EnglishGermanFrenchRussianItalianSpanish
Log inRegister
 
No useless ships
Post new topic Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Useless NPC ships?
Keep them to make universe seem more busy
78%
 78%  [ 93 ]
Leave them out of the game
21%
 21%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 119

Author Message
Clownmug





Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 168 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Fri, 22. Sep 17, 05:04    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Might as well get rid of all those useless stars and planets too since we'll never be able fly to them. Rolling Eyes

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Crimsonraziel





Joined: 27 Jul 2008
Posts: 645 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Fri, 22. Sep 17, 09:25    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Clownmug wrote:
Might as well get rid of all those useless stars and planets too since we'll never be able fly to them. Rolling Eyes


You sir, are a genius!


_________________
Don't make me hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry!
Boron #MakeNishalaGreatAgain #BoronLivesMatter Boron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BigBANGtheory





Joined: 23 Oct 2005
Posts: 2321 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Fri, 22. Sep 17, 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

imho XR advanced the feel of a more living universe something X3 was frequently criticized for, I say keep them whilst they add to that ambience but cull them when necessary for performance.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Killjaeden





Joined: 03 Sep 2006
Posts: 4853 on topic
Location: Germany
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Sat, 23. Sep 17, 00:54    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

BigBANGtheory wrote:
imho XR advanced the feel of a more living universe something X3 was frequently criticized for, I say keep them whilst they add to that ambience but cull them when necessary for performance.


Didnt GTA have amount of civ's and traffic slider as gameplay/graphical option? I think this would be a good way.


_________________

Tutorial Custom Turrets; Guide advice on placing turrets; Guide Performance of Models
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
monster.zero





Joined: 16 Feb 2016



PostPosted: Sat, 23. Sep 17, 01:03    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

More ships the better.

There should be millions of star ships flying around the 'city'.

Probably 10-20 billion ships in the galaxy.


Heck...Earth has 3 billion+ vehicles.

If you traveled back in time and told some one in 1899 that there would be billions of horseless carriages driving around...they would have called you crazy!

Fast forward to 2017....There will be billions of personal spacecraft flying around in the year 2117.


_________________
DEC BC ; Decrease the counter
LD A, B ; Load one byte of the counter into the accumulator
OR C ; Bitwise OR with the other byte
JR NZ, Loop
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aven Valkyr





Joined: 14 Mar 2014
Posts: 158 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Wed, 15. Nov 17, 01:53    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

If the dynamic game engine is well made, there will be no need for "fluff". The universe will already be extremely busy with ships flying all around, doing their thing. I even hope we see stations filled with captains that are fulfilling orders or picking up contracts. I hope the dynamic element of this game is carried deeply throughout its theme. I hope the whole game is built around the dynamic content, every little detail fulfilling some purpose.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mr.WHO





Joined: 12 Oct 2006
Posts: 2706 on topic
Location: Wroclaw - Poland
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Wed, 15. Nov 17, 17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

monster.zero wrote:
More ships the better.

There should be millions of star ships flying around the 'city'.

Probably 10-20 billion ships in the galaxy.



Modern day's CPU beg to differ. Ask again when we will have comercially viable quantum CPU.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thrangar



MEDALMEDAL

Joined: 06 Nov 2002
Posts: 1150 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Wed, 15. Nov 17, 17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I thought everything was made from scratch, wouldn't that be a huge draw on mineral resourses to make FLUFF ships?

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
spankahontis





Joined: 02 Nov 2010
Posts: 2022 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Wed, 15. Nov 17, 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

thrangar wrote:
I thought everything was made from scratch, wouldn't that be a huge draw on mineral resourses to make FLUFF ships?



Minerals will probably be like all previous X Games and respawn or the economy would collapse.

These XS Vehicles will be the BMW's, Chevrolets, Toyota's of the X Universe.
Tiny consumer friendly vehicles intended only for 'short-distance' travel, like cars, they would need something like a Ferry/Carrier type ship of much larger size in order to go further distance.
But for a Factory worker that lives on a Station and needs to travel to another Station the other side of the Zone , they would need something small and cheap like an XS Vehicle.
The Highway System for zone to zone travel.

Resources to build them will be very small as well, seeing as they have no boosters, shields, weapons, they are civilian vehicles big enough for 1/2 people.
It wouldn't be a burden on resources, if this Planet we live on can sell us cars, computers, etc. A vast Universe of near limitless asteroids floating in Space wont be a problem for the population.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thrangar



MEDALMEDAL

Joined: 06 Nov 2002
Posts: 1150 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Wed, 15. Nov 17, 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

spankahontis wrote:
thrangar wrote:
I thought everything was made from scratch, wouldn't that be a huge draw on mineral resourses to make FLUFF ships?



Minerals will probably be like all previous X Games and respawn or the economy would collapse.

These XS Vehicles will be the BMW's, Chevrolets, Toyota's of the X Universe.
Tiny consumer friendly vehicles intended only for 'short-distance' travel, like cars, they would need something like a Ferry/Carrier type ship of much larger size in order to go further distance.
But for a Factory worker that lives on a Station and needs to travel to another Station the other side of the Zone , they would need something small and cheap like an XS Vehicle.
The Highway System for zone to zone travel.

Resources to build them will be very small as well, seeing as they have no boosters, shields, weapons, they are civilian vehicles big enough for 1/2 people.
It wouldn't be a burden on resources, if this Planet we live on can sell us cars, computers, etc. A vast Universe of near limitless asteroids floating in Space wont be a problem for the population.


No what I mean, is not that it can be explained by how large the universe is but...If we want war between the races and military ships are needed(constantly) really how much game resourses and or priority building will be allotted to Fluff ships....not against this but, will be surprised if this comes to fruition

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Greenhorn





Joined: 11 Aug 2005
Posts: 88 on topic
Location: USA Palmdale, California
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Wed, 15. Nov 17, 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Hmm, I didn't vote ,maybe im confused or ,is egosoft confussed, but,they said in, twitch,real economy-which ships come from somewhere, where there built.,i would expect real traffic where those ships came from,would you think so?.if I see traffic of ships I, the player would think theres something important where they came from, point a to point b,advantages or disadvantgees in traveling somewhere, if you have fake traffic you lose the players confidence of what is real and what is really fake?and.will throw off players( common sense of thinking), do you agree?.Note; I haven played x rebirth but x3 terran conflict- albine prelude I have.bye all.


_________________
Running latest Steam X3: Albion Prelude .v 3.1 + bonus pack.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
patient zero





Joined: 25 Mar 2007
Posts: 292 on topic
Location: NC, USA
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Thu, 16. Nov 17, 01:06    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Sometimes I like to go sightseeing, driving around with no actual destination just to get out of the house for awhile. It probably seems useless to people who have somewhere to go and wish I would get out of their way, but I do it anyway because it's fun.


_________________
This is only a virtual reality.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aven Valkyr





Joined: 14 Mar 2014
Posts: 158 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Thu, 16. Nov 17, 01:09    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

After reviewing the videos of XR and seeing all the busy station traffic I came to a conclusion.

I feel that there should be a mix of fluff ships and non-fluff ships. I mean, any ship you see in a highway, or out and about within the sector, doing something, should be ships that are assets of some sort in the game that are controlled by the dynamic content. So any actual SHIP in the game should not be a fluff ship.

That being said, I do like all the little things buzzing around the stations. I like the little policing ships with their flashing lights. It makes no difference to me if buddy wants to hop in his space rover and go to the local pub for a drink. Or like a little ambulance rover that is buzzing across the station. It's these little details that bring things to life, so I think you could do that, have like little space cars flying all around like you did in XR.

So my answer is not really a part of the poll questions

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rulerofallcheese





Joined: 16 Mar 2017



PostPosted: Thu, 16. Nov 17, 02:25    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

They should be removed from highways so they aren't as cluttered.

Anywhere else, i don't really care.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Morkonan





Joined: 25 Sep 2011
Posts: 1592 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Thu, 16. Nov 17, 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

patient zero wrote:
Sometimes I like to go sightseeing, driving around with no actual destination just to get out of the house for awhile. It probably seems useless to people who have somewhere to go and wish I would get out of their way, but I do it anyway because it's fun.


^---- This.

I too, like to go for a drive. Seeing new things, relaxing as one travels down the road, maybe on a comfortable trip through some nice scenery.

I especially love it when I enter a new sector and hear the screams of a Boron M5 pilot as he paints himself all over the side of my TL as I come through the gate. Hey, if you're going to travel, you might as well "do it big," right? Smile

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
Control Panel
Login Data
The time now is Fri, 17. Nov 17, 21:40

All times are GMT + 2 Hours


Board Security

Copyright © EGOSOFT 1989-2017
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Template created by Avatar & BurnIt!
Debug: page generation = 0.46842 seconds, sql queries = 31