Dirk Gently

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Wed, 6. Dec 17, 17:47

mrbadger wrote:
The first Dirk Gently book began its life as a script for Dr Who.

An unused script obviously.

Most likely because Professor Chronos would have been a second Timelord on Earth, and that might have caused issues later. I'm guessing on that part. I only know the first bit for certain.
Shada was the script and it was used as I mentioned before.
A flower?

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Thu, 7. Dec 17, 16:06

BugMeister wrote:- the US TV series, currently showing on Netflix, is a much darker affair than the original books..
- murder and mayhem all over the place, not a bit like the original UK version..

- it's still a crazy mad comedy of chaos, but it's been ratchetted up a good deal
- excellent stuff, a brilliant cast and a completely off-the-wall plot line.. :D
I was wondering about that. I read a quick summary about the books, and it was distinctly lacking severed body parts

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Fri, 8. Dec 17, 03:10

fiksal wrote:
BugMeister wrote:- the US TV series, currently showing on Netflix, is a much darker affair than the original books..
- murder and mayhem all over the place, not a bit like the original UK version..

- it's still a crazy mad comedy of chaos, but it's been ratchetted up a good deal
- excellent stuff, a brilliant cast and a completely off-the-wall plot line.. :D
I was wondering about that. I read a quick summary about the books, and it was distinctly lacking severed body parts
Which was reaaaaaaalllyyyyy unnescessary, btw. Just for the sake of looking a little bit more trashy then it already did.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sun, 31. Dec 17, 23:48

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 1. Jan 18, 21:01

Oops... Oh well, that's too bad. I think the actors were great, but I simply could not get interested in the series. It might be a case in which the books provided for a better medium for this sort of story. (Didn't read those, either.)

Ya know what I hunger for in a possible television series? A good old "film noir" take on "Private Investigator/Detective" story that takes place in a properly "campy", sometimes dramatic, science-fiction/fantasy setting.

There have been attempts, like Butcher's "Harry Dresden" (cancelled due to programming constraints), the "Alien Nation" series and a few others/standalones, more recently Netflix's "Bright."

Haven't seen "Bright" yet, but I think I'd love a series based on it. I'd also love a proper science-fiction detective series based on something with a similar flavor of the movie "Outland." I'd want a bit of humor/camp, now and then, for an "Outland'ish" sort of series. (Get it? Humor, camp? "Outlandish?" I made a "funny! No, nobody has to laugh... )

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 2. Jan 18, 17:04

I've watched a couple of episodes.

I've struggled to like it. Had it not been for my bosses insistence that it was great I wouldn't have bothered after the first one. I think I'll not bother with any more now.

I can't say I'm surprised it got canned. I'm rather surprised it got a second season. That first episode was a mess.

The British attempt was much better. I don't think it was bad that they only made one season of that. Better one season of great quality than several seasons of drivel.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Tue, 2. Jan 18, 17:58

Oh well so it is.

Return to “Off Topic English”