Fastest way to gain rep without fighting (TC)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Trevelvis
xr

Fastest way to gain rep without fighting (TC)

Post by Trevelvis » Tue, 17. Oct 17, 15:14

I need to start gaining ranks in rep for most races but I am rubbish at fighting and not sure about BBS missions as never know which ones are doable. Money isn't too much a problem . Is selling second resources to stations that need them a way or does it not count. Thanks

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Tue, 17. Oct 17, 15:40

Well, your final question ('secondary resources') suggests you're already thinking about trade, and that's good. As far as I know, secondary resources also count for reputation (from what I've seen, all transactions other than buying ships count, unless I'm forgetting something.)

Trading gains reputation fairly quickly when your rep is around the neutral level, but slows hugely as your relationship improves. For this reason, I highly recommend setting up some background trading that can keep gaining you reputation even as it also makes you money. Three main approaches spring to mind:

- Trade Command Software Mk.3 (sector traders and universe traders.) This is not my favoured approach, but some people like these, and so long as you keep them in sector trading mode, you can control where they operate, and thus which faction's favour you curry. Only freighters and trading capital required, but if you constrain the traders tightly, they will make you relatively little money - still, it's something. :)
- Commodity Logistics Software Mk.2. This is highly controllable (you set up very specific routes) which means that you can precisely control which faction you're buttering up. The downside is it can be quite a lot of work to set up and expand, even maintain, but if you're OK with that, it's a good way, and requires nothing more than freighters and trading capital.
- Commercial Agents working from a trading station of some sort. This one has some setup involved, as you will need either a trading station of some sort, which are expensive unless you have at least partial access to the Xenon Hub. You can target a particular faction by placement, as well as by focusing your trade on that race's specific crops and foodstuffs. Can be highly lucrative.

There's also another possible approach, related to the above: industry. You could set up factories or complexes that deal in the goods relevant to the faction you want to ingratiate yourself with. A good way to do this is to make food for them. For example: let's say you want to get more chummy with the Argon; you set up some Cahoona Bakeries. These use Argnu Beef which you buy from Argon (thus improving your standing with them) and produce Cahoonas which you sell back to Argon (again improving relations.) You could also, in this example, set up Rimes Facts, thus buying Wheat and selling Cloth Rimes, both of them Argon wares. In this manner, you "double-dip" by transacting with the desired faction on both ends of the production process. (Location will also influence this, of course, as if you place your factories within Argon space, your freighters can then buy energy from local ie. Argon sources, just to stick with the same example.)

Missions-wise, I've found one of the fastest ways is to undertake station construction missions. Of course, this requires some capital, and a TL ship is HIGHLY advantageous (though you CAN occasionally find missions that are doable with a hired TL - should you go this route, it pays to keep hired TLs docked at likely shipyards, so that you can seize opportunities if/when they present themselves.)

Good hunting! :)
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

Trevelvis
xr

Post by Trevelvis » Tue, 17. Oct 17, 16:32

I must admit I only have one sector trader so far in Empires Edge at lvl 10 but a bit dubious changing him to UT.

I haven't used CLS much before and haven't enough rep to buy a Trading Station yet.

My main problem is I can hardly land at any Split station and can't seem to find any pirates in their sectors even if i liked fighting so sector trading seems to be out for now. I want to gain rep with Split as want to buy an Elephant for my first TL so can then plant some Second resource stations.

I also have looked around for first stations thread but can't seem to find any worth while. With X2 and even Reunion I knew what first stations were needed but with TC its less obvious. So any tips there would be great also

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Tue, 17. Oct 17, 17:09

@ Trevelvis ... Down there in Empires Edge I hope you are not overlooking the easy profits from the humble Soja Bean/Husk market,,, make good trading profits,, The Rimes Fact is usually the first station I built on the profits I gained from that humble bean.... Rimes cloth always sold well, got burnt a few times in Cahoonas market... :)

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Tue, 17. Oct 17, 17:19

Trevelvis wrote:I must admit I only have one sector trader so far in Empires Edge at lvl 10 but a bit dubious changing him to UT.
No need to rush, especially until it hits lv12 - if I recall correctly (I haven't used STs/UTs in years, I prefer CAG and CLS for my auto-trading needs) that's when it gets a jumpdrive, which makes it a lot more useful. Also bear in mind: if you turn it into a UT (oh, and you can always switch it back to ST later, if you prefer, btw), it will dilute your reputation-gaining, as it will go wherever it finds the best trades; the advantage, however, is that while you're gaining rep slower, you'll be gaining it with everyone that you can trade with.
Trevelvis wrote: My main problem is I can hardly land at any Split station and can't seem to find any pirates in their sectors even if i liked fighting so sector trading seems to be out for now. I want to gain rep with Split as want to buy an Elephant for my first TL so can then plant some Second resource stations.
I'm currently re-playing X2, and as you may recall, in that game you face a similar issue with both Paranid and Split. I solved it without combat, by setting up a solar power plant in Paranid Prime and another in Thuruk's Pride, delivered crystals to both, and set the selling price low, to attract the locals. In short order, they were buying from me and thus raised my relations to the point where I could start docking with them. Now, in X3 the SPPs are WAAAAAY more expensive, as you know, but the principle should still apply, with some other station. You can't buy their food stations at this point, probably, so you need something that's universal - perhaps an ore or silicon mine in their turf, with ECell buying price set high and mineral sell price set low. You may run at a bit of a loss, but that may be an acceptable price for diplomacy - then, once you can dock at their stations, you can make the prices more profitable and use your own freighters to sell to their stations; that sort of proactive marketing will speed up your transactions, and thus also your "diplomatic efforts" :)

Good fortune!
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Tue, 17. Oct 17, 17:19

In the early stages, I usually keep an eye open for "scan asteroids" missions. Usually they're given by a race alien to the sector owner. A couple of those are often enough to allow entry to other races' core sectors, where I can conduct trading and take other missions to gain reputation.

PabloRSA
x4

Post by PabloRSA » Tue, 17. Oct 17, 18:19

There is a trick in the starting stages. Helps if you have a G15 keyboard but a macro program will work.

If you buy something then sell it back you gain a fraction of a pt with the race, this is nice to start when you are neutral.
I assume it is possible you could do this to top rank but would take days like that as it is easier to run missions.

If you have 0 fight rank do protect station missions you only get 1 M5 spawn let the npcs kill it you gain no fight rank but you do gain race rank.

If you want trade rank its all about getting the max profit so load up a XL superfraighter with energy cells ore or silicon at the lowest value and jump drive. Then when you come across a trade mission accept it and jump the freighter in and complete the mission.
If you have excess then you can usually sell to the station for big profit.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 17. Oct 17, 20:09

Doh! I thought the pacifists would have known: http://circleofatlantis.com/games/X3/pacifist.html

Alas, if they do, they won't tell the elementary details! :headbang:

If money and reputation were not a problem, then a Complex with Hammers, Flails and Tomahawks, and some M7M and M8 ships would bypass the personal combat issues. (Pacifist does not wan't to fight. That is different from not being able to fight.)

Return ship / Return abandoned ship can be difficult at start, but if/when you have a TM (quite cheap) with one ship that can carry M-cargo (Disco or M4) and both have a JumpDrive (and you have Transporter Device too), then you can easily make the returns in time.

"Return stolen ship" is practically impossible.

Most "deliver passengers/marines" missions are easy, if one has JumpDrive. Some require TP.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 17. Oct 17, 20:33

Trevelvis wrote:I must admit I only have one sector trader so far in Empires Edge at lvl 10 but a bit dubious changing him to UT....
Don't. If you're looking to increase your Paranid rep (for example), reset your sector trader as a 'local trader' by giving it a range of 2 or 3 sectors. That way, it will trade with just Paranid stations. Or if you need Argon rep (again, just for example), start it in Argon Prime with a range of 2 or 3 sectors. You see the pattern here?

Being a local trader means it's unlikely to encounter any bad guys that can harm it. And giving it a jumpdrive will enhance its ability to beat the NPC traders to the good deals in its range of operations.

I personally never use UT's since they have a tendency to get into trouble. I also find that LT's are generally more profitable and help the local economy a lot more, leading to more profits.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Trevelvis
xr

Post by Trevelvis » Tue, 17. Oct 17, 22:18

Nanook wrote:
Trevelvis wrote:I must admit I only have one sector trader so far in Empires Edge at lvl 10 but a bit dubious changing him to UT....
Don't. If you're looking to increase your Paranid rep (for example), reset your sector trader as a 'local trader' by giving it a range of 2 or 3 sectors. That way, it will trade with just Paranid stations. Or if you need Argon rep (again, just for example), start it in Argon Prime with a range of 2 or 3 sectors. You see the pattern here?

Being a local trader means it's unlikely to encounter any bad guys that can harm it. And giving it a jumpdrive will enhance its ability to beat the NPC traders to the good deals in its range of operations.

I personally never use UT's since they have a tendency to get into trouble. I also find that LT's are generally more profitable and help the local economy a lot more, leading to more profits.
Thanks I think i accidentally set my sector trader to local when he got stuck. Its the Split I need to work on as can only dock at a couple of stations, would the local trader manage there and if so would you recommend a start point.

Raztax
x4

Post by Raztax » Tue, 17. Oct 17, 23:49

Nanook wrote:

That's exactly how I increase my rep as well. Setting up traders in a local area like this keeps them out of trouble and in the faction space that you need to increase your rep with. It's a little slow going but it allows me to increase rep while I am off doing other things.

I have never used UT's. I would hate to lose money in lost ships/cargo

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Wed, 18. Oct 17, 00:36

To make the high numbers of rep points to advance through the higher ranks by trading is just a numbers game. A LOT of traders making a LOT of trades will get you a LOT of points. One trader might bump you through the lower ranks, but you have to "keep your foot on the gas" by adding traders as you progress.

One advantage of CLS networks is that they were initially designed to make ALL the trades...so a network operating in a reasonably small area can put your reputation with a race on 'cruise control.' For example, a "resource backbone" supplying food, bio, energy, and minerals in the six Boron sectors from Kingdom End to Atreus' Clouds will pretty much keep your rep moving up no matter how much trouble you make in the other Boron regions. Not that *I* would be causing trouble for the Boron, of course. :pirat:

The guide in my sig should give you the basics for setting up CLS networks if you want, and if you have questions just put CLS in the thread title and I'll usually try to answer pretty quickly.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Wed, 18. Oct 17, 04:28

Trevelvis wrote:Thanks I think i accidentally set my sector trader to local when he got stuck. Its the Split I need to work on as can only dock at a couple of stations, would the local trader manage there and if so would you recommend a start point.
A possible place would be Rhonkar's Clouds or Rhonkar's Fire with a range of or 3 (Thuruk's Pride would also do.) The idea here is to cover as much of that Split area as possible. If you can only dock at some Split stations, then that means that you have border access, but not core - I *think* the deployment I described covers both types; if so, then at first your freighter will only trade in the border sectors, but once your reputation rises sufficiently, it will start using the other sectors too. However, be sure you have a jumpdrive installed, so that it doesn't stray into core security sectors for the moment - from your description, I can't tell whether your assets will be shot at upon entering Split core security.

Given how it appears you don't have core access, the above suggestion is likely not the optimal one - a better way would be to select an area bordering Split territory and containing stations that trade goods that you can either buy or sell in the Split border sector/s. Thus, your LT becomes a sort of merchant emissary, not just trading between Split stations, but importing and exporting stuff. However, off the top of my head I can't tell you where to look (I'm currently playing X2, so my thinking is aligned to that at present), but maybe the area around Family Whi, which includes Teladi space on either side.

Right, need coffee, before I end up posting anything else as incoherent as the above (my apple-orgies! :D )
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

RainerPrem
x4

Re: Fastest way to gain rep without fighting (TC)

Post by RainerPrem » Wed, 18. Oct 17, 06:15

Trevelvis wrote:I need to start gaining ranks in rep for most races but I am rubbish at fighting and not sure about BBS missions as never know which ones are doable. Money isn't too much a problem . Is selling second resources to stations that need them a way or does it not count. Thanks
Hi,

to speak for the other choice: Nothing gets you reputation as fast as doing missions. You can always dock first before taking the mission and revert to that save if you see it's impossible. Which most missions are definitely not.

Transporting several persons or transporting a person with a TP always has enough time.

Station building as well. If you don't have a TL of your own you need to find out where to buy the station and check if there is a TL for hire in that sector.

Station defense in a sector where friendly fighters are available is easy as well, since there is no time limit.

Do you own a Kestrel? In that case Asteroid scanning and 1-person-transport is always doable.

"Bring us some special ware" depends on the condition if you own a fast ship which is large enough for the ware. With a Hyperion or Springblossom those missions always succeed.

cu
Rainer

Trevelvis
xr

Post by Trevelvis » Wed, 18. Oct 17, 11:04

Nanook wrote:

How do I reset a Sector trader to local trader, I did it once but can’t remember how, thx

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Wed, 18. Oct 17, 11:31

Trevelvis wrote:How do I reset a Sector trader to local trader, I did it once but can’t remember how, thx
"Local Trader" and "Sector Trader" are merely aspects of the same thing: a 'sector trader' is the same as a 'local trader' with range of 0 sectors. So, just start the sector trader command, and choose the range you want it to operate at. Just bear in mind the following when restarting a ST/UT command: the script tracks wares bought and sold - only wares bought by the script will be sold off, but when you start the command this record is cleared; therefore, any wares on board at the time will be ignored by the script and never sold, so make sure you sell off anything you don't want sitting around cluttering the cargo hold, before you restart the command (or restart it after the trader has completed its current buy-sell cycle.)
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

Trevelvis
xr

Post by Trevelvis » Wed, 18. Oct 17, 11:40

When I start a Sector trader it doesn’t offer a range of sectors just says ok when I click on Sector.

Maybe I need to be a certain lvl of Sector trader as seems to work later on.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Wed, 18. Oct 17, 13:20

Trevelvis wrote:When I start a Sector trader it doesn’t offer a range of sectors just says ok when I click on Sector.

Maybe I need to be a certain lvl of Sector trader as seems to work later on.
Yes, that's correct - they gain the ability to do local trading at level 6 or 8, I forget which. At that level, they get a maximum range of 1, and then that gradually grows as they level up - you will need to restart the command whenever you want to expand (or reduce) the trade range, specifying the new parameter.
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

Trevelvis
xr

Post by Trevelvis » Wed, 18. Oct 17, 14:36

Yep, thanks all for all the advice , the local traders seemed to have worked well, want to try CLS 2 but struggle with stuff as have mild learning difficulties and memory very bad but will try . I only need one more rep to get my Elephant so things looking good :-)

PabloRSA
x4

Post by PabloRSA » Wed, 18. Oct 17, 14:39

havent played for a while, only just restarted X3AP the other week so havent got UT/ST.

Does the UT not have a blacklist?
Could you set the blacklist to every sector except the race you want to gain rep with?
Minstral with a JD.

Additional!! Later stage..
If you have access to the hub you could also bridge a few race areas with the ST, set the hub as home and a 3 JD area becomes a 6 / 9 JD area.

Edit:
You can then set up 3 cags to get energy/ore cheap form the universe.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”