AP/TC How to check number of docking ports in each station?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

bbn
x4

AP/TC How to check number of docking ports in each station?

Post by bbn » Sat, 14. Oct 17, 17:23

I was wandering if there was an easy way to check how many ships can dock in a given station. I search the forums, but I haven't found a definite answer yet. I know that station with internal hangars/docks can host unlimited number of fighters. But I'm still struggling with finding a method to come up with how many docking ports different stations have. The only way for now is to build the station and docking as much ships as possible...

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Sat, 14. Oct 17, 17:53

The only mysteries are docks and trading stations. Regular manufacturing type stations dock five small ships, and complex hubs dock twenty small ships.

For docks and trading stations I'd say the easiest way to really know would be to go into a modded game, script up one of each and a flock of ships, and send the flock to each one in turn. If I tried to tell you what I think, based on what I've read here or there on the internet, the level of certainty would drop quite a bit.

Even with the more "reliable" internet sources you always have to wonder if they are current. Sometimes things change. AP changes a lot of things. Most things that I think I know because I tested them myself are actually still tentative for me, since I am playing AP but tested them back in TC.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Sat, 14. Oct 17, 18:44

Here's some incomplete and potentially inaccurate and/or out of date information:
http://www.x3wiki.com/index.php/Docking

I seem to recall seeing that the Xenon Hub has 25 hangar and/or docking clamp slots, but if so, the info has been removed.
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Sat, 14. Oct 17, 19:06

RAVEN.myst wrote:Here's some incomplete and potentially inaccurate and/or out of date information:
http://www.x3wiki.com/index.php/Docking
At first glance change "potentially inaccurate" to "horribly wrong on many counts." At least based on my remembered experiences.

Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

bbn
x4

Post by bbn » Sat, 14. Oct 17, 20:56

Tim, Raven, thanks for the answers!

It is really funny that you answered Tim, as I am wondering about docking ports wrt. to applying some of the strategies you described in your CLS guide :D

I don't mind modified tag for my game (actually, I don't imaging playing X3 without some mods :P ), so I'll use the scripting approach.

Thanks again!

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Sun, 15. Oct 17, 02:22

bbn wrote:Tim, Raven, thanks for the answers!

It is really funny that you answered Tim, as I am wondering about docking ports wrt. to applying some of the strategies you described in your CLS guide :D

I don't mind modified tag for my game (actually, I don't imaging playing X3 without some mods :P ), so I'll use the scripting approach.

Thanks again!
For what it's worth, I run that kind of scripting experimentation all the time, and then just go back to a save made before the experiment and I'm back to unmodded. At least it used to work that way. My game has a permanent modded tag nowadays because I'm playing with an 'overhead costs' mod.

For purposes of my CLS networking systems: Complex hubs dock 20 freighters and such. That's one reason I almost always use two station complexes; two stations that could dock ten can dock twenty instead, double dip, while ten stations that could dock fifty can still only dock twenty if you complex them, not a win.

EDIT: And thanks for the shoutout, I hope you get fun and profits out of trying my ideas. If questions come up...I'm in and out of here pretty frequently and if the thread title has "CLS" in it you can pretty much count on me answering. I may or may not have an actual answer, but I'll at least say hello.

Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Sun, 15. Oct 17, 18:13

I don't know about the Hub, but for the other stations, you can use F3, target view, on them and just look at how many 5-port docking claws they have. They're pretty visible. Most docks have two, but when I did this a while back to find a suitable trade dock for my purposes, there were two exceptions I still remember. The Split Equipment Dock has 3 and the Teladi Trade Station has only 1.

And of course, there's the Boron Equipment Dock for storing unlimited medium-class ships, AP only though. But my experience suggests it may cause problems for docking capital class ships if there's more than 300 ships in the Dock. They seem to take forever to dock unless you look in the sector map and perhaps cancel and reorder them to dock.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sun, 15. Oct 17, 21:13

If you're storing infinite fighter classes, the Teladi and Argon both have the internal docking for them. For TS, I dock them at one of the race super shipyards, Cloudbase Southeast for preference just because I'm always friendly with the Argon. Those sectors will almost always have capital patrol fleets more than capable of dealing with anything that can threaten the station.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”