System overide software

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

PowerTrip
x3tc

System overide software

Post by PowerTrip » Sat, 4. Nov 17, 18:40

I found system override software, I bought it and found out its illegal....how do you use it?
Live for Love. Strive for Peace. Fight for Freedom. Search for Truth. Shout for Justice. Look for Respect. Ask for Help. Pray for Wisdom. Allow for Change. Suffer for Nought. Die for Honor.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Re: System overide software

Post by RAVEN.myst » Sat, 4. Nov 17, 19:05

PowerTrip wrote:I found system override software, I bought it and found out its illegal....how do you use it?
It allows you to take control of un-owned ships (such as after getting a pilot to bail) from inside your ship, without having to go out EVA in your space suit. Being illegal, if a cop scans you and you have it onboard, they will flag it as contraband, with the usual repercussions. If you want to avoid that...
Spoiler
Show
...you can buy another system which I've only seen for sale at the Duke's Buccaneers headquarters in Lasting Vengeance, just south of Heaven's Assertion. It's called something like "software signature scrambler", or something along those lines... It's quite pricey, but worth it as a friend for your SOS, if you plan to have it installed permanently.
There's also a cheap way to get away with carrying that SOS (or any sort of contraband, for that matter), but it's conditional: you have to be flying a ship with docking bays and at least one docked vessel (so, for example, you could be in a TM, a TL, or any capital ship with docking bays, or the Hyperion Vanguard) - what you do is keep the contraband on the docked ship (using it as a sort of "false bottom"), and then it won't get scanned. When you need to use the SOS, you transfer it from the docked fighter to your carrier ship, use it, then stash it away again.

Happy hunting :)
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Override

Post by Bill Huntington » Sun, 5. Nov 17, 03:31

I never found the Override Software useful. A quick out-enter-dock usually works for me even in hostile environments. I tried it a few times. I had to get so close I bumped and damaged the ship I wanted. You need it when things are hostile. That's just when you don't to be immobile.

It was rumored at one time that you could take over ships with pilots with the Override software. I tried and couldn't.

I thought it might be useful when you boarded and captured M1s with a lot of M3s on board; that still belonged to the other guy. No luck there.

Parking the Override software inside is important. The Signal software doesn't work as advertised, if I recall correctly.
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Sun, 5. Nov 17, 06:03

If I don't have time to safely hop out and claim something then I don't have time to protect some broken down hulk that I claimed with override software.

Just my opinion.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Re: Override

Post by RAVEN.myst » Sun, 5. Nov 17, 06:07

Bill Huntington wrote:I never found the Override Software useful. A quick out-enter-dock usually works for me even in hostile environments. I tried it a few times. I had to get so close I bumped and damaged the ship I wanted. You need it when things are hostile. That's just when you don't to be immobile.
In calm conditions, it's certainly an extravagance :) I found it very useful when quickly claiming bailed Xenon ships in Xenon sectors, though. It is therefore highly useful for the last (I think?) mission in the Corporation Troubles plot.
Bill Huntington wrote: The Signal software doesn't work as advertised, if I recall correctly.
It works fine - I almost always buy the SOS at some point, but usually only when I can get the software signature gadget at the same time - I've been scanned countless times, never been busted when carrying both. (There is one quirk, though, which has to do with the sorting order of installed systems: when transferring these softwares between ships, the cloaking one can easily be overlooked and deemed missing, because it shows upnot where expected in the list - thus, it is quite easy to fail to transfer it along with the SOS, potentially leaving the latter unprotected from scans thereafter.)
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 5. Nov 17, 09:41

:headbang: I just realized that I've bought SSS/SOS a while ago, but have still kept doing spacewalks. Forgot that I have the gadget. :oops:

IMO, SOS makes sense in a non-hostile situation. A sector has over time filled up with blue hulks and you want to quickly scoop them all up.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Sun, 5. Nov 17, 10:42

jlehtone wrote::headbang: I just realized that I've bought SSS/SOS a while ago, but have still kept doing spacewalks. Forgot that I have the gadget. :oops:
:lol:
jlehtone wrote:IMO, SOS makes sense in a non-hostile situation. A sector has over time filled up with blue hulks and you want to quickly scoop them all up.
That's also a valid use, yup. :)

In a nutshell, I consider SOS far from useless - sure, it's not a "must-have", but it's certainly a very "nice to have" (for someone who bothers with bailed hulks - sometimes I do, often I don't, at least in the mid/late game...) As for the distance "problem" some mentioned, it's really quite simple: don't fly *at* the target, but rather a close fly-by - once within range (when the "Claim" option lights up), just snag it and veer away to make sure - ship claimed without even having to slow down (well, after a bit of practice... :D )
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 5. Nov 17, 11:39

[OT] @ Bill: "The Signal software doesn't work as advertised, if I recall correctly." You are thinking of Cargobay Shielding obtained from the Duke which is usually considered unreliable as a way of masking the carriage of contraband. [/OT]
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Thank you

Post by Bill Huntington » Sun, 5. Nov 17, 17:03

Thank you, Allan. Yes, I was thinking of Cargo Bay Shielding as the item that didn't work. It's been a while.
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

PowerTrip
x3tc

Post by PowerTrip » Mon, 6. Nov 17, 03:34

Thanks for all the replies....got it...
Live for Love. Strive for Peace. Fight for Freedom. Search for Truth. Shout for Justice. Look for Respect. Ask for Help. Pray for Wisdom. Allow for Change. Suffer for Nought. Die for Honor.

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Mon, 6. Nov 17, 04:10

I just want to add: The mentioned way to get the software signature scrambler only works in TC/AP in X3:R you have to search the blackboard of pirate stations for a sell-offer message.
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Mon, 6. Nov 17, 13:34

If all else fails, a magic trick is to equip it to a ship docked in a TM and the police will only scan the TM, and ignore the docked ships.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”