Bladerunner 2049

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

RegisterMe
x4

Bladerunner 2049

Post by RegisterMe » Sat, 14. Oct 17, 01:24

It's very, very good.

Beautifully shot, well acted, clever, lots of references, intricate, ambiguous, and I want to see it again (and probably again).

Is it perfect? No. Is it a masterpiece? Not sure yet. But it just might be.

No spoilers please :).

(also mods, I'm sure I posted about this before but can't find it, if I did, or if somebody else did, please merge this in - thanks :) ).
Last edited by RegisterMe on Sat, 14. Oct 17, 12:47, edited 1 time in total.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

korio
Moderator (Español)
Moderator (Español)
x4

Post by korio » Sat, 14. Oct 17, 01:35

The only bit i didnt like was the end.

The rest of the movie is very very nice, but imo the old one has even a "darker" atmosphere that i liked more.

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Sat, 14. Oct 17, 01:40

Not going to pay to watch this. Maybe it is a good movie. But I highly doubt it. These days even below mediocre movies are considered as good as there hardly are any good movies being released. I've just seen too many remakes, sequels or prequels that should hav been done in the 1980s.
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Sat, 14. Oct 17, 12:12

I liked this a lot. The original is one of my favourite movies ever, and I think I'm going to need to see this one a bit more before I really decide how they stack up... but I came out of the cinema thinking "that felt like Blade Runner", and I agree with all of RM's comments on it.

Denis Villeneuve is rapidly becoming one of my favourite directors - Arrival was probably my favourite film last year.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sat, 14. Oct 17, 12:47

red assassin wrote:... but I came out of the cinema thinking "that felt like Blade Runner"
Yeah, the easiest way of putting it is that if you didn't enjoy the first one you won't enjoy this one.
I can't breathe.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sat, 14. Oct 17, 15:24

I read that it didn't do well in the box office on its opening weekend.

But then neither did the original, did it? I think it didn't anyway.

Who cares, nothing was going to stop me watching this and making up my own mind.

So I'm going to watch it, probably not in the cinema, our weekends are a bit too full right now, but we pretty much have a home cinema thing going in our bedroom (minus a sound system), so that's almost as good, and easier to manage.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Sat, 14. Oct 17, 16:00

Like Mr Badger I am going to savour Blade 2049 in peaceful isolation ... Good headphones and BluRay, hopefully avoiding any spoilers...
Poor Box Office takings in the U.S market I deem as a good sign of an intelligent thought provoking film.... :)

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Sun, 15. Oct 17, 21:38

Good film, not my favourite of the year, but a good film that I enjoyed. Not that popular, with only 12 people in an auditorium made for about 200, but never mind. Not as good as the first either, but with a similar atmosphere.

One thing really niggles me though, why on earth did they set it in 2049? That is way too close for so many changes and I found that irritating. A small thing but one that would have been easily avoided. Yes I know the first one was set in 2019, but that is no excuse really.
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Sun, 15. Oct 17, 22:40

greypanther wrote:One thing really niggles me though, why on earth did they set it in 2049? That is way too close for so many changes and I found that irritating. A small thing but one that would have been easily avoided. Yes I know the first one was set in 2019, but that is no excuse really.
It's explicitly an alternate universe that continues the original's timeline, i.e. at the point the film is set it's 70 years diverged from reality. I'm not really sure why that's a problem?
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sun, 15. Oct 17, 22:43

Yep it's deliberate and explicit, hence the Pan Am advert close to the start of the film.
I can't breathe.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Sun, 15. Oct 17, 23:12

No not a problem, it just annoys me, odd to you two maybe, but then again I only think this is a decent film, but not as good as the original one. I would also compare it to Alien Covenant, which I found better than I expected. Unfortunately, this film was not as good as I hoped for. Both were a good way to spend some time though. Entertainment. I will not be watching it again, unlike the original, which I have watched many times.

It is a good job we all do not like the same thing eh? :wink:
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

berth
x4

Post by berth » Mon, 16. Oct 17, 00:49

I enjoyed it. Perhaps a little too long but it looked great and the soundscape was pretty overwhelming at times (in a good way). Strong performances all round, particularly by The Ford. Atmosphere was spot on (more snowy than rainy though).

I'd watch it again, which is a rarity these days.

Having seen the original many many times, it's difficult to judge how well it stands alone - the salient plot points from the first film are covered but I can imagine the uninitiated saying "wut?" at times.

Rednoahl
x4

Post by Rednoahl » Mon, 16. Oct 17, 10:11

Blade Runner was one of the first films I saw on a vcr, and I suspect that was how a lot of folks saw it back in the day. For me the original is among a batch of films tv that I consider essential to own and so since I've not enjoyed a single film that has come out since Team America knowing there is a sequel has me worried.

I'm somewhat relieved to hear it's good, especially after hollywood did a number on ghost in the shell. What continues to amaze me about the original Blade Runner is just how much it has influenced sci-fi since it's release - will the sequel have similar impact?

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Mon, 16. Oct 17, 11:02

I've... Not seen the original. I saw a few bits of it back in the day, but the VHS copy I got of it was so dark and grainy it was unwatchable. I did look into getting the DVD, but with 900 different versions available (And 1,800 opinions as to which to watch) I threw my hands up in disgust.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 16. Oct 17, 11:47

I first saw Bladerunner in High School. I think it was on "Laserdisk." It was presented to us over a week or so, with discussion sessions, in our "Science Fiction" literature class...

Yes, we had a literature class called "Science Fiction" in high school and it was as awesome as it sounds. (Taught by an equally awesome teacher who was a fighter-pilot in WW-II. :) )

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Mon, 16. Oct 17, 13:03

Its certainly a decent sequel I think even the most hardened Blade Runner fan would be hard pressed not to like 2049.

Without spoilers I'd say

Pro's:
- It fits in well with the original
- Beautifully presented its a visual experience in itself
- well acted by all
- Disturbingly real sense of the future, good scifi in that respect
- You get much more background and PoV from Replicants
- Lots of deep Vangelis style saw wave synths
- more emotive content than the original imho

Con's:
- Its not film noir
- Some of the final scenes don't fully make sense (discontinuity) to me but maybe I missed a subtle point or two along the way
- Some good material in the book was still left untouched
- probably a little too long or padded where there could have been more going on not action per se but drama

I'll definitely watch it again and I would recommend you go see it.

I think the directors next project is Dune series so that will be worth keeping an eye on.

Kapakio
x4

Post by Kapakio » Mon, 16. Oct 17, 17:08

I agree in general with BigBANGtheory opinion of Pros and cons.

One con that I would like to add, I found the Jared Leto's character too caricatural and exagerated and I think it was not because of poor acting, but poor character development.

I't was hard to understand the motivations of what he did. Some actions where pointless or even against his apparent intentions.

But good film in general

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Mon, 16. Oct 17, 17:37

He was absolutely me least liked character in the film. Not a patch on his equivalent in the first.
I can't breathe.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Mon, 16. Oct 17, 22:59

RegisterMe wrote:He was absolutely me least liked character in the film. Not a patch on his equivalent in the first.
I thought he did ok tbh, it could of had a more corporate spin but then you'd risk running into RoboCop territory.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 27. Dec 17, 15:46

Just found this topic and even if its 2 months old I feel I need to share a few words as the year comes to end and there are not that many good movies to speak of.

Blade Runner 2049 is the best movie of 2017 and for me its better than the original as it not only takes the premise of the first one, but expands on it. Waiting on the dvd release to see it more times and discover all the layers and bits I missed. But from watching it and then scavenging the internet for people discussing it I know it will be like the original one where we theorize around it for ages to come. That alone qualifies as a great movie, obviously this wont work if people dont like to discuss movies, or rather like movies that "end" as they leave the theatre.

As the original, this movie struggles at the box-office and once more, Hollywood executives are told to prioritise the making of mindless, empty spectacle cash-grabs, instead of well crafted artistry that is both stunning and thought-provoking. Not that there is no place for both, the imbalance is just going to grow and we will suffer more Transformers crap, more senseless reboots, more make the same crap again but this time put people with vaginas as leads, or flat out cashgrabs like the emojy movie. Sorry for the unexpected rant...

Lastly I just wanted to say I hope the guy that made the cinematography finally wins an Oscar and thus gets some recognition for his excellent work, there is NOTHING even remotely close to be as as good as this.

MFG

Ketraar

Return to “Off Topic English”