB and something between a vega 56 and oh probably a 1080 TI dependent upon price, availability etc, but bear in min I tend to max CPU and sit on that while everything else tends to upgrade over time as I GENERALLY expect desktop builds to last 5+y ESPECIALLY given today's CPU design environment, i.e. minimal IPC improvement, frequency, etc. leaving still memory AND GPU best abng-for-the-buck updates as of right now).

Anyways, just saying, and now that I look at even what Intel is doing probably hex core would be minimal as quad is looking to rapidly becoming low end BUT w/Intel you'd also have to specifiy CPU instruction set 'features' as Intel REALLY LIKES to further artificially gimp their CPUs when segmenting.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT

PostPosted: Thu, 7. Dec 17, 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

koyuka wrote:
This may have been covered previously...

Yes.

koyuka wrote:
Is this correct? Thanks

Not quite, no.

As with X Rebirth, X4 will use two cores pretty heavily for its primary activities (simulation and rendering) and as many other cores as are available for other peripheral tasks (such as path-finding and asset loading). Drivers and APIs used by the game, such as Vulkan, may also be able to make use of more than one core. Overall, the game is likely to work best on a system with at least 4 cores, and the benefits of more than that will probably tail off fairly rapidly.

As csaba pointed out, though, the Intel on-board graphics isn't going to help matters, not only in performance terms but also because their driver support tends to lag behind NVidia and AMD.

heyhellowhatsnew

PostPosted: Fri, 8. Dec 17, 03:49    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

by the time the game comes out, you will already have a better computer! Laughing

nemesis1982

PostPosted: Tue, 12. Dec 17, 13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Wow I'm surprised XR is usable on that proc with that graphics chipset!

Intel graphics chipsets aren't really meant for gaming.

If/when you upgrade I would advise making a non low end upgrade. For instance:
I just upgraded from a i7-2700k, 16GB RAM, 570TI and intel SSD build 7 years ago. It still runs just about anything on mid quality settings. Upgraded because I got a 4k TV (and the missus demanding something smaller, the huge silver tower didn't fit well in our living room Razz). Which will now be replacing my friends (and my previous) system with a Athlon 64 X2-4200+, 8GB RAM and dual 7800GTXs which runs Windows 10 and even some less demanding games (the system is 12 years old, only thing to be replaced is the 10K dual disk array with an SSD), the 12 year old system still runs better than budged systems I've seen some buy.

Now I have a i7-7700k, 32GB RAM, 1080TI, new high speed Samsung 1TB SSD and water-cooling for both CPU and graphics. All packed nicely into a small HTPC case with the water cooling blocks behind it. I expect I will be using the new system for many years to come and am not expecting any issues with X4 Smile

One tip though! DO NOT BUY ATI! A good NVidea card will last you much, much longer since they will keep the driver support. ATI will drop driver support for any card that is older than 3 or 4 years and rely on the MS drivers.

@koyuka: Assuming the threading profile does not change much from XR I would recommend a quad core since their single thread performance is higher and most work is done on the 2 main threads. Of course it would be best to wait Wink

@Number of cores: Really depends on the application. What you will be using it for.

@cutterjohn: Giving a minimum spec is very tricky. What if they give a minimum spec and for some reason it won't run on it? They'll get many, many angry fans.

@heyhellowhatsnew: Let's hope ES learned from XR Wink