X3ap_bonus_pack_5.1.0.0(1).exe is a threat?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Mon, 27. Nov 17, 21:13

Terre wrote:
X3ap_bonus_pack_5.1.0.0(1).exe
Dosen't the one within the brackets indicate that you already have a copy of the download. If you scan that with your AV, do alarm bells sound?
OK, now I am even more confused, the file appears to be still with the game, which is also running fine. I have one HD, which is split into two, so c and d. I have one copy of ap, on c and two on d. Norton says it has removed the bonus pack from c, but things appear to be unaltered, d is not mentioned by Norton. However I think the file is still there, not sure, because I am stupid! Norton appears to be trying to affect the download exe. record, in the downloads section, but only one of the versions!

What is more Norton has twice today claimed to act and remove the same file, from the same place! Oddly enough the file is still there, in fact there are two other copies, which Norton likes! WTF?

I also redownloaded Malwarebytes last night; scanned and Norton has blocked that too, from doing something to Norton, I presume in the scan I told MB to do.

It has also blocked: windows\system32\svchost.exe from affecting Norton. I am losing confidence in Norton now... :roll:

You are right about backup mrbadger too, I am very bad. It has been a very, very long time since I did a proper back up. :oops: Which of the current cloning software do you recommend? Norton Ghost was used in the past I think... :roll:

Edit: Ah Paragon backup 15 alan, I have just looked that up and PC mag gives it only 2.5 out of 5.
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Mon, 27. Nov 17, 21:39

Morkonan wrote:Personally, I think everyone should be as paranoid as the most wanted hacker on the planet. Everyone should be using encrypted-everything with every encrypted, anonymous, bit of stuff that's possible to use and still be able to get one's machine to function.
This sort of attitude is nonsense, though. Any security advice that starts with "you should take these inconvenient steps" is going to get ignored. Rule #1 of security: If your security measure is inconvenient, your users will find a convenient way to circumvent it. Corollary: if your security measure is "you should do this", they won't. Relatedly: The more disproportionate to the actual threat your proposed security measures are, the less seriously anyone will take them. Also relevant: changing your behaviour is inconvenient in itself, even if the changed version is easier. [1]

A better security idea to teach is this: Start by asking what you want to protect, and from whom. Go from there. Telling J Random User, who really only cares that they don't lose their files, money, or dignity, to take a battery of measures suited to protect you from "Putin has it in for me personally", would cost more in lost productivity than it ever saved in security if anybody was ever going to actually listen to you in the first place.

The security industry is slowly beginning to wake up to the idea that we need to make good security convenient, and pick our battles, but it's a damn slow process. [6]

[1] This is why nobody really listens to me when I say "you don't need antivirus any more, just use Windows 10 and for god's sake patch" [2]. When I say "just Windows Defender is fine", they don't hear "AV is pretty irrelevant", they hear "use this AV I heard somebody say isn't very good!" Because we wasted a *decade* teaching everybody that Security == Antivirus, because early Windows versions were so laughably insecure that you needed to pay a third party to crash around in your kernel patching things at random [3] just to beat any malware you might bump into to the punch. Microsoft finally cracked down on this after XP and kicked all the third parties out of the kernel with driver signing enforcement [4] because a significant chunk of the crash dumps they got were caused by AV misbehaving. By this point they were taking security seriously as well, but they couldn't just shrug and say "right, AV isn't needed any more" because we'd trained everybody to assume that not having AV was the depth of insecurity by this point! [5]

[2] Microsoft have, with typical Microsoft aplomb, managed to shoot themselves in the foot on this. Users don't install patches because it's inconvenient. Chrome and Firefox both update themselves automatically now to deal with this - Firefox will occasionally mention that it has updated to you; Chrome just does it completely silently and you'll never notice. Nobody complains about these things, because nobody notices, which is basically the definition of convenience, and it makes everyone MUCH more secure. Meanwhile, everybody complains CONSTANTLY about Windows forcing updates on you because it takes ten minutes and inconvenient reboots. I honestly have no idea why Windows updates are so clunky - any given desktop Linux distro can update nearly anything silently in the background if you configure it to (which is increasingly the default) and occasionally ask for a reboot if you've had a kernel/core library update.

[3] Ever wonder why you couldn't run two antiviruses at once? Yeah, this.

[4] Which caused a spectacular inconvenience drama itself.

[5] Also, they'd created a massive secondary market which would have been DEEPLY unhappy about having their business model just turned back off again.

[6] See also: recent changes to password advice along the lines of "oh hey remember that thing where we told you to change your password every three months? We finally thought about checking what people actually *do* when we tell them to do that and, oh hey, turns out it doesn't actually help, so never mind that. Just try and use good passwords, use a password manager, and change stuff if you think it's actually been compromised." But I bet you still have to change your password at work every three months, because again we wasted a decade training people that Security == Regular Password Changes and now it's ingrained in the popular consciousness as Necessary no matter how stupid it is.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 27. Nov 17, 22:35

greypanther wrote: Edit: Ah Paragon backup 15 alan, I have just looked that up and PC mag gives it only 2.5 out of 5.
you don't need to worry about that score.

It works, at the level of a single user that's all you need, and given that Windows is your primary OS, you do need it, or something like it, and given that you know Alan Phipps uses it and you can likely ask for help, I'd get that.

On my Windows and Linux Boxes I only back up my personal files, not the OS, that only needs you to copy the files yourself.

MacOS has a great built in backup system that I really like.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 28. Nov 17, 09:10

mrbadger wrote: But I have a quadruple backed up system, with each backup independent of the other, and two of those backups are only connected to my system when they are being updated. There is almost no chance a virus can wipe out my files.
But if you're not running AV, how do you know when you get a virus infection? They're not all obvious, and once the virus is on your system it can spread to any attached filesystem, so you might end up infecting your "only on update" backups without realising it.

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Tue, 28. Nov 17, 09:23

pjknibbs wrote:
mrbadger wrote: But I have a quadruple backed up system, with each backup independent of the other, and two of those backups are only connected to my system when they are being updated. There is almost no chance a virus can wipe out my files.
But if you're not running AV, how do you know when you get a virus infection? They're not all obvious, and once the virus is on your system it can spread to any attached filesystem, so you might end up infecting your "only on update" backups without realising it.
To be fair, this sort of thing is increasingly uncommon. Firstly, modern malware is almost exclusively there to make money, so the fact that you have a virus is usually obvious in a "why is there a big banner telling me my files are encrypted now" or "why is my bank account suddenly empty" sort of way.

And secondly, file infecting is a dying art given exploitable document formats are rare and system binaries enforce signature verification. Definitely still happens, but it's less of an issue.

Also: if you *are* running AV, how do you know when you get a virus infection? It's probably not going to trigger your AV until it's to late anyway because the authors will have tested. Not getting infected in the first place by using a secure OS is a much better approach.
Last edited by red assassin on Tue, 28. Nov 17, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 28. Nov 17, 10:20

pjknibbs wrote:
First off

My final level of backup is a drive, well currently two drives because I have yet to go to 10tb for this stage, in a drawer, that only get connected once every six months or so to be updated.

So these only get updated rarely, from a backup I am pretty sure is itself safe (never from my 'live' system).

Secondly, as Red Assassin says, destructive viruses are quite rare these days, its more likely to be a ransomware or financially motivated attack, and that's what I'm protecting myself from.

I have a better backup system at home then I do for my clusters at work. That's not for lack of trying mind.

Trying to get funding for the amount of backup hardware I want isn't easy, given how expensive disks look to people who don't get the importance of a decent data backup scheme.

It might be easier when my OpenStack system goes live for all the faculty. At that point a data loss scenario would be a tad serious.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 28. Nov 17, 14:54

red assassin wrote:...Rule #1 of security: If your security measure is inconvenient, your users will find a convenient way to circumvent it. ...
I agree.

Return to “Off Topic English”