[4.21 HF1] BUG - Visual bug in asteroid zones (OL / Murky Skies) - Being investigated

Feedback and information for X Rebirth VR Edition

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Reprisal
x4

[4.21 HF1] BUG - Visual bug in asteroid zones (OL / Murky Skies) - Being investigated

Post by Reprisal » Sun, 24. Sep 17, 04:49

VR: Vive through SteamVR
GPU: Aorus (Gigabyte) GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme 11GB
Driver Version: 385.69
Supersampling: Video is 2.0, tested with 0.9 and 1.0, same result.
Windows 10 Home - 10.0.15063 Build 15063
i7-7700K CPU @ stock speed
16.0 GB DDR4-3600 RAM

Video: https://youtu.be/H07ZsNnVJQ0?t=35

Savegame: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByB1Zk ... sp=sharing

Savegame Extensions: (The issue happens without these extensions)
alexalsp_cheat_menu
show skills
xenonhunt3

The bug seems to be related to zones with a lot of asteroids in them, as there is another system where it occurs (DeVries?). This issue has been occurring on my current PC and old PC, across 2 different GPUs (1070 and 1080Ti), 3+ GPU driver versions and prior to the 4.21 update.

Bazza
x3tc

Post by Bazza » Sun, 24. Sep 17, 06:41

I've had the same thing in Devries. I have same driver and exact same Video card (Aorus xtreme). CPU is i7 3770K@4.5
Win7 64bit. 8gig ram.
ZORK, IW2:EOC, GIANTS, NOLF 1, Runaway, Gothic I&II, Mafia, Arx Fatalis, Divine Divinity, Vietcong... I Loved Those Games

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Tue, 26. Sep 17, 10:14

I have an idea of what could be happening, but when loading the savegame I don't get the situation shown in the video...

Could it be that you guys "cheated" the view/lod-distances in the config.xml to something beyond 100% (which is the max you can set in the options-menu)?

On a sidenote, if you observe a situation like this it would be cool to also get
- the options.xml, so I definitely have the same settings
- a screenshot, specifically the matching .txt file ( which contains universe-coordinates, which make it very easy for me to jump to the _exact_ spot ).

Bazza
x3tc

Post by Bazza » Tue, 26. Sep 17, 11:19

rboerdijk wrote:I have an idea of what could be happening, but when loading the savegame I don't get the situation shown in the video...

Could it be that you guys "cheated" the view/lod-distances in the config.xml to something beyond 100% (which is the max you can set in the options-menu)?

On a sidenote, if you observe a situation like this it would be cool to also get
- the options.xml, so I definitely have the same settings
- a screenshot, specifically the matching .txt file ( which contains universe-coordinates, which make it very easy for me to jump to the _exact_ spot ).
Oh no, now that you mention it, I changed the lod and view distance to 200 due to the object pop-in. I completely forgot about that. Sorry! I changed lod back to 100 and it seems fine now. (Apart from the pop-in model detail :) )
ZORK, IW2:EOC, GIANTS, NOLF 1, Runaway, Gothic I&II, Mafia, Arx Fatalis, Divine Divinity, Vietcong... I Loved Those Games

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Tue, 26. Sep 17, 11:37

Thanks for the feedback, so that does explain it :)

Unofficial suggestion: You are running into an engine limitation - but you could try and figure out what the threshold is, maybe 125 or 150 would still work...

Reprisal
x4

Post by Reprisal » Tue, 26. Sep 17, 12:35

Thank you for the reply.

I haven't edited the config file, I'm only used in game options.

Where is the options.xml located? I've found config.xml in:
\Documents\Egosoft\X Rebirth VR\randomnumber

Config.xml here

The screenshot and text file aren't the same as the video.

Screenshot

Screenshot text file

Lowering LOD to minimum doesn't fix it.

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Fri, 29. Sep 17, 22:46

Yes, the config.xml is the correct file I meant :)

Try changing the view-distance to something smaller. I'll give it a try with your settings, but can do that earliest somewhere next week.

Bazza
x3tc

Post by Bazza » Sun, 1. Oct 17, 06:47

I have a feeling Supersampling also plays a role in this. Murky Skies is a good test spot as its really obvious. I did notice the effect seemed reduced the lower SS is set. Its still there at SS 1.0 though just less pronounced. With higher SS i couldn't play in this area at all.

Bazza
x3tc

Post by Bazza » Sun, 15. Oct 17, 09:24

Was there any progress on this?

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Tue, 17. Oct 17, 14:06

I took another look, but I can't get the graphics artifacts to appear in murky skies (on ultra graphics quality).

There are however quite a lot of asteroids (too many to be feasible for VR), so I tuned it down by 50%. There are still many(!) remaining, so even this might not have been enough. It would be nice if you can give it a try when we release the next patch.

Bazza
x3tc

Post by Bazza » Tue, 17. Oct 17, 15:37

rboerdijk wrote:I took another look, but I can't get the graphics artifacts to appear in murky skies (on ultra graphics quality).

There are however quite a lot of asteroids (too many to be feasible for VR), so I tuned it down by 50%. There are still many(!) remaining, so even this might not have been enough. It would be nice if you can give it a try when we release the next patch.
Will do. Thanks for the feedback.

Return to “X Rebirth VR Edition”